Greg Stewart deal close. Hastie and Souttar could follow

If we don't improve we have no chance of the league. The scum were poor this year and we have still struggled.

These players may keep us second, they will not improve us.

Three players in is likely half of the newcomers. Not happy. Plus Jones who is not as good as Kent.

Try telling Ross McCrorie that. Ibrox is the ultimate test, and it's up to players to win the fans over. Try also telling Morelos that.

Morelos is a different kettle of fish,he left Colombia at a young age and is a current international - he’s young but not comparable to a youth product with less than 50 games under his belt.

On McRorie, you’ve answered your own question. He was hammered on here at points last year and even this season, and Gerrard’s dropped him for long periods to protect the young guy. Some of the stick I’ve heard him get at Ibrox is disgusting.

Morelos is a different kettle of fish,he left Colombia at a young age and is a current international - he’s young but not comparable to a youth product with less than 50 games under his belt.

On McRorie, you’ve answered your own question. He was hammered on here at points last year and even this season, and Gerrard’s dropped him for long periods to protect the young guy. Some of the stick I’ve heard him get at Ibrox is disgusting.
That's not why dropped him, he dropped him because of his distribution. Ibrox is a great place for a young player and had what happened not happened we would have had a crop of young players that would have come through; I'd expect Greg Wylde will remember that night against PSV many years ago for many a year, the support that night was second to none. Our young players will be the envy of most, and most of our fans, as in the vast majority, will give any player the backing if he gives his all.

Really think we missed a trick with halkett rated him any time I've seen him a real centre half . Could have got him for zip . Souttar another who has impressed me great potential good footballer . These two with Katic and Goldson would have given us good options in the central defence. All for the price of £5 mill

We released Halkett as a boy. Frustrating.

Stewart: Looked good at Killie hopefully recovery that form for us.

Hastie: A young prospect.

Souttar: We have been interested in him before he moved to Hearts for first team football. Knows the league and is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Tbh i think Hearts will want to much.

Here we go again. Another Hearts transfer saga. Please look elsewhere Rangers.
One private phone call to Budge - establish what their bottom line is and pay it. Or not.

That's it. No weeks of stupid lowball offers and Hearts stringing us along before punting him to England for much the same as we offered.

If we can get him for the right price then great. If we can't, move on.

I like souttar my only worry would be the fee 2-3m and hearts have been notoriously difficult for us to deal with recently.

Hastie has great potential and for low ish wages and no fee is a no brainer.

Stewart I am not convinced about at all.

One private phone call to Budge - establish what their bottom line is and pay it. Or not.

That's it. No weeks of stupid lowball offers and Hearts stringing us along before punting him to England for much the same as we offered.

This .

I’d go in offer £2 million if they say no we move on .

Very good young Scottish centre half . Hope we get him but don’t dick around . The Lafferty transfer was a farce .

The Art of War - Sun Tzu
The Art of Negotation - Jaws2

Really hope im wrong but think Stewart and Souttar will be fuckin pish signings.

We need to be uncovering diamonds in the rough (a tall order yes) given we have no considerable funds to buy top end talent.

These middle of the road signings is what will consign us to being mediocre at best.

Souttar is better than Liam Lyndsay who many on here want to sign. I'd pay the £2million. No more

Stewart will be a back up No 10 and might make the difference in games like St Johnson and Dundee where we dropped points. Souttar would be one of two CBs we will need. I am not a big fan of his but to be one out of 4 ok. I am hoping the quality signings will be seen before then. It's very early days yet .

Really hope im wrong but think Stewart and Souttar will be fuckin pish signings.

We need to be uncovering diamonds in the rough (a tall order yes) given we have no considerable funds to buy top end talent.

These middle of the road signings is what will consign us to being mediocre at best.

I actually think Souttar would be a good signing, he has improved under CL and playing with Berra has made a big difference.

Stewart make sense, he would be a squad player and can play across the front 3 but also in a more narrow 3 which I can see us playing more often than not!

Stewart will be a back up No 10 and might make the difference in games like St Johnson and Dundee where we dropped points. Souttar would be one of two CBs we will need. I am not a big fan of his but to be one out of 4 ok. I am hoping the quality signings will be seen before then. It's very early days yet .
Problem is its not a back up number 10 we should be targeting, its a first 11 one we need.

Problem is its not a back up number 10 we should be targeting, its a first 11 one we need.

I have no idea if the management see Stewart as a back-up No 10 or not but, if they do, your argument doesn’t hold up. We don’t have a No. 10 right now so if Stewart is the back-up then, by default, we must be signing another No 10 as a starter.;)

I have no idea if the management see Stewart as a back-up No 10 or not but, if they do, your argument doesn’t hold up. We don’t have a No. 10 right now so if Stewart is the back-up then, by default, we must be signing another No 10 as a starter.;)
Unless they think Arfield is good enough to be our number 10?

I don’t think they see him as a number 10 anyway, it was the poster that said that.

He doesn’t have the work rate to play there for us, or the ability to make his lack of work rate acceptable.

With regards to John Souttar, it’s ‘apparently’ well known (up to you to decide how true this is) that initial discussions have taken place between Hearts & Rangers

An initial ‘feeling out’ if you like

Whether it will go much further is unknown at this point

Most likely the club will be linked with a 100 names this summer, we’ve certainly had plenty thrown at us & it’s only April!

Agents use the club name all the time so best to treat it for what it is

I’m extremely excited about the summer ahead, we shouldn’t underestimate the ‘Gerrard’ factor

Strong finish to the season, regroup then a strong recruitment

Keep em coming ID!

Let's see who we end up with but In terms of these three Stewart makes no sense as we could have taken him in Jan so I think this is paper talk, souttar deal will prove too difficult and I feel there is better value elsewhere (Katic for me is better), and in terms of hastie this is the most likely of the three and makes absolute sense (young Scottish talent we can develop but not an immediate starter)

Last edited:
Gerrard intends to spend his summer budget on a couple of Rolls Royce Players, but needs a few numbers to make up for those leaving. I fully expect that to be a CB, a creative AMF and a CF, the latter depending on what money is on offer for Morelos and whether he goes.

“The only thing I will say is we will try to add more quality which will make our 11 stronger which will naturally make the squad stronger.
“There won’t be wholesale changes like there was last season.
“We felt that was needed at the time.
“We don’t think we are as far away as certain people think we are or maybe the gap in terms of points.
We don’t think we are that far away but it is quite clear that we do need to add more quality to make us improve and grow.”

Iirc we stopped at £3m for Millwall's Cooper last summer
Yet we may now be considering that fee for Souttar
I'll be first to admit I haven't seen either of them regularly or even all that often - & I realise each of them are different ages - but I do know who I'd prefer for that money

With regards to John Souttar, it’s ‘apparently’ well known (up to you to decide how true this is) that initial discussions have taken place between Hearts & Rangers

An initial ‘feeling out’ if you like

Whether it will go much further is unknown at this point

Most likely the club will be linked with a 100 names this summer, we’ve certainly had plenty thrown at us & it’s only April!

Agents use the club name all the time so best to treat it for what it is

I’m extremely excited about the summer ahead, we shouldn’t underestimate the ‘Gerrard’ factor

Strong finish to the season, regroup then a strong recruitment
Mate no offence to you, A poster i respect and enjoy reading

But you come accross as a mouthpiece for the club when you say this Every. Single. Window. Literally word for word :D

If we did sign all 3 of these players I think it’s safe to say stewart and Hastie will be squad fillers and souttar would be challenging for one of c.b with katic.
People just need to calm down it’s mid April,even if Stewart doesn’t work out he is such a low risk signing because of his low wages and he’s a free.
I will say with thing though he’s done more than our £2million man grezda this season.
The gaffer has said we need quality and if people really think these 3 are our marquee signings then they know nothing about football.
Have patience

Stewart will have many on here eating their words when he becomes a stunning play maker for us.He is being wasted being used as a winger, he was never a winger in a million years. His role with us will be as the main mid field play maker.

I don’t know if he will become stunning but he will make the vast majority on here look like fools. He has shown with Killie what he can do when played in the correct position.

He is very good on the ball and can unlock a defence with a pass. Something we lack. I for one am pleased with the signing.

Back