Great quotes from players

tazzabear

On another thread I posted a comment from one of my heroes, Davie Cooper, regarding his favourite second team.
Reminded me of what I think is the greatest quote I’d ever heard from a player and one that so many other players, including many of our own, would wish he’d said himself.
“I played for the club I loved” will take a lot of beating.
A great one liner by a great man.

s-l400.jpg

:)) :))

Sure I read a brilliant one on here before from Jimmy Millar (50s/60s)

"When a chap loses his heart to an ideal, there's no going back. It grows and grows within him, growing stronger as the years slip past.
That is why, when people ask: "Would you rather play centre than in the half-back line?" my answer comes off my lips as though from a tape recorder:
"I don't care where I play so long as I wear the Rangers colours."

My papa’s hero growing up.

“‘I’ve been very lucky to work at some big, big clubs, but this...is a proper, proper football club. The word institution, I don’t think it does it justice, it’s not just a football club, it’s not just an institution, it is a total way of life for our supporters” - the magnificent bastard.

"When a chap loses his heart to an ideal, there's no going back. It grows and grows within him, growing stronger as the years slip past.
That is why, when people ask: "Would you rather play centre than in the half-back line?" my answer comes off my lips as though from a tape recorder:

That’s the one, fantastic

A proper Rangers legend by all accounts

Papa?

*Updates excel sheet*

Anything by Zlatan
My favourite when asked to go for a trial at Arsenal aged 17
“ Zlatan doesn’t do auditions”
Also at age 15 or 16 I think being filmed wearing a Ronaldo 9 Inter shirt “ that will have my name on it soon “
On Carew “ what he does with a football I can do with an Orange “

"the wives of celtic fans used to send me letters thanking me for sending their husbands home early"

Jim Baxter
Classic quote,I'm sure he also said he looked up at the Rangers fans and they were dancing and singing then to the Celtic fans and there was no one there! :p

“Rangers like the big strong powerful fellows, with a bit of strength and solidity in the tackle, rather than the frivolous, quick moving stylists like Jimmy Johnstone, small, tiptoe-through the tulips type of players who excite people."

Willie Waddell

Everything about it is accurate and holds true to this day.
It’s why they bang on about sand-dancers like McGeady and Jota as if they’re world beaters.

Whereas we are always at our most unhappy when our central defence isn’t functioning properly.

And it’s why we are more successful than them.

Was lucky to start watching the famous in 1960 Ritchie Shearer...............Miller Brand and Wilson

Utterly magnificent Erskine! People - quite rightly - talk about Derek Johnstone and his ability to play centre half or centre forward. Then for us really auld timers there was the peerless John Charles, arguably the most versatile player of all time at the top level. But I’ll tell you what, Jimmy Millar was some man. Hard, fearless, brave and a fantastic striker who could play as a half-back (midfielder!). Great comment!

“Are you playing us on your own?”

Gazza to Paul Potential as he lined up in the Ibrox tunnel whilst the rest of the filth presumably cowered in the changing room.

Utterly magnificent Erskine! People - quite rightly - talk about Derek Johnstone and his ability to play centre half or centre forward. Then for us really auld timers there was the peerless John Charles, arguably the most versatile player of all time at the top level. But I’ll tell you what, Jimmy Millar was some man. Hard, fearless, brave and a fantastic striker who could play as a half-back (midfielder!). Great comment!
I actually wasn’t aware of his versatility. Always wondered who the Symon was able to fit him, Murray and Brand in the same team!.

Thanks for posting his quote. Many a family member of mines hero. My Dad loved him.

"It was for the fans. It is a big moment for the club. I am very, very happy for the team and the manager." Alfredo Morelos ;)

Marcos Senna (Villarreal)

"Usually players don't even hear supporters when we play but it was impossible to ignore the crowd in Glasgow.

"When they scored, the noise was amazing, incredible. It was a very beautiful spectacle.

"I could almost say I was not totally sad when they scored - that crowd deserved it.

Back