Greg Docherty - Edinburgh news snippet

Hibernian's next 6 Fixtures:

Inverness (H)
Hearts (H)
Aberdeen (A)

St. Johnstone (H)
Hamilton (A)
Celtic (H)

Let's see how he does in these games, and let's see if he causes Celtic to drop points.

what a stupid comment, we should base docherty against celtic dropping points? why not judge him on his performance against celtics midfield?

Would he have enhanced our team Sunday? Let me put this way he certainly wouldn't have deminished it, sometimes it's horses for courses especially against the St Johnstone's, Braga not so much.

you dont think kamara and docherty can hack it in the spfl? As that is where we are failing, the bread and butter of our teams fixtures.

I think Docherty could although I am not convinced , Kamara no, gives the ball away too much and costs us goals, has had the chance for me and continually does the same a year down the line.

Reactions: Gee
what a stupid comment, we should base docherty against celtic dropping points? why not judge him on his performance against celtics midfield?
A stupid comment? I'm suggesting we see if he makes an impact in the game and hopefully causes Celtic to drop points. What's your issue?

Would he have enhanced our team Sunday? Let me put this way he certainly wouldn't have deminished it, sometimes it's horses for course especially against the St Johnstone's, Braga not so much.

that what squads are for. And I agree we need different players on different occasions.

A stupid comment? I'm suggesting we see if he makes an impact in the game and hopefully causes Celtic to drop points. What's your issue?

you said lets base him on celtic dropping points, read your own post.

Seems to me the manager doesn’t think he suits the way the team is meant to play. I say meant to play as against how they actually are playing.

you said lets base him on celtic dropping points, read your own post.
I just said let's see if he causes them to drop points. Which would imply he's had a good game, maybe got an assist, scored a goal... I never suggested it would be the be end of his Rangers career if Hibs don't beat Celtic.

Just giving some more information to everyone on the thread. Maybe Greg will stand out in those games.

Enjoy your day pal. Go hunt for some more 'stupid' posts.

Seems to me the manager doesn’t think he suits the way the team is meant to play. I say meant to play as against how they actually are playing.

Candieas never fitted the model either. We have a strict 4-3-3. But the wide men need to cut inside and allow the fullback to become the winger. Unfortunately it usually is not as direct in regards speed of getting final ball into the box IMHO. By that time we are facing packed defences. The reason to do the cutting inside is to create more options/assists. I would ask how thats working to date regarding having two players doing this in most games.

I just said let's see if he causes them to drop points. Which would imply he's had a good game, maybe got an assist, scored a goal... I never suggested it would be the be end of his Rangers career if Hibs don't beat Celtic.

Just giving some more information to everyone on the thread. Maybe Greg will stand out in those games.

Enjoy your day pal. Go hunt for some more 'stupid' posts.

m8 read your post again, it did not imply what you are saying now. We are not mind readers but anyway enjoy your day too.

Its an example of how SG cant see past his pet players.Im not saying Docherty would be the star man but he's a better player than some still at Ibrox. Its this stubbornness that will eventually lead to SG's downfall.

POTY for Shrewsbury and the main Hibs forum seem very keen to have him in exchange for Kamberi so it's looking unlikely he'll feature for us again (unless he doesn't fancy a move, of course, as he's contracted to 2022).

Its an example of how SG cant see past his pet players.Im not saying Docherty would be the star man but he's a better player than some still at Ibrox. Its this stubbornness that will eventually lead to SG's downfall.

Starting Kent and benching Kamberi against St Johnstone IMO is a stubborn attitude. Every other person I spoke to after Thursday had Kent benched and Kamberi starting. Why not just change the system? It is not working.

Reactions: Gee
Every time Docherty played this season, regardless of how long he was given. He was poor, below average each time. There’s a different type of pressure to be playing for rangers than there is for Hibs. He’s probably playing better because he feels less pressure. That’s not the ‘mentality’ everyone keeps referring to, that makes it to be a rangers player.
Sorry, which games are you referring to?

3 assists in 67 mins at home to St Joseph's.

14, 8 and 22 mins in a Progres game and vs Midtjylland twice - hardly enough time to impact the game

60 mins against East Fife where he wasn't great, this must be what you are referring to.

That's it. He's been frozen out the team, playing brilliantly in his loans either side of winter.

POTY for Shrewsbury and the main Hibs forum seem very keen to have him in exchange for Kamberi so it's looking unlikely he'll feature for us again (unless he doesn't fancy a move, of course, as he's contracted to 2022).

Keeps performing for them and doing so against all SPFL opposition then we would be crazy to lets this young man leave IMO. Maybe he will want to mind as players need to feel wanted.

Starting Kent and benching Kamberi against St Johnstone IMO is a stubborn attitude. Every other person I spoke to after Thursday had Kent benched and Kamberi starting. Why not just change the system? It is not working.
Completely agree, Kamberi should've started yesterday with it being likely he'd be involved in the away Braga game. Kent does look out of sorts.

Who is he better than that's at the club right now? He's nowhere near as good as Jack Davis Arfield or Aribo.

It took two goals to change it against Braga, there was no other option. After this I praised SG for being the bigger man and noting the flawed system on this occasion. In other occasions it has worked. But when its not, change it. And when its working dont revert back.

Who is he better than that's at the club right now? He's nowhere near as good as Jack Davis Arfield or Aribo.

In paper your right but Davis has hardly been on great form. Jack was injured recenty, we had to play Aribo as a left back in last game and Arfield is a different type of midfielder. So you are saying Docherty would not have been a good member of our squad to fill in and if doing as good as current form may not have staked a place. i.e competition?

playing well in a 1 all draw at livingston is fine for Hibs, not for us. Different pressures affect performance levels.

FWIW, i actually think from what weve seen of Kamara these last few weeks, Gerrard was a little hasty in punting Doc out

Trying to make Rangers a Liverpool blueprint? But in a league where blood and thunder is the norm and pitches are sub standard?
I think it's definitely, and probably naturally given Beale and Gerrard's previous, reflective of Liverpool but I'm not yet saying it's 100%. I definitely agree that they look to be under-weighting the SPFL finagling factors to our cost.

Gregg is suffering from the less you play the more you become a better player.

He wasnt that good for us and SG would realise this.

It's all very well playing at Hibs every week and putting in a decent performance to being here and not.

Hes not what we require in the longer term, I do wish him all the best.

In paper your right but Davis has hardly been on great form. Jack was injured recenty, we had to play Aribo as a left back in last game and Arfield is a different type of midfielder. So you are saying Docherty would not have been a good member of our squad to fill in and if doing as good as current form may not have staked a place. i.e competition?

Well no he's been given opportunities in closed door matches, friendlies, european games and hauled off after 60 minutes against East Fife. If he had been doing something right he would be involved and let's not forget even Polster has played ahead of him in midfield for some games tells it's own story given he was out the door until Tav got injured.

The Hibs loan move is purely to get him in the shop window and out the door in the summer. Hard working and attitude only gets you so far in the game and we need better than Docherty to be successful.

We have 5 options for midfield Arfield Davis Aribo Kamara and Jack and they're all better players than Docherty. Then throw in Hagi who will play as a 10 or can be used as the box to box player for midfield he's at least 7th choice.

Gregg is suffering from the less you play the more you become a better player.

He wasnt that good for us and SG would realise this.

It's all very well playing at Hibs every week and putting in a decent performance to being here and not.

Hes not what we require in the longer term, I do wish him all the best.

So in the SPFL you have judged Greg? Are you basing this on a 20/21 year old at the time he played a handful of premiership games?

Making a point about him being better and SG's refusal to change formations. Halliday in particular shouldn't be in the squad

He does change the formation he's used 3 different formations since the winter break. He shouldn't be in the squad but we have no cover for left back so that's why he is still here he will be gone in the summer.

Well no he's been given opportunities in closed door matches, friendlies, european games and hauled off after 60 minutes against East Fife. If he had been doing something right he would be involved and let's not forget even Polster has played ahead of him in midfield for some games tells it's own story given he was out the door until Tav got injured.

The Hibs loan move is purely to get him in the shop window and out the door in the summer. Hard working and attitude only gets you so far in the game and we need better than Docherty to be successful.

We have 5 options for midfield Arfield Davis Aribo Kamara and Jack and they're all better players than Docherty. Then throw in Hagi who will play as a 10 or can be used as the box to box player for midfield he's at least 7th choice.

dont agree, he is solely not being thought of due to the fact we dont play 4-4-2 just as jones is not a #10 and is not thought off also.

He is not competing against Arfield, Hagi's, Aribo etc.

He is competing against Kamara, Davis and Jack. So he would be 1 off 4.

Also you suggesting Kamara is better is subjective although SG would seem to agree.

Who would he replace in our midfield?

Hes not better than anyone of the 5 ahead of him.

OMG look at our last game for example, its a squad game.

Davis is of form and Jack not far ahead due to injury.

ITS a squad game.

Also why are so many suggesting he is not good enough for the SPFL, He last played for us as a 20/21 year old for a few games. Look at him when he played regular at Hamilton in the SPFL, Shrewsbury for a season and his latest at Hibs. Compare to other loans out. HE STANDS OUT

I’d quite like Docherty to be in and around the team for when Davis eventually calls it, plenty of time to improve and flourish

playing well in a 1 all draw at livingston is fine for Hibs, not for us. Different pressures affect performance levels.

FWIW, i actually think from what weve seen of Kamara these last few weeks, Gerrard was a little hasty in punting Doc out

I believe he's either been MOTM, scored and/or got an assist in all four games he's played for Hibs. I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to sell him for shirt buttons as seems to be the way we do things when players are out of the picture. Now, a straight swap for Kamberi might be a reasonable compromise if Gerrard truly doesn't rate him.

It remains to be seen if Kamberi can maintain the form he showed in Perth - if he can then that's a huge bonus with Defoe crocked and Morelos horribly out of form.

Bit left field here but often read people here say he lacks technical ability for our midfield but with his drive and energy could he be converted to a left back? Or a wing back in system with 3 central defenders maybe.

I say this as we look like needing to move some players on for money in summer and recycle it elsewhere in team. Is Barisic so irreplaceable if Docherty could do such a job. As I say, bit left field, but just a thought.

He does change the formation he's used 3 different formations since the winter break. He shouldn't be in the squad but we have no cover for left back so that's why he is still here he will be gone in the summer.
We have no cover for left back so we shove a poor midfielder in there. Aribo showed more yesterday than Halliday has all season

dont agree, he is solely not being thought of due to the fact we dont play 4-4-2 just as jones is not a #10 and is not thought off also.

He is not competing against Arfield, Hagi's, Aribo etc.

He is competing against Kamara, Davis and Jack. So he would be 1 off 4.

Also you suggesting Kamara is better is subjective although SG would seem to agree.

Jones isn't thought of because he isn't good enough and ruined his Rangers career with that tackle against that lot.

Kamara blows hot and cold and like others is out of form the now but Docherty still doesnt play ahead of Davis or Jack.

Jones isn't thought of because he isn't good enough and ruined his Rangers career with that tackle against that lot.

Kamara blows hot and cold and like others is out of form the now but Docherty still doesnt play ahead of Davis or Jack.

So he does not play ahead of Davis and Jack... Well we agree here. But we just need to hope Davis and Jack can play a season without injurys or dip in form as after all that when you need a squad and competition for.

So he does not play ahead of Davis and Jack... Well we agree here. But we just need to hope Davis and Jack can play a season without injurys or dip in form as after all that when you need a squad and competition for.

And I fully expect we will go out and strengthen the midfield area in the summer.

I believe he's either been MOTM, scored and/or got an assist in all four games he's played for Hibs. I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to sell him for shirt buttons as seems to be the way we do things when players are out of the picture. Now, a straight swap for Kamberi might be a reasonable compromise if Gerrard truly doesn't rate him.

It remains to be seen if Kamberi can maintain the form he showed in Perth - if he can then that's a huge bonus with Defoe crocked and Morelos horribly out of form.

He has played 4 league games 1 goal and 1 assist. His other 3 assists and 1 goal are against a lowland league side.

Docherty should be playing against all the mince SPFL teams along with Greg Stewart.

Docherty doesnt have the technique and Steward doesn't have the pace to play in Europe or v the mentally challengeds but both are the type of player required against stuff SPFL sides.

Greg is what we have been missing someone driving into the box at can hit a shot but for some reason the gaffer can't see it with him

There isn't a player in our squad who shouldn't stand out like a sore thumb on loan at hibs or Shrewsbury.

....but all of the opinions on this thread are irrelevant. I can't grasp how, as others have said, he wasn't deemed good enough to even deputise for Davis or Arfield after european games.

For me, the lack of game time 1st half of the season is proof positive that he isn't wanted/rated by the current management team, despite plenty of lip service in the summer.

So if the current management team remain next season, he'll be finding a new permanent club as his abilities on loan isn't a new thing.

Back