Greg Stewart

Surely every signing deserves a chance to prove himself?

Hastie is one of the best prospects in the country and is an exciting signing.

He's quick, built like a middleweight boxer and a lovely striker of the ball.

Stewart, when utilised properly at Kilmarnock, was one of the best players in the league and has good vision and probably the sweetest left foot in the country.

Jones, I'll be honest I'd doubts with, as he's always struggled against Tav.
However, I was impressed with him in the recent N.Ireland games and was impressive getting in behind deep lying defences, something he'll come up against plenty playing for us.

Decent delivery too.

I'm not saying these signings have blown me out the water, but they've been for minimum outlay and they'll all certainly get a fair crack of the whip from me before I pass judgement on them.

Remember, it's not as if that's us finished in the market.

We've barely started.

I think it’s better to write them off before a ball is kicked.

Makes much more sense.

Players can improve with better coaches and better players beside them at any age.
I disagree in the main, but happy to be proved spectaculary wrong.

When you get to that age & have played for around a decade it’ll come down to your mentality, attitude and ego whether you want to learn new things, change your game & listen to young coaches.

I have seen Greg Stewart with close control skin an entire team who were sitting in against killie. Tiptoe past them all and then square the ball for Jones to put it in. He has talent to spare and he has a beautiful shot on him as has Hastie and we have been sorely missing people who can get goals from outside the box when we are struggling to do anything other than cross.

Inconsistent, yes but he has played at Dundee, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Birmingham and his style doesn't suit any one of those teams. We really should have signed him when he was at Dundee. In the team we had then he would have been a starter. Now I think he can do a job in the right games. Would I play him against Maribor and the tims. No.

This is where I am PC. Not over the moon but he will probably contribute if used at the right times.
He does have talent as you say & scored great goals against both us & the sheep, so he probably shouldn’t be written off.

Stewart, when utilised properly at Kilmarnock, was one of the best players in the league and has good vision and probably the sweetest left foot in the country.

However, I was impressed with him in the recent N.Ireland games and was impressive getting in behind deep lying defences, something he'll come up against plenty playing for us.

Decent delivery too.

I'm not saying these signings have blown me out the water, but they've been for minimum outlay and they'll all certainly get a fair crack of the whip from me before I pass judgement on them.

We've barely started.
I hate writing players off before they've even signed mate but I fear the dice are stacked against Stewart.Putting the fairly well known chat about his lack of professionalism at times to the side,I've played with someone who has sciatica and being able to manage it(at a purely amateur level) was more than a little difficult for him.
We ended up sending him to the swimming pool a couple of times a week instead of football training as it was doing him more harm than good.

I get that it's a free transfer,29 is by no means old in this day and age,and that injuries can be overcome and players improved with coaching and first class facilities.
But I'm struggling to think of any players who have improved at that stage of their career for us of late,never mind those with the aforementioned issues Stewart has to contend with.

As always when at the games he'll have my support,and I'd dearly loved to be proven wrong.

I hate writing players off before they've even signed mate but I fear the dice are stacked against Stewart.Putting the fairly well known chat about his lack of professionalism at times to the side,I've played with someone who has sciatica and being able to manage it(at a purely amateur level) was more than a little difficult for him.
We ended up sending him to the swimming pool a couple of times a week instead of football training as it was doing him more harm than good.

I get that it's a free transfer,29 is by no means old in this day and age,and that injuries can be overcome and players improved with coaching and first class facilities.
But I'm struggling to think of any players who have improved at that stage of their career for us of late,never mind those with the aforementioned issues Stewart has to contend with.

As always when at the games he'll have my support,and I'd dearly loved to be proven wrong.

I don’t disagree Cav. My hope is that he’s finally got to Ibrox after supporting us for years & he treats this as his biggest opportunity in his life. And so works like never before.
If he scores say 2 winning goals next season that adds 4 points for us & may just be the difference between 55 and not ?

I think it’s better to write them off before a ball is kicked.

Makes much more sense.

Mate I think you are being harsh here. The FF experts here have spent hours studying GS, his career, stats and attributes. They have also probably spoke to managers, team mates and opponents and found out what he is like around the dressing room and on the park.

Against who? Ufa away? Yeah probably Candeias.

Against Killie at home it has to be Stewart. Can beat a man from a standing start and is more prolific.

Any time Stewart has been asked to step up (Birmingham, Aberdeen), he's really struggled to be prolific.

And that's not going to be anywhere near the pressure he'll face with us.

I have concerns about his mental strength. When he's allowed to play with freedom, there's definitely a player there. Under pressure, I think he struggles badly.

But as I say, all of that is meaningless and I'll wait to see how he does in a Rangers shirt.

Mate I think you are being harsh here. The FF experts here have spent hours studying GS, his career, stats and attributes. They have also probably spoke to managers, team mates and opponents and found out what he is like around the dressing room and on the park.

I will note this and keep it for the future.

Who am I to question them, they’ve got it spot on pretty much every time with our signings.

Why dont people on here just face facts. Our own manager stated on Sunday that Greg Stewart is a player they admire. It IS 100% A DONE DEAL.

Surely to feck if our own manager wants the player then it should be good enough for us all to give him the opportunity.

I cant wait to see him pull our top on. Proud as punch for a fellow Fallin lad

Understand mate. Graeme Dorrans grew up in my part of Glasgow about 5 minutes walk from me, and I was so happy to see it. Unfortunately injuries have kind of killed the dream.

I will note this and keep it for the future.

Who am I to question them, they’ve got it spot on pretty much every time with our signings.

Guaranteed they will be the same ones creaming over Mexer, who none of us had ever heard of, never mind seen him play.

Understand mate. Graeme Dorrans grew up in my part of Glasgow about 5 minutes walk from me, and I was so happy to see it. Unfortunately injuries have kind of killed the dream.

See when you think that we have Dorrans, Murphy and Rossiter on our books all injured, that's a tough one to take. Three really good players all missing. Such a shame.

Guaranteed they will be the same ones creaming over Mexer, who none of us had ever heard of, never mind seen him play.
There’s a sensible argument to be made for Stewart,likening Mexer who was wanted by some of the better top flight teams in France with Stewart who couldn’t get in Birmingham’s squad is not it though.

It’s a bit daft mate,putting it mildly.

There’s a sensible argument to be made for Stewart,likening Mexer who was wanted by some of the better top flight teams in France with Stewart who couldn’t get in Birmingham’s squad is not it though.

It’s a bit daft mate,putting it mildly.

I wasn’t likening Mexer to Stewart. I was likening the posters who are giving GS a hard time before a ball is even kicked, probably being the same posters who were saying Mexer was levels above our current CBs, even though never seeing him play.

Sorry for not making that clear.

Bordeaux are 14th, hardly a top team in France.

if Stewart was some foreign import people would be creaming themselves "can't wait to see him in the blue jersey!"

Stewart is a dyed in the wool Bluenose and will give his bollocks for the cause you can bank that 100%.
Sorry mate if some foreigner who couldnt get a game for Birmingham and was loaned out to sheep for a year, was poor. Then went to killie for 6 months and did ok beofre having another poor 6 months with the sheep i for one still wouldn't be delighted but i trust our management team.

I wasn’t likening Mexer to Stewart. I was likening the posters who are giving GS a hard time before a ball is even kicked, probably being the same posters who were saying Mexer was levels above our current CBs, even though never seeing him play.

they sold a lad to barca last year for 40 odd million euros so they have that

Reactions: cav

He was rumoured to be courted by Marseille and Bordeaux,both traditionally big clubs in France if not necessarily showing it in league form.Teams that financially we probably can’t compete with certainly at least.

And you did compare the players whether you realised it or not.Which was a bit daft in itself if we’re being honest.
Maybe Stewart will be a sensation for us,but I highly doubt it given his issues.

He was rumoured to be courted by Marseille and Bordeaux,both traditionally big clubs in France if not necessarily showing it in league form.Teams that financially we probably can’t compete with certainly at least.

And you did compare the players whether you realised it or not.Which was a bit daft in itself if we’re being honest.
Maybe Stewart will be a sensation for us,but I highly doubt it given his issues.

Where did I compare Stewart to Mexer?
Considering one is an attacking mid and one is a centre back it would be a hard comparison.

I have already apologised if I didnt make it clear that my point was regarding posters. Clearly you have missed that or you’re a bit daft too.

Any time Stewart has been asked to step up (Birmingham, Aberdeen), he's really struggled to be prolific.

And that's not going to be anywhere near the pressure he'll face with us.

I have concerns about his mental strength. When he's allowed to play with freedom, there's definitely a player there. Under pressure, I think he struggles badly.

But as I say, all of that is meaningless and I'll wait to see how he does in a Rangers shirt.

He’s been at the sheep twice, I wonder why McInnes brought him back if he was as bad as folk on here say the 1st time round.

He’s been at the sheep twice, I wonder why McInnes brought him back if he was as bad as folk on here say the 1st time round.

He hasn't come close to his Killie or Dundee form at Aberdeen. There's no debate there.

And he didn't make any impact at Birmingham.

As to why McInnes brought him back - I don't particularly subscribe to the notion that McInnes puts much thought into squad building.

Reactions: cav
Jesus christ hes been brought in not bought. He cost no transfer fee . No one is saying he is going to start every game . If he sits on the bench all season and comes on and scores a couple and turns 1-1 into 2-1 he will have merited his aquosition .Give the guy a chance. I will hopefully he will prove me wrong

Every player deserves his chance and then it is up to them, but for me Stewart and Jones are no better than what we have already. I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see it and I was hoping for much better signings but there is still plenty of time for that.

Every player deserves his chance and then it is up to them, but for me Stewart and Jones are no better than what we have already. I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see it and I was hoping for much better signings but there is still plenty of time for that.

this is same as me ....... its up to the players we are signing to prove to the management and fans they deserve to be here .......... plenty signs from Gerrard that one thing he will not tolerate is lack of effort

Decent delivery too.

We've barely started.
You would think ,wouldn't you .

There is one thing for sure the guy isn't going to get much heartening from reading some of the numpties on this thread.

Nobody is like lafferty.

Linked with a return, the Rangers man and as a result will try that bit harder, were rolled out.

Boyd was a Rangers man and look at his second spell. Didn't try his arse. Doesn't always mean a player is going to knuckle down.

In Stewart's case you would like to think he will get his head down and get in shape whilst giving his all. If he doesn't, Gerrard will bomb him out.

If it’s between Candeias and Stewart for the ‘ right wing’ then GS must be given a chance as DC has been big disappointment this season.

A honest way to judge a player is ti imagine Celtic signing them.

i.e Jones to Celtic, Hastie to Celtic, Stewart to Celtic.

If you think... Nae Danger! Then like me you may feel slightly concerned.

Hope Im wrong.
Mate the transfer window isn't even open yet, if you’re keechin yer pants cos we signed 3 free transfers that improve our squad, by applying your logic, then how the feck did you get through the last 7 years? :D

Linked with a return, the Rangers man and as a result will try that bit harder, were rolled out.

Boyd was a Rangers man and look at his second spell. Didn't try his arse. Doesn't always mean a player is going to knuckle down.

In Stewart's case you would like to think he will get his head down and get in shape whilst giving his all. If he doesn't, Gerrard will bomb him out.
So you agreed with me eventually :))

Celtic are a squad who in recent years have bought players like McKay-Steven, Scott Allen, Ryan Chrisite, Johnny Hayes, Scott Bain, Jack Hendry and Youssef Mulumbu

They are all cheeks of the same arse from which Jones and Stewart are joining us from.

So do I think Celtic would sign players of a similar profile.....aye....because they fucken do.
I was frantically looking for the post you quoted to type in caps. the fuckers signed Hayes!!
But you covered my point, and in much more detail above.
Spot on.

I didn't say he 'must of' been fantastic, anywhere, I just wonder why he signed him again if he didn't do well for him 1st time round.
Probably because he saw him do well at Killie.

Not really a great point though, Derek McInnes making poor signings. Shock horror.

Back