Greg Docherty - Sweet Caroline

A better effort than most of the recent ones on here, but I hate Sweet Caroline so I'm really hoping this doesn't catch on.

Like it, it’s simple, it works and the tune is a catchy terrace friendly number.

Be good to see the bears take this one up.

Get a second verse written and stop messing about with claptrap. :D
Second verse now included :D

Again - open to suggestions of specific lyrics, but second verse follows as:

Greg Docherty oh, oh, oh
Midfield's never looked so good
(so good, so good, so good)
Living his dream (Oh oh oh)
Like he always said he would
(he would, he would, he would)

Greg Docherty oh oh oh
The boy is Rangers through and through
(And through, and through, and through)
He’s here for years to come oh oh oh
And soon 55 will be won
(and won and won and won)

Greg Docherty oh oh oh……………..

I’m all for it ,better than the anti IRA cringe pish ,the boy Docherty must have been embarrassed hearing that tripe .
Exactly mate - and that's the point. Wen we know our players will be embarrassed and cringe at their songs then i think it's time to give it a rest and seek more positive alternatives.

Can you imagine his family listening to that ??

You’ve a winner there mate you’ll need to get the union bears to push it at the hibs game and especially before partick.

Second verse now included :D

Again - open to suggestions of specific lyrics, but second verse follows as:

Greg Docherty oh, oh, oh

Greg Docherty oh oh oh
And soon 55 will be won

Greg Docherty oh oh oh……………..

And a 3rd just to give it even more substance

And a 3rd just to give it even more substance
Ok, ok, ok :D

Optional third verse now included. But don't want it to get too complex ;)

Greg Docherty oh, oh, oh

Greg Docherty oh oh oh
And soon 55 will be won

Greg Docherty oh oh oh
He bleeds red, white and blue
(And blue and blue and blue)
Magic on the ball oh oh oh
Doing his best for us all
(Us all us all us all)

Greg Docherty oh oh oh…………….

Here's an easy to remember effort:

Docherty (yeah, yeah)
Aha, yeah, yeah
Aha, yeah yeah
Aha, yeah yeah
Docherty (yeah, yeah)
Aha, yeah, yeah
Aha, yeah yeah
Aha, yeah yeah
Docherty

I like that, but I think one verse is enough McCartney. :D
I agree - my preference would be one verse - two absolute max ;):D

Keep it simple, catchy and one that we can all latch onto without too much trouble.

As an 'anthemic' tune/chant I think it would be great - but that's just my opinion.

Up to the wider Rangers support if we take this on, or not.

But we simply can't stand back and allow yesterdays song for the lad to be his signature song. That just would not be right and would be disrespectful to the lad and his family/friends.

Maybe a wee song for Greg ?

Great tune and would sound great on the terraces form the bears IMO.

I admit that it might need a bit of work on some of the lyrics but for a first draft how about:

Greg Docherty oh, oh, oh

I await the pelters !! :D
Valiant attempt however anytime That Sweet Caroline has been played at any game/Dance, Function etc that's Rangers related, FTP always appears.

It's up to as many of us as possible to avoid the add-on's.

I'm generally one of song what we want brigade, but these add on's add nothing to the songs and the players themselves will hate them.

Particularly at Ibrox - where the atmosphere is terrible - we need songs that everyone will want to join in with and be proud to sing. The Greg Docherty one from yesterday was just rubbish, hence my post today to try and get an alternative going and one that the lad himself would like - because he would have been cringing at that yesterday. Is that what we want ?
I agree 100%. But how do you encourage those who seem hell-bent on shoe horning the pope or the IRA into every song to avoid the add ons?

Valiant attempt however anytime That Sweet Caroline has been played at any game/Dance, Function etc that's Rangers related, FTP always appears.
I hear what you are saying mate. Totally.

It's just my proposal really - but in the cold light of day I'd like to think the majority of the support will have more respect for Greg Docherty than to continue with what we heard yesterday.

We're always on the look out for new songs for players. In theory add ons could be added to any song - so we can't not devise songs on the basis that some might ruin it by unnecessary and cringeworthy add ons. Would be sad if this was he case.

I hear what you are saying mate. Totally.

It's just my proposal really - but in the cold light of day I'd like to think the majority of the support will have more respect for Greg Docherty than to continue with what we heard yesterday.

We're always on the look out for new songs for players. In theory add ons could be added to any song - so we can't not devise songs on the basis that some might ruin it by unnecessary and cringeworthy add ons. Would be sad if this was he case.
As I quoted in my Initial Post, Its a valiant attempt and would no doubt go down well on a matchday.

Only time will tell in regards to the add ons.

I admit that it might need a bit of work on some of the lyrics but for a first draft how about:

Greg Docherty oh, oh, oh

Yes definitely sing along to that

Doesn't sound too bad in 2016 ;)

Each to their own. I didn't think it sounded good myself.

Sweet Caroline is the most overplayed/overused song in history, and that's a fact. Can't get away from that song if you tried, a full 49 years since it originally came out!!

I never wade into any of these threads as I am really not musically oriented and I am not a fan of the song I am about to suggest but why not sing the following, if you are concerned about add-ons (to the tune of Vindaloo).

Docherty, Docherty, for we all love Docherty
He’s gonna scored one more then you!

Doesn’t 100% rhyme but not sure it’s that bad ot would matter? Also not room for add-ons.

UPDATED: to include optional 2nd and 3rd verses.

Greg Docherty R, F, C
Living his dream ( R ,F ,C)

Optional
Greg Docherty R , F ,C …………….
Greg Docherty R , F ,C
He’s here for years to come R ,F , C
And soon 55 will be won

Optional
Greg Docherty R , F , C
He bleeds red, white and blue
(And blue and blue and blue)
Magic on the ball R , F , C ,
Doing his best for us all
(Us all us all us all)

Greg Docherty R , F , C …………….

the addons can easily be changed

I agree - my preference would be one verse - two absolute max ;):D

Keep it simple, catchy and one that we can all latch onto without too much trouble.

As an 'anthemic' tune/chant I think it would be great - but that's just my opinion.

Up to the wider Rangers support if we take this on, or not.

But we simply can't stand back and allow yesterdays song for the lad to be his signature song. That just would not be right and would be disrespectful to the lad and his family/friends.
Burns didn’t do badly with a 26 versed ditty

There would be no chance in hell of stopping the replacing of Oh Oh Oh to you know what .
Which is quite a sad endictement for a song for a young lad who i'm sure would not relish the prospect of add ons in his name.

Those thinking of including add ons should stop and think about what the player would like.

I remain optimistic. We have to be.

Which is quite a sad endictement for a song for a young lad who i'm sure would not relish the prospect of add ons in his name.

I remain optimistic. We have to be.

I couldn’t agree and hope it wouldn’t but it would mate 100%.

I forgot the words and all about what comes after the Halliday song when Greg’s name was getting sung yesterday until I heard it.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with TBB but the bought a flute for 50p song gets sung even louder these days it’s mad haha.

I really like that, nice and original.

Sadly the FTP would be added into it, as per usual.
Very possibly mate.

BUT - IMO we shouldn't stop the introduction of new player songs on the basis that they might have unnecessary add ons included. That's just accepting the situation and I, personally, would like to see us challenge that and change it going forward.

The lad must have been excited about what song we would have for him - and then yesterday happened :( His heart must have sank and thought - is that really the best they can come up with :(

Football really is like going to a pop concert now, it’s like so many people care more about songs than they do the football.

Very possibly mate.

BUT - IMO we shouldn't stop the introduction of new player songs on the basis that they might have unnecessary add ons included. That's just accepting the situation and I, personally, would like to see us challenge that and change it going forward.

The lad must have been excited about what song we would have for him - and then yesterday happened :( His heart must have sank and thought - is that really the best they can come up with :(

I totally agree with you, 100% on board. It's a great effort and I would love to see more originality from us, like this.

Each to their own. I didn't think it sounded good myself.

Sweet Caroline is the most overplayed/overused song in history, and that's a fact. Can't get away from that song if you tried, a full 49 years since it originally came out!!
That's fair enough sir. You're completely entitled to your opinion. I don't think it's necessarily about how it sounds, but rather the feel good factor that comes with it. In essence, it's a song about the 'good times' and I think we can both agree that they're just around the corner for the Teddy Bears.

Football really is like going to a pop concert now, it’s like so many people care more about songs than they do the football.
For many football fans the reason to go to games as - opposed to sit at home - is to indulge in group singing and enjoying and being part of an atmosphere that you can't get elsewhere.

It's fan culture mate - been on the go for decades. What we sing can add to our identity, hence we want to sing songs which we can be proud of. IMO it's important what we sing and how we sing it.

Songs sung to show respect for our club, our players and ourselves. Important we recognise this IMO.

Exactly mate - it CAN be done.

Deep down, the lad and his family would have hated that song yesterday. Makes his dream move and that's the first song we come up with. We are better than that - and he deserves better than that.

Exactly

His family will be mortified

What's wrong with he's one of our own?

I've been cringing recently at the amount of add ons 19th Century Terrorist bastards etc

Exactly

His family will be mortified

What's wrong with he's one of our own?

I've been cringing recently at the amount of add ons 19th Century Terrorist bastards etc
Yes. IMO the lad warrants a song with decent and respectful lyrics and no need to reference the usual add on stuff.

Not great for the lad or his family if his signature song is dominated by that.

We have to look at an alternative and the purpose of this thread was simply to put an alternative out there.

Back