Great players you have never seen play well

Pogba is highly over-rated, he rarely seems to play well for Man Utd.

He can be a great player when he is bothered because when he does play well he plays very very well, but it is once in a blue moon.

A very temperamental and very lazy player, but has great footballing abilities.

It's not really TBH, you have just missed the jist of the thread.

A lot of people don't have the time, interest or passion to simply consume endless hours of football and have have maybe only seen a lot of these players play a couple of times.
Aye OK I'll join in then Pele, Maradonna, and Cruyff they didn't do much when I saw them. ;)

Has McClair ever really been branded by anyone as a great player? Hard worker maybe, good professional maybe but never heard of him referenced as a great.
Aye I got carried away there although Alex Ferguson said McClair was his best ever signing but what does he know? Thinking about it ,only Dalglish and Souness from those players could be described as great.

He can be a great player when he is bothered because when he does play well he plays very very well, but it is once in a blue moon.

Seems to save his best stuff for France.

So he is a great player you HAVE seen play well? Or very, very well as you say?

*reads OP again* Ahh it doesn't matter....

David Trezeguet. Always poor when I watched him.

Shitebag as well. Remember watching a penalty shootout years ago, canny remember if it was with France or Juve, but basically before he ran up you could see on his face that he was missing. Looked absolutely terrified.

A certain Steven Gerrard playing v Southampton (Saints won 2.0). Totally ineffective and in his defense I'd say he was carrying an injury.

Aye I got carried away there although Alex Ferguson said McClair was his best ever signing but what does he know? Thinking about it ,only Dalglish and Souness from those players could be described as great.
I think Ferguson was probably refering to the McClair's attitude. Remember how he was happy to humour Ferguson and sit on the bench or in the stand week after week season after season? Until he got a big move back to Motherwell. Whatever ability he had he pretty much wasted it as a bench warmer which stopped him kicking on, if he had that in him of course. Dalglish and Souness were pretty good though as you say.

I had TalkSport on in the motor on my way home tonight and they were talking about Kane and his lack of form. It got me thinking a little and I do not think I have ever seen him have a 'great' game. I have seen him play ok, not bad, average, good even but never 'great'. His stats and the regard he are held in mean that, pretty fucking obviously, me not having seen him have a great game does not mean he is not a great player but genuinely, if I was asked to describe him purely on minutes seen on the park, I would have him down as an average jobbing EPL striker.

I got to wondering if that was pretty common for people, particularly watching fewer foreign games maybe. Have you seen a player who is regarded as a great a handful of times and only seen 'meh' performances and maybe wondered if the hype was real?

*Just to be clear, because this is FF and not being clear leads to stupid arguments, I am NOT saying he is not a great player, just that I personally have only seen average any time I have seen him.
Inzaghi and
I had TalkSport on in the motor on my way home tonight and they were talking about Kane and his lack of form. It got me thinking a little and I do not think I have ever seen him have a 'great' game. I have seen him play ok, not bad, average, good even but never 'great'. His stats and the regard he are held in mean that, pretty fucking obviously, me not having seen him have a great game does not mean he is not a great player but genuinely, if I was asked to describe him purely on minutes seen on the park, I would have him down as an average jobbing EPL striker.

I got to wondering if that was pretty common for people, particularly watching fewer foreign games maybe. Have you seen a player who is regarded as a great a handful of times and only seen 'meh' performances and maybe wondered if the hype was real?

*Just to be clear, because this is FF and not being clear leads to stupid arguments, I am NOT saying he is not a great player, just that I personally have only seen average any time I have seen him.
inzaghi and Raul. Both scored a lot of goals agreed but never seen either have a good game

I think Ferguson was probably refering to the McClair's attitude. Remember how he was happy to humour Ferguson and sit on the bench or in the stand week after week season after season? Until he got a big move back to Motherwell. Whatever ability he had he pretty much wasted it as a bench warmer which stopped him kicking on, if he had that in him of course. Dalglish and Souness were pretty good though as you say.
Looking at his record, he was a first pick at Man Utd for most of his time there and played over 470 times for them. I do remember him as a reliable old squad guy in his later years right enough. Still garbage with Scotland though.

Dybala and Lautaro Martinez are two others (although Martinez has just scored a good header for Argentina).

David Trezeguet. Great goal scoring record and played in an amazing France squad, but don't think I even saw him score.

You couldn't have been at Ibrox in 2007 then? Sensational that night. One of the great visiting performances.
He was the definition of world class that night.

Personally I would say Marek Hamsik. No doubt he has talent and I've seen a couple of right good goals, but I just haven't seen it with him where as others who watched Napoli and Serie A regularly raved about him.

Ryan Giggs.
Think in 20+ season he scored over 10 league goals twice and most was 13 goals in a season.
In his last ten years in the EPL he averaged less than 3 league goals per season.

His player of the year win as a sympathy vote was pathetic. A good player with great longevity but nowhere near the level of pl greats

Seedorf , seen him a few times on tv and thought he was painfully average every time despite playing in some great teams. His medal collection says otherwise.

Possibly because I don’t see Spanish football as much as I’d like now, but for the money spent on him, I don’t feel like I’ve seen Griezmann absolutely boss that many games.

But I also then realise he was being outscored only by Messi and Ronaldo for a period in his first stint at Atletico.

Weird one.

Possibly because I don’t see Spanish football as much as I’d like now, but for the money spent on him, I don’t feel like I’ve seen Griezmann absolutely boss that many games.

But I also then realise he was being outscored only by Messi and Ronaldo for a period in his first stint at Atletico.

Weird one.
Excellent in the 2018 Europa League final.

Mesut Ozil, any time I'd ever seen him play for Germany or Arsenal he was selfish, lazy & seemed disinterested.

Repeating an earlier shout for Benzema.

I don't see a lot of Spanish Football, and any of the big Champions League games, or France international matches I've seen where he's played he's hardly been involved.

But, no doubt, a great player.

John Carew of Norway , allegedly he was a great player with Valencia but then he was with Villa , anytime I watched he was less than average

Back