H&H update today

JDC76

Official Ticketer
First of all David E sounded pretty rough today so hope he feels better soon. Secondly I thought the points he made about the Bennet and Robertson interviews were spot on. Particularly his comments about supporters being far more clued up about finances than in years gone by. This is a key point the club should be mindful of. I find the tone can be patronising sometimes and a bit like a nice pat on the head for the fans and send them on their way if we throw them some titbits here and there. The days of believing everything without question are gone and should never come back. It’s a step in the right direction but only that from the club. We need this to continue and transparency (where appropriate) on finances. The CL money misinformation was a real blunder. I’m hoping the AGM will allow an open discussion on key issues. That’s the next test.

First of all David E sounded pretty rough today so hope he feels better soon. Secondly I thought the points he made about the Bennet and Robertson interviews were spot on. Particularly his comments about supporters being far more clued up about finances than in years gone by. This is a key point the club should be mindful of. I find the tone can be patronising sometimes and a bit like a nice pat on the head for the fans and send them on their way if we throw them some titbits here and there. The days of believing everything without question are gone and should never come back. It’s a step in the right direction but only that from the club. We need this to continue and transparency (where appropriate) on finances. The CL money misinformation was a real blunder. I’m hoping the AGM will allow an open discussion on key issues. That’s the next test.
What was the CL misinformation blunder mate? I missed that.

One of the things that occurred to me during David’s commentary was that it might well be worth the club having scheduled updates for the fans.

For example, every international break there could easily be an update involving the manager/Wilson and Bennett or another board member.

As soon as the financials are produced on an annual basis the club needs to provide an insightful commentary to accompany them prior to the AGM.

And of course if there are any specific events that require commentary, the club should be ready and able to provide an appropriate response.

I know they say they don’t want to respond to everything, but today’s ridiculous ‘story’ in the Scottish Sun linking Rangers to the commercial Director sacked by Chelsea is exactly the type of thing that there should be an immediate comment about.
If I was in charge of PR, and I’ve got a history of this area, I would’ve issued a statement saying the club is going to demand an immediate apology from the Scottish Sun for publishing a story that deliberately intends to damage the brand of Rangers FC.
‘Should a fulsome apology and retraction not be immediately published, the club will take action against the newspaper to mitigate the potential damage done to its brand by unfounded association with the alleged reprehensible behaviour.’

One of the things that occurred to me during David’s commentary was that it might well be worth the club having scheduled updates for the fans.

For example, every international break there could easily be an update involving the manager/Wilson and Bennett or another board member.

As soon as the financials are produced on an annual basis the club needs to provide an insightful commentary to accompany them prior to the AGM.

And of course if there are any specific events that require commentary, the club should be ready and able to provide an appropriate response.

I know they say they don’t want to respond to everything, but today’s ridiculous ‘story’ in the Scottish Sun linking Rangers to the commercial Director sacked by Chelsea is exactly the type of thing that there should be an immediate comment about.
If I was in charge of PR, and I’ve got a history of this area, I would’ve issued a statement saying the club is going to demand an immediate apology from the Scottish Sun for publishing a story that deliberately intends to damage the brand of Rangers FC.
‘Should a fulsome apology and retraction not be immediately published, the club will take action against the newspaper to mitigate the potential damage done to its brand by unfounded association with the alleged reprehensible behaviour.’

A Wilson update - imagine the threads on here!!

I agree though!!

Mainly around perception that CL was more valuable than europa league and it was the holy grail for finances. Robertson admitted it should have been communicated better.
Yes but I don’t think he ever said it was worth £40 million to us? The less excitable among us always thought it was more like a guaranteed £20 million plus unless we progressed in the competition

Robertson said (something along the lines of) that our Europa league run to the final brought in as much money as we would’ve got for progressing into the CL groups had Malmo not put us out in the qualifiers.

So the bold Stewart is being a bit economical with the truth here.

Yes it might be much of a muchness between the two tournaments if we continue to get the the quarters/semis/final each season in the Europa league, which is hardly realistic.

Then there’s the ticket pricing….. £180 for a CL three match package in the main stand this year versus £117 for a EL three match package last season. There’s potentially an extra £3m right away on ticket sales alone!

The guy is continuing to treat the fans with contempt!

There shouldn't be an immediate comment at all. If there's no apology forthcoming (which there wouldn't be considering they didn't state anything incorrect) the club is made to look stupid.

Glad you are getting to live out your PR fantasy on FF, however.

Robertson said (something along the lines of) that our Europa league run to the final brought in as much money as we would’ve got for progressing into the CL groups had Malmo not put us out in the qualifiers.

Yes it might be much of a muchness between the two tournaments if we continue to get the the quarters/semis/final each season in the Europa league, which is hardly realistic.

Then there’s the ticket pricing….. £180 for a CL three match package in the main stand this year versus £117 for a EL three match package last season. There’s potentially an extra £3m right away on ticket sales alone!

We have been ripped off big time for the champions league ..board have treated the support terribly

Unfortunately the CL money will not be reported in the accounts up to the end of June, it'll be next year. Even the sales of Bassey and Aribo will not make those accounts, so in essence the accounts will probably make for only moderate reading. As for the AGM, as others have stated before it's not usual for the AGM to be run in a manner where you get to ask the real marked question.

I said something on a different thread a while back. Making comments on financials in advance of releasing the audited numbers formally is just not done. But by talking about the CL money they have avoided that as the CL money will be in next years accounts. But they genuinely cannot make statements that can be in any way misconstrued as that would leave them in breach of market regulations and could impact share price. Let's be honest, what did we actually learn from what the Bennett said? I learned nothing new. As for Robertson, I think he would probably be a good COO but we need a hard hitting CEO at the helm, I will not cite Lawwell as a good example because from what I could glean he milked the filth for his entire tenure because for so many years there was no us in the SPL, so he could. But what he did do and we still suffer from it now, was manoeuvre himself into very good positions in the game to ensure the filth could influence matters their way. Our board may all be great business men in their own field, but none of them is skilled at running a club of our stature in the cesspit of a league we are in. We need someone who knows those dark arts and can start to influence for us.

In these days of social media the club had to do something, because we have had people on here as clued up in our finances as we have had in the past tims, who knew someone, who knew someone else who knew we were going bust. No one knows the inner finances of our club, no one knows that its maybe agents not players that cause the contract headaches, no one knows how much has had to be spent to just keep the stadium and the training ground running. We moan about the ticket office, well guess what, when that gets fixed its gonna cost and it won't be cheap, the sort of software we are talking about could easily drive 7 figure licence fees a year as it's a complex coding that will be needed. As we found out with Aribo and the release fee, no one knows what others like that might exist. We got lucky with Bassey, had we gotten him signed to a longer term deal, he might have had a £10m release clause, he didn't thank god and we got £20m, but I suspect we got no more than a third of that upfront, with the rest on instalments over his contract. There are so many fucking imponderables that for people just to randomly pick one thing each time and tear the arse out of it is frankly crazy.

We have come a long way since 2012, and we've done it faster than I thought. I genuinely worried that we could have been 15 years trying to claw our way back. But some gambles were taken and here we are, back at the top table (albeit experiencing painful pumpings). But seemingly forgetting the pain we felt not that long ago and needing to know that it will not be repeated, we cannot allow a repeat of the Murray years.

I expect I'll get some stick for this as it will no doubt render me the "happy clapper" - but I have an opinion like everyone else.

My biggest concern over the last couple of days is the board seem to think Wilson is doing well but in reality we have cashed in big on a few players that he didn’t really have anything to do with

Meanwhile his success rate in the transfer market is about 1 in 6 and multiple other players have deteriorated in value massively because we havent sold them at the right time or extended contracts

It sounds like he is taking TV and attendance money into account for the EL run yet not taking them into account for the CL.

Strange stuff from him ... this AGM is going to be quite interesting I feel as they seem to be taking us for fools.

My biggest concern over the last couple of days is the board seem to think Wilson is doing well but in reality we have cashed in big on a few players that he didn’t really have anything to do with

Meanwhile his success rate in the transfer market is about 1 in 6 and multiple other players have deteriorated in value massively because we havent sold them at the right time or extended contracts
The Glen Kamara/Nice deadline day deal should have been one we pushed through. We had the replacement ready, deal should have been done and cashed in on him

Sadly, Kamara has checked out here it would seem

Agree with your point about ticket pricing but a Club of our size should absolutely be reaching the quarter finals of the Europa if failing to make Champions League groups. The days of accepting mediocrity in Europe are long gone, and I think the fans reaction to Ajax showed that. Well done to David Edgar, thought it was an excellent update - agreed with every word.

What was the CL misinformation blunder mate? I missed that.
We will need to get by groups to possibly last 8 in CL for revenue to reach 40 million.
This is partially to do with market share and 10 year co offecient. We are ranked 31/32 CL teams so we get 2.2m co officent share whilst Real Madrid get 36m

Spot on.

Thought it was spot on and sums up how I feel about it.

We need better communication from the club. Regular, scheduled updates on what’s going on at a board level and progress on long term projects. If nothing else it keeps them accountable for progressing things and gets rid of the feeling that they only tell us what they want us to know.

Let’s see if this is just a PR exercise from the club or whether it’s the start of something positive.

The Glen Kamara/Nice deadline day deal should have been one we pushed through. We had the replacement ready, deal should have been done and cashed in on him

We'll never be in a position to get a £10m bid for Kamara again, the lad needs to see a sports psychologist to get his head back in the correct place.

We could easily have sold him given he starts few games these days and we could have played McCann more as part of the succession planning.

I still cant believe we haven't upgraded the central midfield position in years and Edu was our last big purchase for that position, its madness.

Whatever the board do, it won’t be enough.
Financial quarter will lead to demand for monthly updates, then weekly at the press conference, twice weekly if there is a pc, then onto daily.
Maybe part of H&H’s daily update.
Actually, well played DE.
That’ll get the subscriptions flying.

Even when numbers are set in stone, ie Yilmaz being £2.8m told to us by his selling club, fans just ignore it to se their own narrative. Club can’t win

Whatever the board do, it won’t be enough.
Financial quarter will lead to demand for monthly updates, then weekly at the press conference, twice weekly if there is a pc, then onto daily.
Maybe part of H&H’s daily update.
Actually, well played DE.
That’ll get the subscriptions flying.

Aye daily Robertson will bring them in :))

Even when numbers are set in stone, ie Yilmaz being £2.8m told to us by his selling club, fans just ignore it to se their own narrative. Club can’t win
It's more like 3.8 ,is it not? With add ons on top.

4 million Euros and up to 6 million with add ons so approx 3,6 million quid, This has already been proved and gone over numerous times on here.

But it’s not the £6m everyone claims when trying to get raging. No one talks about Aribo being 10m, it’s always the 6m part.
The 6 million came from the papers I fell in to that trap as well before I was enlightened by a few posters who posted the fee from the Turkish side.

Didn't Nice change their mind and go for a striker instead, who proceeded to fail a medical?

They then signed Barkley on a free

The more those running Rangers serve up political type spin and pish to the support the less the support will trust them.

I agree with this post but conversely I wouldn’t change a thing about the contract/recruitment decision making processes that ended up with us 90 minutes away from our greatest achievement.

Perhaps that sort of cake and eating it stuff is the thing that keeps the board thinking we’re all wanks :D

We'll never be in a position to get a £10m bid for Kamara again, the lad needs to see a sports psychologist to get his head back in the correct place.

We could easily have sold him given he starts few games these days and we could have played McCann more as part of the succession planning.

I still cant believe we haven't upgraded the central midfield position in years and Edu was our last big purchase for that position, its madness.

The bid for Kamara wasn't close to £10m though was it?

If we look purely at the money from UEFA, we made around £17m in prize money etc from the EL last season. The group stage, TV and coefficient cash won't be too different from that if we don't pick up any points.

Malmo made just a little more in prize money etc. than us last year, and didn't get any points from memory.

Especially if the player is told he is going & then we don’t get his replacement done so he doesn’t…

The champions league income has been well documented. The suggested £40m was always balls and came from media guesswork
So basically we'd have been better off in the Europa and having a chance to compete rather than face 6 demoralising humpings then out of Europe by the start of November.

The bottom line for me is the board didn’t prepare for a CL campaign, they were content just to qualify. That lack of ambition isn’t what I expect from my Rangers. If the current custodians are willing to settle for less then maybe it’s better for all if they just move on.

Back