Hagi v Lowry

As usual, FollowFollow totally over the top when a youngster appears and does well. Lowry did do very well last night, took his goal superbly and his general play was decent when he had the ball. He deserves more outings. That's it. It wasn't the midfield masterclass you'd think reading some of the posts on here.

Let's not allow the disdain some of our support have for Hagi to cloud their judgement of Lowry's performance last night though. The lad can be proud, he can - hopefully - look forward to further appearances. As GvB said though, he's still got an awful lot to learn. He will get other chances I'm sure, but I'd warrant it will be a fair while before he gets a start in a game.

Agree with this.

Hagi has been awful this season, and why is everyone suggesting lowry starts on the bench in the first team?? If Lowry is good enough why not play him and give him a chance?? Swear everyone is scared of playing youngsters. He can’t be worse than Hagi anyways, like playing with 10 men.

Hagi has been awful this season, and why is everyone suggesting lowry starts on the bench in the first team?? If Lowry is good enough why not play him and give him a chance?? Swear everyone is scared of playing youngsters. He can’t be worse than Hagi anyways, like playing with 10 men.
Hagi was a key factor in us winning the league last season with his assists and goals, he hasn’t had the best of times this season but nobody really has.

The disrespect he gets shown on here is ridiculous.

the problem with dropping hagi is that his attacking figures are probably as good as anybody at the club. I agree that he doesnt dominate a game very often but he is someone who creates something every game

Folk are mental. Utterly mental.

Lowry has a lot of learning (and growing) to do before taking a starting spot in the first team.

He can only play 5 games for the first team before he can't play for the B team? We don't want to waste his opportunity to play football this season by giving him a few minutes here and there off the bench.

Hagi's goals and assists speak for themselves. Lowry looked really good and composed last night and I'd like to see him in the first team squad.

The amount of stick that Hagi gets on here is unreal.

Lundstram looked like Patrick Vieira last night as well. The kid looked great and I'd like to see him more but its still Hagi's jersey to lose IMO
Yeah, he did indeed play like a 45 year old! He was actually fine, but no more than that and we really do need a lot more from him and against much better opposition.
Agree with you on Lowry v Hagi. Certainly for now.

There is a certain type of Rangers fan who seems to exist just to join a mob who want to attack and bully our own players. I have seen it dozens of times in my decades watching us, and social media clearly makes it worse because this type of anti-fan finds other like minded individuals who enjoy creating campaigns to constantly denigrate our own players.
This is not entirely focused on just this thread, but the constant run of threads that are attacking Hagi.

What’s the actual point of your thread?

Are you suggesting Lowry is now due a start ahead of Hagi?

Or insinuating Lowry is a better player than Hagi after a few minutes on the pitch vs Stirling Albion?

The answer to both is no.

Sensationalist pish at its finest

This is utter madness, he had quite a few nice flashes and an excellent goal but struggled in the air and in physical challenges.

He's an outstanding prospect, and I'm excited to watch his career, but nowhere near ready to be an impact player in the SPFL. Can only play 5 senior games before he loses 'B' team eligibility so can't see him featuring much this year.

Nae, Nae and thrice nae!

I've been following this kids progression up the age divisions since he was cutting about with mad long hair in the babes sides. I don't want that kid going anywhere in Scotland!

Any teams in the 2nd or Championship would ruin the player in him. He's already playing in the Lowland league so he knows what its like to play against men week in week out and that's all while he's been dealing with natural growth and development which can take a hell of a lot out of a young athlete. As far as I'm concerned he needs a bit more stamina and a pound or two in weight but his development as a player is with the first team squad no one else can offer him what he'll get here. Although in saying that I wouldn't refuse him an overseas loan.
What about loaning him to a SPL team then? He needs minutes at a higher level before he becomes a first team squad regular imo and he won't get enough minutes coming off our bench.

Going overseas at that age isn't without it's perils as well, not as easy as some may think.

Alex Lowry did very well last night. He was playing against a team one level up from the standard he normally plays against in the Lowland League. It’s another three levels up to the Premiership (and, despite what some think, that’s a massive jump). It’s, therefore, not a fair comparison at the moment. I do agree that we should be getting a lot more from Hagi.
I agree that we need more from Hagi. But sometimes he does try to do too much on his own. I get the impression that he is trying to live up to the reputation of his father, a great player, rather than simply being himself. I would like to see him blend into the team rather than trying to be an individual.

Losing Aribo and Hagi means we have nobody really who can use quick feet in tight areas around the box to unlock a defense.

What about loaning him to a SPL team then? He needs minutes at a higher level before he becomes a first team squad regular imo and he won't get enough minutes coming off our bench.

Going overseas at that age isn't without it's perils as well, not as easy as some may think.
He's got the skill I just don't think he's quite ready for regular first team football physically. I think he's still got to grow into himself a bit yet so this time next year he'll be there or there about with the right diet/management. The game at first team level is much faster especially in the SPFL and stamina is essential. I'm not saying he doesn't have stamina I'm saying I think he should be with the first team squad to train with the intensity of a first team player and develop it. Also if we play him another 4 times or so then he'll drop out of the B-side as I think he can only play 4-5 first team games before he has to drop out. We don't want to mess up that development unless we are absolutely certain his body can deal with the jump in intensity.

If we give him the game time to grow he will be better than their Turnbull that’s worth £125m. This lad plays with his head up and his movement off the ball comes naturally!!

He is 18 which admittedly is young but when you have the ability he obviously does then it doesnt matter. Really good players always break through early, the fact they have the gift they do makes their age an irrelevance. You could see his touch and football intelligence as soon as he was on the ball, quick feet and a quick brain.

Quite interesting listening to the european football correspondants starting to panic and calling for calm anytime someone says they were impressed with this lad.... theres not been much calm or discipline in the past when it comes to speaking about Hagi i dont think the way a section of the support have totally overrated him has helped at all.

Not getting carried away when i say this , i genuinely believe that Lowry is a better footballer than most of our first team squad already including Hagi. The only disadvantage he has is obviously a bit lightweight yet. As i said earlier the really good players break through earlier. Durrant and the two fergusons for example. Perhaps this season is a bit early when you have the 5 game rule barring him from the b team. Definitely next season he is a first team player, sell Hagi in the summer and this boy takes his place.

The criticism of Hagi on here is mind boggling. He is amongst our best footballers.

Young Lowry’s time will come but a decent showing against a glorified pub team is merely the first step in his journey.
Good footballers can usually control a ball and have a good first touch (something hagi struggles with far too often). The hype over Hagi is nothing more than his surname is hagi and his dad was class IMO.

For me, Hagi has had plenty of time to shine. He’s not shone enough.

In the time that young Alex Lowry was on the park yesterday, he demonstrated far more skill, drive, purpose and furthermore, scored a goal.

Yes this was Stirling Albion but Hagi looked pedestrian and the game took off when Lowry came on.

Hope he gets his head down and continues to feature. Kennedy and Patterson made appearances v Stranraer a couple of years ago and should have been the block to build from.
Hagi “looked pdestrian “
He was on park for 15 minutes!!!
Yes Lowry can on and looked a player but I don’t think that’s what you are trying to say.

Hagi was a key factor in us winning the league last season with his assists and goals, he hasn’t had the best of times this season but nobody really has.

The disrespect he gets shown on here is ridiculous.
No one is allowed to have a dip in form.... it's "get them tae f*ck" !
the way it is with some is we'd have a squad of 5 players if we got players tae f*ck because of a bad touch.. a bad decision or a bad game.

Was inevitable someone would start a thread like this.

Those of us who've seen a good bit of Lowry know that he's got the most potential out of our young players and he did very well last night, even though he dropped out it for spells in the 2nd half.

However, he's still got a long way to go before he's a regular around the first team.

Gio said as much last night and Lowry will know it too.

He's an outstanding prospect, but let's not rush him.
Let him develop and mature at the right pace.

Let him enjoy his brilliant debut without unnecessary pressure being put on him.

Calm down. It was 80 minutes against Stirling Albion.

Let’s the boy find his feet in and around the first team without making him a superstar straight away

Good footballers can usually control a ball and have a good first touch (something hagi struggles with far too often). The hype over Hagi is nothing more than his surname is hagi and his dad was class IMO.

Look at key goals (Wednesday e.g.) and assists. Ianis Hagi ain’t his Da’ but he is amongst our most talented players.

For me, Hagi has had plenty of time to shine. He’s not shone enough.

In the time that young Alex Lowry was on the park yesterday, he demonstrated far more skill, drive, purpose and furthermore, scored a goal.

Yes this was Stirling Albion but Hagi looked pedestrian and the game took off when Lowry came on.

Hope he gets his head down and continues to feature. Kennedy and Patterson made appearances v Stranraer a couple of years ago and should have been the block to build from.
tripe.

let the lad develop.

Never seen a Rangers player in my life who‘s performances are as over-analysed as Ianis Hagi.

He was on for about 10 minutes last night.. give the kid a break.

What a stupid f uckin OP.
Get rid of Hagi and put in Lowry a young guy who looked promising ok but we were playing a lower team. Can the young guy hack at the top. They rarely do. Some people get excited at the drop of a hat.

It’s more of a question of Hagi v Sakala given how Gio plays, and I remain absolutely baffled at how young Ianis is still starting games ahead of Fashion Jr.

I want Hagi to succeed with every fibre of my being, but Sakala continues nearly every time he’s on the park and Hagi doesn’t.

Lundstram looked like Patrick Vieira last night as well. The kid looked great and I'd like to see him more but its still Hagi's jersey to lose IMO

Agreed. It was nice to see Lundstram and Lowry doing their bit yesterday. I think the most that came out of the game for our Manager was the players who never really stood out, who are not regulars.

Boys like lowry should be getting chances at home against teams like livi and St. Mirren with a full strength team around them. Great for their development and also keeps regulars on their toes, young guys have the hunger, energy and desire to push regulars on to keep their places.

Said in another thread that we should be looking to move Hagi on in this window and cash in on his name while we can.

Lowry needs a chance to develop before coming a first team squad regular, although it's good for him to get some minutes where appropriate. Quality loan for the first half of next season should be the next stage in his development plan.
I’m having my doubts about the loan system being used this way.
I get the theory but not seen it yet.

The whipping Hagi receives is embarrassing.
Gerrard and Gio have kept playing him even out wide over 2 wingers we have. And talks he'll be getting a new deal. Going out on a limb but maybe he's actually decent. And fingers need pointed elsewhere?

Boy is just starting in his preferred role and scored on Tuesday when nobody else was going score for us in that match.

That said I first seen Lowry at the Alkass Cup when he was 15, looked a player then and just keep seeing his with assists and goals for the B team since.

If we were under Gerrard I doubt we'd have seen Lowry or King play last night.

Back