Greg Docherty

Chucked in with a bunch of chancers when he arrived
A kid expected to just hit the ground running
Murty being a knob

If sentiment had a place the kid would st a chance
But we need better as starters and while he is good maybe just not good enough
Certainly not as part of a 3 man midfield

In saying all that given the shit we saw from Jack Davis Kamara at time last year he might be a decent squad player

He's decent, but... any three of Jack, Davis, Kamara, Aribo and Arfield means that Doc, or anyone else, need to push any of those 5 onto the bench with backup status to strengthen us. Can Doc do that? Not IMHO.

What is the general consensus on him? Will he be here next season or not, notice he’s been involved in few of the promotions etc, can’t imagine a player being in promotional videos with no future
Like we have never discussed doc on here before

I feel sorry for Docherty.

In my opinion he just hasn’t been given a chance after going down south and doing well.

There’s posters on here who are regularly calling for McCrorie to be given a chance at Rangers, the same guy who has struggled at Portsmouth and has therefore been shoved out to right back.

Docherty will move on and he’ll carve out a good career for himself. I’m not saying he’ll reach the heights of the player I’m about to mention - but see John Fleck as an example.
He done well at Shrewsbury Town in league one, and thats possibly his level.

Greg has as much chance of been a regular in the first team as myself.

Bottom line is he is not of a standard we need to win the league

Neither was Sadiq

tenor.gif

Think it’s also partly because he’s a nice lad and one of us, people always have a bit of extra eagerness to see a player do well when that’s the case.
No doubting that but he only started to even getting mentioned when that football radar account was going on about him. Same account was also claiming Jason Naismith was the best RB in the SPFL...

People where constantly posting his radars and saying how good he was etc he was a poor player in a very poor football team

No harm to the boy buts he’s brutal

No doubting that but he only started to even getting mentioned when that football radar account was going on about him. Same account was also claiming Jason Naismith was the best RB in the SPFL...

People where constantly posting his radars and saying how good he was etc he was a poor player in a very poor football team

No harm to the boy buts he’s brutal

He’s quite a way off being at the required standard on the ball that’s for sure.

Definitely not the standard required & thats the long & short of it, in the last Edinburgh derby on the evidence i saw, that game passed him by and it told me he would never be good enough for us.

A bit of John mcginn about him who was ridiculed as being shite on here till he moved south ala he's now arguably villas best player.

Given the right platform I think he will thrive not sure it will be with us

I’d like to see him start as a battler and then sub him for Davis or similar, especially away games. Let Doc do the hustle and bustle and break down their strategy of bullying our centre mid, then play our football. We need to press high up at the beginning and put the opponent on the back foot. None of them play football, so passing at the back is weak and exploitable, but Davis isn’t doing that for 60mns, where as Doc can.

What I simply don't get with respect to a player like Docherty, is that before writing him off as not being good enough, (Jones is in the same boat), why won't Gerrard give him playing minutes against some of the weaker teams, and in cup competitions. I don't mean bringing him on in the 87th minute, but a full half to show whether or not he's up to the task.

If Docherty can be 'player of the year' at Shrewsbury, playing against teams - many of which are of a higher standard than those in the SPL- then surely, he should at least be given a fair shot to establish himself at Rangers before writing him off.

Doherty, McCrory, Barker, Jones, Kamberi, etc aren't winning us a title.

Further highlights the need to improve the squad not just the first team.

Other than our usual 13 or 14 players that regularly play I don't rate any of our squad players I will exclude the youth players from that.

Further highlights the need to improve the squad not just the first team.

Other than our usual 13 or 14 players that regularly play I don't rate any of our squad players I will exclude the youth players from that.
We need to improve the starting 11 then the boys that don’t get in our best 11 drop to bench. It’s a year for quality not quantity

I like Docherty I think when given a run of games and he's settled he comes into his game, you don't get that at Rangers though. He's also a bit too untidy as a CM for a Club like ours. If he was used as a RM/RW cover I think that would suit him. His stamina would be a benefit for tracking helping Tav and he's has previous experience at Shrews there. In my eyes though we don't want to settle for cover players we need competitive players who excel in their role.

But right now, I'd try to sell to a Championship team if any were interested then get add ons and % fee added in.

Reactions: TQ3
Good lad by all accounts which is great .
However , our main starting 11-15 couldnt win a thing so we need to offload asap.
The 6 that went recently is the first cull.
Now its barker, docherty, stewart, mcrorie and murphy and jones.
None of the above should be in the first team, and coming off a bench will change very little.

Neither will Davis and Defoe.

Both looked done as starters last season and neither had any impact as a sub.

Remember the clamour for him at the time.

Folk were comparing him to Ian Ferguson before he joined. Then he joins and turns out to be no where near the level required to take the club forward.

A bit of John mcginn about him who was ridiculed as being shite on here till he moved south ala he's now arguably villas best player.

Mcginn was slated by some on here because hes a mentally challenged and some can't bring themselves to admit he was a great player and him going down south was benefit to us

He was brilliant at Shrewsbury and did really well at Hibs. I'm really surprised that a championship club in England aren't coming in for him for a decent fee. Think he'd do well in that league.

Not good enough ultimately. His technique is well below the standard required and, at 23, isn’t going to improve.

Should be sold.

He will run all day for you but I don't think Rangers will be his place to play football longer term.
Yeah I'd agree with that - a shame really, he seems a good young kid who l
wants to make the most of his opportunities (unlike some who have go e before him)

Let's be completely honest here. Greg Docherty isn't a patch on any of our midfielders. That's not skating the lad, it's the honest truth.

Let's be completely honest here. Greg Docherty isn't a patch on any of our midfielders. That's not skating the lad, it's the honest truth.
Pity as he’s a real bluenose, but it’s fairly obvious he’s not going to make it with us. He hasn’t shone in any of the games he had for us (accepting opportunities were limited) and IMO he did a bit better at Hibs but was nothing special there either.

I don’t remember that. I remember people saying he’s a pape and we’ll never get him. But from memory most were happy to acknowledge he was a good player.

Certainly a few levels above Doc.

Definitely want him to get another chance but it looks pretty clear the manager has a lot of reservations. Another loan beckons I think.

Had huge hopes for him but sadly it looks as though he has no future with us, not even as a squad filler.

Had huge hopes for him but sadly it looks as though he has no future with us, not even as a squad filler.

But what do you base that conclusion on? Docherty hasn't had a proper chance to prove whether he has or hasn't got what it takes to succeed at Rangers.

Take Borna, for eg. everyone - including myself - was delighted when we signed him from Osijek. Yet his first few months at Ibrox were anything but a rip roaring success. In fact, there was a huge clamour on this forum to dump him - despite the fact that he was Croatia's starting left full back. Fortunately, we persisted with him and he eventually came good, and is now probably one of Rangers few salable assets on the transfer market. The point is, before writing people off you have to give them a proper chance. There was enough evidence at Shrewsbury and during his brief stint at Hibs, to suggest that Docherty is worth persisting with.

But what do you base that conclusion on? Docherty hasn't had a proper chance to prove whether he has or hasn't got what it takes to succeed at Rangers.

Take Borna, for eg. everyone - including myself - was delighted when we signed him from Osijek. Yet his first few months at Ibrox were anything but a rip roaring success. In fact, there was a huge clamour on this forum to dump him - despite the fact that he was Croatia's starting left full back. Fortunately, we persisted with him and he eventually came good, and is now probably one of Rangers few salable assets on the transfer market. The point is, before writing people off you have to give them a proper chance. There was enough evidence at Shrewsbury and during his brief stint at Hibs, to suggest that Docherty is worth persisting with.

I havent commented on his form in my post or stated an opinion of his play.Merely basing it on that he is not getting a game for us, is getting sent out on loan again and does not appear to be in Gerrard's plans in the long term. Its plain to see he has no future, rightly or wrongly, with us under Gerrard.

Everyone keeps mentioning Docherty’s athleticism, I wonder if it had ever crossed the managers mind to try to convert him into a fullback.

I like Greg, come across a a decent guy and one of those you will to to do well.

Look at some of the dross Gerrard put on the park last season. If Docherty can’t get a game but some of them can then I think that speaks volumes. He’s clearly not rated, and to be honest, whenever he has had a go, hes not really looked anywhere near good enough.

Would love it to work out for him but I just can't see it unfortunately. Great lad and great attitude who can always say he was a rangers player. Lucky bastard

Think he's a great wee player,not afraid to get in about it,good fitness levels and a good midfield player. Think he should be knocking on the managers door and asking if he's part of his plans, If not then the young man should look elsewhere rather than stagnate his career.

No point keep sending him out on loan,he's either good enough or not, not to bothered if he goes back to the HIVS as he makes them stronger and makes them weaker when we play them.

He was a standout for Hamilton and the reason we signed him, similar to Hastie, he was a really good player at Motherwell,signed him and then loaned him out and now loaned out again, what's the actual point in signing them if they aren't getting a chance.

Back