Greatest ever save

Firstly I've got nothing but admiration, respect & appreciation for Gordon Banks - who was a truly wonderful keeper

But I have to say - I've never understood the enormous hype surrounding his save from Pele's header

I'd never suggest it was'n't a good save - but if you consider his positioning (something that isn't captured in most clips shown) before he moves - I simply can't see what all the fuss is about

He is not in the miiddle of the goal as is often suggested - but a good couple of feet off centre in the right direction

Neither does he dive an entire length from a standing position to the deck -as is also suggested - but instead gets to the ball just below waist height

So the idea that he travels - side-ways & down at almost excessive speeds applying amazing agility & dexterity - is is not as valid for me as it might seem

Like I said there's nothing wrong with the save - but I believe there are a lot better out there - & can only think this was over estimated at the time and the exaggeration has been maintained ever since

Agree mate, was a GOOD save. It's because it's Pele with the header that gives it the glamour. If it was wee Abdul from the arse end of nowhere headering that the save would be long forgotten about.

One of Klos’ best saves was off a shot from Alain Boghossian that he had volleyed into the ground from a terrible Amoruso headed clearance against Parma in the 2-0 game.

OK. Someone above put it in context of it being 1970. Was Peter McCloy going to get near that? Or most goalies from that era. Was an amazing save for the time

Of course It was a good save - like I said - but I'm not sure the year has much to do with it

Yashin was pulling off similar if not better at the time - even although he was near the end of a 20 year plus career

And I'm quite sure my father's generation could tell us of many others worthy of mention around the same time or immediately before this

Last edited:
One of Klos’ best saves was off a shot from Alain Boghossian that he had volleyed into the ground from a terrible Amoruso headed clearance against Parma in the 2-0 game.
Just came on to mention this one as well. World class save

I'm not saying Banks' save wasn't great, it clearly was.

But it's not that amazing. It's really not.

I’ve always felt much of the hype around Banks’ save stems from firstly the English arrogance (especially at that time) that their goalkeepers were inherently better than everyone else’s, secondly the fact Banks was a World Cup winner already and certainly seen by many as the best in the world, and thirdly that the save was from Pele, universally accepted as the best player on the planet.

It’s a great save, no doubt about it, but has there really been no better in the (almost) half a century since?

I’m not sure about that.

With the death of Gordon banks it's obviously been on TV his save from pele and I've seen it on more than one occassion described as the greatest save ever. I personally think gorams against van hooijdonk and mcgregor v Bremen were better I remember klos pulling off a save where the ball was pretty much past him. What do people think was banks the best save ever?

Banks isn't the save most people think it is either. He doesn't scoop it over the bar with his right hand, he dives under the ball and saves it with his left elbow after it bounces.

It's probably not even the best save Banks made. 38 seconds in this clip is better for me.

That is what he meant to do! :)

Firstly I've got nothing but admiration, respect & appreciation for Gordon Banks - who was a truly wonderful keeper

But I have to say - I've never understood the enormous hype surrounding his save from Pele's header

I'd never suggest it was'n't a good save - but if you consider his positioning (something that isn't captured in most clips shown) before he moves - I simply can't see what all the fuss is about

He is not in the miiddle of the goal as is often suggested - but a good couple of feet off centre in the right direction

Neither does he dive an entire length from a standing position to the deck -as is also suggested - but instead gets to the ball just below waist height

So the idea that he travels - side-ways & down at almost excessive speeds applying amazing agility & dexterity - is is not as valid for me as it might seem

Like I said there's nothing wrong with the save - but I believe there are a lot better out there - & can only think this was over estimated at the time and the exaggeration has been maintained ever since
I said as much the other day. If Shagger did one like that you'd say great save, and move on.

The Gordon Banks save is brilliant, but I don't think it's the greatest save ever. It would be if he didn't slow down in the centre of the goals, if he had to sprint across the goal and get down it would be.

For me Goram's and McGregor's are better.

Carlos Alberto passes down the wing to Jairziniho who crosses to Pele......to those of us who can remember watching the game, the mere fact that these three players are involved prior to the Banks save, makes it the best save for me.

Goram’s is a very good save but he doesn’t even have to move his feet. It’s a powerful but poor finish and like Klos, Goram always got a strong hand on efforts from close-range. It was his biggest strength. I genuinely think a lot of Goram’s work is overpraised though. I still hear this line that he broke Tommy Burns’s heart. Fact is we beat them 8 times out of ten because we we were a lot better from 2 to 11, not because of Andy.

I digress. I think Banks is clearly the best save of the three, then Greegs v Bremen and then Goram’s.

As Saves go, Banks v Pele was excellent, but the significance of it meant nothing, as I think England lost 0-1 on the day.

There has been many excellent saves over the years that have actually meant something with regards to the result of the game.

Macgregor vz werder.

A perfect combination of highest stage, vitalness to the game, the fact we progressed because of it..

And watching it live it felt like a miricle. Nothing a keeper has done before or since somes close for me.

With the death of Gordon banks it's obviously been on TV his save from pele and I've seen it on more than one occassion described as the greatest save ever. I personally think gorams against van hooijdonk and mcgregor v Bremen were better I remember klos pulling off a save where the ball was pretty much past him. What do people think was banks the best save ever?

Banks save …without doubt.

I remember watching it live and the speed it all happened was quite incredible!
Firstly Jairzinho’s run and how fast he hit the cross and then Pele’s incredible leap and superbly placed powerful header which Banks humbly admits he just threw his hand out in the hope he would get it but thought it had already spun off his hand was already in the net!

Incredible to watch live!
If you listen to David Coleman’s commentary it was woeful and described very little because he couldn't keep up …and it all happened in the blink of an eye!

Also the importance of the match quarter finals of the World Cup …pretty damn important!

That Brazilian team the best I have ever seen!

Funnily enough Pele got a similar chance in the final against Italy which he buried with incredible pace and power! Zoff? Had no chance!

McGregor v Werder Bremen was the best I have seen. Mainly because he was at the other side of the goal when the cross came in. It is that racing across the goal to get his hand to it which is the factor that makes it better than all those other magnificent saves that have been mentioned.

Back