Greg Docherty: Hype v. reality & a plea for some patience (The Rangers Report))

MacBear

Another excellent article by The Rangers Report highlights Greg Docherty's potential, but stresses that we have to remember this staunch bear is young and we need to allow him time to improve his game and become the player we all hope he will become:

https://therangersreport.com/2018/01/27/greg-docherty-hype-v-reality/

I don't think he'll walk straight into the team and i'm sure Murty knows this too, he'll get his chances over the coming weeks and months and may well come on leaps and bounds as McCrorie has, but we need to allow this to happen naturally and not get on his back, or the manager's back, if it doesn't happen immediately...

LongGameLoyal

Agreed, it will be counter productive to put too much expectation on the young lad.

That said he bossed us the last time he played at Ibrox!

This could be a pivotal signing for us...

A good read that. However I've faith that we know real potential when we see it. And as long as he's giving everything for the cause he will be given the slack he requires. Look at the incredible patience shown to Jordan Rossiter? Now if he could just get over his injury issues what a midfield pairing they two could turn out to be. (and by the accounts we've heard they two have already hit it off during training ... literally ;))

We’ve bought potential but in our position that’s our best way forward so can only hope the boy can rise to the undoubted pressure he will be under and probably is under at this moment to deliver.

Every time I have seen this kid play he has been their boss man, I predict he will be something special for us in the next few yrs. We are becoming stronger by the day and he is part of this.

Every time I have seen this kid play he has been their boss man, I predict he will be something special for us in the next few yrs. We are becoming stronger by the day and he is part of this.
See this is the kind of hyperbole that doesnt do the young guy any favours, there’s a world of difference between playing for Hamilton compared with playing for Rangers, no disrespect intended and unless you watch Accies most weeks it’s a comment that doesn’t really make sense

I actually agree that I think he will come on leaps and bounds for us, even in the list where he is 34th in the expected assists per 90 category, he would still be the 4th best in our team behind Candeias, John and Tav and above Windass and Miller and that's when playing for Hamilton.

Having the likes of El Buffalo and others to target up front for us means I can see him jumping up the analytics tables in this category quickly even with less minutes. But more important is the impact he could have as a midfield playmaker...

When you look at the linked post:

https://therangersreport.com/2017/1...aymaking-midfielders-in-the-spfl-this-season/

Although the original article urges patience... the post above highlights the following:

There is one more critical playmaking stat to consider.

Relative Scoring Chance Key Passes per 90

These are the Key Passes that set up the best kind of shots…shots that historically have a higher success rate then your typical shot. These aren’t just any shot…these are Scoring Chances.

Scoring Chances are kicked shots from the heart of the box & kicked or headed shots from within the six yard box. The players who are consistently setting up teammates with these kinds of chances are the kinds of playmakers that change games.
  1. Scott Allan, Dundee +0.90
  2. Stuart Armstrong, Celtic +0.84
  3. Ali Crawford, Hamilton +0.68
  4. Daniel Candeias, Rangers +0.57
  5. Elliot Frear, Motherwell +0.50
  6. Chris Cadden, Motherwell +0.43
  7. Dom Thomas, Kilmarnock +0.36
  8. Scott Sinclair, Celtic +0.36
  9. Ryan Christie, Aberdeen +0.34
  10. Blair Spittal, Partick +0.33
  11. Brandon Barker, Hibs +0.32
  12. Stefan Scougall, St Johnstone +0.28
  13. Connor Randall, Hearts +0.27
  14. Michael O’Halloran, St Johnstone +0.25
  15. Greg Tansey, Aberdeen +0.23
  16. Jordan Jones, Kilmarnock +0.22
  17. Liam Craig, St Johnstone +0.22
  18. Greg Docherty, Hamilton +0.21
  19. Josh Windass, Rangers +0.21
  20. Gary Mackay-Steven, Aberdeen +0.20
Most of the players on this list influence the matches from the flanks – but the top three are each central midfielders. From a Rangers point of view, this is what has been missing from the team this season. A true playmaker – dictating play from a central role. The highest Relative Scoring Chance Key Passes per 90 for a player in that role is Jason Holt with..(wait for it)…..-0.01. He averages slightly less then the average for Rangers midfielders & wingers.
But, any scouting list of Scottish Premiership playmakers should include 21-year old Greg Docherty. While Crawford is the main playmaker for Hamilton, Docherty’s youth is what adds a level of intrigue for any team looking to upgrade their midfield. (26/12/217)

I personally think he will grasp this opportunity to become a mainstay in midfield for his boyhood team as soon as he gets the chance and will force Holt (who I really like and played brilliantly against the sheep) out of the team once he gets settled in, as the stats show, he has incredible potential to become the midfield playmaker we have been crying out for... but we do still need to give him time to make this happen.

DUYrmi3WAAAXc5W.jpg

Last edited:
See this is the kind of hyperbole that doesnt do the young guy any favours, there’s a world of difference between playing for Hamilton compared with playing for Rangers, no disrespect intended and unless you watch Accies most weeks it’s a comment that doesn’t really make sense

There's also a world of difference between playing for Helsingin Jalkapalloklubi and playing for Rangers, but we have another 21-year-old who seems to have made that transition without much of a problem.
I don't think the superlatives applied to GD are any kind of hyperbole. I suspect you just don't want to put pressure on the guy but, really, I think he'll cope just fine.

Last edited:
Only in Scotland is 21 years old considered young. Of course we need to be patient with the boy but if he is good enough then he will play. Our Midfield looked great against the sheep until they tired badly but they will all keep the jerseys rightly for tomorrow but if Holt or Goss dips then Docherty deserves a chance.

FFS I thought the exact same when I first clapped eyes on Wayne Rooney how fukin auld was he? I will say it again I think we have a star in the making.
If you think my post will turn his head then so be it. FFS again.

FFS I thought the exact same when I first clapped eyes on Wayne Rooney how fukin auld was he? I will say it again I think we have a star in the making.
If you think my post will turn his head then so be it. FFS again.

He must be one of those posters who thinks what we say on here actually affects how our players perform!

It really doesnt.

I hope and believe this boy will do well, just the way he comes across is excellent. In football terms I don't think 21 is young let him get on with it.
Honestly think he’ll thrive at the club,excellent acquisition.

Stars can tell you some things however they don’t showquality of passes reading of the game organisation of team mates bullying opponents running power tackles headers dribbles

It looks like we have signed an Ian ferguson type character let’s hope he is half as good

Stars can tell you some things however they don’t showquality of passes reading of the game organisation of team mates bullying opponents running power tackles headers dribbles

It looks like we have signed an Ian ferguson type character let’s hope he is half as good
& Ian Ferguson was roughly the same age when we signed him,if he’s a good player then straight in the team with him:cool:

I hope and believe this boy will do well, just the way he comes across is excellent. In football terms I don't think 21 is young let him get on with it.
Twenty-one is still young, bud, very young.
More so, at a big club with high expectations and so, even more for Rangers.
Only very exceptional talents are good enough at that age to be regular first team picks to the point where the club aren’t actively looking to get a better player.

A good read that. However I've faith that we know real potential when we see it. And as long as he's giving everything for the cause he will be given the slack he requires. Look at the incredible patience shown to Jordan Rossiter? Now if he could just get over his injury issues what a midfield pairing they two could turn out to be. (and by the accounts we've heard they two have already hit it off during training ... literally ;))

To keep things in perspective in a thread in which we're encouraging patience towards young players, Rossiter is younger than Docherty.

Twenty-one is still young, bud, very young.
More so, at a big club with high expectations and so, even more for Rangers.
Only very exceptional talents are good enough at that age to be regular first team picks to the point where the club aren’t actively looking to get a better player.
M8 I think at 21 you should be ready it seems to be in scotland your still considered young at 25. I do understand stand it's night and day compared to who he was playing for but if he's good enough and I think he is a cracker you have got to play him.

There's also a world of difference between playing for Helsingin Jalkapalloklubi and playing for Rangers, but we have another 21-year-old who seems to have made that transition without much of a problem.
I don't think the superlatives applied to GD are any kind of hyperbole. I suspect you just don't want to put pressure on the guy but, really, I think he'll cope just fine.
There is quite a difference between a Morelos and a Docherty though.
It’s more than just footballing talent.

Agreed, it will be counter productive to put too much expectation on the young lad.

That said he bossed us the last time he played at Ibrox!

This could be a pivotal signing for us...

I don't get this " he bossed us " ......it was 0-0 at HT when we should've been 2-0 maybe even 4-0 up , they scored 2 break away goals and we still pilled on the pressure
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41895487

The possession % must be wrong when you see all the stats or Hamilton's possession was all in their own defence

That being said he'll get my full support

My pal is a PE teacher and taught him. He said that he has a fantastic attitude and is an absolute workhorse.
I can't say that I've seen him play, but the boy obviously has ability. Pair that with a good attitude and workrate, and there is no reason not to play him from the start.

Chochrane at hearts has been given a good run in the team and he has really benefitted from it.
Really hope he gets a chance, a proper run in the team.

I don't expect every signing to be a world beater, but I expect them to give their all. Something that we know we'll get from Docherty. I personally think he's got the talent to match the attitude and could be a huge player for us, both this season and for years to come.

I don't get this " he bossed us " ......it was 0-0 at HT when we should've been 2-0 maybe even 4-0 up , they scored 2 break away goals and we still pilled on the pressure

The possession % must be wrong when you see all the stats or Hamilton's possession was all in their own defence

He was excellent at Ibrox, stuck out like a sore thumb that day.

Only in Scotland is 21 years old considered young. Of course we need to be patient with the boy but if he is good enough then he will play. Our Midfield looked great against the sheep until they tired badly but they will all keep the jerseys rightly for tomorrow but if Holt or Goss dips then Docherty deserves a chance.

What about in the EPL where Lingarrd is only making a proper breakthrough at Man U at 25?

Harry Winks at Spurs, think is is 22 and still considered a prospect.

I would counter that only in Scotland you are expected to be the real deal before you are 20 because DJ scored the winner in the league Cup when he was 16

Having read the article, Greg's stats should improve once he gets an extended run in the team, we have better players who'll make runs and it's up to Greg to spot those runs, which should make his overall stats improve IMO.

He will be a regular in the first team sooner than many think. I think a lot are going to be pleasantly surprised. I honestly think he will be seen as our best midfielder before the start of next season.

He will be a regular in the first team sooner than many think. I think a lot are going to be pleasantly surprised. I honestly think he will be seen as our best midfielder before the start of next season.

Folk defended Peña's performance at Ibrox because he occupied Brown before being subbed despite not doing much in an attacking sense, Docherty will give him something to think about for 90 minutes if picked and given the same role as Peña had.

Folk defended Peña's performance at Ibrox because he occupied Brown before being subbed despite not doing much in an attacking sense, Docherty will give him something to think about for 90 minutes if picked and given the same role as Peña had.

Tags, Hamilton are sort of my 2nd team due to father in law being a fan and stadium 10 mins away.
I have seen more of him than most Rangers fans.
He offers us something we don’t have a player robust in the tackle but still creative and a goal threat.

Tags, Hamilton are sort of my 2nd team due to father in law being a fan and stadium 10 mins away.
I have seen more of him than most Rangers fans.
He offers us something we don’t have a player robust in the tackle but still creative and a goal threat.

Yeah I've seen your posts, and as you're the long term resident grumpy fucker on here its definitely encouraging reading you being so enthusiastic about him!

He has looked good in games, his stats are impressive, he was linked with a number of English clubs - why can't we be excited and slightly over the top about one of our own?

If he was a 21 year old German man, there wouldn't be people telling us to be patient and cautious.

Plenty within our support are quick to have a go at people when they are not so positive or diss a potential singing, yet when there is genuine excitement surrounding a signing, they are quick to jump in.

I can't wait to see the lad play in our shirt. From pictures we have seen of him and his family, along with his interviews, I'm even more excited about seeing Docherty.

I've seen him play, he was fantastic at Ibrox and not many players will come to Ibrox and boss that midfield area whilst being an creative influence. He has attributes we lack; power in the middle of the park, strong, athletic and disciplined. He has a good range of passing, vision, the ability to get on the ball, drive, create, rip a shot at goal. He won't be easily pushed off the ball, his work rate and desire is first class and he is a lad who's head is firmly screwed on.

My old man's friend doesn't support any one as such, just enjoys going to footba matches, he knows his stuff and absolutely raves about the lad.

People got themselves in a state over Lewis Morgan - although Docherty is a different style of player, he's by far a better player with more experience at a higher level.

The last time I was as excited about a Scottish lad was when we were chasing Brown and Thomson. Brown would have been an excellent signing under Walter Smith but he went to the bheggars and the rest his history.

Let’s face it, he’ll get the same time as everyone else, which is to say not very long at all.

It’s brutal, but that’s the reality: you either show you have the cojones to play for Rangers, and show it quickly, or a sizeable chunk of the support will start to write you off.

For what it’s worth, I have a feeling young Docherty won’t disappoint.

We make plenty of chances as it is. That isn't our main problem. Our main problem has been a soft centre midfield. Until McCrorie came in we were plain weak. This is what Docherty will improve as far as i'm concerned. I'm more interested in his combative ball winning skills.

He has all the potential to be genuinely top drawer for us, but we do need to remember he's a kid and this is a monumental move for him and he may need some time to settle. One thing is for sure though, his potential is exciting.

In the presser the other day, he admitted that Hamilton’s tactic is normally to sit in and pick their moments to break up the park.

When they decided to go on the front foot that day, he ran over the top of our midfield and the 2nd goal was from his surging run down our right side where he outpaced Tavernier over fully 30yards!

He really was a standout...even the last paragraph in the OP’s article refers to his performance that day.

In the presser the other day, he admitted that Hamilton’s tactic is normally to sit in and pick their moments to break up the park.

When they decided to go on the front foot that day, he ran over the top of our midfield and the 2nd goal was from his surging run down our right side where he outpaced Tavernier over fully 30yards!

He really was a standout...even the last paragraph in the OP’s article refers to his performance that day.

So in a couple of instances " he bossed the midfield " I was there I know what I witnessed but by having more of the ball for more of the game this will be a regular occurrence , don't take this the wrong way I hope he has the greatest of Rangers careers ......but when folk say he bossed the midfield that day I have a different view

Back