Guardian - lengthy article on Celtic Boys Club abuse

Those poor boys, it's absolutely heartbreaking and to hear of the recent social media and real life abuse and blanking of people standing up for justice really exposes the Celtic family for what they really are.

My main thoughts are always with the victims, I don't really care so much what happens to them from a footballing perspective but when a large institution has actively covered up such awful crimes then that institution should cease to exist.

If the court determines the parent club as having known what was happening and did nothing for the express reason of protecting the club's reputation then every single trophy they have won since 1978 is fraudulent. Had the allegations come to light the club's reputation would have suffered and its entirely likely they'd have ended up like Third Lanark. They would absolutely have not survived the 90s.

My direct hope is for the club to accept their responsibility, admit to the world that they knew what was going on and provide huge compensation for the families whilst acknowledging it won't make it right. Following on from that, I hope their club is ground into the filthy dirt from whence it came.

I've politely challenged their fans in the past to acknowledge the club's responsibility and asked if they would consider boycotting the club in pursuit of justice (since they care so much about justice). Unfortunately they don't care one bit. They're a huge part of the problem.

This may be a bit far out of an opinion but I believe that every single person who puts on one of their tops or defends the club is completely culpable. You can't talk about the systematic oppression of the Palestinian people or take the knee (both things I support) and ignore possibly the biggest scandal in Scottish history. Not sporting history, but history full stop. No other institution in the country has had the decades long protection of a society despite being so overwhelmingly guilty. It's not just the club who should hang their heads, every journalist and politican who protected them should be ashamed and held to account.

This will never be a problem for Celtic until they accept liability for the wrong doing. Very sad state of affairs. Sickening a heart wrenching read
I have still to meet a Celtic fan who will acknowledge that their club knowingly protected paedophiles.Maybe I move in small circles and only know a few but the only response I ever get is deflect and deny

Agreed though,I lost it a wee bit at reading Andrew Grays last words on his deathbed.I hope these victims finally get the justice they deserve and any institution that protects paedophiles needs to be shut down

I've asked this question before & I'll ask it again, what sort of sub human scum puts the interests of a sports team before those of dozens if not hundreds of molested children?
Those of a certain cult who have been doing it for centuries...

Its why a Scottish Government review into historic child abuse excludes both religious and sporting institutions.

Protection of the cult and protection of votes.

Will this see the inside of a court room or will the victims get an out of court apology and damages?

I'd be hoping any damages is way north of what Salmond was awarded recently.

I still don't think for a second there will be any football sanctions unfortunately.

Over the years we've all heard bits and pieces but when listed like that it makes for a very hard read.

I truely hope that the victims have their day in court and justice is served up in a double portion.

Will that let them move on? I have no idea but it's the least they deserve.

What a heartbreaking article. Interesting that Stein is alleged to have sacked Torbett and yet it is claimed that the club is a separate entity. Who interviewed the replacement candidates?
If Stein sacked Torbett then that proves he, as a senior employee at Celtic, had the authority to terminate the employment of a senior employee at the Boy's Club. It blows the separate entity argument out of the water.

Not an easy read that and can only hope that all the victims finally get the justice they deserve. Astonishing to think the SFA have still not published their report and the Scottish government are still refusing to have a public enquiry into the biggest scandal in the history of Scottish sport.

I coudn’t even finish reading the article. Totally unacceptable what has happened to these poor youngsters. It has blighted their lives for ever. The mentally challengeds deserve a Penn State punishment. Even then it would never be enough to make up for what has happened at that Club. I for one would not miss playing against them.

It really has to be hoped that wives and families of players read that article or become aware of that, and ask the players in all seriousness how they can justify being a part of that insidious organisation.

Even better if a Guardian journalist challenges them, and shoves a microphone in their face, and asks them how they would feel if one of their own children was subjected to abuse like that.

The Scottish football authorities and Scottish government should hang their heads in shame.
There will surely come a time when the instinct for self preservation within the sfa will outweigh any obligation of protection they have afforded pedo FC. My own feeling is that day is fast approaching and they will drop them like a stone.

We have witnessed a BLM stance for some time now, there should be a nationwide campaign for Children's lives Matter based on this story. Those mhutant bastards (every one of them) have it in their DNA from priest to giro collector to commit atrocities. How on earth can you pay money to a club who wrecked countless innocent childrens lives. Shame on you filthy bastards if you are reading this

A truly heartbreaking read -
The truth is what matters & the attempts to hide that truth should never be allowed to succeed

That's the Times & the Guardian both now printing extensive articles on this sickening story

So in some respect- why would it matter if the pathetic excuse that masquerades as journalism in Scotland - continues to ignore it & effectively contribute to the cover-up ?

At the very least the silence from them let's everyone know where their allegiencies lie & that they can't be trusted to report the truth

The Guardian article is the first time I've seen in print the probability of the Bennell connection - although anyone with half a brain cell would have suspected it - & I may just have missed it elsewhere

But surely now this can't possibly be treated as a series of unrelated crimes - but a highly organised ring operating under a cloak of impunity provided by the club, it's officials at every level & even aided by others in external higher places

The victims must be thinking - when will this ever be properly dealt with ?
When will our nightmare be treated seriously ?
What will it take to make people listen ?

All the victims have my deepest sympathy, respect & admiration
I can only hope this article helps take one more step on this ridiculously long journey

Last edited:
sick to my stomach reading that.
I hope these people have their day in court soon and get the justice they seek and perhaps some closure.

Shudder.
That was a tough read.

Sympathies to all the victims and their families.
Hope you get justice and the perpetrators of all the agonies, including whoever dreamed up that "separate entity" bullshit get f'ing hammered.

Very good article and it just highlights the extent of the abuse and the cover ups

Im sure the SFA child abuse review was set up in 2016 and is still not published but if the rumours of the mentally challengeds lawyers getting an advance copy to redact parts of it should be another story itself

Giving a club with 6 associated employees already convicted is a joke

When the report is published Martin Henry’s background and suitability should be questioned given his links to James Rennie and Neil Strachan and their paedo ring activities

Good luck to Gordon and all the victims and families in their court battle
Why do you really think Henry was appointed in the first place. A patsy because of his past. You’d be as well conducting getting Steven Hawking to conduct a report into the earth being flat. The report will be seen to be lacking, the SFA will stand back and point in Henry’s direction. All quite purposeful.

They don’t get the problem here.
In a nutshell here, these people can be everywhere and anywhere.
You just don’t know.
It’s what you do when you find out that is the issue.
Doing nothing is not an option.
Hiding it worse.
And these two are only the tip of the iceberg as far as Celtic is concerned.
As usual with most guilty people, they accuse others of exactly what they are prone to do. All along they have been accusing Rangers fans of point-scoring when it was a known fact around Glasgow what was going on. Now their tendency to say 'what about Rangers' is exactly what they accused us of all those years: point-scoring and deflection.

A club open to all. Really. A club that turns away victims of abuse when in their care. A club that refuses to accept its responsibilities.

Victims have a life sentence. There are others still at that club that knew and did nothing. They are as bad as the abusers.
The truly sad part is that they have handed out death sentences as well to people who never had the chance to speak up that is heartbreaking, a life for vile gratification. They must go.

Why do you really think Henry was appointed in the first place. A patsy because of his past. You’d be as well conducting getting Steven Hawking to conduct a report into the earth being flat. The report will be seen to be lacking, the SFA will stand back and point in Henry’s direction. All quite purposeful.
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he was hand picked due to blackmail of some sort although I may just be paranoid.

That’s a very well written and factual summary of the level horror and cover up that has been in place for a large period of time to the victims no words can compensate for what they endured

Celtic football club shame on you for allowing this to continue

Heartbreaking. I will never understand how anyone can support a paedophile, makes them as guilty as the predator and they are for watching too. Just can’t put into words how sad I feel for the families, when you read all about Gordon and Andrew.

It’s pretty obvious the SFA are now facilitating in the cover up by withholding the report for proper scrutiny but are letting their freinds at Celtic scrutinise it first. Lawell was on the SFA board recently along with other celtic men?

As usual with most guilty people, they accuse others of exactly what they are prone to do. All along they have been accusing Rangers fans of point-scoring when it was a known fact around Glasgow what was going on. Now their tendency to say 'what about Rangers' is exactly what they accused us of all those years: point-scoring and deflection.
Graeme Spiers invented the work “whataboutery” when he accused Rangers fans of sectarian singing.
Keevins and co jumped in on it.
Never heard of since.
I guess this shouldn’t surprise anybody as the whole scandal is never discussed.

It’s pretty obvious the SFA are now facilitating in the cover up by withholding the report for proper scrutiny but are letting their freinds at Celtic scrutinise it first. Lawell was on the SFA board recently along with other celtic men?

Lawwell replaced Robertson on the SPFL Board recently, but you’re still right when they have Mulraney & Doncaster on the SFA Board.

Celtic and the Vatican corrupt to the core.
Yep, you've read this kind of story a hundred times before as regards the catholic church.

We'll deal with it, no need for outside interference. They see themselves as a higher power than the law of many countries.

Even after that, they get moved onto other places to carry on, and torbett, he even gets to return and carry on where he left off.

People saying nobody at parkhead was aware of his goings on before, please dont insult our intelligence.

Anyone have today’s Guardian printed edition and confirm the article Is included ?

also I’m not seeing it linked to the Guardian news / sport / football pages which would help the story’s circulation as I would say Henry McDonald has done a good job of promoting the drive for Justice against the prevailing system

Lawwell replaced Robertson on the SPFL Board recently, but you’re still right when they have Mulraney & Doncaster on the SFA Board.

from sfa site these are the board members

One point of possible interest is Celtic’s representative is from there Legal function - Michael Nicholson - would be no surprise if that has tactical significance

Personally I reckon the earlier poster made a vital point - all of there club executive and those on the boards at spfl / sfa should be removed and replaced by a regime who will deal with this without any Conflicts of Interest and Political / Reputational coverup . This has to be unequivocally cleared up .

Last edited:
Has anyone asked Chris Sutton if he would have signed if he had known what we know now?

The arbiters of morality should be questioned, some might surprise and help get justice.

Others will make clear what their values truly are.

They don’t get the problem here.
In a nutshell here, these people can be everywhere and anywhere.
You just don’t know.
It’s what you do when you find out that is the issue.
Doing nothing is not an option.
Hiding it worse.
And these two are only the tip of the iceberg as far as Celtic is concerned.
Extremely well summed up.
Excellent post.

One point of possible interest is Celtic’s representative is from there Legal function - Michael Nicholson - would be no surprise if that has tactical significance

Personally I reckon the earlier poster made a vital point - all of there club executive and those on the boards at spfl / sfa should be removed and replaced by a regime who will deal with this without any Conflicts of Interest and Political / Reputational coverup . This has to unequivocall cleared up .
How is that not a conflict of interest?

Haven't you heard, its a separate entity?
Haven't you heard, its a separate entity?

Celtic are in the dock in terms of accusations. Their club Secretary and legal advisors should be nowhere near this and the SFA should be applying good corporate governance by declaring that they are not. Has this report been released to any employees of Celtic football club? If so who and why and has conflict of interest been declared? If not why not?

It’s a question that the lawyers and leaders of the victims may want to ask publicly.

Please let justice be done for these innocent wee boys - how anyone could argue the case fir Celtic I don’t know . I’ve said before they can shout and demand outside the stag oil fir new managers or sack the board but are strangely silent about demanding an enquiry into the allegations which they claim would clear the club - so what are they afraid off? Rancid people following a rancid club

Personally I reckon the earlier poster made a vital point - all of there club executive and those on the boards at spfl / sfa should be removed and replaced by a regime who will deal with this without any Conflicts of Interest and Political / Reputational coverup . This has to be unequivocally cleared up .

Yes, great point.

Back