Grezda won’t play for Rangers again

Usually all this “sack him” talk is pointless

But imo surely spitting on or at an opponent is gross misconduct? There may be some employment lawyer out there who’ll tell me I’m talking shite but
Lots of precedent of players spitting but not getting sacked. Can't think of one sacked for it, sadly.

We need to be careful how we treat this. Sacking him might not be possible. Suspending him for 6 months might be

'ave not read the whole thread, but just in hope that the spitting and the way he hasn't conducted himself in line with the club's image etc - might be grounds for a nice easy contract termination?

We can’t sack him or terminate his contract. The union would rip us to shreds.

We’ve backed spitters before so we can’t changing our stance. What we do though is, fine him the maximum two weeks wages, ask him to up his search for a new club as he’ll never play in any team for Rangers, he’ll train on his own at the HTC away from all squads and keep finding him for any misdemeanours he commits.

Play him at his fucking game.

Lots of precedent of players spitting but not getting sacked. Can't think of one sacked for it, sadly.
Exactly. People mention Amo. Yes, players, professionalism etc etc they are miles apart.

However, a half decent employment lawyer would have us on toast if we tried to sack him for it.

We can’t chose to sack one for it and not the other. Regardless of our perceived (and true) opinion that the guys a waster.

Unless of course he has been given warnings etc before.

Have a word with yourself . If this was a 1st team regular would you be saying the same (Jack )
We’re not talking about someone who is/ has contributed something to the club, we’re talking about an absolute waster quite happy to steal a wage and if it’s at all legally possible he should be shown the door.

Have we ever had a player spit at another player before?

If we have and he wasn’t sacked then we can’t sack him.
Of course we can, it’s down to the club to decide if they want misconduct proceedings to go ahead, in the others cases mentioned they did not.

We can’t sack him or terminate his contract. The union would rip us to shreds.

We’ve backed spitters before so we can’t changing our stance. What we do though is, fine him the maximum two weeks wages, ask him to up his search for a new club as he’ll never play in any team for Rangers, he’ll train on his own at the HTC away from all squads and keep finding him for any misdemeanours he commits.

Play him at his fucking game.
Surely if he's been the subject of previous disciplinary action to the point he's on his last legs (which seems to be the case) this could escalate it to a sacking?

I've seen him more in restaurants and bars in the West End than I have on the pitch.

The sooner we're rid of this imposter the better.

Absolutely right. I have no truck with people spitting - it is disgusting. But to sack a guy for it? Really? It hardly seems proportionate. And you are bang on that if it was a current first teamer we wouldn’t countenance sacking him.

I have no particular time for Grezda or Pena before him. But we signed them to contracts and, in doing so, we take on a duty to honour those contracts. It grates with my view of what our club is all about when we start over egging player indiscretions to, bluntly, come up with flimsy excuses to get out of our contractual obligations.

Quick question for those who think this way .

You are at a meeting in work you don’t feel you should really be at , the guy standing at the head of the table from a visiting company using PowerPoint showing KPI’s , turnover and how he improved them at his firm and so on , and you find yourself getting bored and frustrated.

You stand up , stroll over , stand in front of him , hawk up a massive greengo from the back of your lungs and spit right in his face then hurl obscenities at him as he recoils in horror . You storm away .

What are the repercussions for you acting this way whilst at work ? Take your time .

Quick question for those who think this way .

You are at a meeting in work you don’t feel you should really be at , the guy standing at the head of the table from a visiting company using PowerPoint showing KPI’s , turnover and how he improved them at his firm and so on , and you find yourself getting bored and frustrated.

You stand up , stroll over , stand in front of him , hawk up a massive greengo from the back of your lungs and spit right in his face then hurl obscenities at him as he recoils in horror . You storm away .

What are the repercussions for you acting this way whilst at work ? Take your time .

What if - since we are into hypotheticals - instead of spitting at him you just gave him a massive kick in the shins? Or even just pushed him about a wee bit in a bit of 'handbags'?

It's basically now just a question of where exactly this guy sits in our list of worst ever signings.

spitting involves body fluids transfer different form of attack and disgusting.

I'm not defending spitting mate, we all agree its a horrible thing. I was responding to the daft analogy of spitting on someone in a works meeting, which would undoubtedly lead to a sacking, being comparable to an incident on a football field. There are things that are 'accepted' as part of football - kicking, shoving but most certainly not spitting - that would get you sacked in an office but not on a football pitch. You can't compare the two situations as far as I'm concerned. It just doesn't work.

Emmm, why?
If his contract is terminated we will not receive a transfer fee.

If we have not paid the fee up front, perhaps, and I acknowledge it’s unlikely, there is a clause relating to reasons for termination in his contract that means we do not have to.

I'm not defending spitting mate, we all agree its a horrible thing. I was responding to the daft analogy of spitting on someone in a works meeting, which would undoubtedly lead to a sacking, being comparable to an incident on a football field. There are things that are 'accepted' as part of football - kicking, shoving but most certainly not spitting - that would get you sacked in an office but not on a football pitch. You can't compare the two situations as far as I'm concerned. It just doesn't work.

Daft ? Me ? I’ll be interested in your reaction once we hear the outcome of this situation .

spitting in someone’s face whether it's in an office or on a golf course or football field is 100% a criminal and sackable offence .

Daft ? Me ? I’ll be interested in your reaction once we hear the outcome of this situation .

spitting in someone’s face whether it's in an office or on a golf course or football field is 100% a criminal and sackable offence .

As I've said, there's no defending what he did. My point was that you can get away with plenty on a football field that would see you sacked - or arrested - elsewhere. So, in that context, I'm happy to stick with describing your analogy as 'daft'.

Sorry mate. :)

I agree it will be hard to push him out over this and we'd be opening ourselves up to a legal petition of some kind if we tried to punt him with no severance. This will draw a massive line though - saying he won't even get a reserve game - and he'll be heavily disciplined. That'll hopefully lead to a slippery slope of absence and outburst that will lead to a credible breach of contract .

Last edited:
I was wondering, is there video of the spit? The club(s) might be sitting on it if so but any attempt to throw him out over that incident would be helped if it existed, or if it was in the match report. Player testimony might not be held to be concrete and then there'd be defamation nonsense if it couldn't be proven.

If we have not paid the fee up front, perhaps, and I acknowledge it’s unlikely, there is a clause relating to reasons for termination in his contract that means we do not have to.
I would be shocked if we didn’t have to pay all the agreed transfer fee should we get rid.
In fact, I’d guess there is more chance of me winning the lottery. And I don’t buy tickets

As I've said, there's no defending what he did. My point was that you can get away with plenty on a football field that would see you sacked - or arrested - elsewhere. So, in that context, I'm happy to stick with describing your analogy as 'daft'.

Sorry mate. :)

We shall see what the outcome is . I think it’s daft to excuse someone from spitting in someone’s face just because they are employed as a footballer . Kicking , mistimed tackles , grappling is part of the game . Grogging in someone’s face isn’t .

It depends how much we want rid - it’s well within our power to sack him .

We shall see what the outcome is . I think it’s daft to excuse someone from spitting in someone’s face just because they are employed as a footballer . Kicking , mistimed tackles , grappling is part of the game . Grogging in someone’s face isn’t .

It depends how much we want rid - it’s well within our power to sack him .

Aw c'mon @HenningBerg I must have said at least 3 times now - at least - that there's no excusing his behaviour. I am not, and never have, tried to excuse it.

Kicking and grappling isn't 'part of the game' - that's why its against the rules. :)

We agree Grezda should be hammered - I think those expecting a tearing up of his contract are living in cloud-cuckoo land though (not that I'd be upset at such an outcome - we are going to take a massive 'hit' either way).

Not how it works I don't think.

Back