Greg Docherty returns

Sadly, I think he will leave this summer. Gerrard obviously does not believe that he can play a role as one of the three in midfield. His attitude cannot be faulted, he is always the fittest player at pre season training and was determined to stay at the club and attempt to make his mark. It didn't work out last season, so not sure what Greg can do to stake his claim.

Personally, I would have him in the squad. This would allow you to rotate with Jack on the right side of midfield. Brings more of a goal threat and also would provide cover for when Tav is rampaging forward through his superior fitness levels (in much the same way that Candeias did). Jack could also play in the middle of the park, giving Davis a breather. As we should have learnt over the past 2 seasons, Gerrard is flogging his favorite players by playing them week in week out and the team starts to collapse in the second part of the season through exhaustion and injury.

Wherever he ends up, I am sure that he will go on to have a good career.

I'd loan him out in a Kamberi swap again. We need to help out some of these Premier sides and give them some players who won't roll over against the filth.

In the best interests of the player its probably time he moved on. The gaffer hasn't shown much appetite to fit him into his plans and another loan just runs down his contract.

I am of the opinion that Greg Docherty's time at Rangers is at an end and that we should cash in on the back of two fairly recent loans. Could just be me but he simply has never recovered from that mauling at Hampden against that mob in that season under Murty. Shirt looks heavy on him and he's not done anything in games for us since then to make me think otherwise. He's very athletic and makes good runs but he's not a very accomplished passer of the ball. Which is a shame because he looked the real deal while playing at Hamilton and I was excited when he signed. Failed to live up to the billing ultimately. Which is a shame because he's one of our own and has shown glimpses of what he's capable of and I'm not sure why it hasn't turned out the way we all wanted it to.

The FF cliché of a player getting better, the less and less he features is very apt when it comes to Docherty imo. People are always going to argue that he hasn't been given a 'proper chance' or words to that effect, but as far as I have seen from him. He's not really commanded a proper chance either. Had a great loan spell at Shrewsbury in the previous season and a good to middling, albeit, short spell at Hibs. I would argue the demands and pressures are off in both those spells away. It's going to take some superhuman level of pre season to convince Gerrard that he's got what it takes to be honest.

So is Aribo and he played in the “inside 10” position numerous times this season.

Docherty can’t get a game in our midfield, but he has attributes that could be useful elsewhere if we need to change tact.

One of Docherty’s main weaknesses is his technical ability something that is key in that position.

Sadly, I think he will leave this summer. Gerrard obviously does not believe that he can play a role as one of the three in midfield. His attitude cannot be faulted, he is always the fittest player at pre season training and was determined to stay at the club and attempt to make his mark. It didn't work out last season, so not sure what Greg can do to stake his claim.

Personally, I would have him in the squad. This would allow you to rotate with Jack on the right side of midfield. Brings more of a goal threat and also would provide cover for when Tav is rampaging forward through his superior fitness levels (in much the same way that Candeias did). Jack could also play in the middle of the park, giving Davis a breather. As we should have learnt over the past 2 seasons, Gerrard is flogging his favorite players by playing them week in week out and the team starts to collapse in the second part of the season through exhaustion and injury.

Wherever he ends up, I am sure that he will go on to have a good career.
I think greg could be a potential replacement for tav at right back. Hes got pace, power, can deliver a good ball and an unbelievable engine. All the attributes of a modern fullback. He struggles in the congested midfield at times with his decision making and technique, however at full back with the game in front of him and space to use his running power , it could be perfect for him.

I am of the opinion that Greg Docherty's time at Rangers is at an end and that we should cash in on the back of two fairly recent loans. Could just be me but he simply has never recovered from that mauling at Hampden against that mob in that season under Murty. Shirt looks heavy on him and he's not done anything in games for us since then to make me think otherwise. He's very athletic and makes good runs but he's not a very accomplished passer of the ball. Which is a shame because he looked the real deal while playing at Hamilton and I was excited when he signed. Failed to live up to the billing ultimately. Which is a shame because he's one of our own and has shown glimpses of what he's capable of and I'm not sure why it hasn't turned out the way we all wanted it to.

The FF cliché of a player getting better, the less and less he features is very apt when it comes to Docherty imo. People are always going to argue that he hasn't been given a 'proper chance' or words to that effect, but as far as I have seen from him. He's not really commanded a proper chance either. Had a great loan spell at Shrewsbury in the previous season and a good to middling, albeit, short spell at Hibs. I would argue the demands and pressures are off in both those spells away. It's going to take some superhuman level of pre season to convince Gerrard that he's got what it takes to be honest.

I agree with this and I think his move to us came at the wrong time for him in his career. We should really have tried to cash in on him after the Shrewsbury spell as his stock would have been high but for whatever reason the bids didn't come and if they did he wanted to stay. Can't fault his attitude and clearly being one of us he wants to succeed at the club.

He probably could have done without the season ending so early to try and do a bit more at Hibs to make an impression on the coaching staff. He just doesnt have the technical ability to fit into Gerrards style of midfielder he is looking for and he will be moved on in the summer.

I agree with this and I think his move to us came at the wrong time for him in his career. We should really have tried to cash in on him after the Shrewsbury spell as his stock would have been high but for whatever reason the bids didn't come and if they did he wanted to stay. Can't fault his attitude and clearly being one of us he wants to succeed at the club.

He probably could have done without the season ending so early to try and do a bit more at Hibs to make an impression on the coaching staff. He just doesnt have the technical ability to fit into Gerrards style of midfielder he is looking for and he will be moved on in the summer.

He deserved a chance after a successful loan at Shrewsbury but looked like he was the same player and hadn’t improved in the areas he was already deficient in so I think now it’s time to cash in.

Dependant on the circumstances this summer we may keep him on though for now.

Davis Jack Arfield all had spells where they dropped in form.

Not a bit of pressure on their place.

Doc would have been a better option at times

Certainly a very good squad player.

He deserved a chance after a successful loan at Shrewsbury but looked like he was the same player and hadn’t improved in the areas he was already deficient in so I think now it’s time to cash in.

Dependant on the circumstances this summer we may keep him on though for now.

Yeah you could be right I guess it will come down to what happens with McCrorie and Steven Kelly for example. Then you have the main 6 that we used this season Arfield, Aribo, Davis, Jack, Kamara and Hagi when he finally comes in.

Personally though I think Mccrorie, Doc and possibly Kamara will all be moved on in this window.

I think we need to improve over what we have in midfield now so the likes of Docherty and McRorie should go. Id sell Kamara if we got a decent bid. Jack, Davis and Arifield all have good ability but Jacks fitness a concern and the other 2 are on a decline. Aribo can be an absolute star but still needs work.

Realistically i think we need to go out and spend big on 2 quality midfielders.

I would keep both McCrorie and Docherty both young still and know what the club's all about and will fight for the team something we lacked last season especially away from home. Greg was scoring goals on loan for Hibs we lack a scoring midfielder and we need a strong squad.

I would keep both McCrorie and Docherty both young still and know what the club's all about and will fight for the team something we lacked last season especially away from home. Greg was scoring goals on loan for Hibs we lack a scoring midfielder and we need a strong squad.

Docherty isn't that either to be fair he has 7 league goals for 3 different clubs in the league we play in.

He needs to stay, what people are forgetting is its a squad game.
We could be in a position where we sell Kamara, Jack get injured and you are down to the bones.
We need squad players who are like Greg, young hungry and not on a huge wage.
Is Greg a first pic, no i don't think he will be, but as I said injuries and suspesions are when he will come in and do a very decent job for us.

I find it a bit of a shame for Docherty - I think there is a player in there but one we'll sadly not get to see. He's done well in just about every team he's been at from Accies to his loan stints from us. I'd like to see him given a chance before he is let go but I just can't see it.

For the sake of his career it's probably better he moves on. If we we can use him in a swap deal for Kamberi then that could be something. However, in all honesty I'd rather not see him wasted at Hibs either - although I have no doubt he'll do well for them they are a shower of shit.

Back