Great to see the wee prime minister (Ian McMillan) inducted to SFA hall of fame

Ian McMillan played in a great Rangers team and although not as noticeable as players like Jim Baxter or Willie Henderson he was hugely influential. Remember one Saturday at Rugby Park, when Kilmarnock were a very strong side, that Ian McMillan scored in a 4-2 victory to secure Rangers place in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup. That was over 50 years ago and as a previous poster has observed, how Ian McMillan wasn’t inducted before is puzzling.

I can mind going to New Bloomfield with my old man and he was totally star struck with him. My ex wife’s Gran stays next door to him and she got him to write a note to my dad with his autograph on it. A great touch from a true gent.

Noticed Ian McMillan was inducted last night. One of my dads hero’s growing up, Ex Airdrie and Rangers star. Probably one of our old players who rarely gets the recognition he fully deserves.
Long overdue - from what I see, you'd think it was only Aitken that was inducted, yet I recall his 'football family' regularly changing 'Aitken, Aitken get to f..."

I can just about recall McMillan scoring our 1000th (0r was it 2000th) leauge goal at Ibrox. He hit a shot from the edge ot the box which appeared to be heading to hit Ralph Brand, but he swerved out of the way to allow McMillan to take the honour. McMillan was well liked and Brand was given great credit for not grabbing the goal himself.

Well done to him and I’m sure he will rightly be delighted.

I can’t take the Hall of Fame seriously though after the Gascoigne shambles.

Yes. Unfortunately my Hate-o-Meter is off the scale with the SFA right now.

On calming down, I'll realise this is really well deserved honour for a wonderful player.

Long overdue - from what I see, you'd think it was only Aitken that was inducted, yet I recall his 'football family' regularly changing 'Aitken, Aitken get to f..."

I can just about recall McMillan scoring our 1000th (0r was it 2000th) leauge goal at Ibrox. He hit a shot from the edge ot the box which appeared to be heading to hit Ralph Brand, but he swerved out of the way to allow McMillan to take the honour. McMillan was well liked and Brand was given great credit for not grabbing the goal himself.
Was it not the 5000th goal, possibly against Raith Rovers?

Ian McMillan's not listed in The Complete Record book as scoring any landmark league goal. It says Alex Scott scored our 5,000th in 1961. Maybe it was some other record.

Was it the SFA hof or the Scottish football hof?
Gazzas was the latter
Didn't know there were 2 - it was the same one that Gazza was originally nominated for. Originally 5, now just 4.

Ian McMillan's not listed in The Complete Record book as scoring any landmark league goal. It says Alex Scott scored our 5,000th in 1961. Maybe it was some other record.
Well, it was quite an event at the time and it was definitely McMillan. It was in the papers at the time inclding how Brand had allowed McMillan's shot to go through rather than helping it it on its way as he would normally have done. But I can't remember exactly which landmark goal it was. Maybe someone else who was a supporter at the time can shed light on this.

Great to see Ian McMillan getting recognised . He was a friend of my father and I was fortunate to meet him. He also got a Rangers book signed for me by the team afera a home game against Raith Rovers .A true gentleman.

I adored him as a kid - & looking back now - he helped me 'understand' the game probably more than any other player

His positional sense was 2nd to none IMHO - his running off the ball was superb - enabling him to link up with defence & attack alike

I stated on a post just yesterday - he was always in the right place at the right time
But it was what he did when he got the ball as well that was special - I honestly don't remember him making a bad pass & I'll bet his team mates appreciated the service he provided

Maybe he wasn't as skillfull as Baxter for example - but he contributed just as much

He should have been in the hall of fame long before now

Didn't know there were 2 - it was the same one that Gazza was originally nominated for. Originally 5, now just 4.

Until last week, I don't think many did.
Gazza and Julie fleeting were the two nominations announced with three to be announced on the night.
Archie Knox and Ian were two, can't recall the third.
So either the three knew to turn up as guests and it was a surprise, or they also knew they were nominated.

Was it the SFA hof or the Scottish football hof?
Gazzas was the latter
Scottish Football HoF is the only one. The other one is Role of Honour which recognises those having 50 caps or more.
Ian McMillan and Archie Knox were on the the original list with Gazza, Fleeting and Aitken, Ian was not a last minute choice.

Scottish Football HoF is the only one. The other one is Role of Honour which recognises those having 50 caps or more.
Ian McMillan and Archie Knox were on the the original list with Gazza, Fleeting and Aitken, Ian was not a last minute choice.

Cheers.
I couldn't think of how to phrase it.
I thought Ian, Archie and aitken would know, but wondered why their names weren't announced along with Paul and Julie

Back