GVB gameplan?

It’s all about opinions mate. Think you’re being a bit harsh on Gio though. He has navigated is through a real bunch of difficult fixtures at a time when the team was looking a little bit out of sorts and shipping sift goals. We maybe are not as east on the sue but our backbone is back in place and that will stand us in good stead moving forward.
Hopefully mate, tonight was never going to be 4 or 5 so agree with a lot of what you say (in fixing the issues we had at the back first)

Beat then next week and I’ll forget about the last few games :)

Livingston are a hard team to beat in the conditions of tonight. I’d not read too much into it, 3 points is all that matters.
I think sometimes folks forget that, Livi are a tough nut to crack, them smelly bastards have no beaten them for how long now? a well drilled defensive unit will make it hard for anybody, obviously we need to improve, that fooking early winter break did us no favours

I think sometimes folks forget that, Livi are a tough nut to crack, them smelly bastards have no beaten them for how long now? a well drilled defensive unit will make it hard for anybody, obviously we need to improve, that fooking early winter break did us no favours
I do agree but there are signs that this is becoming a little bit of a trend.

Little concerning but not panicking yet, lots of players to come back into the fold starting Saturday.

Obviously I’m chuffed with the three points tonight, but it was another frustrating performance.

I know we have injuries and conditions were poor but I cannot understand how GVB wants to play seems very slow and no link up at all.

Thoughts?

You answered your own question in your second sentence ffs.

Tonight could be crucial in respect of him witnessing first hand that using Tav and Borna as wingers will win us matches until such times as he finds elite wingers to purchase.

There was a clear change second half.

Well done to the half dozen players that took charge of the situation

I’ve already posted previously we should be both concerned and happy that we took 7 points from Hibs Hearts Aberdeen away creating about 6 chances in 3 matches.

He doesn’t want to play 2 defensive midfielders, he said himself tonight sometimes you need to pick who is available. With Hagi out, Bacuna away, Aribo not ready, Arfield and Jack not fully fit, he’s pretty limited on who he can pick.

End of the day, that’s 9 league games with 8 wins and 1 dodgy clancy special draw. Keep this win rate up till the end of the season and we’re comfortably champions.

A bit concerned with the lack of midfielders in the hole in front of the defence. Jack came on and filled that hole perfectly. Classy player is Ryan.

Slow & predictable.

Not for the first time under Gio either, we need to sort that or we'll drop more points soon.

There seems to be a disconnect in transition from midfield to the forwards.

But it's 3 points again in a game that was always going to be tough given the circumstances so he deserves some credit.

No idea what his plan is, except the part where he stops our assist machine Tav getting forward.

Thats not wise.
He obviously wants to replace our width from the full backs, to width from wingers. Presumably, to be more secure at the back.
Understandable, but trouble is, we're losing out on some great crossing from both, and more importantly, we don't have 2 good quality wingers, yet.
That right winger, is becoming desperate, but should be using Tav in a more forward position, at the moment.
Especially, when using 2 holding players at home, against defensive teams.

Problem is he wants the full backs to play as full backs.

Does he not know Tav and Barisic have as many assists as anyone in our squad. They are built for attacking not defending.

One paced and predictable all night, play a number 9 against a giant of a centre half and have no one within 50 yards of him.

No midfield control what so ever again.

Another horrible watch.

Obviously I’m chuffed with the three points tonight, but it was another frustrating performance.

I know we have injuries and conditions were poor but I cannot understand how GVB wants to play seems very slow and no link up at all.

Thoughts?
Far too passive for my liking.

To win games with another manager’s players, doing exceptionally well so far. Been no £20m+ chequebook all to be 4 points behind
Our new attacking signing(s)this window will give us a clue to the style he will stamp on the team in the summer. Hopefully as double league winners. He’s got far more out of Tav, Goldson, Bassey, Borna. Kamara, Aribo, Arfield and Alfie in his spell over Gerrards early season performances. He’s making what we have, better

Terrible conditions, ten men behind the ball and a number of players off the boil. Just a recipe for a draw. We needed this result tonight. Livingston were there to spoil the game. That bit of magic might spur us on.

He obviously wants to replace our width from the full backs, to width from wingers. Presumably, to be more secure at the back.
Understandable, but trouble is, we're losing out on some great crossing from both, and more importantly, we don't have 2 good quality wingers, yet.
That right winger, is becoming desperate, but should be using Tav in a more forward position, at the moment.
Especially, when using 2 holding players at home, against defensive teams.
Tavs an assist and numbers machine until we can get a right winger that can score and assist we should be using Tav in the roll he was playing in under gerrard.

Tavs an assist and numbers machine until we can get a right winger that can score and assist we should be using Tav in the roll he was playing in under gerrard.
That role that saw us lose 13 goals in as many games and be 3 down in a semi final after 30 mins? Teams got wise to the bombing fullbacks. They started playing balls down the channels and had Goldson and Bassey facing their own goal all the time. We were beginning to look so stretched. Gio has come in, shored our defence up and is putting a run together that will propel us to the league title.

His team needs to move the ball quicker. Far too passive and cautious but we saw the same under Gerrard.

Morelos plays tonight and he has a hattrick.

Very difficult conditions for fast and accurate passing.

That said, I was alarmed at how often the ball was given to Bassey to get things moving.

Playing 2 DMs means we should have both full backs further forward and our front players can press higher up the park. Our problem is we are quite labourerd in our pressing and we stand off our opponents and allow them to have time on the ball which in turn gives the opposition confidence. We also don't move the ball quick enough
If the injuries mean we had to play Sands and Kamara then you’re spot on, the full backs need to push on.
The midfielders can cover the full back if required.
I’ve also seen a few posters saying Kamara played further forward, which should never happen. I like Kamara but he offers nothing in an attacking sense and Sands looks like he’s there to eventually replace Him if we do sell.

Can see he wants to play with width and wingers but probably does need to lean on what we do have more.

I’m not convinced putting as much a leash on Tav going forward is a great idea
Agreed. If we don't sign a RW I'd be tempted to play Roofe a little narrow beside Alfie and give Tav licence to bomb on.

10 men behind the ball and we still managed to create at least 3 tap in chances that weren’t taken and also had a shot cleared off the line. It could’ve and should’ve been more than 1-0 but I’ll take it!

GVB has stopped us conceding daft goals. He hasn’t lost a single game, won 9, drawn 2. He’s introduced what looks like a very talented youngster in Lowry into the first team squad, which is encouraging. Overall, positive in my opinion.

As for last night, injuries and absences contributed to his selection. Even so, while we only managed a 1-0 win, several chances were created that should have been put away and made it a more comfortable win. Itten is clearly not good enough (or not fit/sharp enough currently, but that would be being kind) and the jury is out on Wright too, plenty of effort but limited return. We badly miss Morelos, Kent and Aribo when they are absent. We have no replacements at their level.

I thought at times in the game we played well

Some good chances were created and squandered. The conditions were awful and made things a lot more laboured.

That said, we allowed livi to press us high whereas we sat off their players and allowed them time to readjust. It was noticeable when Roofe came on that he pressed their keeper and defenders more and was urging his reluctant team mates to help out.

I struggled to see the tactics from an attacking perspective and it looked like it was heading for a frustrating evening until he made the changes.

I’ll give you a clue as to the game plan OP … there wasn’t one.

Both Bassey & Goldson stepping up to the halfway line trying to play passes that Kamara & Sands should be making.

Apart from the one-touch move between Wright & Tav first half, the goal & then Sakala’s 35 yard run & shot I saw very little evidence of real quality last night.

Just because we had some people missing doesn’t mean we needed 2 water carriers at home to Livingston. Kamara is naturally a DM but if you’ve ever watched a Finland game he performs more a box-to-box role than a defensive midfielder. No reason why he couldn’t have been asked to do that last night.

Scott Wright running into men & overrunning the ball several times was utterly depressing to watch. Itten - as much as I think he offers something - looked so far off the pace it was scary. Roofe must start against Ross County & the scum otherwise our attack is utterly blunt, barring a mazy run from a wide player like Sakala showed last night.

Think it was more down to the personnel than the shape. Kamara was uncharacteristically giving the ball away quite often and I don't see what Sands adds at all.

We were losing goals right, left and center at the start of the season and no one on here was happy about it. Nor should they have been btw.

He has had to come in and quickly tighten things up which he has done well, very well actually, the goals against have all but dried up. The defensive side of our play is much improved.

Now we need to get the forwards buying into and carrying out instructions in the final third of the park.

It is a process. It will take some time. Almost definitely some money and new players as well who are better suited to what GVB wants to do.

We are still transitioning between managers and styles of play and still picking up points.

When was a game against Livingston in a rain soaked gale ever anything other than turgid?

If anyone can point to a beautiful game of football played against 'Livi', fark not even just by us by anyone, then i will start to panic. Can't see that happening though.

Thoughts?
We are far too slow. We have also discarded of the high press and allow the opposition to take the ball from their own box without any pressure.

We rarely up the pace.

No idea what his plan is, except the part where he stops our assist machine Tav getting forward.

Thats not wise.

To be fair he's the Rangers manager who has taken 25 points from 27 available to him so he clearly does have a plan.

You probably can't see it as you're some random messagboard fan who knows absolute eff all about the game but think you do.

It's not wise to be so stupid.

Agree with this. My one slight criticism would be that the FBs could have been pushed further forward since we had 2 DMs at home to a team that’s mostly looking to defend.

Judge it when he has at least 2 of
Morelos, Arfield, Aribo, Kent, Jack available to start.

Forced to start with 2 DMs tonight.

Last night was about getting the three points given the conditions and how many key attacking players were not available.

I'm still more concerned by how he opted to sit so deep at Pittodrie in the second half. That's my only red flag with Gio so far.

Thoughts?
I think personally that the issue he he currently has a style of play (wide wingers) that we do not yet have the players to accomodate. Kent is fine on the left but we have nobody good enough on the right for that.

As a result, our number 10 often has to go out wide to help. This also makes there be a large gap between the holding mid and the forward line, evident against dons, hibs and last night. Obviously again this is due to players missing.

I think if we are to use this system, he must get 1 or 2 quality players in otherwise I am not a big fan of it long term as I dont think it suits our players. The old saying 'you can only pish wae the cock you've got' springs to mind'.

Also, I would like us to always push for a second goal and a third to kill teams off before we 'go for the zero'. Goal difference could be key and it would certainly stop me from hyperventilating in the broomloan every time a team get a set play at 1-0!

Last night was poor but remember we started without Kent, Aribo, Alfie, Roofe, Arfield and Hagi.

That's 6 of our most attacking players.

Any team would struggle a bit.

To be fair he's the Rangers manager who has taken 25 points from 27 available to him so he clearly does have a plan.

You probably can't see it as you're some random messagboard fan who knows absolute eff all about the game but think you do.

It's not wise to be so stupid.
Crazy to be that angry at 8am.

Stupidity gets on my nerves no matter the time.
Yeah, keeping the best assister in the league, and our biggest creative outlet, behind the half way line is indeed stupidity.

If you want to do that, sign wingers who can assist. Wright & Sakala can’t.

From what you see in training etc, it'd seem Gio wants us to play the opposite of that, fast one touch football, rondo drills constantly.

However, that can't always translate to games. You can see the approach he wants. But when you've ten behind the ball you kind of have to hit and hope and poke and prod
Without doubt this is what GVB is trying to achieve, but given the weather and playing conditions last night, slick one-touch football was impractical. Sometimes, given the prevailing weather, and the absence of some key players, the win is all that matters.

Back