Greg Docherty returns

On his twitter he thanks Hibs and their fans. Every Hibs fan reply hopes he comes back, obviously made an impression there. I'm not saying we need him or anything, just pointing out he's been a success there (I'd swap him for Kamberi as a bench option or for easier home games)
Not a fan of Kamberi myself, simply dont think he is good enough. We need way better to offer options up front.

Don’t think the boy has had a decent chance. I’d give him next season as think he could surprise many. He’s got a bit of dig and carries the ball which none of our present midfielders do. Players like him are essential for games at the likes of Kilmarnock and Hearts wher you’re going to face a physical battle

A player that I like and that I hoped would go on to great things at Ibrox. He seems to have a great attitude and has done particularly well everywhere except Ibrox. Sadly, as others have stated, we need better right now and, as such, I suspect his time with us is at an end or certainly approaching it.

I would say that I think some of the criticism he received when playing for Rangers seemed a bit over the top and you can't help but wonder whether (like many a promising youngster who went before him) he simply couldn't cope with the unbelievable pressure (and criticism) we as fans heap on the shoulders of any youngster who fail to deliver week in week out in a Rangers jersey.

Heap praise on them when they show a bit of promise then, after a few weeks, the inevitable groans from the stand for a simple misplaced pass and the ultimate slaughtering and claims that they were never Rangers class.

Then we ask why we constantly fail to bring players through the ranks.

I totally agree and the fact he hasn't had a fair crack considering Brandon Barker has is criminal.
WTF do you see in Barker Stevie G.
Not having a dig at you mate but this myth annoys me, barker has played 5 league games, I can only remember one he started off the back of a good performance against livy. SG doesn’t use him atall, he was used tactically away in Porto a game in which I attended and he done a very good job. Yes he came on in final but again that was for his pace. I agree he isn’t up to standard but he hasn’t played every game as some on here seem to peddle. Therefore has not necessarily had a crack.

I’d keep him around the squad. He’s capable of playing against most teams in the league. As much as Kamberi made a bit of an impact when he arrived, I wouldn’t be swapping Docherty for him.

For the most part you're absolutely right.

I still think we need a touch of Walter in certain away games though, as was prominent this season.

Docherty can run and compete - sometimes that's all SPFL games become.
I think there’s an argument that the likes of Ross McCrorie and Docherty could have played a part in certain games where good passing football is very difficult to achieve-however the staff wrongly or rightly don’t see it that way and I fear neither will have a future with us for much longer.

I want better quality players don’t get me wrong,but I also respect that on a cold night in February away to St Johnstone you have to adapt or die to get the job done.

He's a better player than Ferguson.

I don't think Docherty is good enough, but he would be a better option than spending money on Ferguson.
Your right m8, twice the player Ferguson is, we have others to better than Ferguson , dont know whats happened with him as he defo has it, must have had wee tiff with SG not to get a shout

He hasn’t had a decent chance to be fair but we and the gaffer know we need better.

This is our biggest season since 2012 and we need to get it right.

Not Rangers level, neither is Kamberi.

He'll be a very decent midfielder in Scotland, get a decent fee and on we go.

Cant take the ball in, make space, distribute, find space, receive again, recycle again.

Has no future in a Gerrard midfield.

Scott Allan is murder. He's nowhere near good enough for our bench.

Docherty wouldn't make our bench and Hibs didn't exactly miss Kamberi when he was on loan at Rangers.

Boyle, Kamberi, Dykes... jobbers just like Barker, Jones and Stewart.
Kamberi and Dykes are far superior to the likes of Barker and probably stewart

No room for sentiment.

If we're being realistic more than hopeful for the title next season players like Docherty should be no where near the starting 11.

You are asking an average player to play a pivotal role in a midfield three when he has shown very little promise up until now. Even the bench needs better than the likes of Docherty, Stewart, Jones etc. We had no hope last season when looking to the bench for much inspiration. Defoe was about it.

The delight amongst the majority of support when we signed Hamilton Academicals best player was baffling.

He is no where near the level required. At the moment and I very much doubt withing the next two years or so will he ever reach the level necessary.

I would keep him as a squad player, the boy is not afraid to get stuck in and has a great engine in him. Might not have bags of skill but we will need guys that are battle ready next season.

I am honestly glad he is back,as we need more from our midfielders especially the last third.He is strong and has drive and a not scared to shoot.He will have developed a bit more at Hivs.With Kamberi not flavour of month at Easter rd ,I can see us pinching him if finances allow.

His performance in the last Edinburgh derby was very poor. A poster on here had built him up saying we would see a dominant middle field performance that night but he contributed very little, I think a lot of people made up their minds about Greg that night.

He’s definitely got good qualities and he is something different to what we have just now. Sadly I just can’t see him ever being a regular starter for us.

He will be moved on in the summer window as it's obvious Gerrard doesn't rate him. He maybe able to run all day but he isn't good enough on the ball to play in the midfield.

1 goal and 1 assist in 6 league games. His others were against BSC Glasgow and Inverness. He will go on and have a career down south.

Showed at Hibs that’s he’s improved on the ball and better than any on here give him credit for in that regard.

Watching Gerrard flog Davis game in game out when he had patched Docherty to Hibs was infuriating. I’m not saying he is the answer, but there’s absolutely no doubt that away to places like Pittodrie, Tynecastle and Rugby Park we need workers in midfield and Docherty fits the bill.

I honestly think he’s been treated shockingly. We need to widen up to the fact that it won’t always be pretty football that sees us win games in this league - it’s depressing and says a lot about the game here, but we need more players who can grind the points out.

He’s here, he’s young, he’s got talent, athletically one of the best if not the genuine best in the league. Even as a player off the bench, I wouldn’t let him go unless it’s part of a deal that benefits us.

I agree with this

I think he should be kept. We still need squad players and I think he could play a part.
I tend to agree,the same applies to Murphy who for me would do a better job than JJ, I think we've kept worse and I think he deserves a fair crack,he must be really frustrated.

He’s got the energy and pressing of a top player, and the footballing ability of a Hibs/Aberdeen type.

His ball retention and passing just aren’t there.

I think he’d be better narrow right in time. Close off teams and be a decent back up/option away from home.

He’s not good enough for the centre of the park.

He’s got the energy and pressing of a top player, and the footballing ability of a Hibs/Aberdeen type.

His ball retention and passing just aren’t there.

I think he’d be better narrow right in time. Close off teams and be a decent back up/option away from home.

He’s not good enough for the centre of the park.

Failure on Gerrard’s part?

Failure on Gerrard’s part?

Gary Mac and Gerrard - you’re usually in good hands.

maybe just a limitation. They’ve taken Jack to the next level. They’ve given Doc a lot of time in pre-season etc, just clearly not showing it.

Shame, one of these thoroughly likeable lads.

Dont think he has a future with us, but most of the teams in league 1 will not be buying this summer so he will prob be away on loan.

I hope he gets a chance to prove himself and that he is good enough to play for us. I thought he had a very positive Pre-Season with us last year and I was particularly pleased with simple passes to link up the play. I also like the fact he can play as a box to box midfielder for us. Hopefully he can get a run of games in the team next season as he has not had that under Steven Gerrard yet.

This thread shows the player splits our support but that’s probably the case for a lot of our players.
I like him but as I’ve said before my favourite players over the years are bluenoses. I hope he can take any opportunity the gaffer gives him, I’m just not sure if his future has already been decided.
I seem to remember he the chance to take brown out at Ibrox and appeared to dither and not fancy it.

He's had 2 full pre seasons and 2 years to impress Gerrard and he's been punted out on loan both times. It's just not going to happen for him here.

I like him because he's a Rangers man and his attitude is first class but we've seen Gerrard values midfielders who can maintain and circulate possession which aren't Doc's strength. I suspect Ross McCrorie will be away for the same reason.

I think in SPFL games sometimes we do need to win the battle before we can impose our football on the opposition so players like Doc and McCrorie would be useful in the squad however I think both will be away this summer. Good luck to them wherever they end up.

Docherty is a central midfielder and Kamberi is a striker?
So is Aribo and he played in the “inside 10” position numerous times this season.

Docherty can’t get a game in our midfield, but he has attributes that could be useful elsewhere if we need to change tact.

I know it was only 1 game on a hoor of a pitch but I was massively disappointed when Docherty started against East Fife in the League cup. For someone who had spent the previous season on loan you would think he would be going all out to impose himself on the game like that against modest opposition and he just went through the motions.

I think Docherty is a decent enough player but see if I'm brutally honest I doubt he would even make the scum's bench. Midfield in particular they are streets ahead of us. Don't know how we begin to bridge that gap but Docherty isn't the answer.

Don't know what sort of money he's on but with Davis getting on and Jack forever injured I'd be inclined to keep him, he's whole hearted with great energy and I think he's trying too hard to impress when given the chances he's had.

There is just something in me that thinks we'll regret moving him on and I'm a great believer in a core group of rangers men in the team (if good enough). I'd hate to see him at Hibs or Aberdeen I've feeling he would haunt us.

Reactions: Jeb
Back