Greg Docherty With An Absolute Screamer v Kilmarnock

I wonder what would happen if he was made Hibs' POTY, after being similarly hnoured at Shrewsbury Town. Could anyone still reasonably say that he isn't worth a giving a chance to at Rangers?

Doc is a player who gives his all every time he goes out onto the pitch. I like his attitude when he has been out on loan, first at Shrewsbury and now Hibs. Hopefully he fires one of those in against the Tims to help us out a bit.

He isn't technically good enough to play a role in Gerrard's ideal midfield.

He might work in a different system but from what I've seen he isn't the greatest footballer, really good athlete though

I think this might the loan spell that brings out his full potential and confidence that allows him to propel himself in to our first team.

He hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip at Rangers. Hopefully he can keep up the good performances and get a proper chance at Ibrox next season.

Baffled why Stevie isn't keen.

At a guess, Gerrard places a lot of emphasis on midfielders who are comfortable in possession and able to help us recycle the ball. On the few occasions Docherty has been given he’s failed to do that with any great assurance. I imagine he’s felt to be behind our other midfielders in training in this respect too. I don’t think there’s any petty or arbitrary reason for him not getting a game - he just hasn’t been demonstrating that ability as well as others.

However, we’ve seen over the past few weeks that our endless passing in the middle third isn’t really opening up defences anymore and in the games against Hearts and Kilmarnock especially we lacked a physical presence that perhaps Docherty could have filled.

What I will say though is that standing out for Hibs and Shrewsbury is completely different than doing so for us. Neither Hibs or Shrewsbury regularly face 10 man defences and teams playing like it’s their cup final.

I think he’s a decent player, but as with Jamie Murphy down at Burton, he seems to be turning into something a displaced saviour for us as we continue to stumble from game to game.

I’m not sure he’s the answer.

At a guess, Gerrard places a lot of emphasis on midfielders who are comfortable in possession and able to help us recycle the ball. On the few occasions Docherty has been given he’s failed to do that with any great assurance.
That is what it is. But it's clear we need centre mids breaking the lines more and Jack is the only centre mid we have who does this well. Sometimes we a centre mid making those runs from deep that are very hard to track.

I counted nine Killie players, ten if you count the goalkeeper in and around the box at the point of Doc scoring.
I wasn’t referring to his goal , I meant in general it can be harder playing for us for a midfielder to break teams down.

He may or may not be good enough for Rangers ( we have yet to really see) but,

he is a completely different option from what we have in midfield with Jack , Davis and Kamara all being far too similar and not a goal threat in all honesty .

At a guess, Gerrard places a lot of emphasis on midfielders who are comfortable in possession and able to help us recycle the ball. On the few occasions Docherty has been given he’s failed to do that with any great assurance. I imagine he’s felt to be behind our other midfielders in training in this respect too. I don’t think there’s any petty or arbitrary reason for him not getting a game - he just hasn’t been demonstrating that ability as well as others.

However, we’ve seen over the past few weeks that our endless passing in the middle third isn’t really opening up defences anymore and in the games against Hearts and Kilmarnock especially we lacked a physical presence that perhaps Docherty could have filled.

What I will say though is that standing out for Hibs and Shrewsbury is completely different than doing so for us. Neither Hibs or Shrewsbury regularly face 10 man defences and teams playing like it’s their cup final.

I think he’s a decent player, but as with Jamie Murphy down at Burton, he seems to be turning into something a displaced saviour for us as we continue to stumble from game to game.

I’m not sure he’s the answer.

In a previous response to the 'Docherty thread' I posed the hypothetical question what '..if he was made Hibs' POTY, after being similarly honoured at Shrewsbury Town...'? To me, it would clearly indicate that the player is worth being given at least some game time at Ibrox before deciding that he isn't up to the job.

As to the argument that he doesn't '...regularly face 10 man defences...', as I recall neither did Ryan Jack when he was at Aberdeen, yet until Rangers recent dip in form he was regarded as one of the mainstays of the team.

SG is by no means infallible. Whilst I fully support his continuing as manager, some of his decision-making is highly questionable. For eg., his refusal to call on Jordan Jones during the recent Kilmarnock debacle - a game played on a pitch that Jones was obviously familiar with - struck me as a missed opportunity that could have turned the game.

Part of being a good manager involves the ability to nurture and develop young players. Klopp - whom Gerrard probably hopes to succeed has, both at Liverpool and at Dortmund, given us ample evidence of possessing this attribute. It is an aspect of a football managers portfolio that Gerrard needs to work on - an observation with which Docherty and Jones would probably concur.

Docherty's all action box to box style doesn't seem to fit with Gerrards preference for midfield players who are comfortable on the ball and reluctant to drive forward.

I'd like to see Docherty given an opportunity with us but just can't see him ousting Davis, Jack, Kamara, Arfield, Aribo etc

Not criticsing Gerrard but Docherty offers something different to our current midfield players and it doesn't appear to be 'happening' for many of them at the moment.

Not sure if Gerrard simply doesnt rate young Scottish talent or just doesnt trust them but the likes of McCrorie, Docherty and Hastie give everything in each game and are decent players. Even on the bench, they would give us some decent options as i feel they are no worse than some of the dross that we have in our squad at the moment.

Not sure if Gerrard simply doesnt rate young Scottish talent or just doesnt trust them but the likes of McCrorie, Docherty and Hastie give everything in each game and are decent players. Even on the bench, they would give us some decent options as i feel they are no worse than some of the dross that we have in our squad at the moment.

Hopefully the fact he hasn't let them go permanently means there may be an opportunity for them still.

I think that’s unfair to Murphy as he was an important contributor to the team before his injury. It’s a different situation.

He may or may not be good enough for Rangers ( we have yet to really see) but,

he is a completely different option from what we have in midfield with Jack , Davis and Kamara all being far too similar and not a goal threat in all honesty .
Jack is at least as much of a goal threat as Doc. And is a lot more comfortable in possession.

Back