Greg Stewart

Bigeye

Greg Stewart has agreed a move to Rangers after being released by Birmingham, Sky Sports News understands.
The 29-year-old forward has been on loan at Aberdeen since January, but was left out of their squad to play Hibernian on Sunday.

He will join Rangers on a free transfer after being told by Birmingham his contract would not be renewed when it expires this summer.

Stewart spent the first half of the season on loan at Kilmarnock and has scored ten goals in 36 matches in total this season.
He was signed by Birmingham from Dundee in 2016 but has struggled to make the grade at St Andrew's, regularly being sent out on loan and failing to score in 22 games for the club.
Rangers have already agreed the signings of Kilmarnock winger Jordan Jones, Motherwell winger Jake Hastie and Southampton midfielder Steven Davis ahead of the new campaign.

He will join Rangers on a free transfer after being told by Birmingham his contract would not be renewed when it expires this summer.

Stewart spent the first half of the season on loan at Kilmarnock and has scored ten goals in 36 matches in total this season.
He was signed by Birmingham from Dundee in 2016 but has struggled to make the grade at St Andrew's, regularly being sent out on loan and failing to score in 22 games for the club.
Rangers have already agreed the signings of Kilmarnock winger Jordan Jones, Motherwell winger Jake Hastie and Southampton midfielder Steven Davis ahead of the new campaign.

Anyone seen him regularly enough to say whether or not he'll be able to contribute? I remember him being pretty good against us at Killie but useless with the sheep and their turgid style of play.

Anyone seen him regularly enough to say whether or not he'll be able to contribute? I remember him being pretty good against us at Killie but useless with the sheep and their turgid style of play.
He’ll do ok if we give him a free role with no responsibility's.

Back in the real world we’re Rangers. Not Dundee or Killie, so that won’t happen.

Happy enough with this , done well at Dundee and killie , just because he didn’t do so well with aberdeen doesn’t make him a bad player

He has ability, can strike a ball and some decent skill but is very slow.

Its hard to know what we will get as he was excellent for Killie but pretty average for the sheep on 2 occasions.

He needs a settled home and gives us an extra attacking threat so i have no complaints on a free even though its not a very exciting signing i think he will do a decent job when required.

Welcome to the club Greg

He has ability, can strike a ball and some decent skill but is very slow.

Its hard to know what we will get as he was excellent for Killie but pretty average for the sheep on 2 occasions.

He needs a settled home and gives us an extra attacking threat so i have no complaints on a free even though its not a very exciting signing i think he will do a decent job when required.

Welcome to the club Greg

Had a look at some youtube videos (I know I know) and he does seem to have a dig on him, which is something we've been missed. I've heard people question his fitness so I'd be concerned about how well he'd do with our pressing.

Had a look at some youtube videos (I know I know) and he does seem to have a dig on him, which is something we've been missed. I've heard people question his fitness so I'd be concerned about how well he'd do with our pressing.
Remember the goal he scored against us at Ibrox ? he has a nice left foot on him.

He is pretty slow which is his main weakness but our fitness team will get him in the best shape they can.

Hmmm.

Not excited, but Gerrard deserves the benefit of the doubt.

He’s looked dreadful twice at the sheep yet looked good at Dundee and Killie.

I can’t understand why we’ve signed this guy he’s not good enough.

Probably will be used at Ibrox when we have 10 men sitting in against us. Against your Hamilton’s, livingstons and st Johnstone’s. He has the ability to pick out passes and can chip in with the goals .

He won’t be used for tougher games such as Killie, Aberdeen or Celtic imo.

Would I prefer to bring on Stewart over Candeias? Too right.

Hardly gets the juices flowing but we certainly need better squad players.

On the right side I'd have Candeias over Stewart.

Yet another couple of cracking balls into the box today that no one gambled on, found himself in acres of space out on the right only for no one to pick him out, took players on, hit the byline winning a couple of corners and rattled a sweet as a nut effort off the bar.

The lad starts with a blank sheet for me.
As for the future, it is his to write.
He has ability, but ability is absolutely nothing without the other bits that make a professional footballer.
If you cannot do it in a blue shirt for a club that you want to play for, then you will simply never do it.
This is your chance son, give it your all.
We are behind you all the way.

He’ll get fitter .

He’s decent playing with his back to goal and in tight situations. The sort of player that will drift in and out of games but can find that wee bit of space and score a goal. Will be useful in the games where teams don’t even try and win and just put 10 men in and around their own box.

Won’t play every week but a definite upgrade on a few of our squad players and has proven he can perform well in this league.

On the right side I'd have Candeias over Stewart.

Yet another couple of cracking balls into the box today that no one gambled on, found himself in acres of space out on the right only for no one to pick him out, took players on, hit the byline winning a couple of corners and rattled a sweet as a nut effort off the bar.

Candeias barely touched the ball today. He had one or two crosses in, but he’s a winger, it’s hardly going over and above.

We can’t start complementing players for hitting the bar either.

Also a few times he tried to find a man and put the ball straight out the park.

He reminds me of a young Gary McAlister.

He didn’t do too badly at Liverpool did he?

A few on here sure to be eating their words over the next few years. Make yourself a legend Greg.

Candeias barely touched the ball today. He had one or two crosses in, but he’s a winger, it’s hardly going over and above.

We can’t start complementing players for hitting the bar either.

Also a few times he tried to find a man and put the ball straight out the park.

He barely touched the ball today as not one of the three central midfielders could pick him out. Goldson found him with long balls.

Stewart isn't a right winger and Hastie hasn't hit the levels Candeias has in his career.

The lad starts with a blank sheet for me.
As for the future, it is his to write.
He has ability, but ability is absolutely nothing without the other bits that make a professional footballer.
If you cannot do it in a blue shirt for a club that you want to play for, then you will simply never do it.
This is your chance son, give it your all.
We are behind you all the way.
You’ll be sitting on a ban for common sense like that.

I like what I’ve seen of him in the past. Certainly willing to give him a chance to prove himself.

He’s decent playing with his back to goal and in tight situations. The sort of player that will drift in and out of games but can find that wee bit of space and score a goal. Will be useful in the games where teams don’t even try and win and just put 10 men in and around their own box.

Exactly why he's been added to the squad. Useful to have against a team that is succeeding in suffocating us and it looks as though we have run out of ideas - the ideal type to throw on.

I’m not sure about him either, but it’s just the usual domestic player snobbery, see also Ryan Jack or Glen Kamara.
These guys are precisely the reason we should wait to see how Stewart settles, fits in and performs before getting our knickers in a twist about him.

As Rangers players they should get our support. Some of our support are often way OTT critical, even on guys who haven’t even played a single game.

Judge once we’ve seen him in a Rangers shirt.

He barely touched the ball today as not one of the three central midfielders could pick him out. Goldson found him with long balls.

Stewart isn't a right winger and Hastie hasn't hit the levels Candeias has in his career.

If we’re going to play the 4-3-2-1 Stewart fits that role better than Candeias does. Candeias is a traditional winger and he looks lost as an inside forward.

As for Hastie, he’s only 19, may go out on loan.

Exactly why he's been added to the squad. Useful to have against a team that is succeeding in suffocating us and it looks as though we have run out of ideas - the ideal type to throw on.

Exactly my thoughts. In their usual, most recent, capitulation to the filth, he was the stand out player for the Sheep.

As @bilkobear says, it’s a new start and he should be given a chance. Plenty on here scoffed at the signings of Jack and Kamara and they’ve proven them wrong, albeit both probably put in their poorest performances for us today.

If we’re going to play the 4-3-2-1 Stewart fits that role better than Candeias does. Candeias is a traditional winger and he looks lost as an inside forward.

Neither Stewart nor Candeias get in our side. If we go 4-3-3, which Gerrard likes, Candeias is a better option than Stewart.

Nobody on here wanted him when he left Dundee in 2016. He’s been average or worse for 2 and a half years since then, and is pushing 30. But now people want him. Odd.

It’ll depend on the early euro games imo. I think SG will pitch Hastie in, the way he did with Middleton. I’ve high hopes for him I must admit. Already looks to have a bit of maturity about him.

Welcome.
He should be here to challenge Arfield in the tactics weve deployed recently.
Thats the position that gave him most success at Killie.

Not got much pace but he has lots of ability on the ball.

And as said above, I would not expect him to start in high intensity such as Tims, Sheep or in Europe.

He’ll be utilised against the shite of the league when we need a killer pass or that wee bit of skill to make a goal.

Pretty sure he’s scored a couple goals against us at Ibrox that were top drawer.

I’d have thought that was obvious given he’s been at Alloa and Motherwell mate and is only 19.

What was DC doing at 19?

hope he proves me wrong. Just feel even for a squad player his stats are poor.

Since leaving Dundee. 82 games played and 12 goals. 61 of those games against the shitty SPFL defenders.

Back