Had the board listened early enough

We all have degrees in hindsight.

It could be argued though that a year ago tonight at the cesspit was the beginning of the end for Gio and losing in Seville does not make up for handing them two titles in the calendar year that was 2022.

It only takes one slip and its back on. They've had a couple of decent scorelines but their overall play is poor and repetitive, St Johnstone away is a potential banana skin for them. If its down to six points I think we'd have a great chance of winning the two remaining OF games then its just goal difference. Hopeful but not impossible.
I’d rather they got 2 draws, that way we don’t need to worry about GD, and I can’t see anyone apart from us beating them

I said at the time if Gio had got the players he wanted things might have been different. Some of the players we signed in the summer didn't fit with Gio's history of buying players. Some did Tilman,Ridvan, Lawrence others I think he had to compromise on . One thing he was really good at when he was Feyenoord manager was identifying players to fit his system.

He signed some really good players at Feyenoord who have went on to play in bigger leagues. Most were signed from the Dutch leagues or were players who had previous experience of the Dutch leagues . Yet we didn't sign one player from the Dutch leagues .

Yet Beale was here weeks, and we brought in a signing who utterly stinks of a player Beale would want

That Dutch thing, I’m not so sure about it, I wouldn’t be shocked if Gio just didn’t have a clue who he wanted to sign.

I would be genuinely fascinated to hear him speak about players he fancied us to sign from that league and who he suggested. I wouldn’t be entirely shocked if it turned out to be utterly known, projected for massive move players rather than any form of obscure talent.

If he really really, really, wanted a player from the Dutch league who was adorable to us there is next to nothing to suggest we wouldn’t have done it. I have always have been of a thought he likely suggests Gakpo and Madueke, felt like he had about that level of investment in researching players

Yet Beale was here weeks, and we brought in a signing who utterly stinks of a player Beale would want

That Dutch thing, I’m not so sure about it, I wouldn’t be shocked if Gio just didn’t have a clue who he wanted to sign.

I would be genuinely fascinated to hear him speak about players he fancied us to sign from that league and who he suggested. I wouldn’t be entirely shocked if it turned out to be utterly known, projected for massive move players rather than any form of obscure talent.

If he really really, really, wanted a player from the Dutch league who was adorable to us there is next to nothing to suggest we wouldn’t have done it. I have always have been of a thought he likely suggests Gakpo and Madueke, felt like he had about that level of investment in researching players
I can only tell you who he identified for Feyenoord he was very involved with the recruitment there. Very similar to Gerrard his first season at Feyenoord required a large rebuild. He had a budget of €6m rebuilt the team won a cup then went on to win the league in his second season. What isn't spoke about much is he basically had to rebuild Feyenoord each season because they sold their best players every summer.

They should have repeated history when Souness left and appointed the then No2! It worked out massively for us the last time round!!

Seville and the SC meant the board were reluctant to act in the hope he could turn it around.

He should have been shown the door after the Livingston draw at home,.it was clear at that point his stubborness had alienated the squad and they were not playing for him.

The debacles in Perth and Paisley that followed only served to prove the point.

I was genuinely surprised they sacked Gio as early as they did.

There was the opportunity for them to get to the winter break then hope he got players back from injury to kick on, but credit to them for realising it was a-bogey and moving swiftly to get Beale in.

I think it was probably unrealistic for them to bin the Dutchman any earlier.

Beale has won 6 out of 6 away from home domestically.

Gio had 3 from 7! His away record this season and last was pathetic and he should never have been in the job as long as he was.

This seasons was completely written off by keeping him in the job so long.
GVB really didn’t have a clue did he and the players knew it.

Arguably a month prior with qpr flying it may have been the case beale wouldn’t have shifted.

Even moving so quickly post-appointment at QPR raised eyebrows and was a risk for him. QPR form I’d argue greased the wheels a bit.

To that end it’s preferable we are where we are with him in charge.

Conversely I know literally no one who didn’t want GVB out a long time before he went - the squad had no confidence in him. There was no identity. Playing with a fear of losing not a desire to win.

As such I think it’s not really hindsight saying an earlier change was common sense if the right guy was available.

The board showed faith in Gio - plus getting shot was expensive in itself.

It has ended up well, but likely at the cost of a shot at a league win. That’s reality.

Last edited:
We aren’t out a title race right now?

3 games and your conceding?

You should speak to some beggars, they have a fear that a couple of poor results are coming and when they do we must take that chance and see what happens

Keep believing
I agree mate, int ain't over until the fat (lady's front bottom) Greek sings

Football is a funny old game, you never know this season. They could just randomly lose a game and then feel a bit of pressure.

Stranger things have happened

GVB really didn’t have a clue did he and the players knew it.

More exaggeration.

Gio achieved more in his career than our entire team combined.

He's won trophies as a manager in two different countries now and taken us to a European final...is that someone who's clueless?

The fans were calling for gio to be sacked when the gap was savable. it was obvious things were at the point of no return yet we dragged our heels. Had we acted sooner we would be going for this league title. That was outstanding tonight rangers.
Listened to the fans?
Same fans who would have wanted to send Tillman back to Bayern?
Same fans who’d have kept Patterson and binned Tavernier?
The same fans who’d got as many wrong as right throughout our history?

Arguably a month prior with qpr flying it may have been the case beale wouldn’t have shifted.

Even moving so quickly post-appointment at QPR raised eyebrows and was a risk for him. QPR form I’d argue greased the wheels a bit.

To that end it’s preferable we are where we are with him in charge.

Conversely I know literally no one who didn’t want GVB out a long time before he went - the squad had no confidence in him. There was no identity. Playing with a fear of losing not a desire to win.

As such I think it’s not really hindsight saying an earlier change was common sense if the right guy was available.

The board showed faith in Gio - plus getting shot was expensive in itself.

It has ended up well, but likely at the cost of a shot at a league win. That’s reality.
That was only right - he took the club to within a penalty kick of winning the Europa League, lifted the Scottish Cup then qualified for the Champions League. Despite our collapse in the title race, those were some pretty heavyweight achievements that understandably gave the board optimism there was better to come.

It definitely fell apart this season though as the players lacked motivation, fitness and a clear identity, but there were some in our support who wanted him out after we lost 3-0 to the Beasts in February last year, just three months or so into the job, and despite those subsequent achievements, Seville included, they weren’t prepared to budge from that stance.

The manner of both defeats at the chamber of secrets should have been the end for Gio. If those weren't bad enough the lost to Liverpool should have been the end

The fans were calling for gio to be sacked when the gap was savable. it was obvious things were at the point of no return yet we dragged our heels. Had we acted sooner we would be going for this league title. That was outstanding tonight rangers.
Imagine if the board changed manager and players every time the fans wanted it.

It would be 20 managers a season.

About 4 players would survive a season.

Remember the injury situation of course, 4 central defenders and 2 left backs out, having to play midfielders in the centre half positions and having to play a young right back (who's gonna be our top right back of the future when given a chance) at left back

More exaggeration.

Gio achieved more in his career than our entire team combined.

He's won trophies as a manager in two different countries now and taken us to a European final...is that someone who's clueless?
Correct, Gio had the worst injury situation I can remember since Advocaat had, roundabout the 2000 season

We aren’t out a title race right now?

3 games and your conceding?

You should speak to some beggars, they have a fear that a couple of poor results are coming and when they do we must take that chance and see what happens

Keep believing
They are one defeat away from it being back in our hands.

Bottom line is that the players were not giving their all for Gio.

The Liverpool debacle highlighted that.

You only have to look at Aberdeen recently to see what happens when players want a manager out.

Had Gio still been here we would be about 18 points behind.

He was bagged a month too late.

The one good performance around then was when MB was at the game......

Beale is doing a very good job but it definitely helps having Goldson, Davies, Barisic and Tavernier all fully fit, which we didn’t have in that bad spell.
Not convinced that was much of a factor in taking 2 points from 9 against Livi, SJ and SM.

Live in the moment, good chance of a cup double and if we beat them twice next month they’ll feel pressure like Angela has never felt before, you just never know.

We’re looking good going forward

I've got very little faith in Robertson and Wilson, but I think the timing of this was about right for Beale to come in.

Yes Gio should have been gone after Liverpool, but that would have left a caretaker period until the world cup break.

I'm happy the fitness, passing and movement is back and we're looking good with two clever signings added to the squad.

Frightening to think how it would be with Gio still here. Doubt we'd have players even returning, and new signings would have been Wilson loan specials.

We're on the up and still in this title race. One slip up from them and it could lead to their collapse.

I hope we never get a trigger happy board that fire after any wee slump - however EVERY metric when gio was in charge this season was south - I dont recall one redeeming factor

I’d rather they got 2 draws, that way we don’t need to worry about GD, and I can’t see anyone apart from us beating them

Theres no fixture pre split, other than us, where I think they might drop points.

They could have barely picked a better run of fixtures.

Post split they will have 3 tough away games. We can only win every game and hope they slip up post split.

Winning the Cup final is huge for us in terms of denting their confidence.

Swings & roundabouts.
The fans wanted Derek McInnes a few years ago!:rolleyes:
I'm also old enough to remember the fans singing "Wallace must go" 2nd game of the season 77/78, we won the treble that year.
Point being the fans don't always get it right so we have to accept the board don't either!

Theres no fixture pre split, other than us, where I think they might drop points.

They could have barely picked a better run of fixtures.

Post split they will have 3 tough away games. We can only win every game and hope they slip up post split.

Winning the Cup final is huge for us in terms of denting their confidence.
All it takes is 1 game where the opposition keeper has the game of their life, they’ve got 3 or 4 away games between now and the split, we could damage their confidence severely not only winning the cup, but also beating them at their ground as well

All it takes is 1 game where the opposition keeper has the game of their life, they’ve got 3 or 4 away games between now and the split, we could damage their confidence severely not only winning the cup, but also beating them at their ground as well

St Johnstone, St Mirren, Ross County, Kilmarnock.

They arent dropping points to any of them.

Better late than never. Beale looks like he's the man for the future. Thought gio would have done better and I feel for him, it must have hurt loads. Loving the style Beale is introducing to our play. I will be looking forward to more. His vision looks to be forward with intent, getting in perms rather than loans.

Back