Greg Docherty linked to Hull City

Think it’s best for Doherty to move as he’s clearly not in the manager’s plans. If we can get a decent fee and agree a sell on clause think that would be decent business for us

I had high hopes for him & im a bit surprised it didn’t work out better.

however it’s apparent now he was A glimmer of hope in a god awful squad & we have moved on a long way since then.

As others have said, wish him well.

Don’t think he’s a fit for us but a grafter and will get rewards if he finds the right club. Can’t fault his efforts.

The reality is that anytime Docherty has played for us, he has looked as poor a midfielder as I can remember playing for us, out with the lot that were down the leagues with us. He would have maybe done a turn then.

Has always looked out of his depth in a Rangers jersey and the only time he’s put in a good performance since signing for us was in England’s 3rd tier. He’s absolutely nowhere near the standard required, 750k is frankly a great fee for him.

Good luck to him

I haven't seen him play for ages now. I hoped he'd be the next Ian Ferguson.. seemed to have that cut about him. If he's not in the plans then he should go and play elsewhere. Get a good fee for him and a wee sell on clause.

Probably best for the lad if he gets a move and gets game time. Feel sorry for him though getting his dream move and it not working out.

I don't see him getting much game time this season. Longer term though Davis and Arfield are coming towards the end of their careers, and we might struggle to hold onto Aribo and Kamara long term too. So I think I'd really like to see us keep hold of him (and McCrorie for that matter) and see if they can develop into a first team player in the future. So I'm thinking another loan for the pair of them would be best...?

All the best to Greg. Lived the dream but ultimately he is not quite good enough for where we are and where we want to go. He'll go on to have a decent career elsewhere.

Anything close to the million we paid out I would take.
Its obvious the gaffer has made up his mind after two loans since he has been in charge

Think he'll do really well in the championship or league 1. The games are a lot more back and forth and that will suit him. Hope we put in a decent sell on as one or 2 good seasons can see players move for decent amounts.

His style - doesn't suit our style - or vice versa-
I can't see him - or us - changing style to suit

I firmly believe he could build himself a decent career elsewhere & become a success in the future

But right now - we're probably best to part ways

That said - we should make certain he's not sold on the cheap & if the right offer doesn't arrive- there's no real hardship for him or us - if he goes out on loan again - or stays & fights for his place

Calling him poor is a bit harsh surely

I’m a big Doc fan, but I think it is a fair assessment.

His passing is poor, his ball retention is weak. He’s a kick and rush type of player.

Great engine, great athlete.

I don’t like seeing him move on, but he’s not the standard of all round footballer we demand under Gerrard.

I personally think there is a role, somewhere in the right of the team, but Gerrard must think he’s poor. He doesn’t get close to games.

A Reyna lite version, I think he could be good.

Docherty being rated by so many is the biggest mystery about our support.

He's made about 10-15 competitive appearances for us and shown absolutely nothing in any of them
I think there are a few qualifications.
I liked the look of him when he came, although I am in full agreement that he isn't going to be up to competing in our squad.
He played 19 games in total but was never really given a big chance.
He also came at a difficult time, having to play against Celtic with Dorrans and Halliday beside him in midfield.
The game against Hearts, for example, 2-0 win, I thought he was outstanding, he set Murphy up for the long dribbling goal.
Finally, I think the fact that, unlike many, he has genuinely excelled on loan (Shrewsbury and Hibs fans are choking to get him back) shows he is a talent.

It's been a case of just not working out for several reasons.

Good luck to Greg. Hopefully the move will kickstart his career and he moves into better things

Given the lethargy at times from our midfield in getting a move going especially Kamara & Davis a lot of times he should have been in with a shout.

instead SG stuck with them resulting in turgid displays from midfield some European & Some domestic games including Other Derby aside we were woeful .
As said the wide option was also amiss for a substantial period something imo SG never addressed !

So I reckon young Gregg wouldn't have looked out of place had he been draughted in to replace either Kamara or Davis eg.

As much as I'm still 100% behind the manager & the team for me SG has to utilise more of what he has it will be the making of him & in turn the team
I think with Gerrard, you are either in or your out. Certain players were poor last season and continued to be picked.
It does grate on me a bit at times.

Gutted this hasn’t worked out for the boy.

He was genuinely ecstatic when he signed (as was his full family), and his attitude every day has been exemplary.

I sincerely hope he goes on to have a great career.

According to the BBC website Hull have permission to speak to Doc and the Swiss side we signed Itten from are after Ross. They quote Gerrard obviously not from a direct interview I assume.

For the benefit of his career I hope he gets the move. We are building a stronger team each year and he's never going to break into it now.

Back