Greg Stewart deal close. Hastie and Souttar could follow

Greg Stewart- Will be a very good squad player. Anyone saying otherwise just needs to look at how often he's tore our defence a new arsehole this season. Will give us some much needed creativity

Jake Hastie- Exactly the type of signing we should be making. Young, Scottish and talented with a real eye for goal.

John Souttar- An absolute no brainer. 22 year old ball playing centre half with loads of SPL experience. If he was Croatian then the majority on this page would be creaming themselves

We signed Alan Mclaren from hearts,he captained us to nine in a row,we signed Ian Ferguson from St Mirren,one of our greatest and most successful players,Neil McCann scored 2 and was outstanding in one of our greatest ever games,and yeah we have signed some amount of dross from other Scottish sides,but we have also signed some quality,this is a dream move for a lot of these lads,pretty sure they’ll be trying their hardest to make it succeed.WATP

Stewart to me is not a bad player,he is playing in a Sheep team full of hammer throwers, just maybe he needs to play in a team that wants to play football and just not stifle teams, hit them on the break and depend on dead ball chances?

You know fine well that these signings are to improve the overall quality of the squad, and that we’ll spend decent money on three or four quality players in the summer so stop acting like a greeting face wee lassie.

Ah, I see you have your head in the sand on yet another matter regarding Rangers :D

I hope you are right.

Stewart will prove to be a decent acquisition on a free.

Playing in behind the striker in SPL games he will offer us a bit of guile that we have badly lacked this season.

I don’t expect him to be our first pick number 10 as I think we will sign someone else to play there as first pick but Stewart will get his fair share of minutes.

Hallelujah! Candeias is our only recognised right sided midfielder/winger. By signing Stewart or Hastie the squad is improved immediately. The quality will arrive in the summer. Teams are still playing games.

Souttar is more than capable as backup IMO, Hastie is a good prospect and Stewart is a more than capable backup #10.
Souttar has signed a long term deal at Hearts. They won't be giving him to us on a silver platter for 50 pence and a Mars Bar.

Souttar has signed a long term deal at Hearts. They won't be giving him to us on a silver platter for 50 pence and a Mars Bar.
Exactly, if we’re after him, this will be another long drawn out transfer,
While all media outlets will be giving their tuppence worth

It seems to me the likes of Grezda will be shipped on, and to be honest I think Stewart would be far more effective to bring on for half an hour than Grezda has proven to be unfortunately.

Always find the snobs on here a strange bunch who always ignore the undisputed evidence that we’ve had far more failures from foreign markets than we have from signing domestic players.

Literally every successful Rangers side has players signed from other Scottish clubs, look at our last really successful side, Naismith, Whittaker, Thomson and even Broadfoot all played a huge part, FFS even Ricky Foster contributed to a winning Rangers.

Just reiterating what most are saying but I don't see us mounting a serious challenge next year with these types of signings. We talk about needing 3-4 players of genuine quality and are bringing in Jones and possibly making moves for these players. Doesn't look like SG is going to be given the funds we fans want him to have to be able to bring in decent quality

I have a horrible feeling what most supporters think of as ‘quality signings’ might end up differing from the club’s interpretation but, it’s laughably early to be making that kind of proclamation.

In Walter’s final season he could have filled the squad with average but he gambled and spent most of his budget on Jelavic and brought in Weiss and Bartley on loan.

So far every player we’ve signed or on the verge of signing will be bench players at best. Total waste of money

And Andrew Mitchell, Richard foster, salim kerkar, David Healy, el Hadji Diouf.

And over a million on Beattie!

“We’ll not compete with those kind of signings”

Do people not realise the transfer window is still shut and the season is still ongoing were hardly going let the media know who the 3/4 quality players we're interesting in signing at this stage only to alert other clubs to them.

Hastie and Stewart are coming because there on a free and also they've proved to be successful in the league we currently play in we were always going to sign 3/4 players for the squad as well as quality.

Soutar I quite like hearts started really well at the start of the season then him and Berra go injured and they really struggled at the back after that. He's good with the ball he's only 22 and he won't be bullied he's less a risk than signing a unknown centre back from the continent who might need time to settle I see the logic in this one

All depends to me why they’re being bought. If all three were going straight into the first team I’d have the fear. Stewart as a bench option and Hastie as similar and a prospect? Ok. Souttar as a possible starter? Maybe.

Stewart will be a 15 minutes a game player.

I would have bit your hand off for his 9 goals this season right enough. Those 9 goals could have found us another 6 to 9 points potentially....
He won’t get 9 goals next season.

Some folk are honestly that bent out of shape I am not sure they would recognise themselves in the mirror.

Greg Stewart is most likely going to end up scoring double figures this season.

Picking that up on a free transfer IN FUCKIN APRIL doesn't constitute a bad deal.
Lafferty scored about 20 last year. What a shite post.

For those complaining, are you in any way suggesting that we are concluding our transfer business by the end of April; that this is it?
I’m worried that they think Stewart & Jones are good enough to be quite heavily involved for us.

If these signings happen it’ll leave us with 6 wingers.

Murphy
Jones
Middleton

Stewart
Grezda
Candeias

Considering none of them should be our first choice next year (except maybe Murphy, but his age & injury it could be a risk). Then where exactly is the space to sign another 2 quality wingers? Where are they going to fit in?

i will do something different this time. i will judge the players when or if theve actually played for us. no point in saying anything till they play a few games. Ibrox can bring the best and worst out in people so al judge them when they play

FF well known to be a cesspit of footballing opinion at times but this thread has really managed to outdo itself with the idiocy of a good number of posts. Bravo.

A good number of people seeming to wilfully ignore its a newspaper report, in April - with 5 games to play - and ignoring these rumoured signings would likely contribute in one way or another so they can get really wound up and shout about it. Also conveniently ignoring again the difference between squad and first team buy and the mentally challengeds have a massive rebuild as factors that will affect the outcome.

People rightly fawning over Ajax earlier but turning there nose up at talented youngsters like Hastie or Souttar? When a good percentage won’t watch them regularly either. Defies logic.
Defies logic indeed.

Anybody else feel like banging their head off a wall after reading posts on this thread?!

Craig Levein has just came out and said Souttar is the best defender in Scotland so I wouldn't even waste our time as they'll be difficult to deal with and unrealistic.

I’m worried that they think Stewart & Jones are good enough to be quite heavily involved for us.

If these signings happen it’ll leave us with 6 wingers.

Murphy
Jones
Middleton

Stewart
Grezda
Candeias

Considering none of them should be our first choice next year (except maybe Murphy, but his age & injury it could be a risk). Then where exactly is the space to sign another 2 quality wingers? Where are they going to fit in?
They may not all be here next season, and Stewart may not be an out and out winger; the first time I remember seeing him, when we played Dundee just over three years ago, he was playing inside.

They may not all be here next season, and Stewart may not be an out and out winger; the first time I remember seeing him, when we played Dundee just over three years ago, he was playing inside.
If buts & maybes. I’m talking about what is actually happening, not what could happen.

We will have 7 wingers (forgot to include Hastie) with no space for others.

We signed Alan Mclaren from hearts,he captained us to nine in a row,we signed Ian Ferguson from St Mirren,one of our greatest and most successful players,Neil McCann scored 2 and was outstanding in one of our greatest ever games,and yeah we have signed some amount of dross from other Scottish sides,but we have also signed some quality,this is a dream move for a lot of these lads,pretty sure they’ll be trying their hardest to make it succeed.WATP

I'll just put down Nacho Novo here, 450k and one of our best signings from a diddy club in the SPL

If buts & maybes. I’m talking about what is actually happening, not what could happen.

We will have 7 wingers (forgot to include Hastie) with no space for others.
Exactly my point to you in the other thread, you are in danger of being premature about what is happening. The manager has said there won't be an overhaul, and from that I read that he is generally happy with many parts of the squad, but I can speculate, and it is purely speculative I know, that there will be certain players who clearly won"t be here next season. We will also lose players we've loaned.

Hopefully you mean shite posts and not us being linked with average SPL players

Being ‘linked’ with someone means f*ck all. We could be ‘linked’ with Messi - that might shut up all the moaners. Where’s ‘Crespo’ Cully when you need him LOL? It’s April.

We are becoming a bit like Manchester United.

For Ed Woodward see Mark Allen/Stewart Robertson. A squad full of dross, questionable signings, off the pace in competitions, a list of recent managers who haven't been good enough.

Jones, Stewart, Souttar, Hastie... they add to an ever increasing, bloated squad: Rossiter, Polster, Grezda, Barisic, Lafferty, Jack, Flanagan, Halliday, Candeias, Firth, Dorrans, Alnwick, Holt etc.

We are told there won't be big changes the summer yet 4 potential signings could be coming from the Scottish Premiership. Add in the quality we require and that's at least 8 (people saying we don't need 4 quality first team players are kidding themselves).

Greg Stewart was linked with us under Mark Warburton. He's now 29 and had failed spells at Birmingham and Aberdeen x 2. Souttar isn't better than Goldson or Katič, nor is he better than Worral but he's not ours. An expensive, average CB who's on par with the boy Hendry the bheggars signed, yet will cost more.

Its heading for another overhaul in the summer at this rate.

Reactions: MSF
These just look like cheap bosman signings for me to prop up the squad. We already have a massive squad though so clearly, we are going to be looking to move quite a lot of bodies on. It can be easier said than done though when guys are on contracts.

Looks like we are beefing up the squad with a few cheap (but proven SPFL) bosmans which will leave more in the tank to go and source 3/4 quality signings. If it gets to July/August and this is still the level of our signings then that would be the time to worry, not in April when we still have 5 games to play.

We are becoming a bit like Manchester United.

For Ed Woodward see Mark Allen/Stewart Robertson. A squad full of dross, questionable signings, off the pace in competitions, a list of recent managers who haven't been good enough.

Jones, Stewart, Souttar, Hastie... they add to an ever increasing, bloated squad: Rossiter, Polster, Grezda, Barisic, Lafferty, Jack, Flanagan, Halliday, Candeias, Firth, Dorrans, Alnwick, Holt etc.

We are told there won't be big changes the summer yet 4 potential signings could be coming from the Scottish Premiership. Add in the quality we require and that's at least 8 (people saying we don't need 4 quality first team players are kidding themselves).

Greg Stewart was linked with us under Mark Warburton. He's now 29 and had failed spells at Birmingham and Aberdeen x 2. Souttar isn't better than Goldson or Katič, nor is he better than Worral but he's not ours. An expensive, average CB who's on par with the boy Hendry the bheggars signed, yet will cost more.

Its heading for another overhaul in the summer at this rate.

You really are a big beacon of positivity aren't you? :D

Whats really wrong with his post though, bar being a little harsh on Souttar?

I think folk peddling the “awk the quality will come this is just squad players” are in danger of firing their heads a bit too deep in the sand. If that is true, they’re suggesting we will sign higher quality wingers eventually. With Jones, Hastie & Stewart that will be 3, we’re trying with Kent so that would be 4 & then we need a quality RW, that takes us to 5?

In a summer where the manager has said there won’t be an overhaul and we’re going for quality. Posters think we’re going to sign FIVE wingers?

Utterly mental.

No problem with any of the players as they strengthen the squad. All will add something different to what we have just now.

With regards to Stewart, he may find, just like at Killie that there’s a role that suits his style. It’s free he’ll be on a low wage so it’s a no brainer, it doesn’t work out then flog him for £500k in the winter window

I think folk peddling the “awk the quality will come this is just squad players” are in danger of firing their heads a bit too deep in the sand. If that is true, they’re suggesting we will sign higher quality wingers eventually. With Jones, Hastie & Stewart that will be 3, we’re trying with Kent so that would be 4 & then we need a quality RW, that takes us to 5?

In a summer where the manager has said there won’t be an overhaul and we’re going for quality. Posters think we’re going to sign FIVE wingers?

Utterly mental.
Nope, not doing that at all. The manager said he wants to add quality, you are saying, this early on as well, that this precludes the signing of these three type of players. We lose players, as a matter of fact, for the coming season. Why are you not encouraged that we are active and thinking about the next campaign this early on? You appear utterly dismissive that Jones, Hastie, Stewart, and Souttar could ever play for Rangers? They would already be better than players we have here already potentially.

Stewart doesn't set the heather alight but Kilmarnock proved that if he's played correctly (as a 10) he is a good option. This close season has to be about giving ourselves another 2/3 options from the bench to compliment 3/4 quality starters to the 11.

I know it’s very early days yet but the summer signings we’ve been linked with so far are completely uninspiring.

Are these 3 any better than what we have already? Hastie might be one for the future but so far he’s only got less than a season under his belt for Motherwell.

Perhaps we are looking at Bosman signings around Europe at the minute but so far it either looks like we don’t have a lot of money to spend or another complete squad overhaul with 10-15 players coming in.
Most likely seeing as the window has not opened yet, maybe once it opens we could spend money ?

Just a thought, however outrageous that may sound :rolleyes:

We need to sign the types of players who turn a nil nil at Easter Road into a 1 nil, the types who turn out 1nil Christmas into a 2 or 3 nil. However we also need a number of players to cover those who leave.

If signing players who are already experienced in the SPL means we can then sign three 3 mil players who push our first team squad up a level then it’s categorically the right thing to do.

We have a small squad and it's always a long season. Games, injuries & suspensions soon pile up.

Stewart, Hastie and Souttar give us depth to hopefully rest our bigger/better players in lesser ties like early cup rounds etc. A lot of our players were burnt out by Christmas with the schedule we had.

There's no doubt there will be some marquee signings on top of these squad guys.

Utterly mental.

I think we need to wait until July/August at least before getting our knickers in a twist. The people who take every word a manager speaks in public as gospel are the mental ones. Gerrard has said countless things off the top of my head in public then we went and done the exact opposite.

Maybe we will be moving the likes of Candeias and Grezda on? Sending Middleton out on loan? Maybe Gerrard actually sees Stewart as a striker (where he was excellent for Kilmarnock)? Maybe we will sign Hastie then ship him out on loan straight away for a season to continue his development?

It's not about sticking heads in the sand it's about being logical about things and using common sense. Our squad is already huge and we've secured a few bosmans already, so quite clearly we are going to be moving on a lot of players the manager deems surplus to requirements. He likes 2 players for every position, he's been clear on that since arriving at the club.

This thread reads like the Kamara is signing thread... and so many others over the years. I bet the Rod Wallace thread was “Who?...” it’s almost like people employed to work for our club are just there for a laugh.

I want a successful Rangers team, to be the best we possibly can be and I don't see it the way we are heading.

You can't just say that the quality will appear. People sit and slate the likes of a Tavernier for a lack of quality and wining mentality, yet continue to kid themselves that a 29 year old Scottish journeyman will be completely different. I don't care where a player comes from, it comes down to quality for me. We've signed some players from Scotland who have been fantastic signings, we've also signed some absolute junk. The difference with the likes of a Whittaker, Naismith, Novo, Thomson, Ian Ferguson, John Broen et al, is that they possessed that quality. Even Kirk Broadfoot was a solid, reliable signing. Ricky Foster played alongside McGregor in his pomp, Papac (our best LB since Numan), Bougherra, Naismith, 2010 Steven Davis, Jelavic, Weiss... he was a squad player who racked up 24 appearances in all competitions. 2nd time around he was utter junk. Our signings from Scotland in recent years haven't.

It's not just the Scottish based players, it's the likes of Grezda, Barisic, Coulibaly...

I've renewed my ST and I will be the first supporter inside Ibrox to hold my hand up and admit I was wrong if I am. I hope Allen and Gerrard shut me up and I certainly won't be shy in giving them praise should they do so.

No problem with any of the players as they strengthen the squad. All will add something different to what we have just now.

With regards to Stewart, he may find, just like at Killie that there’s a role that suits his style. It’s free he’ll be on a low wage so it’s a no brainer, it doesn’t work out then flog him for £500k in the winter window

People who say if it doesn't work 6 months down the line then sell for a profit clearly don't understand how transfers work.

If Stewart flops at Rangers we are stuck with him as no team in Scotland can afford £500k nor the wages we pay. He flopped in England as well. So yet again, we've a player contributing bugger all, on a long term contract picking up a wage for sitting in the stands (should he fail).

It all adds up, season after season.

Back