Greg Docherty

I think Greg's attributes would be better suited to playing on the right hand side of midfield - he has power pace and athleticism.

Dont think he's technically good enough or has the intelligence for a central midfield role with the way Gerrard likes us to play.

Think we all wanted it to work out but looks likely he will be one we are looking to ship out

I put him in the same category as many of our fringe players who don’t get a sniff.

If they can’t be trusted to fill in, for example at home to the likes of St Mirren, Ross County, Accies etc then what’s the point?

What I simply don't get with respect to a player like Docherty, is that before writing him off as not being good enough, (Jones is in the same boat), why won't Gerrard give him playing minutes against some of the weaker teams, and in cup competitions. I don't mean bringing him on in the 87th minute, but a full half to show whether or not he's up to the task.

If Docherty can be 'player of the year' at Shrewsbury, playing against teams - many of which are of a higher standard than those in the SPL- then surely, he should at least be given a fair shot to establish himself at Rangers before writing him off.

He was given a chance in the East Fife game and he was very poor he never took his chance and was taken off after 60 minutes. Granted most of the team weren't great that day but its games like that Docherty has to standout in. He's a good player but just not good enough for us he isn't better than any of the options we currently have and it's the area we need to make better with more quality.

Last edited:
Based on he hadn’t had a chance. Yet goes to hibs and in a shite side can score, assist and be MOM. He needs a chance .

He scored 1 goal and had 1 assist in 6 league games when he was there. Overall he has 7 goals in 107 SPL matches.

His other goals were in the cup against BSC Glasgow and Inverness. 3 assists against BSC Glasgow sadly doesn't make him good enough for our midfield.

Reactions: KL2
Docherty gives us more of a box to box midfielder than Jack and Kamara and more threat with his shooting.

However, Jack and Kamara are much more composed and suit the way our midfield is meant to play. This is what lets Docherty down which is his passing ability where as this is what lets Jack and Kamara down with their shooting ability.

If the boy wasn't a Rangers fan he would have been away by now, we need to see this without the blue tinted glasses on.

He isn't good enough to play for us and the fact it looks like he'll be away on a 3rd loan spell says all their is to say.

Must be hard getting your dream move to play for your team then slowly realising that you aren’t quite good enough to make it once you get there.

What I simply don't get with respect to a player like Docherty, is that before writing him off as not being good enough, (Jones is in the same boat), why won't Gerrard give him playing minutes against some of the weaker teams, and in cup competitions. I don't mean bringing him on in the 87th minute, but a full half to show whether or not he's up to the task.

If Docherty can be 'player of the year' at Shrewsbury, playing against teams - many of which are of a higher standard than those in the SPL- then surely, he should at least be given a fair shot to establish himself at Rangers before writing him off.

Yes if only there was some daily way of the manager seeing how good a footballer was? Maybe we should just keep going round everyone from the under 18s up giving them a chance on a matchday.

It's competitive football. Best team plays. If you're not in it, work harder in training or go find your level elsewhere.

Under contract till end 21-22, I can't see him rushing for the exit door unless someone comes in with serious money.

He was given a chance in the East Fife game and he was very poor he never took his chance and was taken off after 60 minutes. Granted most of the team weren't great that day but its games like that Docherty has to standout in. He's a good player but just not good enough for us he isn't better than any of the options we currently have and it's the area we need to make better with more quality.

Let me get it clear: you're claiming that in a game against East Fife, in which most of the Rangers regular starters '...weren't that great...', that because Docherty, in one of his rare starts, didn't single-handedly drag the team out of the mire, that this provided clear evidence that he isn't good enough? With respect, this is utterly nonsensical.

Let me get it clear: you're claiming that in a game against East Fife, in which most of the Rangers regular starters '...weren't that great...', that because Docherty, in one of his rare starts, didn't single-handedly drag the team out of the mire, that this provided clear evidence that he isn't good enough? With respect, this is utterly nonsensical.

Tbf mate, and I say this as someone who actually likes him as a player, it's not as if that East Fife game is his only Rangers outing. Plus he trains everyday. He probably just isn't as good as our other midfielders.

Tbf mate, and I say this as someone who actually likes him as a player, it's not as if that East Fife game is his only Rangers outing. Plus he trains everyday. He probably just isn't as good as our other midfielders.
I think he's played in 11 games, mainly in a struggling side, not really fair to judge him on that.

I think he's played in 11 games, mainly in a struggling side, not really fair to judge him on that.

We can't just give him games to see if he is good enough mate. There's a fascination about "giving folk a chance" as if a matchday is the only time they play football. We had it with Polster as well.

He has played elsewhere as well. We obviously don't rate him better than the current incumbents of the jersey and it's hard to argue with that when u see who is in midfield.

My point was based on you saying he needs minutes in cup games to give him a chance he was given that chance and was hooked after 60 minutes. He didn't play another minute after that game either so that is telling in itself.

Goals against Inverness and BSC Glasgow sadly don't convince me he is good enough to play for Rangers. He is a good player for another SPFL club he just isn't good enough for us.

We need better options in midfield than the current starting 3 if we have any chance of winning this league. Weakest area of our team IMO.

Docherty was thrust into a shit show, but looked every inch a Hamilton player when he played. Good luck to him but we need much better.

We can't just give him games to see if he is good enough mate. There's a fascination about "giving folk a chance" as if a matchday is the only time they play football. We had it with Polster as well.

He has played elsewhere as well. We obviously don't rate him better than the current incumbents of the jersey and it's hard to argue with that when u see who is in midfield.
I think he's a direct replacement for Arfield, whether Arfield is good enough for a starting slot is another question

Fleck did well at Coventry at the same level, and now look where he is.
Fleck is an intelligent footballer with an ability to read a game that along with his range of passing makes him a Premier League level midfielder. I dearly want Docherty to do well at Ibrox but he isn't on the same planet as Fleck in terms of natural talent.

I think he's a direct replacement for Arfield, whether Arfield is good enough for a starting slot is another question

He could be but he isn't as good as Arfield....and I don't think we win a title with Arfield as one of the 3.

Plus if we play Hagi central them there's only two spaces behind him and Docherty ain't getting near one of them.

As I said above, I really.like him as a player by we've uplevelled hugely from when he came in and he hasn't quite come on that journey with us.

I get your point re. Docherty, and it may well be that at he end of the day he will be judged not to have be good enough. But it is also true that Rangers have a shockingly poor track record of developing and bringing along young players. In all honesty, if you were a young footballer with lots of teams begging you to sign with them, would you conclude that your future progress would be best jjj served by signing for Rangers? I think not. The yahoos actually, seem to do a much better job of this.

We sign players like Docherty and Hastie - presumably for the future, plus we have a well funded and equipped academy, yet virtually no one in the pipeline makes it through to become a regular starter in the first XI. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Barry Ferguson and Hutton. Could it be that the problem lies in the inadequate coaching our young players are receiving? I think it very likely.

It’s maybe time we gave him a chance. Davis will probably not be playing every week now and Jack is going to miss games with injuries fairly regularly

Docherty is a very good player but sadly doesn't suit our style of play, he's a ball carrier much like sissoko at spurs for example. He's not a ball player and unfortunately our whole style of play revolves around ball retention

Based on he hadn’t had a chance. Yet goes to hibs and in a shite side can score, assist and be MOM. He needs a chance .

Every other Hibs player apart from Docherty is routinely derided as shite on here. Yet we are supposed to see a decent 6 months at Hibs and a similar spell at Shrewsbury as evidence to contradict all the time he's spent actually at Rangers unable to get a game?

Docherty went to a shit hibs team and was chipping in with an assist or goal pretty much most games.. give him at chance IMO.

Gerrard doesn't rate him. It's really that simple. For a guy who played in pretty much the same position, it's a damning indictment of how little he rates him when you consider some of the shite we had to put up with for the last two seasons.

I do think it's probably a tad unfair on him, but that's what happens when your signing policy is to sign young Scottish guys from other Scottish clubs. And not just any Scottish club in this case - one that's always flirting with relegation. What did we really think we were going to find?

He's just another player who is just not at the level we require. If he was Portuguese nobody would care and the general attitude would be get rid of him, he's another one of Pedro's duds.

Murty signed him, just saying.

Gerrard doesn't rate him. It's really that simple. For a guy who played in pretty much the same position, it's a damning indictment of how little he rates him when you consider some of the shite we had to put up with for the last two seasons.

I do think it's probably a tad unfair on him, but that's what happens when your signing policy is to sign young Scottish guys from other Scottish clubs. And not just any Scottish club in this case - one that's always flirting with relegation. What did we really think we were going to find?

gerrard rated Ojo need we go on?

gerrard rated Ojo need we go on?

Oh God, no. You'll not find anyone on here more scathing of some of his transfers and managerial decisions than me. But that's ultimately what this boils down to, whether we think Doc should be given a chance or not.

Reactions: TPP
Oh God, no. You'll not find anyone on here more scathing of some of his transfers and managerial decisions than me. But that's ultimately what this boils down to, whether we think Doc should be given a chance or not.
I trust SG and his backroom team, however, I honestly think he should have been given a better chance to impress. Let’s be honest, at times there were plenty of imposters in our team last season, SG made a few mistakes with his loyalty to certain players.

He’s a good athletic and hardworking midfielder but I think he lacks that quality range of passing which is needed for they style of football Gerrard is aiming for.

He’s a good athletic and hardworking midfielder but I think he lacks that quality range of passing which is needed for they style of football Gerrard is aiming for.

I can think of more than a few games after the winter break when I watched more than a few Rangers starters sleep-walk through games, when '...a good athletic and hardworking midfielder...' would have come in handy.

Back