Groundhopping

Went to the Seville derby in 2009, bought some outside quite close to kick off - you’ll be alright I would say but be prepared to probably go to 80 euro a ticket.

Cheers, I'll probably review it closer to the time but chances are we'll just end up watching in a wee bar somewhere.

Cheers, I'll probably review it closer to the time but chances are we'll just end up watching in a wee bar somewhere.

Good little fan bar opposite the east end of the stadium on “Antonio Puerta” street. Might be useful if you go up but can’t get in.

Not been to as many as some of the guys on this thread but my favourites have been visits to Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool and 1860 Munich when they were still in the top division, at the old Olympic Stadium.

Not been to as many as some of the guys on this thread but my favourites have been visits to Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool and 1860 Munich when they were still in the top division, at the old Olympic Stadium.

Reckon 1860 might play a few seasons at the Olympic Stadium while The Grunwalder is being done up.

Good little fan bar opposite the east end of the stadium on “Antonio Puerta” street. Might be useful if you go up but can’t get in.

Is that at the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan? The game's at the Benito Villamarin when we're there.

Apparently there are 13 clubs in London. So far I've still to see Chelsea, Leyton Orient and Crystal Palace. Been to all the other grounds including Wembley.

I really only count the grounds once, although I’ve just noticed you can earn badges for visiting derby matches etc so next game v the poets il need to check in.

Yeah I find it useful for totalling up all our games I’ve been to out of curiosity if nothing else.

The app informed me that Midtjylland at home was my 375th game at Ibrox, was easy enough for me to add our home games as I’ve had an ST since 01/02, can’t remember a lot of the away games though ha.

Aided by a doctored birth certificate, I was able to complete the 92 in England before I turned 19. Last one I did was Barnsley in May 1985

Do you check in at a game on the day or just click a stadium ?

If you are just starting out you can go back through all the grounds you’ve been to and add the fixtures you were at. For ones that I’ve been multiple times to I just added one match.

Got Albion Rovers, Edinburgh City and Cove to do for all Scottish senior grounds.

Haven't really worked up the enthusiasm for Cliftonhill yet.

Just got the Groundhopper app and added all the grounds I have been to so far. Only seven, which is pretty poor. Outwith Ibrox, Volksparkstadion was a highlight.
Celtic Park for a few scotland games in the 90's, Rugby Park, Hampden, Palmerston, and Galabank.

Suddenly feeling the need to try and double that in the next 6 months or so. Looking to get to a game in Krakow in March.

Last edited:
Just got the Groundhopper app and added all the grounds I have been to so far. Only seven, which is pretty poor. Outwith Ibrox, Volksparkstadion was a highlight.
Celtic Park for a few scotland games in the 90's, Rugby Park, Hampden, Palmerston, and Galabank.

Suddenly feeling the need to try and double that in the next 6 months or so. Loking to get to a game in Krakow in March.

If you’re heading to Kraków for a game, Hutnik Krakow wasn’t bad. Was where England were based for the Euros in 2012. Word of warning though, I ended up in the Ultras section and they were scrapping at the turnstiles with the away fans at around the 20min mark. Speaking to one of the “top boys” (for lack of a better description) apparently there’s almost always some form of “action” in the polish lower leagues.

But I managed that and Wisla on the same day. If going to Wisla, take your passport and tell them it’s your first visit, you get a discounted rate. Which is heavily discounted.

If you’re heading to Kraków for a game, Hutnik Krakow wasn’t bad. Was where England were based for the Euros in 2012. Word of warning though, I ended up in the Ultras section and they were scrapping at the turnstiles with the away fans at around the 20min mark. Speaking to one of the “top boys” (for lack of a better description) apparently there’s almost always some form of “action” in the polish lower leagues.

But I managed that and Wisla on the same day. If going to Wisla, take your passport and tell them it’s your first visit, you get a discounted rate. Which is heavily discounted.

Cheers. Never heard of Hutnik! Will check them out. I work with a guy who was in the Kracovia ultras as a youth who has persuaded me to go to one of their games. Would love to get to a couple whilst there though.

Cheers. Never heard of Hutnik! Will check them out. I work with a guy who was in the Kracovia ultras as a youth who has persuaded me to go to one of their games. Would love to get to a couple whilst there though.
Yeah they’re basically the 3rd team in Kraków. Based in the district of Nowa Huta. I’m saving Cracovia for the derby. Absolutely desperate to get to that game.

Yeah they’re basically the 3rd team in Kraków. Based in the district of Nowa Huta. I’m saving Cracovia for the derby. Absolutely desperate to get to that game.

It looks pretty wild on youtube videos. The city will be fun after that game I bet.

Groundhopper app sounds cool. I don't have it but after reading this thread I've registered with footballgroundmap.com tonight. Apparently I've been to 79 grounds in total.

Ground hopper app - buts1690

Have been to 277 grounds mainly with Rangers and Millwall, throw in a few foreign ground hops and most Non League grounds in the South East of England. Done 65ish of the EFL 92, completed the current SPFL Premier (home end at St Mirren last month) and been to 71/72 games in total in each of the past two seasons (20 so far this campaign)

I've enjoyed all 17 of them to be honest. Favourite grounds have probably been Koln, Monchengladbach, Frankfurt and Schalke. All brilliant atmospheres.

Was at Hertha last year when they beat Bayern which was also pretty special.

Bizzarly, I found Dortmund a bit of a let down to be honest.

Other grounds I've been to are Hamburg, Mainz, Leipzig, Wolfsburg, Leverkusen, Kaiserslautern, Stuttgart, Hoffenheim, Union Berlin, RW Essen and Fortuna Dusseldorf.

Next week my mate has decided to hire a car (first time doing this, normally just go by train so travelling a bit more than usual / have more flexibility).

Thursday Gent v Saint-Etienne
Friday Schalke v Mainz
Sat I have tickets for Bremen v Leipzig but keeping an eye on Bayern ticket portal for Bayern v Koln
Sunday Frankfurt v Dortmund.

So returning to two grounds but they are two of the best in my opinion.

Bayern/Cologne on open sale now mate. Not many but at least it has gone free sale.

As some others have mentioned it’s great when you can take in a couple of games in the same day. My favourite was around 1996. Afternoon game was Tranmere 1 Bolton 0 and evening game was Everton 2 Newcastle 0. Think goal scorers were Nevin and Amokachi.

As some others have mentioned it’s great when you can take in a couple of games in the same day. My favourite was around 1996. Afternoon game was Tranmere 1 Bolton 0 and evening game was Everton 2 Newcastle 0. Think goal scorers were Nevin and Amokachi.

I've managed to do that a few times.

Nottingham Forrest v Wolves followed by Derby v Watford on Good Friday a few years ago.

Aston Villa v Birmingham followed by Wolves v Huddersfield last November.

Fleetwood v AFC Wimbledon followed by Blackpool v Arsenal in the FA Cup last January.

Great way of ticking off grounds.

Last edited:

Suddenly feeling the need to try and double that in the next 6 months or so. Looking to get to a game in Krakow in March.

Me and my mates have booked Krakow in March. Wisla Krakow v Lech Poznan is the main scheduled match but now worried they move it to the Friday and we miss it.

Got Albion Rovers, Edinburgh City and Cove to do for all Scottish senior grounds.

Haven't really worked up the enthusiasm for Cliftonhill yet.

Think a lot of Bears will only have them left, with the latter two only coming in to the leagues and us not playing at Cliftonhill. We went to Albion v Airdrie in the Airdrie end it was a good match with a decent atmosphere because it was a derby. Not one I'd fancy at a run of the mill match though.

I've managed to do that a few times.

Nottingham Forrest v Wolves followed by Derby v Watford on Good Friday a few years ago.

Birmingham v Aston Villa followed by Wolves v Huddersfield last November.

Fleetwood v AFC Wimbledon followed by Blackpool v Arsenal in the FA Cup last January.

Great way of ticking off grounds.

Only managed it once with Atalanta v Bologna then back to Milan for Milan V Lazio. Good to get two games in but was very rushed considering it wasn't in the same city.

Think a lot of Bears will only have them left, with the latter two only coming in to the leagues and us not playing at Cliftonhill. We went to Albion v Airdrie in the Airdrie end it was a good match with a decent atmosphere because it was a derby. Not one I'd fancy at a run of the mill match though.

The only stadiums I missed while in the bottom tiers were:

Peterhead (holiday then weather was bad for 2nd game)
Arbroath (holiday then a wedding for 2nd game)
Annan (couldnt get a ticket for either game)

Ticked off Albion Rovers by going to a Albion Rovers v Airdrie new years game... was pretty decent.

Not done Cove and Edinburgh as they only appeared recently.

Determined to try and complete the 42 following Rangers with the exception of Albion Rovers as we will never play there (remember being at the matches when we played them at livingston and hamilton).

37/42 for me and I suspect it'll stay that way for a very long time.

The only stadiums I missed while in the bottom tiers were:

Peterhead (holiday then weather was bad for 2nd game)
Arbroath (holiday then a wedding for 2nd game)
Annan (couldnt get a ticket for either game)

Ticked off Albion Rovers by going to a Albion Rovers v Airdrie new years game... was pretty decent.

Not done Cove and Edinburgh as they only appeared recently.

Determined to try and complete the 42 following Rangers with the exception of Albion Rovers as we will never play there (remember being at the matches when we played them at livingston and hamilton).

37/42 for me and I suspect it'll stay that way for a very long time.

I missed a few on the way up, but got the vast majority. Funnily enough two of the ones I'm missing are Livingston and Hamilton. Last couple of seasons I've not been able to attend away games for various reasons so missed Livi. I've had a ticket for three matches at Hamilton and never been able to make it. Going to Livingston for the cup so that will be one down.

Cove Rangers
Edinburgh City
Cowedenbeath

Are the other ones I've missed. I didn't make Peterhead with Rangers but my mate worked in Aberdeen and got us hospitality at a game v Ayr. I wrote about that game for a Groundhopping magazine.

Just looking on the groundhopper app and I see they have introduced a new section which shows you which teams have the most supporters using the app (you choose you favourite team when setting up the app).

No surprise but great to see way more of our fans using it than theirs. App is hugely popular in Germany. Cant recommend it highly enough, especially for fans who follow home and away.

153 grounds visited mostly with Rangers and Newcastle 66/92 English league 37/42 Scottish league.17 old grounds in England,old and new Wembley,love street(st mirrens old ground)hampden park and Murrayfield.Been to a few European grounds had an Italian weekend in march took in the Milan derby,Torino v Bologna and a ground tour of Juventus ground

153 grounds visited mostly with Rangers and Newcastle 66/92 English league 37/42 Scottish league.17 old grounds in England,old and new Wembley,love street(st mirrens old ground)hampden park and Murrayfield.Been to a few European grounds had an Italian weekend in march took in the Milan derby,Torino v Bologna and a ground tour of Juventus ground
Should get the app mate sounds like you would like it. Just keeps track of how many you've done.

Stewards enquiry counting a ground tour though haha.

Off to East Germany next weekend - Aue v Heidenheim and hopefully Jena v Rostock but might be at LOK Leipzig instead.

Have just booked to go to Napoli v Inter in the New Year, anyone been? Also does anyone have any knowledge of what they do regarding Serie D fixtures at all please? As it is Sunday Jan 5th and the weekend of Epiphany are they likely to all play that Sunday in Serie D? Cheers.

I've only been to 18 senior grounds in Scotland
13 junior grounds and growing.
2 in England
2 in Germany
1 in Spain (2 if you include a tour)

I've done 55 grounds across Scotland, England, Germany, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Austria, America and Spain. Didn't become a hobby as such until I moved over to Amsterdam. Done a fair amount across the top 3 flights in Holland. Apart from the obvious of Ajax and Feyenoord, I would recommend the following to visit in Holland.
Telstar - Rabobank Ijmond Stadion
FC Volendam - Kras Stadion
Ijsselmeervogels - Sportpark De Westmaat
Almere City - Yanmar Stadion
FC Den Bosch - De Vilert
You are guaranteed goals in the Dutch 2nd and 3rd tiers. Being able to have a few beers in the stands defiantly makes the experience more enjoyable also

I've got a stagger in March,were going to dusseldorf and Dortmund games, was hoping for hamburg but the fixtures weren't as favourable.
Just done Dusseldorf's ground last weekend. Impressive inside but there was 10k empty seats. Doesn't look like a stadium from the outside, more like a big Ikea

I would find it hard as I really don't have any interest in football outside Rangers and I'm not trying to be staunch I can't concentrate on any games without them.

I've done 55 grounds across Scotland, England, Germany, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Austria, America and Spain. Didn't become a hobby as such until I moved over to Amsterdam. Done a fair amount across the top 3 flights in Holland. Apart from the obvious of Ajax and Feyenoord, I would recommend the following to visit in Holland.
Telstar - Rabobank Ijmond Stadion
FC Volendam - Kras Stadion
Ijsselmeervogels - Sportpark De Westmaat
Almere City - Yanmar Stadion
FC Den Bosch - De Vilert
You are guaranteed goals in the Dutch 2nd and 3rd tiers. Being able to have a few beers in the stands defiantly makes the experience more enjoyable also

Was at Den Bosch v Njimegen last December and had a good night, was 3 2 and lively on the terraces - stood on M Side (seated but everyone stood nigh on). Could see going various matches being quite easy in Holland with it being so small etc... did you find the cost of trains quite dear though?

Just done Dusseldorf's ground last weekend. Impressive inside but there was 10k empty seats. Doesn't look like a stadium from the outside, more like a big Ikea

There in December for Uerdigen v Hansa, be about 45,000 spare if not more.

Was at Den Bosch v Njimegen last December and had a good night, was 3 2 and lively on the terraces - stood on M Side (seated but everyone stood nigh on). Could see going various matches being quite easy in Holland with it being so small etc... did you find the cost of trains quite dear though?

When I went to Den Bosch they were playing Telstar. 3-0 Den Bosch at half time, but finished 4-3 to Telstar. Telstar also hit the bar from the halfway line. Was some game!!

If you live here you get a card that uploads money from your bank account and you use it for all public transport, which gets you a slightly reduced rate. But yeah the trains can be a bit pricey. But I suppose you are paying for more regular and on time trains, compared to the sh*tshow that is Scotrail. Also the boys I go to most games with, 2 of them have cars, so sometimes we go by road.

When I went to Den Bosch they were playing Telstar. 3-0 Den Bosch at half time, but finished 4-3 to Telstar. Telstar also hit the bar from the halfway line. Was some game!!

If you live here you get a card that uploads money from your bank account and you use it for all public transport, which gets you a slightly reduced rate. But yeah the trains can be a bit pricey. But I suppose you are paying for more regular and on time trains, compared to the sh*tshow that is Scotrail. Also the boys I go to most games with, 2 of them have cars, so sometimes we go by road.

I had a good night at Den Bosch, I was surprised to be honest - expected it to be pretty tame in the stands but it was a good laugh and lively with plenty of lads on the beer and pretty vocal.

Just asked about the Trains as have I found it dear, always seems to be a case of a return being double the cost of a single really and a price not very cheap.

Logged stadiums visited on Football Ground Map site.

This is a interesting feature

BY THE COMPASS

Don't have that app but think I will have the same Easterly and Southerly Grounds.

Reactions: SSR
Was surprised Inverness was my most Northern stadium :p

Just had a look on the map and my most southerly one will be Estudiantes, was at this match:

Wish I could afford a few weeks there again!

Reactions: SSR
Just had a look on the map and my most southerly one will be Estudiantes, was at this match:

Wish I could afford a few weeks there again!
We were over for Boca v River in May 2013 would love to go back!

Last edited:

Keep an eye on the lowland league, they do groundhopper weekends once a season I'm sure with games on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday.

Back