Greizmann's release clause in his Barcelona contract

mkgers

The release clause is set at €800m (£717m) . I know it doesn't really mean anything but the figures in football now are absolutely mental.

Do you think we're far away from players actually going for these kind of sums?

The money in the modern game has turned me away from most football. I only follow Rangers. I find the figures disgusting.

I've heard the "but it's a short career!" argument but 15+ years at the wages they earn dwarfs what we will all earn in a life time of work. Hope it all goes tits up asap.

All Spanish contracts must legally have a release clause in them.

They are just putting it at number that they know (hope) no one is going to pay.

They got burned with the Neymar one, thinking no one would pay that, then along comes the oil money of PSG.

They are not taking any chances, although he may still be used as a pawn to bring Neymar back from PSG.

Do La Liga not HAVE to have release clauses in their contract? Which means it's commonplace for players to have silly amounts as their "release clause". Meaning it's never going to be met.

But aye...."silly money in football", "wasn't like this in my day".....bla bla bla

I guess he isn’t for sale is the message.

What I find truly bizarre though is that the silly money is really only in a few countries. For the first time in football that I can remember (in the last 5-7 years) players are only worth stupid money if you are playing in England or Spain. Before prices rose, but they rose everywhere. Now you pay £50m for a one season wonder in England, but expect to get a seasoned pro for the same position elsewhere for 1/10 of that. In another 10 years top level football will be a closed shop like the NFL is.

Do La Liga not HAVE to have release clauses in their contract? Which means it's commonplace for players to have silly amounts as their "release clause". Meaning it's never going to be met.

But aye...."silly money in football", "wasn't like this in my day".....bla bla bla

The players themselves have to buy out their contracts if they want to move to another club so it isn't in their interest to have it artificially high.

@SkyNewsBreak. Atletico Madrid says they have "started procedures" to ensure they receive the amount they feel is owed to them by Barcelona for Antoine Griezmann after claiming the sum received from the La Liga club for the French striker was "insufficient"

You pay the league not the club to activate a release clause in Spain, so the Senor Doncaster or whoever must’ve rubber stamped the deal.

The money in the modern game has turned me away from most football. I only follow Rangers. I find the figures disgusting.

I've heard the "but it's a short career!" argument but 15+ years at the wages they earn dwarfs what we will all earn in a life time of work. Hope it all goes tits up asap.

Not Greizmann’s fault that some daft bastard is stupid enough to put that in his contract.

We are not near that money yet but if there comes a time when clubs individually negotiate with broadcasting companies and/or introduce pay per view then we could get close.

Everyone used to think Spanish release clauses were nonsense years ago, then psg went and offered 200million for neymar and fucked it

717 million quid might seam a fantasy figure, but so was 200 million 10 years ago.

Figo going to Real when they met his Barca release clause was 15 years earlier and probably an even bigger shock at the time. Think it was about £60m and a world record fee at the time.

I can't even see a team paying that as it would likely surpass any potential profit they could make.

Always really liked him, but just not showing up for pre-season training is so disrespectful and unprofessional I’ve filed him in the “same as all the rest of the Diva wankers” folder now!

Back