Groundhopping

songsofglory

Anyone in to Groundhopping? Basically just visiting random matches and as many grounds as possible. How many would you say you have been to and what have you experienced? Any favourite countries for visiting matches in?

Think Italy has to be my favourite so far. Whole football experience is just nuts, Atalanta in particular was pretty rough.

Bernabeu definitely the best stadium I've visited (after Ibrox of course).

yeah, I work all over the uk and usually try to get to a local game when possible.
This year I've been to Bristol city and Rovers. last few seasons have been to Cardiff, Scunthorpe, Rotherham, Elgin City, and Brighton.
Bristol city definitely the best, the fanzone / bar in the ground was top notch.

I’m at about 80 odd at present counting Scotland and England, a fair chunk in Germany and a few in Italy, Spain, Belgium and the US, will need to put a precise number on it

favourites are Hamburgs Volksparkstadion
Nurnburgs Grundig Stadion
Camp Nou
Getafe is a cracking wee ground

NYCFC at Yankee Stadium was a experience

Seeing Messi come off the bench to score a 15 min hat trick against Panama at Soldier Field in Chicago at the Copa America was a highlight of my groundhopping

I’m at about 80 odd at present counting Scotland and England, a fair chunk in Germany and a few in Italy, Spain, Belgium and the US, will need to put a precise number on it

favourites are Hamburgs Volksparkstadion
Nurnburgs Grundig Stadion
Camp Nou
Getafe is a cracking wee ground

NYCFC at Yankee Stadium was a experience

Seeing Messi come off the bench to score a 15 min hat trick against Panama at Soldier Field in Chicago at the Copa America was a highlight of my groundhopping

There is a great app simply called groundhopper. Keeps a record of all the places you have been and can earn badges, compare with friends etc. Pretty cool.

I'm at 70 now, last one I done was Workington v Pontefract a couple of weeks back. Kick off was held up for 45 mins as Pontefract never turned up in time!

I've been to just over 120 different grounds but mostly to watch Rangers, Accrington Stanley or Burnley

Done over 100 outside the uk this decade. Just go away for 2/3 nights every month and try and cram a few matches in. Always try and buy a pennant.

Did Atalanta a few year back - went to Virtus Entella at 3pm on the Saturday, Genoa Derby 20:45 Saturday, Inter v Torino 12 the Sunday and Atalanta 18:00 the Sunday.

Find it great to be honest, knocking about having a few pints here and there and seeing new sights mainly by train.

Been to quite a few matches across Europe, but, Germany is easily my most visited country, Cologne is a great city to visit, a lot of teams very close by to watch too.

At the weekend I decided I'm going to try and get to every Highland League ground over the next year or so. Only have a few ticked off so far, despite living in Aberdeenshire for over 6 years; Cove, Formartine, Inverurie Locos and Brora (for our friendly in 2013). Going to go to Turriff tonight for their game against Formartine.

One slight benefit of having our games on the Sunday, is being able to take in some Saturday games.

I have just about done all the big ones I really want to do.

Left is Napoli, Rome, Mexico City and Rosario - went there in 2009 while watching Oasis in South America and the Derby was on but couldn't get a ticket for it, only match I have ever been where there was no chance. Buenos Aries is a GroundHoppers paradise like, it's bloody brilliant for Football.

Mate of mine has done all 92 in England (plus many that have gone, either due to pyramid or new grounds) and is currently doing the Scottish ones.

Another had the ambition to see Rangers at every Scottish ground - he never thought he'd do it then 2012 happened... he's now hoping for Edinburgh City in the Cup!

Met a guy who works as a bus driving test examiner who had been to over 140 I'm sure he said.

Good Bluenose so may post on here.

Done over 100 outside the uk this decade. Just go away for 2/3 nights every month and try and cram a few matches in. Always try and buy a pennant.

Did Atalanta a few year back - went to Virtus Entella at 3pm on the Saturday, Genoa Derby 20:45 Saturday, Inter v Torino 12 the Sunday and Atalanta 18:00 the Sunday.

Find it great to be honest, knocking about having a few pints here and there and seeing new sights mainly by train.

We done three games in two days in Milan.

Novara v Bari in the Serie B on the Saturday
Atalanta v Bologna at 2pm Sunday
Milan v Lazio 7.45 Sunday

We have a trip planned to Krakow in March for Wisla v Lech Poznan but praying it's not moved to the Friday, although I'm sure we will find a match somewhere.

Been to quite a few matches across Europe, but, Germany is easily my most visited country, Cologne is a great city to visit, a lot of teams very close by to watch too.

At the weekend I decided I'm going to try and get to every Highland League ground over the next year or so. Only have a few ticked off so far, despite living in Aberdeenshire for over 6 years; Cove, Formartine, Inverurie Locos and Brora (for our friendly in 2013). Going to go to Turriff tonight for their game against Formartine.

One slight benefit of having our games on the Sunday, is being able to take in some Saturday games.

I've completed two leagues in Scotland, the Championship and League one. Got 2 left in the Premiership and 3 in League 2 because of the promotions of the new clubs. Hoping to get Scotland completed by the end of the season. It's hard though juggling between Rangers, seeing the bird, having plans etc and trying to justify why I want to go to Stranraer v Raith Rovers or something.

Fortunately my girlfriend is in to football so comes to some places with me, but it's hard to convince for the 8th tier of English football or something.

I'm into my groundhopping, done 42 grounds following Rangers but have done 108 grounds in total. Love just going to random games.

Done 40 grounds in England (16/20 in premiership and 14/24 in championship).

Also done 17 grounds in Germany (want to complete the Bundesliga in the next few seasons, currently on 13/18), 3 in Spain, 3 in Netherlands and a few in countries such as Northern Ireland, Wales, Belgium, Russia, Portugal.

Love my German games, set-up over there is brilliant and its pretty easy for 3 games in a weekend. Back over in Germany next weekend for another weekend of groundhopping.

Cant recommend groundhopper app highly enough (well worth the yearly fee).

I'm into my groundhopping, done 42 grounds following Rangers but have done 108 grounds in total. Love just going to random games.

Also done 17 grounds in Germany (want to complete the Bundesliga in the next few seasons, currently on 13/18), 3 in Spain, 3 in Netherlands and a few in countries such as Northern Ireland, Wales, Belgium, Russia, Portugal.

Love my German games, set-up over there is brilliant and its pretty easy for 3 games in a weekend. Back over in Germany next weekend for another weekend of groundhopping.

What's been your fav one in Germany? I just follow Rostock now really so go with them and will go to 1/2 matches nearby if I can when I go away. Hansa and Dynamo Dresden have been my best experiences in home ends. Probably Zwickau, Kaiserslautern and Wiesbaden in away ends, like going Munster as well - great away end.

My experiences are pretty tame by comparison to the previous posters but I've a thing going to visit as many iconic grounds as I can by having at least one city break a year to a city that has a top club.
Mrs Cutlass is cool about me and Cutlass Jnr disappearing for a couple of hours while she does some shopping.
Amongst my favourites so far are AC Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man Utd, Bayern Munich, PSG, Espanyol, Malaga (when they were under Pellegrini), Cologne, Chelsea, Seville, Arsenal, Roma and Boca Juniors.
Cutlass Jnr's next request is Dortmund...sounds like a plan!
:)

Not counting grounds now demolished or now non league I've done 48/92 in England/Wales, 30 in Germany and 14 other grounds in Europe.

Absolutely love it. I'm a season ticket holder at Wycombe (local side) and I've done the 92 down here in England. Just got to do Spurs and Salford to get it back. Probably seen Wycombe at 65-70 of those.

Have now started doing a lot more Scottish and European grounds in recent years. Love the German football experience and have done around 30 grounds there and absolutely love it. Keep going back, Dusseldorf is a haven for great footballing weekend where you can combine a few games. Did Progres and St Joseph this season after signing up for the travel club, shame it is so hard getting Rangers away tickets domestically otherwise I'd be doing more Scottush grounds. I'm on around 215 grounds in total for a match.

Bloody expensive habit when doing it alongside regular Ibrox trips and following Wycombe as well.

Use the Groundhopper mobile app religiously and love it.

Just checked the stats, 213 grounds across 8 countries (9 later this month after I visit the San Siro). 148 in England, 36 in Germany and 16 in Scotland. 7 in Holland which I've always enjoyed too. Expensive but enjoyable hobby, had some fantastic experiences.

Just checked the stats, 213 grounds across 8 countries (9 later this month after I visit the San Siro). 148 in England, 36 in Germany and 16 in Scotland. 7 in Holland which I've always enjoyed too. Expensive but enjoyable hobby, had some fantastic experiences.

Getting dear ain't it as well with the £ against Euro, I really notice it now compared to a few years ago. Germany and Holland seem really dear now.

Another shout for the Groundhopper app here.

Even if it’s just for mostly our games it’s interesting for stattos like me to know how many games you’ve been to.

This is what id love to do full time if I could retire young and rich. Travel around all over Europe taking in game after game from all sorts of countries! Would have to fit it all in around our games of course though!

Would love to do this too but I bet rarely get a Saturday off so it's well nigh impossible and I try not to miss our games too.
Wonder what supporters of other clubs doing this think of visiting Ibrox?.

I lived in Munich between 2013 and 2015 and just went all kinds of matches when I was off. Really changed how I look at things as a supporter to be honest.
Yeah same as me mate stayed in Germany for 3 years and went all over, loved Dortmund

What’s your name on the app and il add you?

What's been your fav one in Germany? I just follow Rostock now really so go with them and will go to 1/2 matches nearby if I can when I go away. Hansa and Dynamo Dresden have been my best experiences in home ends. Probably Zwickau, Kaiserslautern and Wiesbaden in away ends, like going Munster as well - great away end.

I've enjoyed all 17 of them to be honest. Favourite grounds have probably been Koln, Monchengladbach, Frankfurt and Schalke. All brilliant atmospheres.

Was at Hertha last year when they beat Bayern which was also pretty special.

Bizzarly, I found Dortmund a bit of a let down to be honest.

Other grounds I've been to are Hamburg, Mainz, Leipzig, Wolfsburg, Leverkusen, Kaiserslautern, Stuttgart, Hoffenheim, Union Berlin, RW Essen and Fortuna Dusseldorf.

Next week my mate has decided to hire a car (first time doing this, normally just go by train so travelling a bit more than usual / have more flexibility).

Thursday Gent v Saint-Etienne
Friday Schalke v Mainz
Sat I have tickets for Bremen v Leipzig but keeping an eye on Bayern ticket portal for Bayern v Koln
Sunday Frankfurt v Dortmund.

So returning to two grounds but they are two of the best in my opinion.

Would love to do this too but I bet rarely get a Saturday off so it's well nigh impossible and I try not to miss our games too.
Wonder what supporters of other clubs doing this think of visiting Ibrox?.

It's pretty common to be honest. I always use the groundhopper app to check in at Ibrox. It then allows you to see who else has checked-in at the match and there are always loads of tourist who also use the app.

I've enjoyed all 17 of them to be honest. Favourite grounds have probably been Koln, Monchengladbach, Frankfurt and Schalke. All brilliant atmospheres.

Was at Hertha last year when they beat Bayern which was also pretty special.

Bizzarly, I found Dortmund a bit of a let down to be honest.

Other grounds I've been to are Hamburg, Mainz, Leipzig, Wolfsburg, Leverkusen, Kaiserslautern, Stuttgart, Hoffenheim, Union Berlin, RW Essen and Fortuna Dusseldorf.

Next week my mate has decided to hire a car (first time doing this, normally just go by train so travelling a bit more than usual / have more flexibility).

Thursday Gent v Saint-Etienne
Friday Schalke v Mainz
Sat I have tickets for Bremen v Leipzig but keeping an eye on Bayern ticket portal for Bayern v Koln
Sunday Frankfurt v Dortmund.

So returning to two grounds but they are two of the best in my opinion.

Been to all of them apart from Essen and Hoffenheim. Ghent was alright, much better place than Brugge as well as not a total tourist trap. Enjoyed Eintracht. I like standing so don't really go top flight in Germany now as it can be hard to get standing. Hoping to get to Lok Leipzig and possibly Aue when go watching Hansa in Jena in a few month, always have a good time when go the old East.

Absolutely love it. I'm a season ticket holder at Wycombe (local side) and I've done the 92 down here in England. Just got to do Spurs and Salford to get it back. Probably seen Wycombe at 65-70 of those.

Have now started doing a lot more Scottish and European grounds in recent years. Love the German football experience and have done around 30 grounds there and absolutely love it. Keep going back, Dusseldorf is a haven for great footballing weekend where you can combine a few games. Did Progres and St Joseph this season after signing up for the travel club, shame it is so hard getting Rangers away tickets domestically otherwise I'd be doing more Scottush grounds. I'm on around 215 grounds in total for a match.

Bloody expensive habit when doing it alongside regular Ibrox trips and following Wycombe as well.

Use the Groundhopper mobile app religiously and love it.

What’s your username on the app mate and il add you?

I wrote an article once for Football Weekender magazine about a trip to Peterhead v Ayr.

Another shout for the Groundhopper app here.

Even if it’s just for mostly our games it’s interesting for stattos like me to know how many games you’ve been to.

I really only count the grounds once, although I’ve just noticed you can earn badges for visiting derby matches etc so next game v the poets il need to check in.

I really only count the grounds once, although I’ve just noticed you can earn badges for visiting derby matches etc so next game v the poets il need to check in.

I've managed to add all the games I've been too since 2003 when I moved to Glasgow for uni, was a mission adding them all! I always check in at games now.

Would love to add games pre then but cant remember them all.

Not really in to finishing leagues and that, more keen to get to Stadiums that are getting knocked down or rapidly changing. Only got Paderborn and Hoffenheim to do in the Bundesliga but the latter will be there in 20 years time and doubt I am missing much so keen to get others done before.

I've managed to add all the games I've been too since 2003 when I moved to Glasgow for uni, was a mission adding them all! I always check in at games now.

Would love to add games pre then but cant remember them all.

Jesus Christ that must have taken some effort! I wouldn’t even know where to start.

Not really in to finishing leagues and that, more keen to get to Stadiums that are getting knocked down or rapidly changing. Only got Paderborn and Hoffenheim to do in the Bundesliga but the latter will be there in 20 years time and doubt I am missing much so keen to get others done before.

I prefer kinda cool grounds if possible, I really liked Craven Cottage. Had a real historic feel about the place.

I’d really love to visit the likes of Faroe Islands and Iceland for a game. Some amazing settings.

I've got a stagger in March,were going to dusseldorf and Dortmund games, was hoping for hamburg but the fixtures weren't as favourable.

I'll be at my 3rd different German ground next month when I go to Karlsruher v Hannover. Previously attended Eintracht Frankfurt v Schalke and Stuttgart v Hertha Berlin.

I'll be at my 3rd different German ground next month when I go to Karlsruher v Hannover. Previously attended Eintracht Frankfurt v Schalke and Stuttgart v Hertha Berlin.

Quite liked Karlsruher, nice walk from the town as well past a Palace and Park.

Do you check in at a game on the day or just click a stadium ?

Groundhopper app let's you check in on the day as long as you are within a few hundred yards from the ground. Simply open the app when near a ground and a wee green dot will appear and it will ask if you want to add the game.

I use the app for every time I go to a game, adding Blackpool to it tomorrow. My mate who also uses the app has been to 587 grounds.

I usually get away 5 or 6 times a year and always look for games locally, but I almost always travel with my Mrs and she'd not be up for it. I'd looked into going to Hamburg at the start of the year for my birthday and there was a game on at the time, but work meant it wasn't feasible. I've only managed to get to the Ghelamco in Gent to watch them play Lokeren, and went to Hertha vs Fortuna on a stag earlier in the year. The Olympiastadion is imressive, but Hertha were shit. Dusseldorf and their fans were excellent though.

Going to Seville in a couple of months and had a look but it's the Seville derby so I imagine tickets would be hard to come by.

I usually get away 5 or 6 times a year and always look for games locally, but I almost always travel with my Mrs and she'd not be up for it. I'd looked into going to Hamburg at the start of the year for my birthday and there was a game on at the time, but work meant it wasn't feasible. I've only managed to get to the Ghelamco in Gent to watch them play Lokeren, and went to Hertha vs Fortuna on a stag earlier in the year. The Olympiastadion is imressive, but Hertha were shit. Dusseldorf and their fans were excellent though.

Going to Seville in a couple of months and had a look but it's the Seville derby so I imagine tickets would be hard to come by.

Went to the Seville derby in 2009, bought some outside quite close to kick off - you’ll be alright I would say but be prepared to probably go to 80 euro a ticket.

Back