Greg Docherty

I think he’ll play for Scotland one day.

His style is just not suited to our 3 midfield slots, particularly when the left and right sided players sit and let the full back push up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he goes on to have a great career somewhere but at the moment we are needing a level above where Doc is and we unfortunately can't give him the time to improve. It's too important to mess up

I would love to see him get a run of games but sadly looks like it won’t happen. Good luck to the lad. Sounds like he has a great attitude despite his lack of games

Would love to see him in the team and it seems like he is desperate to play for us but you have to trust the judgement of the coaching staff who see him in training every day. If they feel he's not up to it, who are we to argue?

Barjonas also leaving on Loan to thistle that would mean excluding Aribo as he seems to prefer the narrow forward positions that leaves us with 4 senior midfielders for 3 midfielders that's cutting it thin surely at least a Midfielder has to come in
Especially with a game literally every 3/4 days until the international break.

He can't get near our team because his style does not suit how our midfield plays. He's an all action box to box player and we play with three possession based midfielders.
Our first choice 5 midfielders are all current internationals and his technical ability and ball retention is just not as good as them.

Would have loved him to make it with us but sadly it looks like it's not to be.

I hope we don't leave ourselves short by loaning out too many players this window. While SG clearly doesn't rate the lad we do not have that many CM if we get a couple of injuries there. Aribo is now a right forward.

We need two players for each position. We currently have Davis, Jack, Kamara, and Arfield who are good enough. That means we need two more. Until we get ones in that SG rates who do we have as fifth and sixth choice should Docherty leave?

I like Docherty and think he could still contribute but as a player he needs games to improve his game. So I think he’ll be away on loan again soon . I’d rather not sell him just yet
Gerrard wished for him to improve his passing stats - he did not do that last year

Phil Parkinson still pushing hard for him. I honestly would prefer him to stay at the club. I’ve always been a fan. Understand he wants to play but he’s great backup for the latter part of the season
Nowhere near th4 match day squad. Better he goes and gets some football somewhere

I hope instead of just selling him this January, we loan him to a decent team so he can prove himself again down south, then hold out for at least £2m in the summer. That gets us a Barisic or Katic.

Got to feel for him as it's not worked out at his boyhood heroes. Probably best for all parties if he moves on though as he's clearly not in the managers plans

Got to disagree with you op, as much as I would love one of our own thrive in our team unfortunately he hasn’t got what it takes and it’s not just Greg there are a good few others who hopefully move on and bring in serious position contenders

It's a real shame that it has not worked out for him, was really hoping he could find the form to keep him here but it look's like his time is up.

2 years ago he would be a first pick but sadly for Greg not anymore. I really feel for the lad, he signed at the tail end of our troubles and is a genuine Rangers fan that wanted to stay and fight for his position in midfield but our midfield are just too good.

Honestly best option for both parties is probably to move on and try and make a career for the boy.

I hope instead of just selling him this January, we loan him to a decent team so he can prove himself again down south, then hold out for at least £2m in the summer. That gets us a Barisic or Katic.
Showed a good level a Shrewsbury. Agreed the standard is lesser but I totally agree with your view

He clearly wants to make it here but if the manager doesn't have him involved in the type of cup games we had on Friday or start the bounce game ahead of Polster and Barjonas then it is best he moves on.

It is a shame but that's the reality of professional football.

I thought Gerrard made it fairly clear with everything that he'd get one more loan and a pre season, if he doesn't show real signs of improvement then that's him. Can't say he hasn't had a fair shake at it then.

He'd make a decent right wingback. He has athleticism which is vital, likes a tackle and likes a shot. Unfortunately for Greg Docherty we can't wait on him learning that position but I think he's more chance of playing a higher level there than in midfield.

I really want him to be a success for us but sadly it doesn't seem that will happen now.

I don't think he made the best of the opportunities he was given in the first team, his passing was pretty poor at times and he didn't have much impact.

I can't see him dislodging any of our current midfield anytime soon.

Unfortunately he isn't going to become a regular with is, best he moves on. Sunderland would be decent for him, at some stage they will get back up the leagues

Happy for him to move on. Guy could still have a good career but needs game time right now which won’t happen at Rangers

The less he plays, the better he gets for some it seems.

Understand why you’d want a young Rangers man to be a success here, but he’s nowhere near the level of Davis, Jack, Kamara.

Needs to leave and play regularly. Perhaps we could apply a similar clause like we have with Zak Rudden as an insurance policy.
This sums it up perfectly. Sadly

Would be a great move for him with the opportunity to do well and put himself in the shop window as I just don't think Gerrard fancies him at all.

If we were offered £2m we would bite their hand off. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any serious offers so looks like another loan deal.

Back