Greg Docherty linked to Hull City

JayDee

Could just be newspaper blether, mind you. Do we see a place for him in our team/squad?

Hull have just been relegated to league one and I’m sure the owner was viewed as being satisfied with this as it allowed him to lower the wage bill during the COVID period with restricted crowds. Can’t see them affording him?

Time for the lad to go and make a career for himself he just doesn’t fit with the way we play. Close to £1m with 20% sell on fee would be good.

Reports also mentioned Macclesfield, also suggestions that 2 unnamed League 1 teams were monitoring him.

Could just be newspaper blether, mind you. Do we see a place for him in our team/squad?
If we are wanting to have better than Jack, Davis, Kamara, or Arfield then no, there's no pace for Doc. Those guys have to be the future bench warmers and squad fillers, not the likes of Doc and young Ross. I hope Doc gets a move that is good for him and for the club. Wish him well.

We may get our money back on him.

He will have a decent career at top end League 1/Championship level.

A decent fee, a sell on fee and a buy back fee please and thank you.

Yes, I think this is the way to go. A buy-back arrangement in particular would be prudent move for Rangers to insist on. I'm not convinced by any means that Gerrard got the best out of Docherty, and that it is quite possible that after a year or two in the Championship that the player will emerge that many of us felt was there all along.

750k rumoured on social media as the fee, think that’s reasonable. Stick in a sell on % and it’s a decent deal for all parties imo

Reactions: KL2
I quite like Docherty's game and still think he has plenty of scope to improve but the manager clearly doesn't and obviously he's in a better position to judge than any of us.

Get a decent fee for him and wish him well.

That would be a good move for him to a big(for League One) club in a division he has already provide he can compete in.

Go there and play every week and make a career for himself, sticking around Rangers and go out on loans isn't going to do him any more good at 23.

He's different from what we have, is it something we need, I dont know. His time is up tbh, decent fee and a sell on and good luck to the lad.

I reckon he's still worth a shot at Rangers sometimes the manager out of habit last season played the same midfield when it clearly wasn't productive .

Certain players kept their places but still didn't Improve the crowd knew it & it had nothing to do with Impatience or Ibrox being intimidating what a load of codswallop that was the manager saw fit only to try & defend those underperforming players & his selections despite there being options at times out with injury or suspension .

Davis & Kamara eg good players on their game could easily slot young Gregg in there when it wasn't happening allied with what should have been a productive wide berth sadly also compounded some duff displays as an option at least I'd keep him.

It wouldn't surprise me if he went on to become a very good player, a bit like Fleck has done.

Just maybe hasn't fulfilled his potential as quickly as we were hoping.

Good shout and maybe one to watch if he does go down south.

Hopefully he’ll get a chance to rebuild his career.

Can't see him thriving here with the system we play. He's a hell of an athlete but not up to scratch technically. Would be keen to see him get a good move and play regularly

He’s an athlete not a great football player.

He will do ok maybe even in the Championship but not good enough for us .

Is the rumour not that Hamilton have a really big sell on clause like 30-40% and that’s why we got him for buttons ?

Hull would be a really good move for him and I wish him the best of luck .

I reckon he's still worth a shot at Rangers sometimes the manager out of habit last season played the same midfield when it clearly wasn't productive .

Certain players kept their places but still didn't Improve the crowd knew it & it had nothing to do with Impatience or Ibrox being intimidating what a load of codswallop that was the manager saw fit only to try & defend those underperforming players & his selections despite there being options at times out with injury or suspension .

Davis & Kamara eg good players on their game could easily slot young Gregg in there when it wasn't happening allied with what should have been a productive wide berth sadly also compounded some duff displays as an option at least I'd keep him.

His style doesn’t suit Rangers. It’s sadly that simple.

He needs space to be anything like effective, we don’t often get that.

He’s also lacking technically, his touch isn’t great and his passing lacks finesse.

He’s an all action, energetic, box to box midfielder of a level below our required standard. Typically Scottish in so far as he’s not awful at anything, but stands out at nothing particularly either.

He’ll have a decent career at a certain level. It’s obvious to anyone with eyes he’s not got it to play regularly for Rangers.

He tried, we tried, we both move on.

His style doesn’t suit Rangers. It’s sadly that simple.

He needs space to be anything like effective, we don’t often get that.

He’s also lacking technically, his touch isn’t great and his passing lacks finesse.

He’s an all action, energetic, box to box midfielder of a level below our required standard. Typically Scottish in so far as he’s not awful at anything, but stands out at nothing particularly either.

He’ll have a decent career at a certain level. It’s obvious to anyone with eyes he’s not got it to play regularly for Rangers.

He tried, we tried, we both move on.
Given the lethargy at times from our midfield in getting a move going especially Kamara & Davis a lot of times he should have been in with a shout.

instead SG stuck with them resulting in turgid displays from midfield some European & Some domestic games including Other Derby aside we were woeful .
As said the wide option was also amiss for a substantial period something imo SG never addressed !

So I reckon young Gregg wouldn't have looked out of place had he been draughted in to replace either Kamara or Davis eg.

As much as I'm still 100% behind the manager & the team for me SG has to utilise more of what he has it will be the making of him & in turn the team

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me if he went on to become a very good player, a bit like Fleck has done.

Just maybe hasn't fulfilled his potential as quickly as we were hoping.

I would be surprised.

Fleck was trying to fight his way into a midfield that contained the likes of Barry Ferguson, Steven Davis, Kevin Thomson, Pedro Mendes and Charlie Adam.

He always had the talent, it was just that we had a top class title winning midfield back then and one that, Brahim Hemdani included, took us to a European final.

To put it another way, Fleck would be one of the first names on the teamsheet if he was trying to break into the side now.

Docherty simply isn’t good enough. He’s done nothing as a Rangers player to challenge that belief and it’s one the manager clearly shares.

Best of luck to the lad, but there’s no point in him hanging around any longer.

Given the lethargy at times from our midfield in getting a move going especially Kamara & Davis a lot of times he should have been in with a shout instead SG stuck with them resulting in turgid displays from midfield some European &Some domestically games including Other Derby aside we were woeful as said the wide option was also amiss for a substantial period something imo SG never addressed so I reckon young Gregg wouldn't have looked out of place had he been draughted in to replace either Kamara or Davis eg.

As much as I'm still 100% behind the manager & the team for me SG has to utilise more of what he has it will be the making of him & in turn the team

When that’s translated into English, I’ll be able to consider your points mate.

It's a shame it didn't work out for him but he has had chances. If there is an opportunity to trim him from the squad then we should take it.

Back