Had the board listened early enough

Please, no invites to parties at the OP's place. F**k, I'm a miserable old c**t and I wouldn't have managed to pull a negative out of last night.

It's like having a steak on the grill and a beer in your hand on a beautiful sunny summers day and bitching about the midges.

Once we see the likes of last night consistently from the same players we’ll know we’re onto something.

You don’t go from last season to this so quickly without a whole bunch of stuff to sort out. Players looked like they chucked it. Once they’re fully bought in again we’ll be more than fine.

The fans were calling for gio to be sacked when the gap was savable. it was obvious things were at the point of no return yet we dragged our heels. Had we acted sooner we would be going for this league title. That was outstanding tonight rangers.
Gio had to be given the chance to turn it round.After the run to the Europa final and the Scottish Cup win I don't think there was any chance of him being sacked earlier in the campaign.

We would have certainly put up a better fight.

It was a tricky one because he got us to the Europa Final and won the Scottish Cup so the board might have felt it was a knee jerk reaction to pull the trigger earlier.

I suspect things may have moved earlier had Beale not been approached by Wolves so recent to our approach.

Him being at the Aberdeen game while GVB was still manager wasn't a happy coincidence.

I said at the time I'd have left him in Amsterdam after his comments in his post-match of the Ajax game. He fired every player right under the bus that night and he was never coming back from it.

At the very latest he should have been punted after the Liverpool game, Them losing to St Mirren saved his bacon.

I started a thread on it that very night but he should 100% have gone after the Liverpool thrashing.

1 month later the league was all but gone.

Last edited:
If anything negative happens it is the boards fault. We had players who clearly did not want to play for Gio. They did well in Europe when they could show others what they could do maybe in the hope of a big transfer and more cash.
Gio was a nice guy but too soft. He did want to win but if players do not give 100% then it is them not the board that cost us.
We should understand that we have no right to win the league unless we are better than the scum and this season so far they have been better than us.
We have to play them twice and just maybe they will drop points but it does mean we have to win every game.
The board have put a good manager in place and provided funds for two good players coming in.
In the summer we must sell some we dont need as the wage bill is way to high and add another two that the manager wants in and then we will have a team that will win and beat the scum.

This has been a great run for us, and im starting to maybe think two victories against that mob is possible. However, I cant see where else they will drop points i'm afraid
They aren’t under pressure. if we won the two league games remaining it would be a whole different ball game. We’d have momentum, they’d have squeaky bums and pressure from the stands

We would have probably been stuck with the B team manager up until the break anyway and we seen how bad that went last time.

Could there have been something about reduced compensation after a year too as we waited until it was almost exactly one year before doing it?

Are you suggesting the board done the right think by keeping gio on as long as they did and letting the gap at the top of the league get bigger when everyone of us could see that gio wasn't turning things around? Basically handed that mob a ticket to the champions league and the best you can come up with is aye OK? Some people should need a licence to use the Internet

Plenty fans weren't either unfortunately.
The Liverpool thumping should have been the final final straw.
From the high of PSV to the low of Ajax - the first CL game was when it was obvious something was seriously wrong, even moreso than the capitulation to Celtic a few days before.

Possibly the worst Euro performance I've ever watched, including Progress. We went out onto the pitch already defeated, and that failure of mentality lies with Gio.

Think there was a financial reason for us not doing it sooner. I'm sure he was sacked a year to the day he arrived.
Handing that mob a 9 point lead and guaranteed champions league football, im sure, will in the long run be financially less beneficial than paying him to go weeks earlier and saving our hopes of the title.

Honestly when Beale came in I thought that he had a big job ahead of him, he's managed to turn some of these players around in a matter of a couple of months. He's purchased well and so far we're undefeated under him.

I think the timing of changing manager was the perfect point. Beale had a month with some of the players when the world cup was on, any earlier and I don't think we would see the form we're in right now honestly and he wouldn't have been able to get his points and style across as quickly.

Now I'm thinking us beating Celtic twice and potentially them having 2 draws in other games, which is a long shot but with the way we are playing I don't think that is completely out of the picture yet. This league isn't quite 100% over just yet.

The fans were calling for gio to be sacked when the gap was savable. it was obvious things were at the point of no return yet we dragged our heels. Had we acted sooner we would be going for this league title. That was outstanding tonight rangers.

If the board had listened to the fans, we'd have sacked Gerrard after that night at Tynecastle and likely not have seen 55 yet.

Too much Captain Hindsight about this kind of thing for me with no consideration for anything other than the sheer black and white of a particular point on a particular night three months on.

Fans call for managers to go when they're not 3-0 up at half time on occassion.

Let's just enjoy the fact we appear to be heading in the right direction.

We aren’t out a title race right now?

3 games and your conceding?

You should speak to some beggars, they have a fear that a couple of poor results are coming and when they do we must take that chance and see what happens

Keep believing

Its out of our hands now but we can take it as deep as possible and hope they trip up.

Post split fixtures we will have 3 at home including them and 2 away. They will have to come to Ibrox and Tynecastle plus one more away game.

I'd say we have around 5% chance of winning the title - but its not 0%.

Some just can't seem to let it go.

I'm happy with what Gio achieved won us a cup we hadn't won in years got us to a champions league and also got us to a European final.
In years to come people will look back on Gio time fondly.

Made us the money we are currently investing in players.

Handing that mob a 9 point lead and guaranteed champions league football, im sure, will in the long run be financially less beneficial than paying him to go weeks earlier and saving our hopes of the title.
Yeah I agree he should have been sacked much sooner I'm only stating why I believe it took the board so long to do the right thing.

If the board had listened to the fans, we'd have sacked Gerrard after that night at Tynecastle and likely not have seen 55 yet.

Too much Captain Hindsight about this kind of thing for me with no consideration for anything other than the sheer black and white of a particular point on a particular night three months on.

Fans call for managers to go when they're not 3-0 up at half time on occassion.

Let's just enjoy the fact we appear to be heading in the right direction.
No way, no captain hindsight ...gvb was a busted flush for a while and should have been replaced the game over in Amsterdam should have had the alarm bells ringing straight away.

No, we stopped playing from side to side and took the game to our opponents from the first minute tonight. Hearts couldn't cope with the ball over the top. The difference is staggering. It could easily have been 8-0 Rangers.

No more "pointless possession" thank goodness. I hope at last those on here that valued this approach now see the error of their ways.

No way, no captain hindsight ...gvb was a busted flush for a while and should have been replaced the game over in Amsterdam should have had the alarm bells ringing straight away.

Correct. You've got to laugh at those that end up proved wrong. If its about a player they rubbished, like Sakala, they simply claim he's got better. Now the tactic seems to be a claim of hindsight.

Wouldnt it be nice if they just admitted they were wrong?

Are you suggesting the board done the right think by keeping gio on as long as they did and letting the gap at the top of the league get bigger when everyone of us could see that gio wasn't turning things around? Basically handed that mob a ticket to the champions league and the best you can come up with is aye OK? Some people should need a licence to use the Internet
No I am not but there is a lot goes on when sacking a manager and getting another manager in place

I get what you’re saying here but for me the injuries to the defence was what beat us. Gio was a big reason but having no CB’s killed us. We still scored goals but almost every shot was a goal against at that point.

You think the board could have it Goldson and Davies back sooner? The team as a whole are playing far better but you cannot underestimate how much we suffered playing Sands and King in the centre of defence

I get what you’re saying here but for me the injuries to the defence was what beat us. Gio was a big reason but having no CB’s killed us. We still scored goals but almost every shot was a goal against at that point.

I still think we should have went out an got an OOC CH to come in, I know were probably not many really good ones out there, but an actual CH would have been better than a midfielder and a young prospect.

I believe it was to do with having to pay him less. Well so I read on here back then anyway.

Correct. You've got to laugh at those that end up proved wrong. If its about a player they rubbished, like Sakala, they simply claim he's got better. Now the tactic seems to be a claim of hindsight.

Wouldnt it be nice if they just admitted they were wrong?

No one is being proved wrong here. The point being made was that plenty would have sacked Gerrard at a number of points too. It's absolutely with the benefit of hindsight, as things stand right now, that this thread is being made.

Just because things are better now based on what's happened, doesn't mean that had the action been taken after Amsterdam or any other arbitary point we'd have hit the same outcome.

Maybe Beale comes in and doesn't have the same start as he did if he takes the jobs three months earlier and then people moan that it's not any better and we'd have been as well not making a change.

There's more than just the result of any specific point to consider. It's only black and white to call it now.

If the board acted every time the fan based made a call, we'd have four managers a season.

It's a strange old game. You have people on here today telling us Kamara and Lundstram are back to their world beating selves. Some may ask, "where's that been the last two months, when your place in the team wasn't in jeopardy?"

Others may say the board should have listened to FF and canned Gio in October. ;)

It's fashionable now to stick the boot into Gio at any given opportunity. Sad really.

Any goodwill from the Europa League Final and Scottish Cup win is washed away and you even see some people saying we were lucky. Pathetic.

Domestically it wasn't good enough under Gio and we were tough to watch at times. But nobody will ever convince me that he was backed properly.

When he joined us, he was ahead in the league, fine. But come January when Celtic got the fixtures pushed back and they started signing players left, right and centre, it was clear that we also needed reinforcements...they didn't arrive.

Then after the buzz of beating PSV and qualifying for the CL, it was clear Gio thought we'd be strengthening again. We didn't.

Also have to bare in mind that for large parts of this season we were playing games with a back line of King and Sands at CB and our injury list in general could've filled two A4 sheets of paper.

Let's just caw canny a bit. One swallow doesn't make a summer. Last night was excellent but it is only one match. We are still undefeated under Beale but some of the performances have been underwhelming and on another day we could have lost more than one. Not being negative in any way but I will count chickens only when they hatch.

I've spent weeks on here reading about how rotten the team is, now it's all of a sudden, we could have won the league.

Beale was getting it on here the other night for not beating celtic. Let's face it, a good performance and result and some on here just go out their way for flaws. The thing is, who knows and if football was predictable, the game would die a death.

The Manager's comments last night that the players have finally got their legs back actually says it all.

I can never understand this.

People take a manager's comments completely out of context to use it as a stick to beat something else with.

If you care to post the rest of his comments from that paragraph I'm pretty certain he says after a tough / hectic schedule in the last month or so (paraphrasing). It was nothing to do with fitness or Gio.

Same when people bring up the comments Gio made against Ajax and completely ignore the overall context about what he meant by us not competing. It's tiresome.

Those last few weeks with Gio killed us when he basically chucked it. I regret backing him on here for so long.

Doesn’t make a difference how long you backed him for on here. It wouldn’t have expedited his departure from the club.

It's fashionable now to stick the boot into Gio at any given opportunity. Sad really.

Any goodwill from the Europa League Final and Scottish Cup win is washed away and you even see some people saying we were lucky. Pathetic.

Domestically it wasn't good enough under Gio and we were tough to watch at times. But nobody will ever convince me that he was backed properly.

When he joined us, he was ahead in the league, fine. But come January when Celtic got the fixtures pushed back and they started signing players left, right and centre, it was clear that we also needed reinforcements...they didn't arrive.

Then after the buzz of beating PSV and qualifying for the CL, it was clear Gio thought we'd be strengthening again. We didn't.

Also have to bare in mind that for large parts of this season we were playing games with a back line of King and Sands at CB and our injury list in general could've filled two A4 sheets of paper.
I said at the time if Gio had got the players he wanted things might have been different. Some of the players we signed in the summer didn't fit with Gio's history of buying players. Some did Tilman,Ridvan, Lawrence others I think he had to compromise on . One thing he was really good at when he was Feyenoord manager was identifying players to fit his system.

He signed some really good players at Feyenoord who have went on to play in bigger leagues. Most were signed from the Dutch leagues or were players who had previous experience of the Dutch leagues . Yet we didn't sign one player from the Dutch leagues .

Last edited:
I'm very happy MB is manager but I think the World Cup break and getting players fit have played a massive part in the improvement. That reset button was very important.

If Gio had stayed I think it would have improved also, though maybe not as much. Or maybe he'd have beaten The Other Third of The Old Firm as well and been within 6 points. We'll never know, but the idea that Gio was some kind of incompetent dud who was losing every week doesn't stack up. Bad managers do not take Scottish clubs to European finals.

Similarly if Beale had been appointed earlier he might have had just as poor results because he'd have had to deal with the massive injury crisis and the players confidence still cratered from the Champions League.

One other point has helped results. At the risk of tempting fate McGregor has stopped chucking them in his own net. He's been very good since the turn of the year. Maybe playing once a week and rotating with McLaughlin is keeping him fresher - in which case that's been genius from MB, but it might just be a decent run and the next howler is right around the corner.

Its out of our hands now but we can take it as deep as possible and hope they trip up.

Post split fixtures we will have 3 at home including them and 2 away. They will have to come to Ibrox and Tynecastle plus one more away game.

I'd say we have around 5% chance of winning the title - but its not 0%.
Agreed although I would say about 10-25% chance.

I think the fact barely a single player wished him or his team well publicly after they were sacked tells its own story. He was presiding over a sham set-up both on and off the pitch.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We can’t change anything. We can only look forward and get the team in a good position for next season. We still have 2 cups to play for and if we can push Celtic till the last few games it shows it won’t be easy for them next season.

The board listened to the fans when they shouldn’t have and appointed GVB. That’s the one that mattered

Back