Great Rangers games not shown on television

Reading a few of the threads this week about years gone by threw up mentions of loads of great games or great moments over the last 50 years that were never shown on television.

In no particular order, here's some of the games that were talked about.

Rangers 3 Celtic 2, 1977 after being 2 down at half time.
Rangers 3 Hibs 2, 1979 Scottish Cup final replay.
Rangers 6 Aberdeen 1, 1968 Scottish Cup semi final.
Rangers 3 Celtic 1, 1979 Dryborough Cup final.

I could throw in a few more off the top of my head.

Rangers 3 Celtic 2, 1978 League Cup semi final.
Rangers 6 Aberdeen 1, 1977 League Cup tie where I still think we played as well as I have ever seen.
Celtic 1 Rangers 1, 1985 league game where we were a goal down and down to 9 men v 11.
Rangers 2 Ayr 0, 1973 Scottish Cup semi final and my first Rangers game at Hampden.
Rangers 3 Celtic 0, 1985 league game
Motherwell 0 Rangers 1, 1987 league game when Graham Robert's scored from 40 yards
Rangers 5 Scotland 0, 1978 John Greig testimonial.

Some of these games have some kind of YouTube footage, most have nothing. Really wish football had the TV coverage back then we see now. Not sure why some were never shown, there were a few during TV strikes or disputes.

If anyone finds highlights of any of these games, please do share them.
2-0 v Aberdeen, May 91.

Not sure if the thread has gone off track, but surely the OP is on games that there was no coverage of, not simply ''it wasn't live''. For this the most obvious one is the 1977 3.2 win over the mentally challengeds, there were no cameras at all owing to a dispute over trackside advertising. [I think]

Not sure if the thread has gone off track, but surely the OP is on games that there was no coverage of, not simply ''it wasn't live''. For this the most obvious one is the 1977 3.2 win over the mentally challengeds, there were no cameras at all owing to a dispute over trackside advertising. [I think]

That was the original intention, looks like I didn't explain what I meant very well.

Mccoist league match hatrick at sheepville 2 absolute stunners , think this was one of his golden boot seasons

1981 SC Final Replay.

Highlights were shown later, so there is footage but the game wasn't broadcast live.

I listened to it on the radio.

Most of our home matches in 1978/79 were ignored. I think STV boycotted us as well as the BBC, though they were back by March for the European Cup match with Cologne. 5-3 and 6-3 wins over Hearts and Dundee were missed as a result, both great matches.

Was going to post that Dundee game.
I was in the Broomloan end right behind the goal that day...…..4-0 up before going in 5-2 at HT.
Big Tam even got in on the act by scoring with a header.

There was another game I was at in January 82 and can't remember if it was ever shown on tv.

We beat the scum 1-0 courtesy of a Jim Bett penalty.

Reading a few of the threads this week about years gone by threw up mentions of loads of great games or great moments over the last 50 years that were never shown on television.

In no particular order, here's some of the games that were talked about.

Rangers 3 Celtic 2, 1977 after being 2 down at half time.
Rangers 3 Hibs 2, 1979 Scottish Cup final replay.
Rangers 6 Aberdeen 1, 1968 Scottish Cup semi final.
Rangers 3 Celtic 1, 1979 Dryborough Cup final.

I could throw in a few more off the top of my head.

Rangers 3 Celtic 2, 1978 League Cup semi final.
Rangers 6 Aberdeen 1, 1977 League Cup tie where I still think we played as well as I have ever seen.
Celtic 1 Rangers 1, 1985 league game where we were a goal down and down to 9 men v 11.
Rangers 2 Ayr 0, 1973 Scottish Cup semi final and my first Rangers game at Hampden.
Rangers 3 Celtic 0, 1985 league game
Motherwell 0 Rangers 1, 1987 league game when Graham Robert's scored from 40 yards
Rangers 5 Scotland 0, 1978 John Greig testimonial.

Some of these games have some kind of YouTube footage, most have nothing. Really wish football had the TV coverage back then we see now. Not sure why some were never shown, there were a few during TV strikes or disputes.

If anyone finds highlights of any of these games, please do share them.

1977 3-2 win over the scum was the first OF game I ever attended without my old man or my big brother. Travelled in on my own long bus trip, then a train to crossmyloof then a long walk to the stadium and the same home. Worth every moment. Rangers 3 Celtic 2 Hallelujah.

The 1977 6-1 thrashing of Dolly bugs me that wasn’t televised. I was at that one with my old man in the old Copland Rd terracing. Wish I could see that one again. Brilliant that day.

Lastly, the 3-0 v Paedo FC Nov 85 was one of the best days of my life and I couldn’t use my ST that day. :D

Skol Cup
Forfar 2-2 Rangers 27-Aug-1985 - Rangers won on penalties

Played at Dens Park,

Shocking performance of which my biggest memory was a bit of a punch up between Rangers fans during the game (I think it was between the casuals and ICF)

This was the 1st game live that I had seen that went to penalties, never seen any footage.

From what I remember during the 80's the Skol (league) Cup only had any sort of TV coverage from the semi-final and Final. No coverage was shown of the earlier rounds.

Was at the 3-2 game v ceptic in 1977 . 0-2 at half time what a game one of the best i've been at . No coverage due to an advertisement ban . i think the game should have been covered by the bbc. as i'm pretty sure the bbc and stv took a game each . Something to do with advertising anyway . I asked on the old FF if anyone had footage or knowledge of any , never seen or heard of any so take there's none .Shame .

That game was quite astonishing as we were the better side in the first half, but bizarrely went in 0-2 down at the break, thanks to (I think) two Edvaldsson headers.

Gordon Smith, who scored a double that day, covers that game well in his book, including Jock Wallace's half-time talk.

A fantastic day, when Bobby McKean absolutely roasted McGrain!

The one that does stick out for me is the 85 league game against them. 3-0... The worst one for me that was televised was at love street in the the early 80’s. When the camera scanned the crowd on the highlights that night and my ma caught me smoking on the tele. I was 12. My ma kept me in for a week and stopped my pocket money:mad:

That game was quite astonishing as we were the better side in the first half, but bizarrely went in 0-2 down at the break, thanks to (I think) two Edvaldsson headers.

Gordon Smith, who scored a double that day, covers that game well in his book, including Jock Wallace's half-time talk.

A fantastic day, when Bobby McKean absolutely roasted McGrain!
I was at this game but always thought it was at the piggery, I was still performing, then so cant be sure.

Back