Greatest ever save

Thommo2006

With the death of Gordon banks it's obviously been on TV his save from pele and I've seen it on more than one occassion described as the greatest save ever. I personally think gorams against van hooijdonk and mcgregor v Bremen were better I remember klos pulling off a save where the ball was pretty much past him. What do people think was banks the best save ever?

Gorams and mcGregors are both excellent saves but both are juat making themselves big.

For me Seaman and Banks' are both better as they arent just a case of making themselves big

Seaman, Coupet, Goram and McGregor all rightly get mentioned on here. Schmeichel had belters from headers against Arsenal and Rapid Vienna.

McGregors is a save that gets better every time you see it.

Mcgregor samaras will always win for me. Higuita's scorpion kick, just because I'd never seen anything like it before. Mcgregor Bremen is right up there. First I've seen seaman's save, sensational. Banks save was good but, for me, more to do with who he saved it from than how good it was in terms of best ever. De ghea pulled off a world class save earlier this season too.

I remember seeing that Seaman save the first time and being blown away! It’s remained the same every time I’ve seen it.

Someone had posted on here Banks's save from a wider angle than you usually see it and it was nowhere near Goram's, or others. To paraphrase the Dortmund coach, the English have a habit of hyping their footballers. Banks was nowhere near Shilton to name one.

Mcgregor samaras will always win for me. Higuita's scorpion kick, just because I'd never seen anything like it before. Mcgregor Bremen is right up there. First I've seen seaman's save, sensational. Banks save was good but, for me, more to do with who he saved it from than how good it was in terms of best ever. De ghea pulled off a world class save earlier this season too.
Banks isn't the save most people think it is either. He doesn't scoop it over the bar with his right hand, he dives under the ball and saves it with his left elbow after it bounces.

It's probably not even the best save Banks made. 38 seconds in this clip is better for me.

I was a relatively young lad when Banks made that save from the worlds greatest player.
In my time I've seen saves which match it albeit against lesser strikers.
I've heard that Lev Yashin (waashin') made some great saves in his day.

The Banks save was incredible due to the way he had to get down. In this day of constant football on tv, there are many ‘great’ saves that are close to the keeper, high or at least at a good height. Very few great saves involve the keeper getting down low the way that save required.

An impossible question to answer.

The wayward genius made GB look foolish that "day" and the English complained like the fkpigs that they were.

And Lev Yashin is still the standard.

Defo goram v Tims for me but then again it wasn’t against one of the all time greats and in a World Cup.

I was at the game where Goram made that save and he absolutely no right to make it.

Not just the save, he palmed to ball away from danger which was another thing Goram was excellent at.

Montgomery’s in the 73 cup final is the best for me is the best.

Cech made an incredible save in Euro 2004 against Holland with a volley right into the top corner that I’d also have up there .

Klos v Viduka the best Rangers save

I'm not saying Banks' save wasn't great, it clearly was.

But it's not that amazing. It's really not.

Greegs v Bremen is a better save. Goram v Van Homo was better.

"That save!" Like Hurley's "That dress!" Really, really good but so over-hyped.

Fully paid member of the keeper's union byraway.

With the death of Gordon banks it's obviously been on TV his save from pele and I've seen it on more than one occassion described as the greatest save ever. I personally think gorams against van hooijdonk and mcgregor v Bremen were better I remember klos pulling off a save where the ball was pretty much past him. What do people think was banks the best save ever?

Banks save is iconic, world reknowned, but Goram was the best goalie I have ever seen, and the van honked donkey save was top top drawer.
I felt he couldn’t be beat at one point, no matter the opposition. He had a golden period that left me in awe.

Surely it's too early for this debate?
Let Gordon Banks at least start to RIP before we discuss what might have been better than his save from Pele.
Which is a big call.
Which is, of course, the start of a debate.
But hope you get my drift.

That Seaman save is still unbelievable, as was the Montgomery v Leeds in the FA Cup Final, but about 20 seconds into this is a Ray Clemence save from Dave Watson I think which happened in Scotland v England game and I have always thought that took some beating because of the angle, the speed, the surprise and the adjustment he had to make.

It also broke my heart at the time!

Surely it's too early for this debate?
Let Gordon Banks at least start to RIP before we discuss what might have been better than his save from Pele.
Which is a big call.
Which is, of course, the start of a debate.
But hope you get my drift.

Not trying to be disrespectful just interested in peoples thoughts

Mcgregor against Werder Bremen was up there with one of the best saves I’ve ever seen. The importance and what it gave us was unbelievable.

In games for/against us, Mcgregor v Werder, Goram v Celtic, Forster v Us CIS Cup final. In world wide football it’s got to be Seaman V Sheffield united or Schmeichel v Germany.

When Shagger made that save in Bremen and after the way the game went ie like The Alamo, I said to my mate on the Day Trip flight home we were going to get to Manchester.

In fact the next day I booked 5 nights Mon to Fri in the Premier Inn at Deansgate Lock i was that convinced.

Ended up the craziest and best move I made. :D

Klos's save from McSwegan's header is the best save ever by a Rangers goalkeeper, that simply shouldn't be up for debate.

Goram's save from Vanhugedonkey wasn't even his best save.

Best save ever, guess we look for different things, for what it's worth, the Banks save from Pele must be a generation thing because I never thought it was that impressive.

You see saves like Banks fairly regular these days because keepers at the top level are incredibly fit and agile.

Dudek v Shevchenko was fairly incredible.

For Rangers I would have to go with McGregor against Bremen.

Unfortunately one save I always remember was a Scum keeper saving a Jelavic freekick that had been deflected off the wall in the League Cup Final.

Six minutes in

Klos' at Tynecastle is the best I've seen in the flesh. Jimmy Montgomery's second part of the double save is probably the best ive seen (long before my time) but that changes some times when I remember other saves

Someone had posted on here Banks's save from a wider angle than you usually see it and it was nowhere near Goram's, or others. To paraphrase the Dortmund coach, the English have a habit of hyping their footballers. Banks was nowhere near Shilton to name one.

Not to be pedantic but was it not their player Delaney that said that?

Firstly I've got nothing but admiration, respect & appreciation for Gordon Banks - who was a truly wonderful keeper

But I have to say - I've never understood the enormous hype surrounding his save from Pele's header

I'd never suggest it was'n't a good save - but if you consider his positioning (something that isn't captured in most clips shown) before he moves - I simply can't see what all the fuss is about

He is not in the miiddle of the goal as is often suggested - but a good couple of feet off centre in the right direction

Neither does he dive an entire length from a standing position to the deck -as is also suggested - but instead gets to the ball just below waist height

So the idea that he travels - side-ways & down at almost excessive speeds applying amazing agility & dexterity - is is not as valid for me as it might seem

Like I said there's nothing wrong with the save - but I believe there are a lot better out there - & can only think this was over estimated at the time and the exaggeration has been maintained ever since

Last edited:
don't think the Klos one from MacSwegan is online but it's a fantastic save

strangely enough with the McGregor one when it was live, my first reaction was "did he get a hand to that?" and then the replay showed he did, a miraculous save it was

Firstly I've got nothing but admiration, respect & appreciation for Gordon Banks - who was a truly wonderful keeper

But I have to say - I've never understood the enormous hype surrounding his save from Pele's header

I'd never suggest it was'n't a good save - but if you consider his positioning (something that isn't captured in most clips shown) before he moves - I simply can't see what all the fuss is about

He is not in the miiddle of the goal as is often suggested - but a good couple of feet off centre in the right direction

Neither does he dive an entire length from a standing position to the deck -as is also suggested - but instead gets to the ball just below waist height

So the idea that he travels - side-ways & down at almost excessive speeds applying amazing agility & dexterity - is is not as valid for me as it might seem

Like I said there's nothing wrong with the save - but I believe there are a lot better out there - & can only think this was over estimated at the time and the exaggeration has been maintained ever since
OK. Someone above put it in context of it being 1970. Was Peter McCloy going to get near that? Or most goalies from that era. Was an amazing save for the time

Back