Great Wins For Us and Defeats for Them on the Same Day/Night

MO_TxTruBlu

Great wins for us, with the added bonus of a suffering defeat for them on the same day/night.

The obvious one for me , April 19th 1972

Celtic had clinched their 7th successive League Title four days earlier.
European Semi Final night, and both Glasgow teams are in the two big cups, at home, second leg.
Both teams had recorded impressive results away in the first leg, Celtic held Inter Milan to a scoreless draw, and Rangers had come back from Germany with a 1-1 draw against Bayern Munich.

It had been a shite season for us.
They hammered us 3 times in 4 weeks at the start of the season, all at Ibrox.
In early October, we sat joint bottom of the 18 team League with East Fife on 2 points!
Our domestic highlight of the season was Partick Thistle beating them 4-1 in the League Cup Final.
Over the course of the season, we had improved somewhat.
In Europe we had eliminated Sporting Lisbon, and Torino, to get to the ECWC Semi Final.
Domestically we were in the Semi Final of the Scottish Cup, albeit via three replays.
We sat in 3rd place in the League, a whopping 15 points adrift of Celtic, which is as far away from them as we had ever been.

Anyway, back to April 19th.
Rangers defeat Bayern Munich 2-0, in one of the greatest nights ever at Ibrox .

It does not get sweeter than that, into the European Cup Winners Cup Final, Barcelona here we come.
Walking back from Ibrox that night was just glorious, and as I reached the hielanman's umbrella in Argyle St, a small crowd had gathered around the outside of a Der TV rental shop, watching the end of the Celtic game, which remained 0-0 after Extra Time, and was now going to penalty kicks.
Apollo Dixie made a sweet night even sweeter.

Great wins for us, with the added bonus of a suffering defeat for them on the same day/night.

European Semi Final night, and both Glasgow teams are in the two big cups, at home, second leg.
Both teams had recorded impressive results away in the first leg, Celtic held Inter Milan to a scoreless draw, and Rangers had come back from Germany with a 1-1 draw against Bayern Munich.

In early October, we sat joint bottom of the 18 team League with East Fife on 2 points!
Our domestic highlight of the season was Partick Thistle beating them 4-1 in the League Cup Final.
In Europe we had eliminated Sporting Lisbon, and Torino, to get to the ECWC Semi Final.
Domestically we were in the Semi Final of the Scottish Cup, albeit via three replays.
We sat in 3rd place in the League, a whopping 15 points adrift of Celtic, which is as far away from them as we had ever been.

It does not get sweeter than that, into the European Cup Winners Cup Final, Barcelona here we come.
Walking back from Ibrox that night was just glorious, and as I reached the hielanman's umbrella in Argyle St, a small crowd had gathered around the outside of a Der TV rental shop, watching the end of the Celtic game, which remained 0-0 after Extra Time, and was now going to penalty kicks.

You describe perfectly our domestic highlight.
It was a terrible start to the season domestically, but that night in April was class. It had the added pressure of them only needing to win at home to reach their 3rd EC final in 6 years. How Scottish club football has dropped in standard.

Remember a night at Dunfermline where Boumsong scored a winner and they dropped points and the place was bouncing. Pretty sure we went top and it was the first time since Advocaat..might be wrong though

Much lower profile but that day you refer to when Thistle beat them 4,1, didn’t we beat Motherwell 5/6-0 after a goalless first half ?

When the half time result came through from Hampden the stadium erupted.

Remember a night at Dunfermline where Boumsong scored a winner and they dropped points and the place was bouncing. Pretty sure we went top and it was the first time since Advocaat..might be wrong though
Yeah they lost a last minute goal to lose 3-2 at home to the sheep. The stadium announcer at east end park kindly updated us all with the score. Some bounce when he did

PSG UEFA cup 2001 was great. They lost on penalties to Valencia
We got an extra night in Paris courtesy of Dixon Travel (due to a French ATC strike) the Bears had a major sash bash in some dump of a hotel near the airport..good times :)

Saturday 7/12/96

We were at home to Hibs, 1-2 down at HT, 4-3 at full time.

Tims were at Motherwell. All square at 1-1 about 20 mins left, Well gk injured so midfielder goes into the nets.

Last min goal, Well 2-1 Celtic. Get in!

Valencia/PSG night was a rollercoaster. Jumping up and down when they go out. Devastated as de boer misses his pen seconds later, followed by elation again after our pens.

Just watched the psg highlights. Madness. De Boer, Cannigia, Konterman, Okocha, Gabby Heinze, Pochettino all missing pens.

Last edited:

End of thread, incredible night.

We beat Motherwell 4-3 at Hampden in Scottish Cup semi.

They lose to a last minute goal at Tynecastle in the league.

And what a goal at was.

Was at my in laws house. Think the entire estate must've heard the roar from their's when Austin McCann thundered the ball into the top corner.

Did we get a decent win the night St Mirren fucked Mowbray's team?
No we got knocked out the scottish cup at tannadice but i must admit that st mirren result sure did help me cope with the defeat that night as i was of the opinion we had clinched the league that night.

Not a win but I'm sure we drew away to psv in the Europa the same night they got cuffed 4-0 by St mirren. Watched it in Nico's and couldn't control myaelf.

The night Rangers beat a great Juventus team at Ibrox in 1978 to knock them out the European Cup, Celtic were losing in the Anglo Scottish Cup to Burnley.
That was the one that came to my head straight away, they took it bad and threw a bottle at our bus coming through Stepps before the M8 was built.

This was the one that came to mind first. I watched it with an Aberdeen fan (although that is stretching the definition of fan somewhat) and a Dundee United fan who were both genuinely pleased for us. Changed days.

Midweek round of fixtures in 2010 I think it, when Mowbray was manager of them. We won away to St Mirren and they lost at home to Hibs to open up a 10 point gap.

Much lower profile but that day you refer to when Thistle beat them 4,1, didn’t we beat Motherwell 5/6-0 after a goalless first half ?

Remember that well Grigo, we had huge boards behind the goals that displayed the half time scores at all the other top division games but the cup final half time score was announced over the tannoy. Hot dogs, macaroon bars, spearmint chewing gum, half bottles and weans were tossed into the air, magic scenes that I'll never forget. Wee Bobby Lawrie from Ayrshire got one of the Thistle goals, he went on to manage Largs Thistle for a while and I bought him many a pint after our game.

Remember that well Grigo, we had huge boards behind the goals that displayed the half time scores at all the other top division games but the cup final half time score was announced over the tannoy. Hot dogs, macaroon bars, spearmint chewing gum, half bottles and weans were tossed into the air, magic scenes that I'll never forget. Wee Bobby Lawrie from Ayrshire got one of the Thistle goals, he went on to manage Largs Thistle for a while and I bought him many a pint after our game.

Brilliant. I remember that Frank. Horrible rainy day from memory but that result made it feel like July in Majorca to a wee boy from the east end :D

Last edited:
Hibs 3-2 mentally challengeds
Rangers 3-0 Aberdeen

September 2007

McCulloch giving us the lead with a volley from 30 yards

Yes, you are correct, we were drawing 0-0 at home to Motherwell at the break, and the half time result came through from Hampden, Partick Thistle 4-0 Celtic.
It was probably the biggest exodus from Ibrox ever at Half time,
as thousands left and headed over to Hampden.
I'm sure by full time there was more Rangers scarves at Hampden than Partick Thistle ones.

Back at Ibrox, the few thousand who remained for the second half were treated to 4 goals in a 4-0 rout.

I was in Paris that night it was bedlam!! Think it was Larsson that fluffed the decisive penalty at the piggery
Ps me and a mate waited in a massive line of fans early in the morning for tickets to Paris from a travel agent in shawlands and they closed the door behind us when we finally got in the shop(locking hundreds outside)as we had secured the last two tickets!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back