Group chats one year ago

sonofbunk

For a laugh have a look at your group chats from a year ago after the accies game.

My mate posted a few highlights today.

- I’m saying SG is an expensive mistake
- someone else think the players don’t play for SG
- another calls the team losers
- another is insistent Goldson be dropped

Amazing how far we have come in a year. And only 2 out the starting 11 don’t play for the club just now.

Last edited:
For a laugh have a look at your group chats from a year ago after the accies game.

Amazing how far we have come in a year
I think i posted 'Spoiler Alert - We let Hamilton win to send Hearts bottom of the league again.'

Apart from that just floated home from the stadium in stunned silence.

I'm fairness even Gerrard came out after the Hamilton game and implied he had a decision to make regarding his future.. can't remember the exact quote but it certainly added fuel to the fire.

The turn around in 1 year is genuinely unbelievable.

My genuine feeling was that if SG couldn't motivate the players to give their all, then who could? I knew when we were at our best we could horse every team in the league, yet again we suffered from post-winter break capitulation.

I began thinking the players had taken their foot off the gas because we'd went on the break to Dubai and somehow in their mind they thought we were on the home straight and the period of "relaxation" (I know it wasn't) carried on into our games.

I'm still not 100% there was a single cause, rather multiple issues. The break to Dubai. The refereeing - I reckon the players had got it into their head that we weren't going to be allowed to win the league, especially after the League Cup game and the away win to them (and who could blame them?). Losing Alfie for the first few games. Then of course just the fact that we had a team full of players who have never won anything, whilst their players had done it over and over. I think it was just a shite combination of issues, coupled with them going on an impressive run of games.

Whatever chat our management team and players had obviously worked, we've never looked back since really. When we put the pressure on them, they crumbled and that's something we've not done in the league for 10 years. They had it easy until we turned the screw and they simply couldn't cope with it.

In fairness, the way we were free-falling, I think Gerrard got lucky that covid prematurely ended the season

Thank god it did now because I reckon he’d have been close to being sacked

Only have to go back as far as last night's match thread to see "Morelos will never score", to realise Rangers fans are a little fickle.

Feck keeping messages from a year ago. My phone gets cleaned daily with the amount of madshit people send on watts app.

Like all Rangers fans I was disappointed at that point.

I had seen enough to know Rangers were better than the results. By default, I could see the change SG and his team had delivered.

I do think the expectation of the fans weighed heavy on some of our players. In a peculiar way, I reckon Covid has "helped". And the confidence of getting this monkey off our back will help us moving forward.

Much in the same way, that if we'd won the League Cup last year, I reckon we'd have won the League too.

Changing to another manager and management team was not for me. I'm delighted it has turned out the way it has - it is sweeter than I could ever have imagined.

Looked at mine.... I text someone, "That Lana Wolf wummin would be a nice lady to take home to meet your parents".......

Don't have to look in terms of what I thought.......Get him to %^*& :D A team of losers that are mentally weak and our manager is in to deep!! :D

God am happy I was wrong looking back its been worth keeping them on :D

My genuine feeling was that if SG couldn't motivate the players to give their all, then who could? I knew when we were at our best we could horse every team in the league, yet again we suffered from post-winter break capitulation.

I began thinking the players had taken their foot off the gas because we'd went on the break to Dubai and somehow in their mind they thought we were on the home straight and the period of "relaxation" (I know it wasn't) carried on into our games.

I'm still not 100% there was a single cause, rather multiple issues. The break to Dubai. The refereeing - I reckon the players had got it into their head that we weren't going to be allowed to win the league, especially after the League Cup game and the away win to them (and who could blame them?). Losing Alfie for the first few games. Then of course just the fact that we had a team full of players who have never won anything, whilst their players had done it over and over. I think it was just a shite combination of issues, coupled with them going on an impressive run of games.

Whatever chat our management team and players had obviously worked, we've never looked back since really. When we put the pressure on them, they crumbled and that's something we've not done in the league for 10 years. They had it easy until we turned the screw and they simply couldn't cope with it.
This. I was more worried we'd lose the manager should we have sacked him in 2020. It'd be 'ten' going on 15 if we had let him go and had to rebuild.

Amazing how far we have come in a year. And only 2 out the starting 11 don’t play for the club just now.
A year ago there were reasonable questions to be asked of Gerrard.

The January & February collapse had left us with an enormous job to do to keep in touch in the league; Europe was the bright spot and platform where the players demonstrated their bottle to perform calmly regardless of whatever else was happening on the pitch.

In domestic football, Gerrard appeared to be getting caught out by all the same things as the season before though.

The manager and his team have turned around a number of trends that were keeping us back - they deserve enormous credit for doing so.

I think we had slowly begun to turn the tide by winning at Parkhead, winning at home against Celtic, playing very well but ultimately not winning the league cup were the signs that SG’s long term planning was paying off. Add to this ( this season ) a maturity of our players, excellent competency in our leadership, Steven Davis being utterly consistent etc all contributed to writing of better headlines for this year.

Thankfully I got a new phone a few months back and all previous WhatsApp messages are long gone. :oops:

However, I missed the game that particular evening which was also a kind of bonus as I wouldn't have been as vocal :eek:

Latest posts

Back