Greg Docherty relishing opportunity to learn under Steven Davis

Bonnyloyal

GREG DOCHERTY grew up idolising Steven Davis and now he aims to pick his boyhood hero’s brains before pinching his spot in Steven Gerrard’s Rangers line-up.

The return of former club captain Davis to Ibrox on a six-month loan deal from Southampton has all but ended Docherty’s hopes that he may be called back from his own temporary stint at Shrewsbury this month.

But the former Hamilton youngster firmly expects to be back in Glasgow this summer, looking to compete with midfield ace Davis.

The Northern Ireland skipper’s Saints deal expires at the end of the season and he has already expressed his desire to make his Gers switch permanent.

Docherty knows that will only make his job of breaking into Gerrard’s team harder but he believes that he can learn from a player he used to cheer on from the stands — then look to replace him on the pitch.

The 22-year-old said: “Steven was the guy I watched out for as a kid when I was a season-ticket holder. I was only about 10 or 11 at the time and he and Barry Ferguson were the guys I wanted to be like.

“I remember he scored in the League Cup final against Celtic in 2011. He was outstanding that day, totally ran the game and I remember being buzzing watching it.

“He achieved so much the last time he was at the club with the amount of trophies he lifted.

“I don’t think he was really appreciated for how good he was at the time so it’s great the club have been able to get him back in. It’s a real coup and hopefully he can help us kick on now.

“But I’ve got to be thinking about coming back and looking to take his place.

“I’m realistic and understand that guys like Scott Arfield are good players with a lot of experience too. Ryan Jack is probably having his best ever season — I’m under no illusions about that.

“But I’ll just bide my time. My end goal is still to come back to Rangers and do whatever I have to do to be a success.

“Hopefully I can learn from these guys.”

Docherty was faced with a tough call during pre-season when Gerrard made it clear he would struggle for game time this term.

But he refused to sulk and has made the most of his opportunity after deciding to join the Shrews on loan.

So far he has contributed seven goals and five assists for the New Meadow outfit and hopes the development he has shown will be good enough to see him welcomed back into the Light Blues fold next season.

“Rangers seem to be quite happy with my progress and the last thing they want is for me not to be playing, so if I keep developing down here they will be happy,” said Docherty.

“With everything going on at the club — the win over Celtic, players like Davis and Jermain Defoe coming in — of course I was thinking it’d be great to be back involved in that this month but I’ve got to think about what’s best for me in the long term.

“Davis has signed and to go back up and learn from guys like him would be brilliant.

“He’s signed for six months initially but hopefully he’ll be there longer term. We just need to wait and see — I’ll just keep doing what I’m told down here at Shrewsbury until told otherwise.”

Great attitude from him, he's not let his head go down and is determined to prove his worth.
Still believe Gerrard was too quick to send him out on loan. Had he stayed he would of featured.
I look forward to seeing him back in a Rangers top.

You can't help but like Greg and his attitude.

Yes, the standard of football he's playing in at the moment is pretty poor, but I'm sure he'll be working his arse off to improve his distribution, which was way below the standard required .

He's got Arfield, Davis, Jack, McCrorie, Dorrans, Rossiter and Kamara all ahead of him currently in the pecking order, but he'll certainly give it his best shot.

Really hope he succeeds.

Great attitude from the young man.
Nothing would please me more than seeing him come back to Rangers and become a real asset to the team.

You can't help but like Greg and his attitude.

Yes, the standard of football he's playing in at the moment is pretty poor, but I'm sure he'll be working his arse off to improve his distribution, which was way below the standard required .

He's got Arfield, Davis, Jack, McCrorie, Dorrans, Rossiter and Kamara all ahead of him currently in the pecking order, but he'll certainly give it his best shot.

Really hope he succeeds.

He truly is one I really want to succeed. If he does, it'll be a hell of an achievement that he can be very, very proud of.

He only has to look to Halliday for inspiration. Greg needs a good season at Shrewsbury and I’m sure he will be given a chance. There may be a bit of space freed up with loanees going back?

When Greg says it he has a great attitude and when big Worral said less about playing again for Forest he got slaughtered.

The Worrall haters have been very quiet recently and no wonder after his performances on Boxing Day and against the mentally challengeds.

Hasn't actually played in a Rangers defence that's conceded more than 1 goal domestically.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's doing really well at Shrewsbury and I can't wait to see him back at Rangers. I think there is a definite player in there. Learning from Davis can only be a good thing.

Would like to see the wee man come back an learn how to play the game while Davis is with us he would learn more training with Davis than at shrewsbury

According to transfermarkt Greg currently has 7 goals and 7 assists from 28 appearances. That's a very good return.

If he keeps that up he'll be well into double figures in both by the end of the season. In that case it's likely he'll have Championship teams sniffing about him in the summer.

The Worrall haters have been very quite recently and no wonder after his performances on Boxing Day and against the mentally challengeds.

Hasn't actually played in a Rangers defence that's conceded more than 1 goal domestically.

He was piss poor prior to that, his commanding performance on the 29th doesn’t change that mate. You can also say we only conceded ‘x’ number of goals, but as long as supporters remember gifting away chances (many of which obviously taken) you’ll have a hard time convincing anyone he was doing the business prior to the 29th.

As for being quiet since that game, id hazard a guess that’s because he played well in that game, didn’t merit criticism and we haven’t played a game since.

He was piss poor prior to that, his commanding performance on the 29th doesn’t change that mate. You can also say we only conceded ‘x’ number of goals, but as long as supporters remember gifting away chances (many of which obviously taken) you’ll have a hard time convincing anyone he was doing the business prior to the 29th.

As for being quiet since that game, id hazard a guess that’s because he played well in that game, didn’t merit criticism and we haven’t played a game since.

He had a couple of shaky games, as had everyone, in the 1st half of the season mate.

He's never been piss poor and I'm struggling to remember a goal we've lost that he was culpable for.

For what it's worth, I'd still say Goldson and McAuley are probably our strongest partnership, but Worrall will keep the pressure on McAuley, which can only be a good thing.

You can't help but like Docherty and admire his positive attitude - he's certainly 'one of our own'!!. Fingers crossed that when he comes back to Ibrox he will be able to make a positive contribution to the team.

He had a couple of shaky games, as had everyone, in the 1st half of the season mate.

He's never been piss poor and I'm struggling to remember a goal we've lost that he was culpable for.

For what it's worth, I'd still say Goldson and McAuley are probably our strongest partnership, but Worrall will keep the pressure on McAuley, which can only be a good thing.

I’d have to disagree, I thought he had more than a few really poor performances. We were rather fortunate some of his gaffs didn’t cost us dear, I was under the impression Katic had been ousted for far less though it would seem the player has had family issues which perhaps played a part.

Still full credit to Worrall for his performance on the 29th, it was superb, but prior to that he was a nightmare.

The Worrall haters have been very quite recently and no wonder after his performances on Boxing Day and against the mentally challengeds.

Have we not only conceded more than 1 goal domestically once all season?

By the looks of it the stint down south is suiting him and it will make him hungrier to come back and be the player we all hope he is going to be ... this boy has the potential to be a top player .

GREG DOCHERTY grew up idolising Steven Davis and now he aims to pick his boyhood hero’s brains before pinching his spot in Steven Gerrard’s Rangers line-up.

The return of former club captain Davis to Ibrox on a six-month loan deal from Southampton has all but ended Docherty’s hopes that he may be called back from his own temporary stint at Shrewsbury this month.

But the former Hamilton youngster firmly expects to be back in Glasgow this summer, looking to compete with midfield ace Davis.

The Northern Ireland skipper’s Saints deal expires at the end of the season and he has already expressed his desire to make his Gers switch permanent.

Docherty knows that will only make his job of breaking into Gerrard’s team harder but he believes that he can learn from a player he used to cheer on from the stands — then look to replace him on the pitch.

The 22-year-old said: “Steven was the guy I watched out for as a kid when I was a season-ticket holder. I was only about 10 or 11 at the time and he and Barry Ferguson were the guys I wanted to be like.

“I remember he scored in the League Cup final against Celtic in 2011. He was outstanding that day, totally ran the game and I remember being buzzing watching it.

“He achieved so much the last time he was at the club with the amount of trophies he lifted.

“I don’t think he was really appreciated for how good he was at the time so it’s great the club have been able to get him back in. It’s a real coup and hopefully he can help us kick on now.

“But I’ve got to be thinking about coming back and looking to take his place.

“I’m realistic and understand that guys like Scott Arfield are good players with a lot of experience too. Ryan Jack is probably having his best ever season — I’m under no illusions about that.

“But I’ll just bide my time. My end goal is still to come back to Rangers and do whatever I have to do to be a success.

“Hopefully I can learn from these guys.”

Docherty was faced with a tough call during pre-season when Gerrard made it clear he would struggle for game time this term.

But he refused to sulk and has made the most of his opportunity after deciding to join the Shrews on loan.

So far he has contributed seven goals and five assists for the New Meadow outfit and hopes the development he has shown will be good enough to see him welcomed back into the Light Blues fold next season.

“Rangers seem to be quite happy with my progress and the last thing they want is for me not to be playing, so if I keep developing down here they will be happy,” said Docherty.

“With everything going on at the club — the win over Celtic, players like Davis and Jermain Defoe coming in — of course I was thinking it’d be great to be back involved in that this month but I’ve got to think about what’s best for me in the long term.

“Davis has signed and to go back up and learn from guys like him would be brilliant.

“He’s signed for six months initially but hopefully he’ll be there longer term. We just need to wait and see — I’ll just keep doing what I’m told down here at Shrewsbury until told otherwise.”
Will we ever see him in a Rangers top again.
Don't know how this will turn out myself!!

Back