Great photo - Shaw, Waddell and Young.

One of the benefits of being an old guy is having had the privilege of having watched these great Rangers in action. My first Rangers team was Brown, Young and Shaw, McColl, Woodburn, Cox, Waddell, Gillick, Thornton, Duncanson and Caskie. The memories are precious.

I remember back in the early 80s, me and my dad were going past the main stand towards the Copland when we bumped into Jimmy Duncanson.
For my dad it was a bit like me meeting a boyhood hero like Colin Stein or Willie Johnston. They must have blethered for a good 10 minutes reminiscing about the old days. If only we had camera phones back then.

I remember back in the early 80s, me and my dad were going past the main stand towards the Copland when we bumped into Jimmy Duncanson.
For my dad it was a bit like me meeting a boyhood hero like Colin Stein or Willie Johnston. They must have blethered for a good 10 minutes reminiscing about the old days. If only we had camera phones sssback then.
Must have been a great occasion for your dad and you. My first Rangers goal, as a wee boy, was scored by Jimmy Duncanson.

Yes, George Young was a very fine footballer but was also a lovely person. It would be over 20 years now, when I had a friend who was a resident in a care home near Slamannan. George Young was a resident at the same time and the staff and others spoke of how nice he was.

State of the boots is what stood out to me. The predators of their time no doubt.
I'll be honest - I was disappointed in the boots. In the early 70s I often played school rugby in the morning and BB football in the afternoon and wore my Adidas Flanker boots for both - but changing the aluminium studs for rubber ones when I played football:

T6YIqlq.jpg

I always washed them under the outside tap when I got home then, the next day, liberally applied dubbin to them so they looked immaculate.

Scotland must have had a mentally challenged boot boy the day that photo was taken.

I'll be honest - I was disappointed in the boots. In the early 70s I often played school rugby in the morning and BB football in the afternoon and wore my Adidas Flanker boots for both - but changing the aluminium studs for rubber ones when I played football:

T6YIqlq.jpg

I always washed them under the outside tap when I got home then, the next day, liberally applied dubbin to them so they looked immaculate.

Scotland must have had a mentally challenged boot boy the day that photo was taken.
I guess the boots in the photo were used for training sessions. I find it difficult to believe Bill Struth would allow any of his players wear boots in the condition of Waddell’s boots in a game.

Could you build your Rangers team of today around these three ?

What kind of transfer fees would they go for ?

I haven’t seen much of any of them, a little bit too young for that but have of course read about all of them.

Anyway, away from the shambles that is Scottish football today, I thought I’d post this and brighten the day up a little. Just arrived in the mail.

Brilliant photo, brilliant strip and check those boots out

Has this photo been embellished? Just looking at the date (April 1950) it may be that the final picture printed in the magazine is not what was originally taken.

The badge makes no sense unless they were playing for Scotland but the colour of the shirts - and socks - definitely signifies Rangers. And one of the shirts doesn’t actually have the badge!

Photo alteration may also explain the brown (rather than black) boots but I believe years and years ago some boots were brown.

Without getting away from the original subject too much, since there has been some talk of the boots, this is from the August edition, same year, of the same magazine.

I dont know how a centre half can be your favourite player.
My old man was a
6ft 4 ex army man.
I came in one night and raved about Terry Butcher he turned round and said youve never seen a player unless you seen Big Geordie Young.
He then got a bit animated and grabbed me and said what a man!
First time i felt humbled as regards my Da talking about Rangers players.

Has this photo been embellished? Just looking at the date (April 1950) it may be that the final picture printed in the magazine is not what was originally taken.

The badge makes no sense unless they were playing for Scotland but the colour of the shirts - and socks - definitely signifies Rangers. And one of the shirts doesn’t actually have the badge!

Photo alteration may also explain the brown (rather than black) boots but I believe years and years ago some boots were brown.
Could have been, it seems a bit strange otherwise.

Back