Had the board listened early enough

Football is a funny old game, you never know this season. They could just randomly lose a game and then feel a bit of pressure.

Stranger things have happened
They did randomly lose a game, and within weeks we turned a potential two points defecit into nine. I don't think the players should be allowed out of the firing line for the shambles that has characterised this season.

Swings & roundabouts.
The fans wanted Derek McInnes a few years ago!:rolleyes:
I'm also old enough to remember the fans singing "Wallace must go" 2nd game of the season 77/78, we won the treble that year.
Point being the fans don't always get it right so we have to accept the board don't either!
The autumn of 74 was the same.
We lost to East Fife at Ibrox and a fair amount of fans wanted Wallace gone.
If only the board had listened.

Beale is doing a very good job but it definitely helps having Goldson, Davies, Barisic and Tavernier all fully fit, which we didn’t have in that bad spell.
Absolutely but there was a steady decline under Gio in performance levels aided by unfathomable tactics which didn’t suit the players.
Tav and Barisic restricted in their attacking roles
Really!
Kent asked to run up and down the left wing only which restricted his effectiveness.
Kamara integral part of the team became a nothing.
Tillman our most creative outlet asked to play wide right in a five.
Domestically Gio found wanting I’m afraid.
That’s without mentioning 2 piggery debacles.
7-8 nil ffs.

They did randomly lose a game, and within weeks we turned a potential two points defecit into nine. I don't think the players should be allowed out of the firing line for the shambles that has characterised this season.
The manager’s job is to prepare the team including tactically to get the optimum amount from the playing squad.
He was a failure domestically particularly away from home.
Part of his remit is to create a happy environment in which the players want to contribute and there is a strong case for saying that atmosphere was not prevalent and in any work situation the staff are turned off and don’t produce their best.
That’s life regardless of the money they are paid.

Devils advocate if we're playing make believe - what if the best player in Scotland are the end of last season wasn't sold from GVB (bassey) and what if the board had backed 1 or 2 signings once qualifying for champions League? Raskin was almost in then but the board wouldn't outlay without bringing in cash from a sale

It's all ifs and buts. Pointless

Let's get behind the manager and team now

The 11 players that started tonight we're all available to gio,but I don't think he manages to get a display like that out of them.
I can see us going on another long unbeaten streak under beale
Spot on, and that's what's rattled the dhims & kicked their media pals into "Operation : Focus on all things Rangers" Hate sounding so paranoid, but it's what I see every day.

I’m convinced if GVB was still here, we wouldn’t be signing players of the quality of Raskin and Cantwell, he would have accepted a couple of loan players.
Raskin was ready to sign for us on deadline day in the summer.

I think he was getting signed regardless if it was Gio/Beale.

A club target that both managers clearly approved of.

The board should've invested after we won 55 and we would've buried they bastards. We are on the way back and hopefully we've learned from previous mistakes.
Totally agree with this. If SG hadn't bailed, we would have been playing the same style of football we are now, won the league last year, possibly not the Europa League, and be ahead in the league this season, all down to Beale IMHO.
What is now possible, if SG had more patience (and I'm sure the board frustrated him), and he'd stayed and won the league last year and wins this year, is his dream job is waiting for him, Klopps jaiket being on a very shuggly nail. Oh the irony.

Honestly when Beale came in I thought that he had a big job ahead of him, he's managed to turn some of these players around in a matter of a couple of months. He's purchased well and so far we're undefeated under him.

I think the timing of changing manager was the perfect point. Beale had a month with some of the players when the world cup was on, any earlier and I don't think we would see the form we're in right now honestly and he wouldn't have been able to get his points and style across as quickly.

Now I'm thinking us beating Celtic twice and potentially them having 2 draws in other games, which is a long shot but with the way we are playing I don't think that is completely out of the picture yet. This league isn't quite 100% over just yet.
Exactly this. Gio sucked the life out of these players, Beale resurrected them. He knows who they are and what they can do, Gio tried to change them. The difference in the same players is undeniable. No way I'm I ever conceding the league till it's over, Helicopter Sunday anyone?

And we had next to no injuries beforehand. Coincidence?
If once we get them all back we can get back to a normal level of injuries then the evidence is pretty damning on Gio. I don't think it's only coincidence so will give him the benefit of the doubt for now so let's see

You had the first team coach saying tricks are for the circus when asked about a flair player.

Now the manager is encouraging in the media and backing up his players to celebrate goals etc etc. It’s not defining but the players must react to stuff like that good or bad

There was obviously a disconnection in dynamics between the players and Gio and this should have been picked up by Ross Wilson and communicated back to the board. One of the key remits of a good DOF is to communicate between manager and board and I’m afraid Wilson was asleep at the wheel. A top competent DOF would have sussed out the disconnection a while back and reported back to the board a lot sooner and quicker and action taken. However, we are where we are and the league has been lost because of this but Beale coming in has been a breath of fresh air and I’m confident that we can certainly narrow the gap and lift a domestic cup as well.

Or maybe if the board didn’t listen in the first place, as soon as Gerrard went EVERYONE (almost) was screaming for GVB.

I got a week ban at the time for suggesting he was the wrong choice and after the Hibs cup game I was even more doubtful.

Tbh I wanted Lampard which it has been proven would also have been a disaster.

People like Potter were available at the time. He may have been more suited to us than Chelsea. We will never know.

I don’t think the board really looked at other candidates. The fans wanted GVB, the board wanted a cheap quick fix and GVB wanted a job.

I’m glad his time with Beale. I think he is more savvy and willing to adapt unlike GVB.

Makes you also wonder why the board didn’t think this at the time.

The fans were calling for gio to be sacked when the gap was savable. it was obvious things were at the point of no return yet we dragged our heels. Had we acted sooner we would be going for this league title. That was outstanding tonight rangers.
Almost certain there was a 12 month clause in his contract that meant to all him before then would have had bigger financial implications.

Totally agree with this. If SG hadn't bailed, we would have been playing the same style of football we are now, won the league last year, possibly not the Europa League, and be ahead in the league this season, all down to Beale IMHO.
What is now possible, if SG had more patience (and I'm sure the board frustrated him), and he'd stayed and won the league last year and wins this year, is his dream job is waiting for him, Klopps jaiket being on a very shuggly nail. Oh the irony.
That's how I saw it. There was only 1 job Gerrard should've been leaving for and he prob would've been getting it at the end of this season if we were heading for 3 in a row and he'd had a year of champions League experience. A very silly decision by him. Not just leaving but he'd also dropped his desire at the start of last season. He likes to think of himself as a winner but it looks like he's content with only winning sporadically

It would be interesting to find out if he bailed at the opportunity of the EPL or if as King said the board asked him to consider the offer from Villa. I agree we would have won the league had he stayed and we strengthened the playing squad. He would definitely have had a much better chance of his dream job if he'd stayed with us and continued to be successful but it's all hypothetical now and hopefully the board have learned from previous mistakes.

Or maybe if the board didn’t listen in the first place, as soon as Gerrard went EVERYONE (almost) was screaming for GVB.

I got a week ban at the time for suggesting he was the wrong choice and after the Hibs cup game I was even more doubtful.

Tbh I wanted Lampard which it has been proven would also have been a disaster.

People like Potter were available at the time. He may have been more suited to us than Chelsea. We will never know.

I don’t think the board really looked at other candidates. The fans wanted GVB, the board wanted a cheap quick fix and GVB wanted a job.

I’m glad his time with Beale. I think he is more savvy and willing to adapt unlike GVB.

Makes you also wonder why the board didn’t think this at the time.

No Europa League run without Gio.

Also, this is utter pish. Gio was rightly credited for his tactical nouse especially in Europe.

The autumn of 74 was the same.
We lost to East Fife at Ibrox and a fair amount of fans wanted Wallace gone.
If only the board had listened.
Pretty sure it was East Fife at Ibrox in Oct 73 and 73/74 truly was an abomination of a season.

Back then, the Rangers support was by now used to an horrendous start to the league season, that meant playing a game of catch up we couldn't win.

There we were, two seasons of happiness (74/75 for the league and 75/76 for the treble) and then 76/77 was as bad as 73/74 and the support, or some, were thinking that's us back to square one.

I wasn't at the first game of the league at Ayr in 74/75. I was playing at Linn Park golf course with a couple of my school pals. We got off at the 18th and were told by someone else with a tranny that we had drawn 1-1. My thoughts there and then? 'Here we fecking go again.' That's how it was back then.

The exception to the rule was losing to Hibs at Ibrox in Aug 77, just two games in. Did I agree with the support that day? No. But I could understand it.

Pretty sure it was East Fife at Ibrox in Oct 73 and 73/74 truly was an abomination of a season.

Back then, the Rangers support was by now used to an horrendous start to the league season, that meant playing a game of catch up we couldn't win.

There we were, two seasons of happiness (74/75 for the league and 75/76 for the treble) and then 76/77 was as bad as 73/74 and the support, or some, were thinking that's us back to square one.

I wasn't at the first game of the league at Ayr in 74/75. I was playing at Linn Park golf course with a couple of my school pals. We got off at the 18th and were told by someone else with a tranny that we had drawn 1-1. My thoughts there and then? 'Here we fecking go again.' That's how it was back then.

The exception to the rule was losing to Hibs at Ibrox in Aug 77, just two games in. Did I agree with the support that day? No. But I could understand it.
You’re correct, bud, it was Wallace’s first league winning season.
I had 75 in mind but, of course, that’s the second half of the season.
I can’t remember the Sunday Mail headline the next day but I’m sure it was on of those one-word, super-derogatory lines.

No Europa League run without Gio.

Also, this is utter pish. Gio was rightly credited for his tactical nouse especially in Europe.
Gio's negativity cost us in the final

Playing for penalties with a keeper that was struggling all season (maybe even with a back injury) was only going to end one way, regardless of players missing penalties

Playing for penalties with a keeper that was struggling all season (maybe even with a back injury) was only going to end one way, regardless of players missing penalties
Bassey apart, not one player had a good game, in fact they were individually and collectively garbage. As I said, Bassey apart.

From last January onwards I was having doubts about Gio as manager. How passive and docile he was being part of the problem.

I don't blame him outright for Seville, given the performances of his players on the night.

Another ridiculous take.

I take it Gio was at fault for Goldson leaving the cross for their goal and Kent missed an open goal near the end ?

Another ridiculous take.

I take it Gio was at fault for Goldson leaving the cross for their goal and Kent missed an open goal near the end ?
And McGregor not moving at the goal? The same players making the same mistakes they had been doing all season

He should have worked at stopping this happening. The coaches were to blame as much as the players for letting it go on so long

Another ridiculous take.

No not at all and whilst Gio did remarkably well getting us to the EL final and winning the Scottish Cup he was also responsible for our worst hammering off Celtic in a few years, losing a substantial lead in the league and that's before we even mention the CL results.

Another ridiculous take.

Obviously he was t it was player fault but don’t make out Gio done it on his own.

What else did he do? Hot slaughtered at Parkhead, stayed away against hibs in cup.
Refused to adapt

Obviously he was t it was player fault but don’t make out Gio done it on his own.

What else did he do? Hot slaughtered at Parkhead, stayed away against hibs in cup.
Refused to adapt

He wasn't allowed to work at it haha. Jeezo.

It's all hypothetical as outwith the Malmo result Gerrard's results in Europe were very good.

Are we just ignoring our results (and performances) in the Europa League group stages before Gio came in? We were honking.

He wasn't allowed to work at it haha. Jeezo.

Are we just ignoring our results (and performances) in the Europa League group stages before Gio came in? We were honking.
We weren’t great but that's the season we made the final.

Back