Greg Docherty

He tries hard and wants to work his way into the team which is admirable but realistically he’s never going to get into the first team so best thing for him would be to move on.

Was welcome addition at the time but we've stengthened so much since then. Time for him to move on and carve out his career.

Phil Parkinson still pushing hard for him. I honestly would prefer him to stay at the club. I’ve always been a fan. Understand he wants to play but he’s great backup for the latter part of the season
it is a real shame that it never worked out for him,he seems like a true fan who loves the club.

Gutted it hasn't worked out for him but he just isn't good enough so he isn't excellent backup.

I am sure he will have a good career but like McCrorie he doesn't have the technique or passing ability to play in a Gerrad team.

Just doesnt fit in to Gerrards plans at the moment, maybe worth loaning or selling with a buy back/sell-on fee as part of the deal.

Good luck to him whatever happens.

Every single person on this board should be able to relate to the picture of him arriving at Auchenhowie to sign for the team we all love.

It didn't work out for him but I hope we will wish him well wherever he goes.

For all that he's apparently a very likeable young man. I don't think he has the talent to play for this Ranger's team at the moment.
I also can't see our team regressing for him to fit in, we will only keep getting better.

Given the new strategy for transfers, I'm confident that if he does leave on a permanent deal then we will have sell on / buy back clauses included.

Previous regimes would have probably given him away for a £200k. (See waghorn as example)

I’d like to think Gerrard has spoken with the lad and told him it’s not going to happen.

He didn’t even make the bench against Stranraer when three quarters of the team was made up of kids and fringe players. That was about as obvious as it could be that he’s not rated.

sorry that it hasn’t worked for him with us but hope that he goes on to have a great career wherever that may be.

He clearly has the drive to play for us but am just not sure he has the skill level to match. Would be a shame to see him go but might be best for his development

He could transform if given a decent run of games, who knows. Look what happened with Barisic. He’s unfortunate that we have a very, very good midfield at the moment.

what kind of annoys me is we took this kid from Hamilton.

And chucked him right in at the deep end.

A great example of this below.

Foderingham; Tavernier, John, Dorrans (Holt, 71), Halliday (Windass, 40), Morelos, Candeias (Alves, 52), Murphy, Martin, McCrorie, Docherty.

Week in week out we asked the kid to play with guys not trying, guys unfit, guys out of position.

Its little wonder he didn't impress much.

But he is better than is being posted on here, much better.
Box to box energy a lot of teams will want that.

It doesn't work in our 4-3-3 set up which is a shame.

I agree its time for him to move on and I hope he has a cracking career.

Currently he has got no chance of getting into our midfield but I don't think we should be getting rid of him yet. Loan him out again to higher league than previously and see how he gets on.

It's obvious that Gerrard feels he lacks the technique required to play in our midfield. He's probably the fittest player in the squad and he certainly doesn't lack desire.
Such a shame that his dream has turned sour.
When you look at guys like Doc and then at guys like Barrie McKay it infuriates me.
One would give everything he has to play for Rangers but lacks the talent and the other.......

Seemingly some team offered a player swap with Charlton for Lyle Taylor. I wonder if it was us and we offered Docherty?

Will be sorry to see him go, but happy to see Sunderland getting more staunch with him and lafferty.

Had a soft spot for sunderland since the super kev days but recently there has been way too many filth connections.

I still feel Doc would be good back up in the narrow attacking right role.

He’s got to be better than Barker.

Born a few years too early experiencing duff managers, coaches and first team players. The young players coming through now have a great opportunity.

He's a local boy to us & naturally we are disappointed it doesn't look like his future is at Rangers, I don't know him but a mate of mine his son is friendly with him & says Doc doesn't want another loan deal ? Looks like he wants a clean break

I can't really remember him doing anything of note?

He's not getting in ahead of Jack, Davis, Kamara, Arfield or even Aribo of playing in the middle. I'd really like him to do well but at his age he needs games.

Will be interesting to see how he does at Sunderland for the 2nd half of the season.

Wanted the boy to succeed cos he was a Scottish Rangers fan, but doesn't look like he'll kick on. Best of luck to him wherever he goes, but certainly doesn't look like SG rates him if he's fit and not part of it against Stranraer.

As time goes on it shows he's nowhere near the gaffers plans, unfortunate as I think there's a talent there. But possibly best to send him out on loan up here to do some damage.

I still feel Doc would be good back up in the narrow attacking right role.

He’s got to be better than Barker.

Who knows but ultimately we need better than both. McPake or Kennedy should be used for backup.

We shouldn't have, going forward, people who we know will never be good enough.

We either play the first choice players from a pool of 18 or so (who will all be capable like Arfield or Jones types if they're in the first XI) or we look at the youth beyond that.

I think Doc made a mistake in the summer. He could have gone out on loan to a Chanpionship club in England and proved himself at that level. For me, he came back too early to try and make it with our first team. He wasnt ready. Theres a massive gulf between League 1 and where we're at. I understand why he did it but it looks like being the wrong call.

It’s sad for him it hasn’t worked out. I think we have better options to choose for currently. I think he will do good wherever he ends up.

He's got a good engine on him but I'm not really sure what his best poisiton is. He's been here long enough to show the manager what he can do. Just don't see him getting game time ahead of our other midfielders. Wouldn't have a problem us selling him for a fee and would wish him all the best.

I’m not seeing enough of a footballing brain or a good enough range of passing for a midfielder. Fitness is not debatable but that’s nowhere near enough attributes for us.

Phil Parkinson still pushing hard for him. I honestly would prefer him to stay at the club. I’ve always been a fan. Understand he wants to play but he’s great backup for the latter part of the season
I was expecting big things from him but unfortunately that turned out to be a bit of a pipedream

Back