Greg Docherty returns

Not good enough on the ball for the manager that’s why he struggles to make the bench ,
I would try get a decent offer and let him move on to the English Championship or something no way I would be giving him to the Spoon burners .

Reactions: cav
I was suggesting extending his loan until January and then either recalling him then or selling him with 18 months remaining on his contract. He doesn't become 'worthless' at the 12 month point either so why would we release or pay off?
I agree, was getting a bit mixed up there.
brain has turned to mush with this lockdown.

You still believe it? I think he'll be sold.
I think he has shown he has enough potential to try and make a real crack at getting into the 11 and at the very least a regular on the bench.

Was excellent in his very short spell at Hibs.

Box to box, a runner with lots of energy who can chip in with a goal.

I think we wanted to sell him last summer but he dug his heels in and didn't even go out on another loan until January. Interesting summer ahead for him.

Delighted to see Doc back.

Said from Day One, I believe he will be a first team regular.
I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a player to succeed more. His attitude appears exemplary and he’s one of us.

But in the appearances we saw him last year he looked way, way out of his depth. I just can’t see it happening for him, sadly.

I don't think we need to make a decision until the pre-season (whenever that's going to happen) is well under way. Definitely last chance saloon for the lad at Rangers, but on the other hand there has been a wee bit of a thinning out of the squad already. If Gerrard sees enough then he might get a chance to be in and around the squad, and at that point it's up to him to seize any chance he gets.

If I was a betting man though I think he'll be off.

He joined at the wrong time imo, he needed another year at Hamilton to properly develop. I'd keep him and loan out again, I wouldn't swap him directly for Kamberi.

I think he should be given the chance to prove himself in the role they played Kamberi. When quick feet and dynamism doesn’t work (Kent) he has that “run through walls” approach that might be the alternative we need against a 10 man defence. He has a good touch and a very good finisher from almost anywhere.

Tbf mate, I watched Doc against Hearts for Hibs and he had a very poor game.

Equally, I went down to Shrewsbury to see him a couple of times and he was the best man on the park.

I don't get your comparison with Davis though.

Davis is a deep, holding midfielder, while Docherty is a box to box athletic type of player.

He would struggle in games when teams are defending deep against us, but may offer something when teams come on to us.

I'd love to see him make it with us, but I've got my doubts tbh.

Biggest pre season of his life coming up, whenever that may be.

Sorry MU, I wasn’t meaning a direct comparison there between Davis and Doc.

Just in general, we willingly cut our midfield numbers down by letting the likes of King and Docherty go last year and ended up having to flog Davis within an inch of his life after the break.

I think he should be given the chance to prove himself in the role they played Kamberi. When quick feet and dynamism doesn’t work (Kent) he has that “run through walls” approach that might be the alternative we need against a 10 man defence. He has a good touch and a very good finisher from almost anywhere.

Docherty is a central midfielder and Kamberi is a striker?

I thought out of all our midfielders that Docherty had the best change of being moulded by Gerrard. Just hasn't ever got a fair crack of the whip.

He was excellent against St. Joseph's at the start of last season then not so much against East Fife. Hard to judge him on these games.

Sorry MU, I wasn’t meaning a direct comparison there between Davis and Doc.

Just in general, we willingly cut our midfield numbers down by letting the likes of King and Docherty go last year and ended up having to flog Davis within an inch of his life after the break.

Yep, I agree mate regards Davis.

He was the best midfielder in the country before the break.

Docherty has been a success on every loan deal he’s had what more does he have to do
Calling his loan spell at Hibs a success is a bit kind tbh.

He scored a few against lesser opposition and was anonymous in the bigger games

Just not good enough. I wish the lad all the best and I'm sure he'll have a good career somewhere but it won't be at Ibrox. He hasn't had too many chances under Gerrard but the run of games that he had when we first signed him, he didn't show much. He was unable to control or greatly influence the game against east fife, as a central midfielder playing in a cup tie against a team 3 tiers below, if you can't dictate the game then you probably don't deserve many more chances tbh. Cash in and put any proceeds into the pot for a starting quality cm.

to be honest we are going to need a squad, not just 11 players..it's a long season.
Greg has shown at Hibs he can score and assist, he will be on low wages, I would definetly keep him.

to be honest we are going to need a squad, not just 11 players..it's a long season.
Greg has shown at Hibs he can score and assist, he will be on low wages, I would definetly keep him.
He hasn't really shown that at a rate worthy of considering him an option in all honesty.

The thing about developing young players is that you need to make decisions on who's worth persisting with. Docherty is a good athlete but Kelly for example has looked like a young Barry Ferguson at times in the youth setup and has just had a decent season in the championship.

Who? Allan is the only one that would get close to our bench and that wouldnt exactly be popular

Scott Allan is murder. He's nowhere near good enough for our bench.

Docherty wouldn't make our bench and Hibs didn't exactly miss Kamberi when he was on loan at Rangers.

Boyle, Kamberi, Dykes... jobbers just like Barker, Jones and Stewart.

Scott Allan is murder. He's nowhere near good enough for our bench.

Docherty wouldn't make our bench and Hibs didn't exactly miss Kamberi when he was on loan at Rangers.

Boyle, Kamberi, Dykes... jobbers just like Barker, Jones and Stewart.
I don't disagree with this, I just don't see who else they could offer without it being a laughably bad one

I think he has enough about him to play spfl level, but maybe not quite has the grasp of Stevie G’s style.
He could be player for the battle over 60mns and then sub for better quality. As Jack has been nullified by refs, maybe Doc could take some pressure off of Ryan to put in a tackle.

I badly wanted Doc to do well here, you can tell how much he wants it. But truth is he’s never looked like anything more than Hibs/Aberdeen level player whenever he’s had a blue shirt on.

The problem is teams tend to sit deep when they play us, and I don’t really think Docherty’s best attributes are very useful for the type of situations we usually find ourselves in.

I like him. Think he is good enough.

Going to contradict myself now.

Still wouldn't see him in starting 11, also if he was, think we would be needing extra midfielders.

Out midfield lacks energy, we need a box to box industrious midfielder!!

He has those attributes - madness to sell him and even worse if it’s a swap for FK

Great news as far as I'm concerned, I really rate him and he's done well on loan at both Shrewsbury and Hibs. Now's his time to put a marker down and fight for his place in the first team squad.

It’s why I’m not a coach or football manager but I am totally non-plussed as to who can and can’t contribute to us winning the title.

I really thought we had the squad to do it last year. But it all then went to shit. Maybe Docherty is the type of player who could excel for us domestically with the right players around him. He’s clearly got talent and that’s two loan spells he has had where he has done really well. Or maybe he just isn’t good enough for Rangers.

It just goes to show Rangers is a thousand piece jigsaw to get right, particularly after everything that has gone on since 2012.

I like docherty but as I’ve said if you can’t pass the ball then you won’t be in a rangers midfield. We won’t lose money though we will at least double our money if we sell down south. I’m more than happy for him to stay as a squad player if he’s improved on the ball and he may give something different. But he’s similar age to Kamara and Aribo who are both better footballers. Aribo is probably the player the most similar style in terms of box to box or Arfield.

Last edited:
Based on nothing. He lacks composure in his passing, sadly, and you won’t make it here without it.
This is it. Gerrard and Beale don't rate him in possession of the ball.

Fair enough - but then Gerrard and Beale need other options when the pitch is like a cow field and the opposition are committing foul after foul after foul.

This is it. Gerrard and Beale don't rate him in possession of the ball.

Fair enough - but then Gerrard and Beale need other options when the pitch is like a cow field and the opposition are committing foul after foul after foul.

I think he’s unsuited, in large part, for a career at Rangers when teams don’t come and have a go at you but shite it and pray for a point or a mistake.

It’s no surprise he’s looked best at teams where it’s frenetic and unstructured and open.

He’s a driving runner into space. We don’t see much of that.

Great attitude, fitness, like a tackle and can hit a shot. Unfortunately, touch like a tennis racquet and lacks vision. I'd have tried to convert him to a right wingback or right mid a year ago, he'll never make a centre mid at Rangers.

I think he’s unsuited, in large part, for a career at Rangers when teams don’t come and have a go at you but shite it and pray for a point or a mistake.

It’s no surprise he’s looked best at teams where it’s frenetic and unstructured and open.

He’s a driving runner into space. We don’t see much of that.
For the most part you're absolutely right.

I still think we need a touch of Walter in certain away games though, as was prominent this season.

Docherty can run and compete - sometimes that's all SPFL games become.

Thibk he'll carve a decent career out for himself away from Ibrox. Was hopeful he'd become a great player for us bit just hasn't worked out.

"Treated shockingly" is a belter though.

Nowhere near the standard required At this stage in his career unfortunately, will either be loaned out again or moved on permanently this season I believe.

Back