Greg Stewart deal close. Hastie and Souttar could follow

Stewart will have many on here eating their words when he becomes a stunning play maker for us.He is being wasted being used as a winger, he was never a winger in a million years. His role with us will be as the main mid field play maker.

I felt Stewart was worth a punt in 2016 as his record at Dundee was pretty good, 32 goals and 27 assists in 84 games. He's now 3 years older and over the period since he left Dundee he's played in 91 matches, scoring 13 goals and making 14 assists, albeit all but 6 of his 22 Birmingham appearances were from the bench.
Admittedly I haven't seen him play much this season, therefore have only really got stats from this interwebthingymabob to draw conclusions from, which suggests he's only played on the wing in 4 of his 31 appearances this season. I will concede that stat websites are not always the most reliable sources of information :D
Although I'm not convinced that Stewart really improves our squad, I'd be more than happy for him to prove me wrong if he joins Rangers.
As many have said, it's still April and far too early to panic. I believe we'll see a couple of quality signings join during the summer.

Where did I mention specific positions?
Talking about squad players here and the fact we already have an abundance of them in the squad.

Heres my take.

Jones will be backup to Kent.

Hastie will be a replacement for Dorrans, Rossiter, Docherty and will go out on loan.

Stewart will replace Candeias as a squad player and we'll sign a right winger straight into the first team

I don’t know if he will become stunning but he will make the vast majority on here look like fools. He has shown with Killie what he can do when played in the correct position.

He is very good on the ball and can unlock a defence with a pass. Something we lack. I for one am pleased with the signing.
If only his managers at bigger clubs could work that out. They really need to consult Clarke & Hartley on how to utilise him.

What a wasted career playing in the wrong positions.

I don’t know if he will become stunning but he will make the vast majority on here look like fools. He has shown with Killie what he can do when played in the correct position.

He is very good on the ball and can unlock a defence with a pass. Something we lack. I for one am pleased with the signing.

I think the manager sees a lot of himself in Stewart and I think that's the role he will play.

Heres my take.

Jones will be backup to Kent.

Hastie will be a replacement for Dorrans, Rossiter, Docherty and will go out on loan.

Stewart will replace Candeias as a squad player and we'll sign a right winger straight into the first team

Hastie is nothing like those 3 players. I do think you're right though in the sense that if we do sign Hastie, that we'll loan him back out until January at least.

And why is that exactly? What exactly have our squad players done this season? I would bet my left bollock that Stewart, Hastie or Jones would have done more this season than Grezda or Candeias.
You would bet your bollocks on hypotheticals?

Hastie is nothing like those 3 players. I do think you're right though in the sense that if we do sign Hastie, that we'll loan him back out until January at least.

Yeah I get that. I'm more meaning that 3 squad players coming off the wage bill replaced by Hastie

Interesting couple of comments from the manager today, in this mornings press conference. It indicated that the first eleven as it were is not to his satisfaction; obviously Gerrard has in mind that he is wanting to sign players who will clearly raise the bar in terms of quality.

If only his managers at bigger clubs could work that out. They really need to consult Clarke & Hartley on how to utilise him.

What a wasted career playing in the wrong positions.

Clarke played him in the correct position, hence the return in goals and assists. When did Hartley manage him?

Not sure about your take mate, Hastie doesn't play the same position as any of those players.

Correct.

What I mean is Hastie will replace these players as another poster said that we are just growing the squad and not improving quality.

My suggestion is there will be a large turnover of players that people have forgotten about

How the %^*& is it mental. Give the guy a fucking chance.

He'll be a good squad player if hes played in his correct position, which is through the middle.
You don’t see the folly in giving a guy who is incredibly inconsistent, has done nothing and being passed about club’s for many years a long deal.
Oh well each to their own.

By saying I’m excited for the summer? :D

Last summer we got 15 signings & Gerrard

January we got Kamara, Jones, Defoe & Davis

I should be more of a miserable bastard & fit in

%^*& the summer it’s going to be terrible, Stewart is shite etc etc etc
You know exactly what you are doing when posting it lets not kid on now mate :D

Cheers. No chance of getting him from Hearts at this time.

I've no idea if we are interested or if we'd be willing to match Hearts valuation. If we are interested there would be no point in low balling as, unlike Walker and Lafferty, Hearts have an asset whose value is likely to increase if he progresses more next season. I would imagine if Rangers offered the purported £2M, and the lad made it clear he wanted to be at Ibrox, a deal could be done.
Fortunately the transfer window "slams shut" in little over 4 months and all will be clear :))

Soutter with the correct coaching is a type of cb we need. We need a ball playing cb and to get one from abroad would cost us double what Soutter is worth. I'd rather we have 4 cbs who have different skills for certain teams rather than 4 defenders who all do the same job

Stewart will have many on here eating their words when he becomes a stunning play maker for us.He is being wasted being used as a winger, he was never a winger in a million years. His role with us will be as the main mid field play maker.

Mate cmon stop talking sense and get the pitchfork out.

Mate cmon stop talking sense and get the pitchfork out.

Seriously mate, but @swany reckons he's been played as a winger and you appear to agree, but I can't find any real evidence of that, apart from 4 debatable line-ups.
I'd love to believe that he could be our "stunning play maker" but neither you or swany appear to have anything to back up your argument.
I've admitted already that I haven't seen a great deal of Greg Stewart, but not many teams, including his current owning club, seem to rate him.
I'm happy to be educated :))

Got to remember we can't afford to to buy two quality number 10 I'm mor than happy to have Stewart as a back up as long a quality number 10 is signed. If our main one gets injured we need a similar player to cover in those games so hopo fans can look at it that way instead of thinking Stewart gonna be our main att mid for the season

Soutter with the correct coaching is a type of cb we need. We need a ball playing cb and to get one from abroad would cost us double what Soutter is worth. I'd rather we have 4 cbs who have different skills for certain teams rather than 4 defenders who all do the same job

We got Katič, slightly younger than Souttar, for €1.5m. He's comfortable on the ball, probably not as strong in terms of distributon/use of the ball as Souttar, but he's every bit as mobile, aware and he's stronger, more aggressive and commanding.

We aren't getting Souttar for £2m or less, they will want similar fees to what Aberdeen want for that lump at the back.

At that price or above, I would rather look elsewhere.

We got Katič, slightly younger than Souttar, for €1.5m. He's comfortable on the ball, probably not as strong in terms of distributon/use of the ball as Souttar, but he's every bit as mobile, aware and he's stronger, more aggressive and commanding.

We aren't getting Souttar for £2m or less, they will want similar fees to what Aberdeen want for that lump at the back.

Totally agree. Any transfer fee Hearts want for Souttar would be better used as a signing on fee for a decent Bosman.

Katic should have been a first pick all season the forced introduction of Worrall stifled the big mans development and confidence imo and we could have been looking at more assured and better Katic going into next season, my big worry is that he gets left behind and playing second fiddle to Goldson and another defender after the summer which for me would be a shame as Katic for me is decent and has lots of potential.

I would have rather we focus on Katic than waste £2 million on Souttar.

Clarke played him in the correct position, hence the return in goals and assists. When did Hartley manage him?
Mate, he has played the both RW & the 10 role for Aberdeen, and he has played both RW & the a free role for Killie.

Its quickly becoming a myth that McInnes just played him out of position, he may of the first time but obviously seen how he done at Killie and learned from it. Why would he be playing him out of position, does he not understand as soon as he goes to number 10 he becomes a "wonderful playmaker"?

Killie have their 3 midfield anchors & Stewart would either play RW, or have a free role coming off the right. I don't believe he ever actually played in the midfield 3 as a number 10, he just doesn't have the work rate or desire for that.

Last edited:

I agree I think he would be a good addition though but no chance I want us paying over then odds for him though

Not going toget my knickers in a twist for 2 reasons 1) It may not be true & 2) even if it is they are squad signings that we need as quite a few players will be moved on this summer. We are definitely going to make 3/4 big signings this summer.

Your ignorance isn't really a barometer when it comes to the quality of player we've brought in before the window even opens.
If you seriously think this trio are gonna help us topple them ...you are deluded . We need proper quality in , we are crying out for it for gods sake !

Back