Greg Stewart

He changed position to a deeper role that suited him more. Didn’t develop him as a player.

Development at 29 years old. :D

Why do professionals always refer to their late twenties as the peak of their careers? To suggest GS can’t improve on different aspects of his game due to being the grand old age of 29 is laughable.

Most know he's a squad player who will never amount to much more than a handful of starts in lesser games and apps from the bench.

He is the definition of squad filler. In my view, his wage would be better spent elsewhere as we've enough mediocre players in the squad without adding another drain.

It is what it is.

Jones & Hastie will be squad players and good ones to have as they know the league, can improve and have good sell on value potentially.

Stewart I was against signing, he is 29 and struggled at Aberdeen & cant get a look in at Birmingham. He will have no sell on value and is nowhere near consistent enough IMO. (Hope I am wrong).

These 3 are bosman signings wont be automatic picks but we do need squad players because dead wood will leave.

I reckon the big signings will be the ones who require fee's this is near exact what Allen said last week.

A honest way to judge a player is ti imagine Celtic signing them.

i.e Jones to Celtic, Hastie to Celtic, Stewart to Celtic.

If you think... Nae Danger! Then like me you may feel slightly concerned.

Hope Im wrong.
Mate none of the defenders they've signed the past couple years would get in our first team including boyata.only Tierney would get a game at left back but if barisic becomes the player we thought he was then I couldn't even see Tierney getting a game for us. They had izaguirre, Hayes, hendry, Christie, and mulumbu as part of their team last year and still won the league by 9 points and are on course for a treble treble. We just need to add a few quality additions and our team will be better than theirs. I think the players we've signed would get game time at them. Jones is better than Hayes, hastie looks a better prospect than Mike Johnston, Davis is twice the midfielder brown is. Greg stewart the only 1 I'm struggling with just now he was great at killie playing as a 10 but he's not a winger dunno why Aberdeen play him out there. If he comes and kicks on like he did the start of the season and how he was at Dundee before his move to Birmingham then we have a very decent back up number 10 on our hands and can as a striker if need be aswell.

I suspect part of the issue re Stewart is that he doesn’t have an exotic sounding name, he doesn’t comes from a league “technically superior” to ours and he’s played for two teams we largely struggled against this season.

I’ll be happy to give him time.

He barely touched the ball today as not one of the three central midfielders could pick him out. Goldson found him with long balls.

Stewart isn't a right winger and Hastie hasn't hit the levels Candeias has in his career.
How old is Hastie to have hit any heights? And really what heights has Candeias hit? DC may be a tryer but that's simply not good enough. Hastie has plenty about him already

I suspect part of the issue re Stewart is that he doesn’t have an exotic sounding name, he doesn’t comes from a league “technically superior” to ours and he’s played for two teams we largely struggled against this season.

I’ll be happy to give him time.

All of our successful teams in the last 15 years or so have had Scottish players that are solid if not spectacular. We got to a UEFA Cup final with Kirk fucking Broadfoot. Signing players that perform in the SPFL has been the cornerstone of our success.

How old is Hastie to have hit any heights? And really what heights has Candeias hit? DC may be a tryer but that's simply not good enough. Hastie has plenty about him already

any comparison with Hastie and Candeias is mental and not valid.

JH is 19 and starting out, Candeias is 30+ and likely on his way out the club over the next window or so.

Everybody criticising these signings,could be haunted by one word. KAMARA
It's always the players that get wrote off by the fans before kicking a ball that surprise us the most. I remember when we signed Kamara the usual panic merchants were saying he was hopeless and not rangers class. But the few posters who had actually watched him play knew he was a good player bit don't thi k anyone could of predicted he'd be this good for us.

Reactions: cav
Let's give the lad a chance for %^*& sake. Not even in the door and he is written off and sold by many.

Yes we need to add quality, but we also need to add goal threats from wide positions. Candeias has shown he is incapable in that respect so let's see how he does. His goal record at Killie was decent before moving to Anti-footballing side Aberdeen. Even Messi would look shite under McInness

Why do professionals always refer to their late twenties as the peak of their careers? To suggest GS can’t improve on different aspects of his game due to being the grand old age of 29 is laughable.
We’ll see.

It's always the players that get wrote off by the fans before kicking a ball that surprise us the most. I remember when we signed Kamara the usual panic merchants were saying he was hopeless and not rangers class. But the few posters who had actually watched him play knew he was a good player bit don't thi k anyone could of predicted he'd be this good for us.
The Kamara stuff is more than over exaggerated.

Yes most were unsure but they didn’t write him off. In fact a lot bought in to him after seeing his videos.

Can't really understand signing him or Jones. Can anyone justify not taking him on loan in January when he was in better form and we could have tried before offering a longer contract?

Love how FF gets upset about things like this. We’ve just signed a player for free on low wages who has been one of our main adversaries best players this season. It is for a position where we do need strength in depth and where, if successful, he could replace the incumbent.

Low risk high reward.

It’s also a signing made before the current season is even over. This is not meant to be a marquee signing. It’s just a nice little bit of business that may pay off with negligible risk. What’s not to like?

I think that some are still too traumatised by the day’s when buying a St Johnston winger was a marquee signing. We are past that now.

Won’t be a starter, but he’s an upgrade on our current fringe players....
Just like the others we've brought in,playing with a higher calibre of player may we'll enhance their own game. It remains to be seen,but I think we've acquired some good additions to the squad,not to mention the loanees coming back. All bodes well.

JH is 19 and starting out, Candeias is 30+ and likely on his way out the club over the next window or so.

Have a feeling that Candeias might just have played his last game for us - been a good signing but for the club to be succesful we need a little better quality so would not be shocked if we try to move him on during thr summer (we are getting a little top heavy with wide players, especially with teturn of Murphy and signing of Jones).

Is he really doing a bad job on that front or is he merely trying to sort out the mess he inherited?

It’s more of a mess if we have circa 35 first team players after a year in the job and getting rid of all the chaff.

It will take time to get it organized, no doubt - but it makes no sense to replace the dozen or so guys we sent out on loan/sat in the stands for the past 12 months.

Not sure I'd compare him to McAllister but he is a midfielder who is very good with the ball at his feet, can make the creative pass, but not the quickest. It depends what Gerrard has in mind, but he must want him for a reason.

I think he can be useful when we have teams sitting in at Ibrox.
Around the box his ability to beat a man & shoot can be useful to have in the squad. His goal at Ibrox in the 1.1 draw was quality.

In saying that, not ordinarily a first choice for me mate.

To me they are dramatically different players, with abilities for different situations.
Candeias has been a very committed player for us who lacks consistency in his final ball. For 750k he’s been a good signing imo but isn’t what I’d look for in a first choice player if we want the league next year. But still a useful pool player to me.
Hastie we don’t know too well but seems as if he’ll get more goals & assists than DC.
To me we could find DC in away games v the sheep & tims & Hastie at home when we are dominant in possession & when play is around the opposition box.
Both can help us next year.

Played in the same team as him in my younger days. He is a good lad and a bluenose but sadly I don't think he is good enough for us. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

It’s more of a mess if we have circa 35 first team players after a year in the job and getting rid of all the chaff.

It will take time to get it organized, no doubt - but it makes no sense to replace the dozen or so guys we sent out on loan/sat in the stands for the past 12 months.

My point wasn’t that mate. I was trying to say if we can release around 12 or so we can bring in less players but better quality or ‘first choice’ players to improve the first eleven, but partly financed by these salary savings.

A honest way to judge a player is ti imagine Celtic signing them.

i.e Jones to Celtic, Hastie to Celtic, Stewart to Celtic.

If you think... Nae Danger! Then like me you may feel slightly concerned.

Hope Im wrong.

Celtic are a squad who in recent years have bought players like McKay-Steven, Scott Allen, Ryan Chrisite, Johnny Hayes, Scott Bain, Jack Hendry and Youssef Mulumbu

They are all cheeks of the same arse from which Jones and Stewart are joining us from.

So do I think Celtic would sign players of a similar profile.....aye....because they fucken do.

My point wasn’t that mate. I was trying to say if we can release around 12 or so we can bring in less players but better quality or ‘first choice’ players to improve the first eleven, but partly financed by these salary savings.

Yeah totally agree mate.

Would have been useful to shift the dross and then add 4 or 5 quality players, with the wages saved + Morelos money.

The plan should be -
Out: Alnwick, Firth, Foderingham, Hodson, McAuley, Worrall, Wallace, Coulibaly, Holt, Grezda, Middleton (loan), Dodoo, Herrera, Hardie, Lafferty, Morelos.

In: Reserve keeper, first pick CB, competitive CB, creative CM, promising wide man, goal scoring wide man, first pick ST, promising ST.

A new first pick LB if Barisic goes too and an aim of keeping Kent.

That would still give us a squad of 28 and a little room to loan out a couple more. I don’t understand people saying we’re losing double digit number of players so there’s room for all of these squad signings. 3 average wingers already seems absurd.

Celtic are a squad who in recent years have bought players like McKay-Steven, Scott Allen, Ryan Chrisite, Johnny Hayes, Scott Bain, Jack Hendry and Youssef Mulumbu

They are all cheeks of the same arse from which Jones and Stewart are joining us from.

So do I think Celtic would sign players of a similar profile.....aye....because they fucken do.

And the names above have done very little and aren't good enough - the bheggars ones.

And the names above have done very little and aren't good enough - the bheggars ones.

Well that's a load of pish - Christie has been excellent for them, Hayes is a perfectly competent player who looked their best performed against us.

Congrats for completely missing the point though - no one will dispute the fact that on occasion you kiss a frog - that's part of a transfer policy - the notion Celtic don't buy local though, as was being replied to - is dug shit, they do, in part because they, like us, have to.

Well that's a load of pish - Christie has been excellent for them, Hayes is a perfectly competent player who looked their best performed against us.

Congrats for completely missing the point though - no one will dispute the fact that on occasion you kiss a frog - that's part of a transfer policy - the notion Celtic don't buy local though, as was being replied to - is dug shit, they do, in part because they, like us, have to.

I'm not disputing they buy local but the majority recently have been garbage. GMS, Bain, Hendry, Mulumbu, Allen, Morgan... utter shite. You will eventually get one or two right. Wouldn't say Hayes has been a success and Christie doesn't shine in games that are competitive.

I'm not disputing they buy local but the majority recently have been garbage. GMS, Bain, Hendry, Mulumbu, Allen, Morgan... utter shite. You will eventually get one or two right. Wouldn't say Hayes has been a success and Christie doesn't shine in games that are competitive.

Aye that's right, sometimes locally bought players are pish - the same policy can be applied to any market - we have bought foreign players, loads have been pish, old players, young players - there is no market anywhere that you can't point at examples and say some have been good and some have been shit - that's in part how transfer work.

"doesn't shine in games that are competitive" what the %^*& does that even mean?

Against teams like Motherwell, Livvy and Dundee I assume? Surely to %^*& this season has removed the fucken daft notion that these games aren't competitive?

A: shame he dis shine in said non-competitive games

B: shame we didn't have more players who shined in non competitive games.

By regress of definition you have just bracketed him in with the group who have helped win them the league.

Or do you mean against teams like Hearts in Semi Finals? A non competitive Semi Final?

Every game a team plays is "competitive".

The likes of Hayes have been a success as they are competent cheap players who don't dent a wage bill and can be trusted, thus in part expense on wage can go on others.

You are talking humpty, empty platitudes and buzz words with little actual substance to it.

Last edited:
I must confess mate,I didn't think he'd hit the ground running like he did.Not to say I don't like him as a player or didn't rate him,but thought if he was to step up it would be next season.
I think it might be either Kamara OR Jack beside Davis next season if all are fit and available so the two of them will have to battle it out as I fully expect a Turnbull type player to come in and provide more of a goal threat from the midfield three.

That said,a certain Rossiter and Docherty might well come back and surprise us as well-and I certainly wouldn't be complaining if that's the case either.

I think you have to be very picky to get the best ones these days,the days of getting a John Brown for 300k from our league are long gone unfortunately.

Then you have the other major stumbling block,in that most teams are utter c.unts to deal with these days.I really like the look of Turnbull but Murderwell will be a nightmare to deal with no doubt.

Surely every signing deserves a chance to prove himself?

Hastie is one of the best prospects in the country and is an exciting signing.

He's quick, built like a middleweight boxer and a lovely striker of the ball.

Stewart, when utilised properly at Kilmarnock, was one of the best players in the league and has good vision and probably the sweetest left foot in the country.

Jones, I'll be honest I'd doubts with, as he's always struggled against Tav.
However, I was impressed with him in the recent N.Ireland games and was impressive getting in behind deep lying defences, something he'll come up against plenty playing for us.

Decent delivery too.

I'm not saying these signings have blown me out the water, but they've been for minimum outlay and they'll all certainly get a fair crack of the whip from me before I pass judgement on them.

Remember, it's not as if that's us finished in the market.

We've barely started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah totally agree mate.

Would have been useful to shift the dross and then add 4 or 5 quality players, with the wages saved + Morelos money.

The plan should be -
Out: Alnwick, Firth, Foderingham, Hodson, McAuley, Worrall, Wallace, Coulibaly, Holt, Grezda, Middleton (loan), Dodoo, Herrera, Hardie, Lafferty, Morelos.

In: Reserve keeper, first pick CB, competitive CB, creative CM, promising wide man, goal scoring wide man, first pick ST, promising ST.

A new first pick LB if Barisic goes too and an aim of keeping Kent.

That would still give us a squad of 28 and a little room to loan out a couple more. I don’t understand people saying we’re losing double digit number of players so there’s room for all of these squad signings. 3 average wingers already seems absurd.

Absolutely agree.

The winger point does frustrate me. I’d rather not take Jones or Stewart & spend that on extra quality, albeit Stewart may actually chuck in some goals for us against diddy teams at home.

Also think Borna seems to lack that required edge & hunger. He’s also not great at beating a man, so I’d gladly take 3m for Borna now that he’s in the Croatian squad. Somethings not right there.

The one guy I’d like to keep from your list is Wes, but I get a feeling that he can’t continue to be our number two forever & will want his chance to play every week again.

Folk talking about a 29 year old as if he’s a year from retirement.

Peak FF.

I mean it's not like Davie Weir was captaining the side and winning the league title at 40.

Kenny Miller still doing a job for Dundee at 38/39.

Hell Ronaldo is still tearing it up at 34.

I have seen Greg Stewart with close control skin an entire team who were sitting in against killie. Tiptoe past them all and then square the ball for Jones to put it in. He has talent to spare and he has a beautiful shot on him as has Hastie and we have been sorely missing people who can get goals from outside the box when we are struggling to do anything other than cross.

Inconsistent, yes but he has played at Dundee, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Birmingham and his style doesn't suit any one of those teams. We really should have signed him when he was at Dundee. In the team we had then he would have been a starter. Now I think he can do a job in the right games. Would I play him against Maribor and the tims. No.

I have seen Greg Stewart with close control skin an entire team who were sitting in against killie. Tiptoe past them all and then square the ball for Jones to put it in. He has talent to spare and he has a beautiful shot on him as has Hastie and we have been sorely missing people who can get goals from outside the box when we are struggling to do anything other than cross.

Inconsistent, yes but he has played at Dundee, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Birmingham and his style doesn't suit any one of those teams. We really should have signed him when he was at Dundee. In the team we had then he would have been a starter. Now I think he can do a job in the right games. Would I play him against Maribor and the tims. No.

I really don't understand the mystery that seems to be breaking down teams that sit in. It's happened for years and we just need to be direct. We need players that will get the head down and beat a man. It really shouldn't have become this massive conundrum. As soon as we defend a set piece we should be hitting them with our full backs and our wingers running at them. Getting the ball and passing it in to Kamara to slow the game down is all fine and well in some matches but it's the last thing we need against bottom half sides. A midfield of Halliday, Jack and Kamara like Sunday will never break down a side because they don't have the pace and power to make a run from deep.

Technically he was one of the better players in the SPL this season up until he joined the sheep.

Infact he would have been a shoe in for the POTY shortlist if he had stayed at Killie imo.

Back