Growing appetite for Premier League season to be abandoned

in a couple of weeks when the virus reaches its peak and lots of people
are dying daily surely even these muppets will realise the league means nothing
compared to whats going on, surely to god its null and void

At the end of the day, the footballing authorities throughout the world have to act with dignity here. You cannot have celebratory situations, when all round people are dying..

The league should be void because there isn’t the time to play it not because it’s morally dubious to enjoy ourselves.

In the midst of life we are in death.

they are in a similar position imo, they are ahead in their league which hasnt been mathematically won or all the games complete. Liverpool should not be awarded the title as should be the case across all leagues.

if you award liverpool it then you must also the mentally challengeds.
Correct, each league is exactly the same . It's unfortunate for liverpool, but it's exactly the same situation

Null and void

Of course it should be abandoned. These are times that no one has seen before.You cant expect sportsmen to play even behind closed doors worrying about taking things home to their family.

Article on Leeds:

The correct response, summed up:

Daniel Chapman, co-editor of the Square Ball fanzine, encapsulates a now almost unimaginably altered mood among the fans.

“Two weeks ago the idea of calling off the season had everyone saying ‘Typical Leeds’,” wrote Chapman in the Yorkshire Evening Post. “That’s gone. Any defiance the mirror now shows is mostly wide-eyed fear as I think less often of promotion. The death tolls from Italy are of a scale that can be mapped on to blocks of seating at Elland Road. The notion of the virus being ‘typically Leeds’ seems absurd now that we can appreciate its global impact on our increasingly local lives.”

I can understand fans being initially upset by the thought of losing their title or promotion. But now... football needs perspective.

Article on Leeds:

The correct response, summed up:

Daniel Chapman, co-editor of the Square Ball fanzine, encapsulates a now almost unimaginably altered mood among the fans.

“Two weeks ago the idea of calling off the season had everyone saying ‘Typical Leeds’,” wrote Chapman in the Yorkshire Evening Post. “That’s gone. Any defiance the mirror now shows is mostly wide-eyed fear as I think less often of promotion. The death tolls from Italy are of a scale that can be mapped on to blocks of seating at Elland Road. The notion of the virus being ‘typically Leeds’ seems absurd now that we can appreciate its global impact on our increasingly local lives.”

I can understand fans being initially upset by the thought of losing their title or promotion. But now... football needs perspective.

Should be the view of every decent minded person at this time.

Lot’s of complications.

They are even saying Kit deals for next season being under threat.
Contracts just finishing at end of season, but if season extended it impacts on new deals due to start, like Liverpool Celtc etc

Not sure how anyone can think titles shuld
He handed out before its mathematically impossible to be caught .

This thing ain’t going away anytime soon. Bin the season and look at next season whenever things start to settle

they are in a similar position imo, they are ahead in their league which hasnt been mathematically won or all the games complete. Liverpool should not be awarded the title as should be the case across all leagues.

if you award liverpool it then you must also the mentally challengeds.
Why?
What about Italy and Spain?

In England the clubs should vote and award Liverpool the title . I think every club would vote for that. Then the logical thing to do would be to void the league and add two teams from the league below and no relegation . Not perfect but nothing will be
No way as SPFL would use this as precedent and have a vote
And we all know how that would turn out!! :mad:

There is absolutely no chance this will happen. Money talks, and there's too much at stake to null and void it.

Liverpool will be PL champions, in all likelihood behind closed doors, some time between July and the end of August.

It's the only rational outcome, if it is not mathematically impossible for a team to lose a lead then it cannot be deemed complete.

Season 2019/20 must be called VOID, it's the only logical solution.
They can't void the season. If they have to pay sky back for doing that, the majority of clubs in the EPL would go burst. Bournemouth and teams like that are the size of hearts, about 15,000-20,000 home fans, yet because of sky the can offer £100,000 in wages to players

There is absolutely no chance this will happen. Money talks, and there's too much at stake to null and void it.

Liverpool will be PL champions, in all likelihood behind closed doors, some time between July and the end of August.
So when’s next season starting and the Europa and champions league qualifiers?
What’s happening with the out of contract players?

No games will be played behind closed doors. The players union will not allow it.

They can't void the season. If they have to pay sky back for doing that, the majority of clubs in the EPL would go burst. Bournemouth and teams like that are the size of hearts, about 15,000-20,000 home fans, yet because of sky the can offer £100,000 in wages to players

Do you honestly think sky will ask for there money back??
Not a chance

Why would SKY want their money back? Are they refunding all the subscriptions they have received over the season? All the advertisers who have paid to have prime spots during games?

Seeking to claw back wages on Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher etc along with commentators on games that will not go towards the deciding of a championship?

Declaring the season null and void will not suddenly have everyone demanding their money back.

Why would SKY want their money back? Are they refunding all the subscriptions they have received over the season? All the advertisers who have paid to have prime spots during games?

Seeking to claw back wages on Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher etc along with commentators on games that will not go towards the deciding of a championship?

Declaring the season null and void will not suddenly have everyone demanding their money back.

The poets are all over social media with this scaremongering shite.

This.

If the SPL season is null and void and we effectively start again next season, so be it.

If the SPL title gets awarded based on current status, so be it.

The first option is the correct one in my opinion but honestly, if the SPL get it wrong and go with option 2, it’ll be the most tainted of all tainted titles and everyone, including them, will know it. The record books will show 9 but history will also record the circumstances.

Whatever happens happens. More important things to worry about currently.

In a nutshell. Weird how I equally miss football and couldnt care less about it.

Where do people get this from?
It makes no sense whatsoever.
At the very worst a pro rata amount would be deducted, which works out about 1/6th of the season.
It is far more probable that the contracts will be honoured.

No games will be played behind closed doors. The players union will not allow it.

On what grounds? They're talking about a treatment being ready by July, and tests in the coming weeks will allow us all to know if we've had the illness. Come July, the picture will be so much clearer as to how things proceed. Based on the figures, most players will have been ill by then.

So when’s next season starting and the Europa and champions league qualifiers?
What’s happening with the out of contract players?

I suspect everything will be pushed back, international breaks scrapped, winter break scraped, no league cups next season.

Wouldn't surprise me if the new season didn't start until October at the earliest.

On what grounds? They're talking about a treatment being ready by July, and tests in the coming weeks will allow us all to know if we've had the illness. Come July, the picture will be so much clearer as to how things proceed. Based on the figures, most players will have been ill by then.
As it stand, because of player to player transmission.

If the season is not completed by the end of June then it won't be completed.

With Euro 2020 now being pushed back a year it will require an early finish to the campaign again next season meaning any delay to restart next season due to Covid-19 is going to cause issues. That's why this season will be null and void.

Its tough on Liverpool, but it would be an even bigger travesty for them to be given the league.

The EPL, like the SPFL, is decided on the basis of 38 games. If these 38 games cannot be fulfilled then there is no option but to null and void the league.

As it stand, because of player to player transmission.

If the season is not completed by the end of June then it won't be completed.

With Euro 2020 now being pushed back a year it will require an early finish to the campaign again next season meaning any delay to restart next season due to Covid-19 is going to cause issues. That's why this season will be null and void.

The leagues have literally said they'll be postponed indefinitely. End of June as a deadline has only been mentioned on here. What makes you think you know better?

Why would they pay full amount back to Sky?
Surely based on number of unplayed games!
This nonsense has been touted by them to bolster their agenda :mad:

Liverpool and the scums situations aren't evenly remotely close. Liverpool are completely out of sight in England, 25 points clear, 22 assuming City win game in hand., up here we are potentially and very realistically talking about a 4 point gap (given how we have performed against them in two out of three of our previous games this season). No Surrender !

Liverpool and the scums situations aren't evenly remotely close. Liverpool are completely out of sight in England, 25 points clear, 22 assuming City win game in hand., up here we are potentially and very realistically talking about a 4 point gap (given how we have performed against them in two out of three of our previous games this season). No Surrender !

Irrelevant, neither club has won their league. If the remaining fixtures cannot be fulfilled, it would be abomination for either to be simply handed the title.

No bother Peter.

The English fa have started cancelling lower leagues. Our amateur league falls under the english fa and we got s message on Thursday to say all results are expunged and the season is null and void.

It's the only way to go now. Players haven't played for 3 weeks leagues supposed to start 30th of april nearly 2 months off they will need a pre season if that date foes ahead which is unlikely.

Europe points co efficient can be kept as those games are done nothing can change those points being gained.

They won’t play behind closed doors that’s just lunacy - they need to call it off and void it so the general public don’t think the football season is starting again in 2/3 weeks or whenever - it’s off indefinitely they just have not announced it
Football is not straying up again in April. That's wishful thinking and simply not viable.

Null and void is the only way to go here. As many have already said, football ain’t starting up anytime soon. To even consider it feasible to complete 19/20 season now is deluded thinking.

Obviously this pales into insignificance against the battle we face against covid-19, but nonetheless the timplosion is going to be epic to watch unfold!

Where has this 'Sky and BT will need paid back' come from? Genuine question.

They are still being paid monthly subscriptions (kudos to sky for pausing their subs) and will have made millions in advertising for ad breaks, etc for games that have been paid.

Granted they will be at a loss for the next few months with no live sport being played but I dont see how that equates to them being paid back for the games played so far.

Makes no sense. I'd like this season to be played to a conclusion but I cant see how that can happen, given that it looks like June at the earliest before a ball could be kicked.

Binning this season across the board looks like the only logical way of getting everything back to schedule across world football.

We all know if we were at the top of the league it would have been declared null and void an hour after the first case of the virus was announced in Scotland. We have a bigger battle all over the world and all our energy should be used to help our friends and families get through these hard times. The scum will be more concerned about 9 in a row when most of Scotlands population are digging deep to fight against this horrible virus. Well done to the NHS and all the key workers, we will soon see what's more important to the scum and all their followers as they cant help themselves.

They still are playing a wait and see game as they should.
The longer this goes on though it will have to be scrapped imo.
Even next season might have to start a lot later.

Fed up now of the celtc apologists being rolled out day after day spouting their title claims. There looks like there’s no way the outstanding matches can be played within a meaningful timeframe - let a decision be made now, just void the season and look forward to an eventual resumption of football with a clean sheet.

Where has this 'Sky and BT will need paid back' come from? Genuine question.

They are still being paid monthly subscriptions (kudos to sky for pausing their subs) and will have made millions in advertising for ad breaks, etc for games that have been paid.

Granted they will be at a loss for the next few months with no live sport being played but I dont see how that equates to them being paid back for the games played so far.

Makes no sense. I'd like this season to be played to a conclusion but I cant see how that can happen, given that it looks like June at the earliest before a ball could be kicked.

Binning this season across the board looks like the only logical way of getting everything back to schedule across world football.

Agreed. If Sky and BT get paid back for games already played (which I just cannot see happening) then surely it would make sense that as a subscriber to both I should receive part refund of my monthly subs from August to March.

Think there is a growing feeling that some sports are taking themselves far to seriously at a time when the World is in crisis and in the past few days there has been a noticeable momentum shift in England that perhaps calling the season null and void should be considered.

The one problem is that no one knows just how long normal life will be on hold. I can perfectly understand that those in power would not want to act to hastily by calling the season null and void at this time just in case there is the slightest chance that the crisis is over quicker than the experts are predicting (no matter how remote).

I've had a celtic fan tell me that Liverpool should be awarded it, God knows what his motive for that was though
I think Liverpool should be awarded if all the other teams in the Epl agree to it , which i think they would , everyone agrees they are deserved winners and are too far ahead. Totally different story to up here though.

Back