Grezda & Barisic

Do people seriously expect players to drop in and out of teams/leagues/life styles and it just to click in an instant? Maybe there are too many on here who still play champy and think “oh yeh I’ll sign someone who isn’t used to the British lifestyle change everything about his life and he will slot in no bother”. Well sorry it doesn’t work like that in 95% of cases. Like Gerrard these players need at least 12 months to be settled. I fear a lot of fans are so engrossed with winning the league they cannot see the long term and every little hump in the road just makes them angrier and angrier without taking stock of the entire situation and realising it was never about this year we needed one year to settle the ship and then turn it into a destroyer of 10 in a row dreams.

I know there’s already a thread on Borna, but do we have to consider cutting our losses with this pair? Can’t see how Grezda will feature given our surplus of wide players i.e Candeias, Middleton, Murphy, Kent(if he stays) & Jones.

Barisic is so bang average. Halliday is a better left back and all round footballer. I think we need to consider the wages they are taking up and see if we can find a willing buyer.

For the life of me, I cannot see what Jones will bring to our team.

To the OP we continue to support both players to get fully fit and integrate them into our club.
The likes of Mcoist,Goram and Hateley were written off early in their Rangers careers.
Every player deserves our support.
Felt for Barisic on Tuesday when he was getting a bit of stick, however he has been a major disappointment and has a battle on his hands to reinstate support/ manager confidence .
Grezda was one baffling signing, the guy had no previous period of good form due to his long term Injury ,therefore who signed him? And on what evidence?

The likes of Goram , McCoist and Hateley as your rightly say, struggled early in their Rangers careers ,however we as a support were well aware of their capabilities.
This time last year Virtually nobody within our support were aware of the capabilities of both Grezda and Barisic.

Sorry but Halliday is not a better footballer. No matter how average Barisic has been.
Nobody is saying he is, is Halliday contributing more? Yes he is.....which is alarming considering how limited he is and also considering he is not a natural left back. Barisic needs to get the finger out and realise he isn't at a 2 bob club anymore.

Nobody is saying he is, is Halliday contributing more? Yes he is.....which is alarming considering how limited he is and also considering he is not a natural left back. Barisic needs to get the finger out and realise he isn't at a 2 bob club anymore.
Aye, i agree with you.

But the OP clearly said that Halliday was the better left back and all round footballer. Which i just dont think is true at all.

Hardly scape goats though.

Both have been bang average at best and a real worry given the financial outlay.

Hope they both come good but I really don’t see it with Grezda at all.
Clearly are scape goats if the guys have hardly played yet get more criticism than anyone else.

Barisic is in interesting one, when playing behind Kent he should be making the overlaps out wide and whipping the ball in as he can certainly cross. The problem is Kent is unpredictable and often goes on a wee mazy inside and rarely makes the pass for Barisic so I don’t think we get the best out of him.

As for Grezda I haven’t seen enough of him.

Barisic is in interesting one, when playing behind Kent he should be making the overlaps out wide and whipping the ball in as he can certainly cross. The problem is Kent is unpredictable and often goes on a wee mazy inside and rarely makes the pass for Barisic so I don’t think we get the best out of him.

As for Grezda I haven’t seen enough of him.

kent was trying to play the ball inside the fullback, almost willing barisic to make the run on tuesday but he just stood there on the touchline motionless most of the 2nd half. He was so bad his own team mates became reluctant to pass to him.

Its a major worry that aberdeen targeted him pretty much for the two games and it worked for them. Right from kick off they were happy to punt the ball as far down our left as possible knowing he was our weak link.

This thread is a bit of a joke!

The 2 players are new to the country, the culture and the style of football.

Would it not be easier supporting them rather than using them a scapegoat?

Give them a chance! Instant success does not happen with our budget - people still think it’s 20 years ago!

Wingers don't work in 4 3 3. You need 3 scorers in the front 3. Not 2 wingers feeding 1 forward. Esp when tjat forward is at his best with his back to goal. How many times Do You see Morelos sweeping in a cut back? Not often.

Exactly. And we don’t have any. Which is why it’s mystifying that we A) Persist with the formation, and B) Keep signing wingers/wide men who don’t score.

Grezda won't play until the management are 100% sure he's fully fit. He's been rushed back in and ended up injured cause of this. It's the best thing to do and then hopefully he'll start showing us what he can do. Anyone who is writing him off need to get a grip. A dunno how anyone can rate a player who's been injured and not fully fit since he joined us. Got to remember too he didn't have a pre season. I look forward to him proving all the doubters wrong

If he is, and I'm not sure he is, then it is negligible at very best.

That guy Grezda is honking i had made mind up on him after his 2nd game. Terrible for an Internationalist.

You know what I moved to Canada 12yrs ago I had 25yrs+ experience in my trade but my first couple of years was an absolute struggle. I had many moments of what have I done. trying to fit into a new Country , culture, working environment, gaining respect of locals who think your a prima donna. For some it could be a breeze for others worse than me. Unless you have done that kind of move you have no phucking clue. Some guys don't even have the balls to chuck their job for another across town

Haven't seen enough of Grezda but we were all calling to sign Barisic after he played against us in Europe. He is a good player but is taking a long time to settle. A good preseason and we will see how he fares next season and if he is cut out for the Scottish game.

If Barisic performs well for Croatia we could probably get 6 or 7million for him from say a German or French side, in a league he would be much more suite to. We should stick with him a while longer.

Grezda needs a run of being fit and pre season to see what we have with him.

You know what I moved to Canada 12yrs ago I had 25yrs+ experience in my trade but my first couple of years was an absolute struggle. I had many moments of what have I done. trying to fit into a new Country , culture, working environment, gaining respect of locals who think your a prima donna. For some it could be a breeze for others worse than me. Unless you have done that kind of move you have no phucking clue. Some guys don't even have the balls to chuck their job for another across town
What was your trade? Let's assume.you were a joiner. I'll bet that despite you needing time to settle in, you never fitted the front doors upside down or put the windows in inside out -right? People could still look at you and see a joiner doing the basics correctly - right???

Every player deserves our support.
Felt for Barisic on Tuesday when he was getting a bit of stick, however he has been a major disappointment and has a battle on his hands to reinstate support/ manager confidence .
Grezda was one baffling signing, the guy had no previous period of good form due to his long term Injury ,therefore who signed him? And on what evidence?

The likes of Goram , McCoist and Hateley as your rightly say, struggled early in their Rangers careers ,however we as a support were well aware of their capabilities.
This time last year Virtually nobody within our support were aware of the capabilities of both Grezda and Barisic.
At the time Goram et al were being called all sorts. Ally.Ally gtf was one chant. Hateley like Grezda was coming back from injury. Goram was making bad mistakes. I have to listen to my best pal every game about Barisic. The Rangers support doesnt do patience.

What was your trade? Let's assume.you were a joiner. I'll bet that despite you needing time to settle in, you never fitted the front doors upside down or put the windows in inside out -right? People could still look at you and see a joiner doing the basics correctly - right???
Are you saying Grezda doesn't even have the Basics?

Why are people overexaggerating how shîte Barisic has been? He's not been as good as we had been expecting, but he's hardly Lee Hodson mk2.

Except nobody is saying he's Maldini.
But If we were playing Celtic tomorrow, I'd take him every day of the week ahead of Barasic.

That's not the point I was making. People have used hyperbole on Barisic, comparing him to some of the worst fullbacks we've had since 2012, using some words that wouldn't look out of place when describing Ricky Foster et al.

So I thought I'd overrate how good Halliday has been. He was rotten away to Hibs, but you wouldn't have known that.

I know there’s already a thread on Borna, but do we have to consider cutting our losses with this pair? Can’t see how Grezda will feature given our surplus of wide players i.e Candeias, Middleton, Murphy, Kent(if he stays) & Jones.

Barisic is so bang average. Halliday is a better left back and all round footballer. I think we need to consider the wages they are taking up and see if we can find a willing buyer.
Cannae agree Halliday is a better footballer....his crossing against the hivs was unbelievably bad....shocking for a professional.

Exactly. And we don’t have any. Which is why it’s mystifying that we A) Persist with the formation, and B) Keep signing wingers/wide men who don’t score.
AN Other teams 2 wide players score plenty through interchange and cut backs. Kent and Candeias don't seem to have that positional sense.

Why are people overexaggerating how shîte Barisic has been? He's not been as good as we had been expecting, but he's hardly Lee Hodson mk2.

Chronic, absolutely howling, sh*tebag, woeful, rotten. That's some of the words used to describe Barisic in the last few days.

Those are words used to describe players we had during the banter years.

It's like people just let go of all reality on the internet and the default setting is extreme.

Shameful signings.

To win this title back first and foremost we need to go back to the school of Walter signings - worknhorses with some talent we can worry about fancy foreigners and selling them on for a profit once we have a league back.

Shameful signings.

To win this title back first and foremost we need to go back to the school of Walter signings - worknhorses with some talent we can worry about fancy foreigners and selling them on for a profit once we have a league back.
Back in the day you would have said Davis was a workhorse with talent. You're looking at 7 mill plus for a young version now. Walter didn't buy many workhorses

Chronic, absolutely howling, sh*tebag, woeful, rotten. That's some of the words used to describe Barisic in the last few days.

It's like people just let go of all reality on the internet and the default setting is extreme.

Yip, it's one extreme or the other. At least the unrealistically happy extreme is uplifting – this stuff is depressing.

That's not the point I was making. People have used hyperbole on Barisic, comparing him to some of the worst fullbacks we've had since 2012, using some words that wouldn't look out of place when describing Ricky Foster et al.

So I thought I'd overrate how good Halliday has been. He was rotten away to Hibs, but you wouldn't have known that.
Sorry, missed your point.

These people are morons and there is no use in bothering with them.

Borna has some good qualities but he needs to be tougher. He’s too soft for my liking and I think teams have identified that.

Is Grezda fit yet?

i suggested after few games grezda wasnt near good enough for us and woukd be loaned or sold in summer only to be given abuse back. i stick by what i said. grezda is rotten should never be near a bears tap amd borna am disappointed in as hes shown he can play football.

Grezda doesn’t deserve any more patience. Fit or not, he’s never a footballer.

Borna will be a great player. You can see he has ability that Grezda will never have

Last edited:
No we shouldn't get rid of them (Unless a acceptable bid is made). Grezda has been poor but he's also been unlucky, had a bad injury that kept him out for Osijek at the start of the season, then we bought him, played about 7 matches then got injured again, 7 games isn't enough to judge a albanian international. Barisic needs to adapt and get tougher but there's no doubting his actual footballing ability

I think Grezda has had a fairly harsh time of it. He has shown in a few games (away to hearts, away to hibs, home to motherwell) that there is at least some signs of ability. He's new to the country, had a stop/start time of it with injuries, and has barely played. To write him off this early would be a bit premature.

One thing that does concern me is that it's fairly clear that gerrard doesn't fancy him so far.
Disagree. He was making the 11 or bench pretty consistently until he got injured

I would probably cut our losses, however not in a month of sundays is Halliday a better left back or a better footballer.

Back