Greg Stewart deal close. Hastie and Souttar could follow

Stewart will be a 15 minutes a game player.

I would have bit your hand off for his 9 goals this season right enough. Those 9 goals could have found us another 6 to 9 points potentially....

He wouldn't have scored a single one of his 9 goals if he played for Rangers though. Go back and watch the highlights of his Kilmarnock games, all counter attacks with lots of space.

Let's be brutally honest. If we do sign these players then we still won't compete with the filth. Apart from our goalkeeper and centre forward all their players are better and they have strength in depth compared to us. A sad state of affairs as they are not very good as their performances in Europe this season showed. Sadly Scottish football is a very poor standard.

You’re right, we should just forfeit next season now.

Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that They themselves will have a huge rebuild job on their hands this summer? That ‘depth’ you speak of will be a whole lot shallower in a month or so.

IF hE PLANS to BRInG iN a TOP cLasS playEr in ThEIr thEN wHAt's THe POiNT iN sIgnIng STewARt?

Mocking-Spongebob.jpg
I fail to see the problem with this?

I can’t see Souttar being an easy deal to make.

Sounds like renewal time to me, throw out some names so the fans know we’re planning to do business.

Given the ' (un) justifiable grief in signing KL, one wonders what sort of ditches and styles there would be in trying to sign a 22 yo Scottish Internationalist who is on the 'up' ?

I know it’s very early days yet but the summer signings we’ve been linked with so far are completely uninspiring.

Are these 3 any better than what we have already? Hastie might be one for the future but so far he’s only got less than a season under his belt for Motherwell.

Perhaps we are looking at Bosman signings from around Europe at the minute but so far it either looks like we don’t have a lot of money to spend or another complete squad overhaul with 10-15 players coming in.

sQuAd PlAyErS
Our squad is far too big right now with players that really win you nothing. If they come I wish them well but I’m allowed to be dubious that they have either the ability or quality to cope with the pressures of winning at rangers. Which is exactly the type of player we have throughout our squad.

Based on Kilmarnock performances, Stewart through the middle would offer more as a back-up than Lafferty has this season.

Souttar is better with the ball at his feet than any of our centre halves, that would be invaluable for a team that at times has struggled to break down the opposition.

Hastie would be one for the future.

Just reiterating what most are saying but I don't see us mounting a serious challenge next year with these types of signings. We talk about needing 3-4 players of genuine quality and are bringing in Jones and possibly making moves for these players. Doesn't look like SG is going to be given the funds we fans want him to have to be able to bring in decent quality

Mate it's April, granted if we don't get quality at the end of August I'd be very worried

That's the most ridiculous argument I've heard yet. Counter attacking isn't even his strong point

And yet he's barely managed a goal in any decent side who are expected to win in the last 3 seasons. Most of the goals he scored this season for Kilmarnock all happened to be the type of attacks and chances Rangers players rarely get. That's just a fact.

He's a bog standard player, who has struggled whenever he moves up a level.

And yet he's barely managed a goal in any decent side who are expected to win in the last 3 seasons. Most of the goals he scored this season for Kilmarnock all happened to be the type of attacks and chances Rangers players rarely get. That's just a fact.

He's a bog standard player, who has struggled whenever he moves up a level.
He's a bog standard player that when played in the right position has out performed any of our midfielders.

I can’t see Souttar being an easy deal to make.

Sounds like renewal time to me, throw out some names so the fans know we’re planning to do business.
I think the names mentioned are highly unlikely to make supporters rush to renew.
Therefore, I won’t be accuse the board of deceit.

He's a bog standard player that when played in the right position has out performed any of our midfielders.

I can only assume you have not looked into his performances. Every single one of his goals and assists this season came as a striker. Usually in a front two with Brophy, but also as a lone striker, like against us. He would be miles down the pecking order in that position. He is not a midfielder, he rarely plays as a midfielder and the idea he is a 10 or ever would be a 10, which seems to be a recurring theme when he's suggested, is nonsense.

Haven’t seen enough of Hastie to comment meaningfully but neither Stewart or Jones seem to be more than very average players. Was hoping that rather than sign players like them, we would begin to introduce some of our young players into our first team squad and give them game time. Not convinced that we give our younger guys sufficient incentive.

I can only assume you have not looked into his performances. Every single one of his goals and assists this season came as a striker. Usually in a front two with Brophy, but also as a lone striker, like against us. He would be miles down the pecking order in that position. He is not a midfielder, he rarely plays as a midfielder and the idea he is a 10 or ever would be a 10, which seems to be a recurring theme when he's suggested, is nonsense.
Fair enough then I was under the impression he played behind Brophy which to me would suit his qualities of hitting a dig, taking a man on or playing passes in. I wouldn't sign him as backup for any position other than behind the striker.

Just reiterating what most are saying but I don't see us mounting a serious challenge next year with these types of signings. We talk about needing 3-4 players of genuine quality and are bringing in Jones and possibly making moves for these players. Doesn't look like SG is going to be given the funds we fans want him to have to be able to bring in decent quality
Don’t you talk pish

There is nothing to be underwhelmed about regarding Hastie.
Nothing to be overwhelmed about either, of course.
He’s one for the future.

I get that mate. We just seem to be stacking up a few similar players at similar stages of development. I’m not sure how we can give them all sufficient game time. Perhaps we’d bring him in and then send out on loan or something.

Hastie and Souttar I like, Stewart is pish though.
You like Hastie, a guy who’s being playing for 5 minutes in footballing career terms
I really do fear for our slim title chances if we keep buying up the bog standard players from the lower reaches of the SPFL.
It really does make King’s bluster statement about being almost the dominant force seem all the more ridiculous.

I get that mate. We just seem to be stacking up a few similar players at similar stages of development. I’m not sure how we can give them all sufficient game time. Perhaps we’d bring him in and then send out on loan or something.
We're losing a few this season as well.

How underwhelming

Won’t be winning 55 with that calibre of player.

I keep seeing folk saying squad players but there comes a point we have to add starters to the first 11 that are of quality.

Jones, Souttar, Stewart, Hastie. Come on.

In Walter’s final season he could have filled the squad with average but he gambled and spent most of his budget on Jelavic and brought in Weiss and Bartley on loan.

So far every player we’ve signed or on the verge of signing will be bench players at best. Total waste of money

You know fine well that these signings are to improve the overall quality of the squad, and that we’ll spend decent money on three or four quality players in the summer so stop acting like a greeting face wee lassie.
So these players are of a better quality than the many squad players we already have, seriously?

How underwhelming

Won’t be winning 55 with that calibre of player.

I keep seeing folk saying squad players but there comes a point we have to add starters to the first 11 that are of quality.

Jones, Souttar, Stewart, Hastie. Come on.

Exactly, no better than the abundance of squad players we already have.

FF well known to be a cesspit of footballing opinion at times but this thread has really managed to outdo itself with the idiocy of a good number of posts. Bravo.

A good number of people seeming to wilfully ignore its a newspaper report, in April - with 5 games to play - and ignoring these rumoured signings would likely contribute in one way or another so they can get really wound up and shout about it. Also conveniently ignoring again the difference between squad and first team buy and the mentally challengeds have a massive rebuild as factors that will affect the outcome.

People rightly fawning over Ajax earlier but turning there nose up at talented youngsters like Hastie or Souttar? When a good percentage won’t watch them regularly either. Defies logic.

I'm sorry but I still maintain Hastie still looks like a potato.

Some folk are honestly that bent out of shape I am not sure they would recognise themselves in the mirror.

Greg Stewart is most likely going to end up scoring double figures this season.

Picking that up on a free transfer IN FUCKIN APRIL doesn't constitute a bad deal.

Double figures out on loan to Dundee in the Championship maybe.
If he signs I hope you’re right but I’m hoping he goes elsewhere.

I would take Hastie over Candeias, Souttar over McAuley, Stewart over Lafferty and Jones over Grezda (current Grezda) all day long.
Hey you can take them all you want but it’s extremely dubious as to how much better they actually are.
Quite an embarrassment you put Gareth McAuley as a comparison but in a way it shows the money we’re wasting on guys nowhere near the first team.

FF well known to be a cesspit of footballing opinion at times but this thread has really managed to outdo itself with the idiocy of a good number of posts. Bravo.

A good number of people seeming to wilfully ignore its a newspaper report, in April - with 5 games to play - and ignoring these rumoured signings would likely contribute in one way or another so they can get really wound up and shout about it. Also conveniently ignoring again the difference between squad and first team buy and the mentally challengeds have a massive rebuild as factors that will affect the outcome.

People rightly fawning over Ajax earlier but turning there nose up at talented youngsters like Hastie or Souttar? When a good percentage won’t watch them regularly either. Defies logic.

I think some fans are rightly worried about the quality of “potential” signings rumoured to be happening.

Yes it’s very early days but the signings of Jones, Hastie, Stewart etc don’t exactly scream we have a vast amount of money to spend this summer. These are players no better than what we have already at the club.

As for the Ajax analogy they scout out gems from all over Europe not from Kilmarnock and Motherwell in one of the worst leagues in Europe.

We weren’t even close to winning anything this season against an average filth side it’s us that have a bigger rebuilding job on our hands not them.

Early days no need to panic.

Players may leave permanently and others will leave on loan.

Worral and McAuley leaving in defence.

We need 2 centre halfs- souttar may be one.

Grezda could leave on loan or maybe Middleton, so hastie could be the replacement.

Davis may not return and we know coulibaly is clearly away. We also need back up in the front third, if anyone else leaves like those two above and so there is stewart.

These guys might be squad players maybe not- we’ll see. What I would say is they are either hot prospects or one of the best players in the league outwith the best two sides.

It’s mass hysteria. We need bodies in to cope across all competitions and we haven’t got a crazy billionaire bankrolling us.

There will be squad signings

There will be first team signings (hopefully big ones)

People need to not get caught up with the ones that fall into the first category

Though doom & gloom is an attraction on here the three mentioned will bulk the squad

A lot will leave this summer & these guys will replace

Perspective is required
Logical thinking don't work in these parts mate.

I sincerely hope these targets are a bluff to deceive our enemies into thinking we will be going backwards this summer.

Genuinely hope this is the case, if it’s not then next season is not going to go well.

Happy days. Season tickets bumped up and a squad being "improved" with Aberdeen and Killie players. :([/QUOTE
Many of our greatest players have come from
just about every club in Scotland (Celtic included) what’s you’re point Ready ?

Can people stop talking about being underwhelmed as if it’s the f**king end of August and we’ve signed no-one with any sort of quality? IT IS ONLY APRIL.

I’d imagine there’s a good few moving on in the summer (including current squad players). Hastie, Souttar and Stewart will add quality to the overall squad and I’m sure there will be a high standard of player being purchased for the 11 in the crucial positions. Genuinely concerning if people are panicking at this stage already and we’re ONLY just under two months away from the start of the window.

So for attacking mids we are going to have Candeias, Kent (if we get him back on loan), Jones, Stewart, Docherty, Hastie, Middleton, Grezda, Dorrans and Murphy. Add in Arfield if he is kept in the more advanced role he has been playing.

If we keep the same formation with the narrow front 3 then these 10 players are going to be trying to fit into the 2 positions supporting the striker (assuming our midfield is Jack/McCrorie, Kamara and Arfield).

And really none of them apart from possibly Kent are what I would say are good enough to win the league.

That seems a bit much and none of those players we are signing are as good as any of our existing squad.

And what about the many talented attacking mids we have in our youth team like Kennedy, Dapo, Kelly or NYC. That just puts them even further down the list at the expense of some painfully average footballers.

People keep saying we need squad players. We really don't. We already have a huge squad as shown above.

I would argue the Hastie is no better than Middleton and if Middleton was in this Motherwell team he would have had just as much of an impact.

Stewart is a pointless signing and will add nothing.

Souttar I can see the point of as we will only have Goldson and Katic so he will be a good backup (but 2m for a backup CH from our league seems to be slightly on the side of too much) as long as we sign another really good CH (Cooper or someone similar).

We really only need 4/5 top quality signings, which will in turn push 4/5 starters into squad players which grows the squad with better players.

Good call.
Strengthen our opponents, against our opponents whilst weakening them against us.
We've been wanting this for years.

The best way to respond to speculation of this kind is to ask the simple question '...if they were signed would their presence in the Rangers squad genuinely help close the gap with the yahoos?..." Next season is crucial, we cannot have a repeat of last summer when a large number of new players were brought in but only a few proved up to par.

Really frustrating reading some posts on this site at times, people moaning about the quality of signings.
To me at this moment in time our management team know who we are releasing from the squad and are looking for players who will fill those spaces but offer a bit more playing wise and hopefully more in future value as well.
Im fairly positive Gerrard has already stated that he hopes to make 3-4 quality signings who will go straight into our first team ( unless that was a dream i had )
We are on the correct path and im really positive about our future now, get us over the next few years and hopefully in that time we will have our own players coming through who will sadly be sold on at some point to bring in more money for the club.
I really can see us being a force to reckon with again, its all about investing in our youth and management teams.
The good times are coming again :))

Back