Greavsie - BT documentary on Jimmy Greaves

Molly Sugden's Bridesmaid

Got around to watching this after being on my Sky recordings for a while. Well worth a watch.

His numbers are absolutely ridiculous, particularly given how hard/dirty defenders were in his era. 366 goals in 528 first division matches, 44 goals for England in 57 appearances.

I'm too young to remember him playing and knew him better as a TV personality. What a footballer though!

Rangers feature briefly in the documentary, on the end of an 8-4 aggregate defeat in the 1962/63 UEFA cup, Greaves scoring at both White Hart Lane and Ibrox. Were any FFers there?

Last edited:
Got around to watching this after being on my Sky recordings for a while. Well worth a watch.

His numbers are absolutely ridiculous, particularly given how hard/dirty defenders were in his era. 366 goals in 528 first division matches, 44 goals for England in 57 appearances.

I'm too young to remember him playing and knew him better as a TV personality. What a footballer though!

Rangers feature briefly in the documentary, on the end of an 8-4 aggregate defeat in the 1962/63 UEFA cup, Greaves scoring at both White Hart Lane and Ibrox. Were any FFers there?
My first ever game and I can still remember the lightning fast acceleration of Greaves.
Beaten 3-2 and that was when we were the best in the country and had a fantastic team.

You wonder what effect missing the world cup final may have had on him.Not saying that's why he turned to drink but it must have an impact on your mind

Yes, I was at that game. My second European tie after see us beating Saville 4-0 in1962. It was a great European night even though we lost 3-2. Can still remember Greaves scoring a great goal at the broomloan end. Thought it was a bit cheeky applauding us off the park thought. He was a great striker right enough.

My first ever game and I can still remember the lightning fast acceleration of Greaves.
Beaten 3-2 and that was when we were the best in the country and had a fantastic team.

Nearly 79,000 at Ibrox. 12th October 1962.

fvCv4pW.jpg

Mind John Greig in his autobiography saying he hated playing against Greaves, his game was all about movement, finding space and avoiding defenders. Greaves objective was to pass it into the net if possible.

My granda said they were one of the best, if not the best, teams he saw at Ibrox.

Greaves was one of the fasted I seen with the ball at his feet. The other was Gazza. Lightning pace going past players with the ball.

I really enjoyed this. I only remember him from his presenting days. Didn't realise how good he was.

I was at that game. Mainly remember it for Greaves being a wonderful player but Spurs were quite a team then. We were none too shabby at the time and they gubbed us over the two legs.

Main striker in my UK team of my lifetime, fantastic striker who would be worth an absolute fortune in today’s market.

Back