Great players you have never seen play well

Yep, him.

Totti and Seedorf for me too, always just looked bang average when I tuned in.

Totti was a bit like that boy Christie Celtic had. Wanted to do everything but nothing seemed to ever come off.

Seedorf gave the ball away just about every time he got it and is probably one of the most decorated players in history!
Ronaldinho, Totti and Seedorf :))

What a thread

Grealish, Griezmann and Bale

Wouldn't say any were great in general though.

Biggest one for me is Hudson-Odoi. I don't think I have ever seen him do anything good and he is getting bids of 45m from Bayern :D must be decent though.

I thought Ibrahimovic was absolute dung every time I watched him up to a certain point in his career and then he seemed to turn awesome. Neymar I never got the fuss about. Don't get me started on Grealish.

There's been a few for Scotland who never seemed to replicate their club form. Dalglish certainly but Gary MacAllister drove me nuts with endless poor set pieces when he could put the ball on a two bob bit for his club sides, Brian McClair was awful in a Scottish shirt and through to Andy Robertson these days. Guys like Hansen and Souness were immense for Liverpool and then were no more than decent for the national team. In fact, there's a running theme here... Scotland are generally pish.

Biggest one for me is Hudson-Odoi. I don't think I have ever seen him do anything good and he is getting bids of 45m from Bayern :D must be decent though.
I was going to mention him, but I remember him having a good second half against West Brom once.

It's the nature of the thread though, players who are obviously rated as world class that you didn't see! :))
I think it was about players considered great that you have seen play a few times and have never impressed

Totti for me
619 appearances for Roma, 250 goals.

I never rated him, always felt let down watching him play on TV.

Clearly he was class, but he never blew me away the way Del Piero did for example. (very similar stats).

Ronaldinho, November 2001, PSG at Ibrox, he was practically awol.
I remember being at that game. It was a pretty poor,uneventful game if I remember rightly, and Ronaldinho was just that on the night.

He then went on to be my favourite all time player :)

Yep, him.

Totti and Seedorf for me too, always just looked bang average when I tuned in.

Totti was a bit like that boy Christie Celtic had. Wanted to do everything but nothing seemed to ever come off.

Seedorf gave the ball away just about every time he got it and is probably one of the most decorated players in history!

I never understood the Totti hype either.

Sadio Mane. Any time I see him play for Liverpool he seems to just give the ball away constantly and run into cul de sacs

Dele Alli.

Supposedly a great player, but I don't see it with him. Maybe i've not watched him enough over the years, or missed his peak. Maybe I just don't understand or appreciate his ability.

Grealish, Griezmann and Bale

Wouldn't say any were great in general though.

Bales hat trick in the San Siro was one of the best individual performances where a player has carried their team. He was on fire

I rarely ever saw Dimitar Berbatov have a “brilliant” game and was mystified when Sir Alex forked out £35m for him (an astronomical sum at the time).

Bales hat trick in the San Siro was one of the best individual performances where a player has carried their team. He was on fire

Not really, Spurs were about 4-0 down, inter took their foot off the gass and Bale blitzed them for pace a few times. All of this after being on the wrong end of a 4-0 score line.

Not really, Spurs were about 4-0 down, inter took their foot off the gass and Bale blitzed them for pace a few times. All of this after being on the wrong end of a 4-0 score line.
Still was an outstanding performance if I remember correctly, I’m sure that was the season he was pinging goals from everywhere and seemed about twice as fast as every player on the pitch! Haha

You couldn't have been at Ibrox in 2007 then? Sensational that night. One of the great visiting performances.
Yeah his performance that night is the best I’ve seen someone play in person. Every time he got the ball he terrorised our defence

Ryan Giggs.
Think in 20+ season he scored over 10 league goals twice and most was 13 goals in a season.
In his last ten years in the EPL he averaged less than 3 league goals per season.

Messi. Don’t watch football outside of Rangers and any time I’ve sat down to watch Barcelona in the latter stages of the Champions League or a World Cup, he really has never impressed me that much. He might have scored the odd or had a nice piece of skill or whatever, but I’ve never actually seen a game live, for 90 minutes on TV and he’s never left me thinking how the hell did he do that? Seen his highlights reel plenty of times and am in no doubt of his talent, but whenever I watch a game his in live, I’ve never been left speechless.
Not sure if serious...

Still was an outstanding performance if I remember correctly, I’m sure that was the season he was pinging goals from everywhere and seemed about twice as fast as every player on the pitch! Haha
To be fair his running power in his prime was really impressive.

This will probably seem ridiculous but my pick is Kaka.

I mean a know he's a great player but not when I've seen him. He's never stood out or looked like anything special.

Dele Alli.

Supposedly a great player, but I don't see it with him. Maybe i've not watched him enough over the years, or missed his peak. Maybe I just don't understand or appreciate his ability.
He fell into the young exciting English talent when he came through like many of them do down south with the massive hype job. Think Declan Rice is another one at the moment gets some amount of praise but I just don't see it at all with him.

Ribery was my main one moved around for some amouny of transfer fees but just never seen it with him. Aaron Ramsey another one not sure how he got a move to Juventus.

That Belotti for Torino and Italy. Rumours of all top English clubs being after him and watched him at the Euros and he looked like he's never seen a ball in his life. Couldn't even do basic things right.
He looks more like a serial killer than a top player

Pogba for me. Seen him have flashes during games but never take 1 by the scruff of the neck and run it for 90 minutes.

Back