Great photo - Shaw, Waddell and Young.

Texas ranger

Could you build your Rangers team of today around these three ?

What kind of transfer fees would they go for ?

I haven’t seen much of any of them, a little bit too young for that but have of course read about all of them.

Anyway, away from the shambles that is Scottish football today, I thought I’d post this and brighten the day up a little. Just arrived in the mail.

That is Magnificent.
WATP
Yip.

I bought a lot of thirty eight of these magazines to get that picture and read the article. But it’s worth it.

To be fair there is quite a bit of football coverage ( Bobby Charlton , Sir Stanley Matthews, vintage Olympics ( Melbourne 1956) and lots more in the lot as well so that’ll help broaden my education of sports in the 1940’s / 50’s.

I haven’t seen much of any of them, a little bit too young for that but have of course read about all of them.

Anyway, away from the shambles that is Scottish football today, I thought I’d post this and brighten the day up a little. Just arrived in the mail.

I love these threads. We're all about our history and major contribution to Scottish football.

Outfcknstanding !

I love these old photos,, brings back a lot of glorious memories with my old man at the games.....

I hoped you would see this and post on the thread. :)

Thank you for posting. It's a fantastic article. I'm sure i've seen the pic before but don't think I've seen the accompanying article.

What's amazing as well is that the dressing room has hardly changed at all since that article. The wooden panelling, the pipes underneath....... even through modernisation, we've kept the tradition, allowing the seamless handover of the club from generation to generation.

Could be wrong, but have Waddel and Shaw got that badge because they'd been capped by Scotland when it was taken and Young hadn't? A far bigger deal (and harder to get) back in the day, could be way off but that was my initial thought.

Could be wrong, but have Waddel and Shaw got that badge because they'd been capped by Scotland when it was taken and Young hadn't? A far bigger deal (and harder to get) back in the day, could be way off but that was my initial thought.
Nope, unfortunately the order for full international caps was WIllie Waddell, George Young then Tiger. Wondering if it might have anything to do with Scottish League XI ?

Nope, unfortunately the order for full international caps was WIllie Waddell, George Young then Tiger. Wondering if it might have anything to do with Scottish League XI ?

Honestly no idea, my original post was the only explanation I had and it's an era well, well before my time.

Brilliant article....

"Shaw, who operates a newsagents in glenboig, where he now resides, has a family of two - a boy and a girl"

That boy and girl are now 80 and 78 respectively :)):)):))
And I will bet those children are still as proud of their Dad today as they were back in the day.

Superb photo!

When footballers were real men.

One of the benefits of being an old guy is having had the privilege of having watched these great Rangers in action. My first Rangers team was Brown, Young and Shaw, McColl, Woodburn, Cox, Waddell, Gillick, Thornton, Duncanson and Caskie. The memories are precious.

That same X1, that my old man taught me when I was still in primary school, maybe represented the club a dozen times in total. Yet it is the post war side that trips off the tongue.

That same X1, that my old man taught me when I was still in primary school, maybe represented the club a dozen times in total. Yet it is the post war side that trips off the tongue.

It must have been the forward line that had the changes as the Iron Curtain at the back played together hundreds of times. I think.

It must have been the forward line that had the changes as the Iron Curtain at the back played together hundreds of times. I think.

Yes indeed. The Iron Curtain had a remarkable level of consistency, but you had Billy Williamson, Wullie Rae, Wullie McCulloch, Eddie Rutherford, Wullie Paton, Wullie Findlay who all contributed greatly to the cause in the post WW2 era.

Back