Hagi is a genuine Ranger

It would have been easy for him to have a half decent career as doors opened for Hagi junior and IMO he's never going to be as good as his father, but it won't be for the want of trying. I think his father probably realised that coming to Rangers was going to ask questions of the boy's character as much as his ability and it seems that he's definitely up for it. Hopefully be the making of him.

I don't think it would be exaggerating to say no one celebrated our goal as much as he did. He loves playing for us and I love that he does!

I am 40 odds and grew up on Sensible soccer with Finidi George, George Weah, Hristo Stoichkov and Georgi Hagi.

this lad's father is football royalty and anyone who grew up in the same era as myself will know just how good a player he was, domestically and internationally.

His lad has no end of talent too, he has vision and clever feet and while he lacks for a touch of pace, his ability to read the game and position himself well more than makes up for it. He has no fear when it comes to taking a strike and he will take a man on when he feels he can beat him.

None of that deserves the title of the thread though. The reason I say he is a Ranger is not because he is the finished article, some superstar player with the world at his feet, it is because he has not rested on his father's name at all, he has backed himself to come to a 'smaller' league where talent is overlooked in favour of brawn, it is because he takes dull knocks, sore ones, little stamps on the toe and fly elbows for 90 minutes week after week and each and every time he gets right back up, dusts himself off and goes again. it is because he does not always play well, or even nearly well, but he will always, always play with his head up, make himself available for a pass and keep coming back for more, keep trying something, even when it is not coming off for him. He does not hide and he always wants the ball, even if his last 5 passes have been out of the park.

Being a Ranger is not about simply being the best and out-performing teams week in and week out, it is about making sure that if you fail, it is not through lack of heart, desire or effort. Skill plays it's part, obviously, and the lad has enough to make it, but the crux of being a Ranger is what is in the heart, not the toes and that is the reason that Bomber can stand shoulder to shoulder with Laudrup, why McCall does not need to look up to Gazza, why Novo can look Butcher in the eyes. Slightly less talent, more than made up for in application and desire.

Young Hagi has had some pretty poor spells in terms of form. He has been in and out of games and looked like nothing would come off for him. He has pulled himself back into form and won us points with goals.

The lad will absolutely do for me and will be a tremendous asset once some bits of his game are ironed out.
Thought he had his best game for us tonite..he is never afraid to take the ball and his fighting spirit was very much like his old man. He will continue to improve

I am 40 odds and grew up on Sensible soccer with Finidi George, George Weah, Hristo Stoichkov and Georgi Hagi.

this lad's father is football royalty and anyone who grew up in the same era as myself will know just how good a player he was, domestically and internationally.

His lad has no end of talent too, he has vision and clever feet and while he lacks for a touch of pace, his ability to read the game and position himself well more than makes up for it. He has no fear when it comes to taking a strike and he will take a man on when he feels he can beat him.

None of that deserves the title of the thread though. The reason I say he is a Ranger is not because he is the finished article, some superstar player with the world at his feet, it is because he has not rested on his father's name at all, he has backed himself to come to a 'smaller' league where talent is overlooked in favour of brawn, it is because he takes dull knocks, sore ones, little stamps on the toe and fly elbows for 90 minutes week after week and each and every time he gets right back up, dusts himself off and goes again. it is because he does not always play well, or even nearly well, but he will always, always play with his head up, make himself available for a pass and keep coming back for more, keep trying something, even when it is not coming off for him. He does not hide and he always wants the ball, even if his last 5 passes have been out of the park.

Being a Ranger is not about simply being the best and out-performing teams week in and week out, it is about making sure that if you fail, it is not through lack of heart, desire or effort. Skill plays it's part, obviously, and the lad has enough to make it, but the crux of being a Ranger is what is in the heart, not the toes and that is the reason that Bomber can stand shoulder to shoulder with Laudrup, why McCall does not need to look up to Gazza, why Novo can look Butcher in the eyes. Slightly less talent, more than made up for in application and desire.

Young Hagi has had some pretty poor spells in terms of form. He has been in and out of games and looked like nothing would come off for him. He has pulled himself back into form and won us points with goals.

The lad will absolutely do for me and will be a tremendous asset once some bits of his game are ironed out.
I love the boy

I get the impression somethings changed with him……..I reckon he’s realised that the last couple of years when he’s not had particularly good games, that it’s not just down to bad form, but that the cloggers of Scottish football have played a large part, and that he’s fighting back, not he has confidence in his own ability. Big year I reckon.

Love Hagi, would never be out my first eleven, tremendous creativity and vision, he's only going to get better, he's improved from last season also, it's in his DNA he's a natural born footballer.

Reactions: BWO
Read on here someone saying they think he’s bulked up a bit, looks like it. He’s not going to be the fastest player on the park but showed a lot of strength a few times tonight, pair that ability to fend off players with his technical skills and we’ll have a monster of a player on our hands.

He isn't our best player, although at moment probably most on form.

He does however, imo, have the most potential of anyone playing football in Scotland.

It is becoming increasingly difficult not to love Ianis Hagi.

I like the lad, but end product, cutting edge, final ball, shooting - any comments on Hagi from tonight.??

Effort etc. is fine, but you have to combine that with and end product in his position. Tonight was not great in that respect.

He needs to improve on that.

End product, cutting edge, final ball, shooting - any comments on Hagi from tonight.??

Effort etc. is fine, but you have to combine that with and end product in his position. Tonight was not great in that respect.

He needs to improve on that.
He was involved in most of our better attacks.
Laid a chance on a plate for Kent. That's an assist for Hagi if Kent keeps his shot down.

Hagi is still improving, but he already has a great record of scoring and setting goals up relative to the number of starts he's made. Only Tav made more goals last season. He's already given us more than effort.

Laid a chance on a plate for Kent. That's an assist for Hagi if Kent keeps his shot down.

Hagi is still improving, but he already has a great record of scoring and setting goals up relative to the number of starts he's made. Only Tav made more goals last season. He's already given us more than effort.
As I say mate, I like the lad and it is clear he has talent.

But I still expect a better end product and for his decision making to be better. I felt both these aspects were generally not that great tonight.

Yep, I never thought he could toughen up, really happy to be proved wrong
I noticed how hard he battled in games last season, not just crumbling under challenges but rather getting stuck in. It showed the right attitude. But tonight he looked a lot stronger physically and came out on top a lot more, that run where he held one of them off to the point he just assaulted Hagi said it all.

Brilliant player and he has really stepped it up another level already this season. His attitude is bang on as well. Ive always been a big fan of his, said a few times on here, this lad is going all the way to the top.

The headed chance for Morelos around the 60 min mark was another great setup, Alfie headed wide to the front post from deep . Was a cracking right footed driven flat cross by Ianis

Last edited:
Hagi can go as far as he wants to go. He's got all the talent in the world, lets hope he can step up and fulfill it.

Thought last night was one of his best games for us. He didn’t score or assist but his all round play was excellent he was everywhere, no wonder he went down with cramp and even when he did he jumped back up to chase the ball down. The boys a star and has started the season on fire.

Hagi just doing hagi shit tonight. What we have missed! The pass for the goal isnt a strong/fast cross it is almost a delicate ball right to Roofe

Outstanding mate,and quite right,id actually love to see Hagi play as a old school number 10 at some point.
The lad has so much potential

Same, him with roofe & Alfredo as a two upfront. We should be trying this at times. Both have the movement to pull defenders all over the place.

Outstanding mate,and quite right,id actually love to see Hagi play as a old school number 10 at some point.
The lad has so much potential
Wasn’t that what he told rangers tv when he arrived and was asked his favoured position…..,,something like, you’ll get the best out of me playing me at 10

Can I shag a post?

Back