Hagi - slowly turning into the playmaker we have needed for years?

You could see from start he was a player and came in for some absolute bullshit criticism from some quarters.

He will lose the ball at times as he has 2 and 3 players on him, he is trying to create and just because he is always wanting it, but when it does work, when he can get the ball off for the one two he can take those 2/3 sometimes more players out the game. As someone else said, he is still underused, he should be getting the ball more, always finds himself a yard or 2. Having the courage to shoot from distance as well, ok today never came off, but it gives the defenders something else to think about as well. Fantastic player.

His work rate is fantastic and he takes a fair bit of stick from cloggers. Always gets up and gets on with it. Not everything will come off but never hides

I think we will struggle to keep him, he is a top 5 league player easy once his consistency clicks.
He will of course move onto better things, but that is also a part of our mechanics going forward.

He will be an expensive player in a couple of years and I don’t see him jumping ship when we have a CL slot looming.

Hagi is perfect example of getting young talent in working with them improving them and then they will flourish. Still not finished article but whoever ends up with him is going to have a tremendous player on their hands. His ceiling could be very high indeed.

Sometimes that moment of brilliance is all you need in games where he might not be involved so much. Hagi is that type of player.

You could see from start he was a player and came in for some absolute bullshit criticism from some quarters.

He will lose the ball at times as he has 2 and 3 players on him, he is trying to create and just because he is always wanting it, but when it does work, when he can get the ball off for the one two he can take those 2/3 sometimes more players out the game. As someone else said, he is still underused, he should be getting the ball more, always finds himself a yard or 2. Having the courage to shoot from distance as well, ok today never came off, but it gives the defenders something else to think about as well. Fantastic player.
Watch him always dropping into pockets and then play quick passes intelligent and skilful. Needs wee bit more experience that's all. Robust nature of scottish football will hold him in good stead a la arteta

So glad he was not subbed. Don’t know if his fitness is maybe now where it should be but the good non-stop work he did today was a real standout. Unlucky not to score. He looks so hungry for one.

He will of course move onto better things, but that is also a part of our mechanics going forward.

He will be an expensive player in a couple of years and I don’t see him jumping ship when we have a CL slot looming.
I don't think it will be jumping ship as such, the players are obviously loving life just now. The likes of Hagi and Kamara though need to be sold at some point unfortunately for our business model.

Sell ons as part of the sale are essential

Watch him always dropping into pockets and then play quick passes intelligent and skilful. Needs wee bit more experience that's all. Robust nature of scottish football will hold him in good stead a la arteta
Good comparison actually when Arteta first played I thought he wasn't strong enough for Scottish football but he got stronger and stronger, probably helped him later in his career

My MOTM as well. (Him or BB) He was dangerous throught the entire match. He also offered great balance with Borna coming down the left. Was very unlucky not to get on the scoresheet today.

After hopefully featuring in the Champions League next season, he's going to be in demand. He'll make us a fortune when he leaves so let's all enjoy him whilst he's here. A bit like Gattuso, we'll consider him one of our own all the way through his career wherever that takes him.

Hagi was outstanding today, if I was to offer some constructive criticism it would be that he needs to learn to look after the ball a wee bit better.

I think some see his first touch as an issue but I think he deliberately touches it like he does to draw the defender in and at the last possible second he gets there before them to draw the foul. It is insane how many fouls he draws.

Hatley summed it up on RTV.

He said he needed to put on weight when he joined us, due to the nature of the game in Scotland.

Last edited:
I love him. Really love him.

He's not the finished article, but we knew that, however he's tenacious and resilient to go with his talent.

At times he reminds me why I love this game.

Two footed player, young, set piece ability, does not hide, takes on responsibility, smart and wins fouls without getting knocked off of his game. I was delighted with Hagi today shame he did not get goal but another assist.

Firstly, excellent OP.

I’ve liked Hagi from day one.

He’s got the brilliant mix of talent, a hard work ethic, and a maturity that’s rare in a young footballer.

He’ll do some amazing things for us and go on to have a fantastic career.

We’re lucky to have him – but he’s lucky to be at our club under Gerrard.

Hagi and Rangers are a match made in heaven.

Today, for me, Hagi was MOTM by a distance which speaks volumes with how good Kent and Davis were. He seemed to be everywhere, involved in everything and never, ever gave up. Some of his touches are just disgusting (in a great way) and his vision is something you just cannot teach.

I truly believe he is going to blossom under Gerrard and will achieve amazing things in his career, wherever it takes him.
Excellent today, fantastic player

I think some see his first touch as an issue but I think he deliberately touches it like he does to draw the defender in and at the last possible second he gets there before them to draw the foul. It is insane how many fouls he draws.
Instinct and perception mate, I agree with you 100%

Aribo thinks the same way, thought they have slightly different techniques on how they defy the oncoming player.

I think that's 9 assist this season we've been crying out for that kind of return from an attacking midfielder
He's not allowing Tav to pull away from him.

gn22.png

Three assists in Europa League as well.

He stood out today from the rest of players, his ability and intelligence when on the ball is of top class.
Hopefully will stay with us for quite a while, if not am sure will get a good fee for him.

Today, for me, Hagi was MOTM by a distance which speaks volumes with how good Kent and Davis were. He seemed to be everywhere, involved in everything and never, ever gave up. Some of his touches are just disgusting (in a great way) and his vision is something you just cannot teach.

I truly believe he is going to blossom under Gerrard and will achieve amazing things in his career, wherever it takes him.
I think gerrard will mould him into the player that he was. Hagi has all the attributes to do that hes not shy on shooting too Which i think gerrard will be telling him to do

Really enjoyed his performance today.

Nearly scored an absolute screamer from outside the box too. (On that note, I like that he is always happy to shoot from distance.)

Keep it up Ianis!

Last edited:

He's superb. He also tracks back and tackles as well. His assists rate this season has been great as well.

What a talent he is.

He is developing into a huge threat on the final third - two footed great vision and always looking to create sonrthing. His footballing brain works that bit quicker than othets. He is also adapting to the physicality in the SPFL. He was a passenger at the start when not in possession but is showing a much more competitive side to his game.

Back