H&H update today

I’ve never wanted CL, it’s above the level of squad we can afford. I want to go watch Rangers win, I got more excited for qots than Napoli. Rather be in a competitive situation than take tankings for cash (that isn’t really there)
I enjoyed the Napoli game as they had real quality and I’m a football fan. Best game I’ve seen in years quality wise

I enjoyed the Napoli game as they had real quality and I’m a football fan. Best game I’ve seen in years quality wise
I can’t imagine enjoying a defeat. Sorry that’s just not something I can ever see myself saying after a Rangers game that a loss was entertaining.

I can’t imagine enjoying a defeat. Sorry that’s just not something I can ever see myself saying after a Rangers game that a loss was entertaining.

Napoli weren’t even that good.

I don’t think they were better than Benfica, Leverkusen, Dortmund or Leipzig who we’ve all played in the past few seasons in the EL.

Reactions: TPP
Whilst in general terms the support might be more clued up in financial terms there is a rump that don’t get it still. There’s a post on this thread saying again why didn’t we spend to compete in the CL.

Fundamentally there is still a % that don’t get the scale of how financially stretched we are.
I’m not a big fan of the Boards strategy but I don’t think they are sitting on money. So I’m sorry there is just moaning for the sake of it.

Obviously though we get to the core point though of how the football operations are ran and I get and agree on that being scrutinised.

The difficulty we have is the Board are not going to publicise what concerns they have even if they rated Wilson like everyone else they will be waiting to see if the new signings start to deliver.
So there is a degree of spin it is inevitable . They will know a level of detail we don’t. That’s part of the problem in a modern club.

Ultimately the results will dictate the mood but nothing has changed in a lot of the support there’s no genuine interest in the detail-not really

We did spend

We spent 10m on 2 players the manager blatantly doesn’t want

Imagine where we would be with 2 players in that range that he did want ?!

The whole thing is utter madness and only ends one way

That’s fine. I saw someone saying they’d rather watch us beat QOTS
Watching fluidity and players playing with their heads up was great to watch. Also showed how most of our players had heads down and little appreciation of teammates positioning etc. I was gutted we didn’t win , doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the football. The night Del Piero’s Juve took us apart at Ibrox was a close up look at world class. I can’t understand football fans who don’t want to see that tbh.

We did spend

We spent 10m on 2 players the manager blatantly doesn’t want

Imagine where we would be with 2 players in that range that he did want ?!

The whole thing is utter madness and only ends one way
I was quoting someone else on the spending I’ve already said if we have a poor season then whoever is responsible for the spending will go if those players continue not to play.

Do we know 100% how the recruitment works? Are you certain Gio didn’t have last say?

If you wanna happy claps through 3 and 4 nil defeats clap away. This is going to be the most miserable European campaign in 5 years and I can’t see why anyone wants to play at a level we can’t compete at
We can compete though. We’ve just built a squad that can’t.

My biggest concern over the last couple of days is the board seem to think Wilson is doing well but in reality we have cashed in big on a few players that he didn’t really have anything to do with

Meanwhile his success rate in the transfer market is about 1 in 6 and multiple other players have deteriorated in value massively because we havent sold them at the right time or extended contracts

Still my biggest concern too. For the time period and where we were still shopping, Mark Allan was far superior.

Wilson throughout his career, hasn't really done anything.

Let's be honest for a minute, he went from Falkirk to Southampton, and recommended that Southampton sign Rangers and Celtic players, the biggest of those deals now obviously playing for Liverpool.

And after those initial few years at Southampton after Liverpool hoovered everything off them, he done nothing.

Their supporters were glad to be getting rid of him, but we lauded him as the next best thing since sliced bread.

And the board still are.

That’s fine. I saw someone saying they’d rather watch us beat QOTS
Watching fluidity and players playing with their heads up was great to watch. Also showed how most of our players had heads down and little appreciation of teammates positioning etc. I was gutted we didn’t win , doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the football. The night Del Piero’s Juve took us apart at Ibrox was a close up look at world class. I can’t understand football fans who don’t want to see that tbh.
Na I still can’t have that you preferred watching opposition players run rings around us to Rangers scoring 4 goals and cruising. I can’t even begin to imagine walking out thinking it’s been a good night as we got hammered with style. Best leave it here

I can't imagine settling for less than the best and not pushing ourselves to compete at the very top level.

Can't get my head around those who'd rather we be in a significantly lesser competition...

It's just not the Rangers' way. No Surrender, an all that... But each to their own, I guess.

I can't imagine settling for less than the best and not pushing ourselves to compete at the very top level.

Can't get my head around those who'd rather we be in a significantly lesser competition...

It's just not the Rangers' way. No Surrender, an all that... But each to their own, I guess.
Glorious defeatism is a poison and I’d be sickened to be part of a wider “happy to be here” support in games we have no chance in. Hope the club shop sells Glengarry with big feathers for the fans happy to settle for that to make them easy to identify

Glorious defeatism is a poison and I’d be sickened to be part of a wider “happy to be here” support in games we have no chance in. Hope the club shop sells Glengarry with big feathers for the fans happy to settle for that to make them easy to identify
I think you're picking me up wrong.

I wasn't glorifying defeat. I just don't think it's acceptable to not want us to qualify for the best club tournament in world football because we might get howked.

It's shit hawkery and, like I said, simply not in keeping with the standards of this club which has always been to strive for the very best.

I was quoting someone else on the spending I’ve already said if we have a poor season then whoever is responsible for the spending will go if those players continue not to play.

Do we know 100% how the recruitment works? Are you certain Gio didn’t have last say?

Folk are falling over themselves to pin all of this on Wilson.

The idea that a guy of Gio's rep in football isn't having a major say in our signings is bonkers.

So we aren’t competing. Thanks for agreeing
How do you improve though? Through extra money. The UCL brings that. Look at other non T5 league sides, they do relatively well in the UCL. We need to aspire to be like them and that only happens through continuous UCL qualification. Would a young player rather play UCL or UEL?

How do you improve though? Through extra money. The UCL brings that. Look at other non T5 league sides, they do relatively well in the UCL. We need to aspire to be like them and that only happens through continuous UCL qualification. Would a young player rather play UCL or UEL?
Have you missed the last two weeks? We ain’t making better money. Any player worth their salt wants to win, I don’t fall for the Cl attraction to come to us, it’s 6 games outta 50, players go where the money is right.

Napoli weren’t even that good.

I don’t think they were better than Benfica, Leverkusen, Dortmund or Leipzig who we’ve all played in the past few seasons in the EL.
Things went their way against us. Just about everything actually went their way.

On another night we could have beaten them.

I’ve never wanted CL, it’s above the level of squad we can afford. I want to go watch Rangers win, I got more excited for qots than Napoli. Rather be in a competitive situation than take tankings for cash (that isn’t really there)
Step away from the internet.

For a start, we were fvcking awful against QOTS. We might have beat them in the end, but we played far better against a top quality Napoli side that are currently the best team in Serie A.

I'd suggest that although we ended up getting beat 0-3 in the end, it was a far more credible performance than that of our QOTS one. The fact that we'd been hammered and were absolutely rotten in our two games prior to Napoli, undoubtedly made it looked far worse than what it was.

I'd also suggest that a side that gets to a Europa League final last season, does belong in the CL group stages this year. Several clubs that we've went toe to toe with in the past few years in Europa League are scattered around the CL groups. Why should we not be there too?

Also, in order for us to become stronger and get to the next level in terms of competing better in the CL groups, we need the finances that European football brings. Just because we're not getting the pie in the sky £40m that the media ran with - purely because they thought it was only the other mob getting there may I add - we're still getting more than we would if we qualified for the Europa League, unless you think we'd have reached the final again.

I can remember when we played Juventus. Wasn’t enjoyable but it was curious (if that’s the right word) seeing a team play at such a different level. We as a crowd were very respectful with them as the difference was huge.

The champions league income has been well documented. The suggested £40m was always balls and came from media guesswork
Keevins kept rolling it out when his team were in it and we weren't. It somehow started going back down the way when we were there. Hate the old bastard.

Unfortunately the CL money will not be reported in the accounts up to the end of June, it'll be next year. Even the sales of Bassey and Aribo will not make those accounts, so in essence the accounts will probably make for only moderate reading. As for the AGM, as others have stated before it's not usual for the AGM to be run in a manner where you get to ask the real marked question.

I said something on a different thread a while back. Making comments on financials in advance of releasing the audited numbers formally is just not done. But by talking about the CL money they have avoided that as the CL money will be in next years accounts. But they genuinely cannot make statements that can be in any way misconstrued as that would leave them in breach of market regulations and could impact share price. Let's be honest, what did we actually learn from what the Bennett said? I learned nothing new. As for Robertson, I think he would probably be a good COO but we need a hard hitting CEO at the helm, I will not cite Lawwell as a good example because from what I could glean he milked the filth for his entire tenure because for so many years there was no us in the SPL, so he could. But what he did do and we still suffer from it now, was manoeuvre himself into very good positions in the game to ensure the filth could influence matters their way. Our board may all be great business men in their own field, but none of them is skilled at running a club of our stature in the cesspit of a league we are in. We need someone who knows those dark arts and can start to influence for us.

In these days of social media the club had to do something, because we have had people on here as clued up in our finances as we have had in the past tims, who knew someone, who knew someone else who knew we were going bust. No one knows the inner finances of our club, no one knows that its maybe agents not players that cause the contract headaches, no one knows how much has had to be spent to just keep the stadium and the training ground running. We moan about the ticket office, well guess what, when that gets fixed its gonna cost and it won't be cheap, the sort of software we are talking about could easily drive 7 figure licence fees a year as it's a complex coding that will be needed. As we found out with Aribo and the release fee, no one knows what others like that might exist. We got lucky with Bassey, had we gotten him signed to a longer term deal, he might have had a £10m release clause, he didn't thank god and we got £20m, but I suspect we got no more than a third of that upfront, with the rest on instalments over his contract. There are so many fucking imponderables that for people just to randomly pick one thing each time and tear the arse out of it is frankly crazy.

We have come a long way since 2012, and we've done it faster than I thought. I genuinely worried that we could have been 15 years trying to claw our way back. But some gambles were taken and here we are, back at the top table (albeit experiencing painful pumpings). But seemingly forgetting the pain we felt not that long ago and needing to know that it will not be repeated, we cannot allow a repeat of the Murray years.

I expect I'll get some stick for this as it will no doubt render me the "happy clapper" - but I have an opinion like everyone else.
If I win the lottery tonight, I'm blasting thru 20g of prop tonight with my mates despite no having the money yet!!!!

Still my biggest concern too. For the time period and where we were still shopping, Mark Allan was far superior.

Wilson throughout his career, hasn't really done anything.

Let's be honest for a minute, he went from Falkirk to Southampton, and recommended that Southampton sign Rangers and Celtic players, the biggest of those deals now obviously playing for Liverpool.

And after those initial few years at Southampton after Liverpool hoovered everything off them, he done nothing.

Their supporters were glad to be getting rid of him, but we lauded him as the next best thing since sliced bread.

And the board still are.
Wilson was in charge of none of that at Southampton and he was at Huddersfield before them.

A good manager doesn't need a DOF, it's a veneer to make us look as if we have a forward thinking structure when in reality our recruitment at senior level is a f ucking mess.

Talks a good game does RW but knows as much about football as the paying punter.

Wilson was in charge of none of that at Southampton and he was at Huddersfield before them.

A good manager doesn't need a DOF, it's a veneer to make us look as if we have a forward thinking structure when in reality our recruitment at senior level is a f ucking mess.

Talks a good game does RW but knows as much about football as the paying punter.
Agreed. Also, surely the idea is that the director of football and scouting team are always looking for players that are value and fit with our ethos?
After qualifying for champions League there was noone, absolutely noone on their lists????

Back