Hagi v Lowry

One thing I like about Lowry over Hagi is that sometimes little can happen with him on the ball, he can just take it and move it on. With Hagi, it always feels like it’s magic or madness everytime he gets the ball.

Hagi gets some stick but can't really argue his assist numbers, not a lot of pace but great technique to unlock a defence, that said hopefully the 5 subs rule now allows us to give young players more opportunities

Possibly. But you’d be looking at a loan at a higher level if not in the squads
That's fine, but the B team players are pretty much all available for loan and so far noone seems to have wanted him.

I'm also not sure if Rangers and Rangers B don't count as separate teams for the purposes of how many teams you can play for in a year. He may not have the option any more

That's fine, but the B team players are pretty much all available for loan and so far noone seems to have wanted him.

I'm also not sure if Rangers and Rangers B don't count as separate teams for the purposes of how many teams you can play for in a year. He may not have the option any more
Fair point never thought of that.

Maybe over exuberance but on that display he’s done himself no harm in getting a spot in the first team squad.

The sort of player that should be in place of the deadwood we could be doing with clearing

Hagi gets some stick but can't really argue his assist numbers, not a lot of pace but great technique to unlock a defence, that said hopefully the 5 subs rule now allows us to give young players more opportunities
What are his assist numbers this season?

Hagi has been here a while and given plenty of chances and game time yet failed to prove he should be a starter. You'd be hard pushed to find anyone thinking he should be starting against celtic in a few weeks. That's telling.

Hagi has done the business against Braga in a knockout European tie worth millions to the club. Lowry has done the business against a bunch of fat part timers in the Scottish League Two.

Let’s not get carried away. Lowry absolutely should be integrated into the first team from now but Hagi is on another level right at this moment, just badly off form.

Maybe over exuberance but on that display he’s done himself no harm in getting a spot in the first team squad.

The sort of player that should be in place of the deadwood we could be doing with clearing
He played really well last night.

When Hagi plays really well, it's at a level Lowry can't match - at least yet.

When Hagi plays poorly Lowry on that performance looks like an option.

When Lowry plays poorly lowland league games pass him by. If he had one of those games in the spfl the same instant reaction crowd who have the anointing oil out today would be demanding the manager's head for playing a kid who's miles off being ready.

Having watched Lowry quite a bit, if I had to project what he looks like in 4 years time, the best comparison I can come up with is... Iannis Hagi. And I'd be thrilled for him and us if that's the case.

Hagi gets a hell of a lot of negative comments on here. It’s like many can’t wait for him to be gone.

Can play 5 first games before becoming ineligible for the B team.

Tap the breaks on that

Maybe the reason he started well last night when many of the fringe players didn't was because he's been playing regularly.
My personal preference is that he goes out on loan somewhere he will play regularly, like a championship club for example, possibly Killie.

Folk talking about Hagis assists.

I take it theyve not watched Rangers all season.

Jack Simpson has more assists in the league this season than Hagi.

In the league this season he has played 15 games scored 2 and assisted 0.

Tell you what the boy looks after the ball far better than hagi does

Early days defo a talent great first touch his flick towards the end was top class think it played in tav

Look forward to seeing more of the lad

Im more concerned about the players who are genuinely around the first team and the slackness in their roles last night. Bacuna, Lundstram for starters. Our current midfield with the injury’s and absences is worrying if that’s the quality behind them.

Lowrey was a breath of fresh air and someone who is genuinely comfortable on the ball, looking for it, in space and can make things happen. Very early for him but he should be getting time this season with the 5 sub rule
I agree - i've often found it frustrating to see a group of players who have been consistently underwhelming preventing promising young players like Lowry from getting the minutes they need to develop their game.

If anything minimum he deserves is to be out the B team
Heard that with Thomson saying always in contact with club to take young ones on loan, one thing about any of our players going to Kelty at least they would be well looked after and getting them game time above B team, but agree Lowry shoud be around first time squad now I liked the way when receiving the ball always looking around checking whats around him, boy has been a stand out for B team now time for him to step up a level, King also looked the part last night, just a shame it was 3 subs would have liked to see McCann as well, to think the boys that are still to come through as well like Weston, McAusland etc future is looking good

Was inevitable someone would start a thread like this.

Those of us who've seen a good bit of Lowry know that he's got the most potential out of our young players and he did very well last night, even though he dropped out it for spells in the 2nd half.

However, he's still got a long way to go before he's a regular around the first team.

Gio said as much last night and Lowry will know it too.

He's an outstanding prospect, but let's not rush him.
Let him develop and mature at the right pace.

Let him enjoy his brilliant debut without unnecessary pressure being put on him.
Andy Little on rtv last night was very complimentary about Lowry but he also said that he has a lot still to learn from watching him in the lowland league.with the greatest respect to Stirling Albion it was an ideal scenario for Lowry to get his first team debut as Stirling Albion isn’t a big step up from playing in the lowland league.granted he got more game time than everyone thought including him and Gio but to suggest he replaces Hagi is madness.in time he may well replace Hagi but let the boy settle into life in the first team squad.

Tap the breaks on that

Maybe the reason he started well last night when many of the fringe players didn't was because he's been playing regularly.
I said it last night in the match thread,last night we seen why the b team playing in the lowland league works for us.both lads coming on were match ready and didn’t look like two teenagers out of their depth or rabbits caught in the headlights and I think that is down to the b team playing in a competitive environment where points matter.

Why?

He gave King his debut against a better team, and played him in the league last season, as well as giving 10 other academy players their debut.
Who are the 10? McCrorrie, King, Patterson, Maxwell, Dickson, Kennedy?

It's not just 'being around the first team squad' - it's ensuring that a strategy is in place to determine when and under what circumstances they are given playing time, and how long that time will be.

What are his assist numbers this season?

Hagi has been here a while and given plenty of chances and game time yet failed to prove he should be a starter. You'd be hard pushed to find anyone thinking he should be starting against celtic in a few weeks. That's telling.
Tbf you're right from what I can see he's only had 3/4 assists this season - the most assists behind taverniers 11 is 4 though for the whole squad which is a bit concerning. Last season he had 15 which was very respectable, don't think anyone denies he has the talent just needs to show it more consistently

Why?

He gave King his debut against a better team, and played him in the league last season, as well as giving 10 other academy players their debut.
Don't believe he would make the swap Hagi for Lowry so soon.

Reckon he would have played Bassy LB and Balogun CB and bring on Simpson later on.

10 academy players in competive matches last season? I know a few got run outs in friendlies.

Don't believe he would make the swap Hagi for Lowry so soon.

Reckon he would have played Bassy LB and Balogun CB and bring on Simpson later on.

10 academy players in competive matches last season? I know a few got run outs in friendlies.
I meant he gave debuts to 10 others in competitive games across his tenure, could have worded it better.

Hagi gets a lot of unwarranted criticism in my opinion, feel like he always contributes in one way or another even when not at his best

He’s played one game and it was against Stirling Albion ffs. Far too early to even compare the two.

Mental to be even discussing this.

Hagi is an international footballer, and Lowry is an 18 year old who has played well for the B team in Junior Football and played well against Stirling Albion, a league two team.

Hagi will be first choice and quite rightly.
But Lowry certainly deserves some minutes.

This is where the 5 subs rule will benefit us - hopefully if we are comfortable in some games - 3up for example we will slowly see more of Lowry / King etc.

Hagi has looked miles off it since the first 30 mins of the season after he got injured last night was no different playing against that level of opposition he should look light years ahead of them.
Young Charlie McCann knocking on the door of the first team as well. VGood midfielder

I have been keeping an eye on Lowry since he played in the 2019 Al Kass Cup. He continues to develop, getting physically stronger and had a great debut last night. He lacks experience at the top level but I feel sure he'll get game time this season. But he has some way to go to match Hagi though I think he will in due course. But IMHO due course is not yet.

Well given he's almost first name on the team sheet, I can only conclude Gio doesn't have a FF login. Although I'm sure the club will have told him if he ever needs any footballing wisdom, this is the place to come.

One has over a hundred and fifty first team appearances and twenty four full international caps, the other just made his senior debut against a team from a league three divisions down.

Hopefully he gets more first team exposure soon but we need to keep things in perspective here.

I like Hagi a lot he's a great professional and a credit to the club. Whether he is injured or not though I reckon Lowry deserves a start against Livi.

He turned yesterday's game round, so I think he earned it. Its a step up, so if he can perform it does show that he can play at this level. Sometimes you do need to roll the dice on a player, and it may start a steep development and building of confidence that unlock a seriously good player. But it may not and It could be too soon and there is only one way to find out which is to give him a chance, a start.

For me, Hagi has had plenty of time to shine. He’s not shone enough.

In the time that young Alex Lowry was on the park yesterday, he demonstrated far more skill, drive, purpose and furthermore, scored a goal.

Yes this was Stirling Albion but Hagi looked pedestrian and the game took off when Lowry came on.

Hope he gets his head down and continues to feature. Kennedy and Patterson made appearances v Stranraer a couple of years ago and should have been the block to build from.
Embarrassing post.

Just so you know he hasn't assisted a single goal this season domestically but if you question that you are out of order and a bully apparently.

Last edited:
For me, Hagi has had plenty of time to shine. He’s not shone enough.

In the time that young Alex Lowry was on the park yesterday, he demonstrated far more skill, drive, purpose and furthermore, scored a goal.

Yes this was Stirling Albion but Hagi looked pedestrian and the game took off when Lowry came on.

Hope he gets his head down and continues to feature. Kennedy and Patterson made appearances v Stranraer a couple of years ago and should have been the block to build from.
Sadly agree with your summation of Hagi.
Flatters to deceive.

Lowry looked like 'a light in the black' last night.

I wouldn’t be starting Lowry anytime soon let him develop at his own pace and see how it goes. No point putting too much pressure on his shoulders.

Hagi just isn’t good enough, to slow footed, poor first touch constantly. Was poor last night when he was on the park as well. He’s a sub at best and I’ll take anyone else starting over him at this point cause he’s a man down when he starts a game. He’s had his opportunities this season and he’s done %^*& all with them 2 league goals all season long and no assists, terrible for an attacking midfielder.

Hagi is a conundrum. GVB and Stevie G certainly know a good midfielder when they see one.
He must show stuff in training that we don’t see often enough in competitive matches as he was very rarely left out by Gerrard and has been a permanent fixture under GVB.
If this injury is going to keep him out for a few games then a solution has to be found quickly.
It would be a lot of pressure to put on Alex Lowry.
Jack and Davis will not be ready and James Sands clearly did not look like a creative attacking midfield player.
Without big Joe and Hagi we are clearly very short in that key position.

People really need to stop instantly piling pressure on players coming through and potentially unsettling first team players just because a prospect has a decent game. Let the manager and coaches manage the player and allow the player to learn and mature.

Hagi is a conundrum. GVB and Stevie G certainly know a good midfielder when they see one.
He must show stuff in training that we don’t see often enough in competitive matches as he was very rarely left out by Gerrard and has been a permanent fixture under GVB.
If this injury is going to keep him out for a few games then a solution has to be found quickly.
It would be a lot of pressure to put on Alex Lowry.
Jack and Davis will not be ready and James Sands clearly did not look like a creative attacking midfield player.
Without big Joe and Hagi we are clearly very short in that key position.
Hagi is a forward, not a midfielder.

Hagi is a forward, not a midfielder.
If we get a first choice right winger he is not an attacker. (Playing Haji wide on the right is just not worked)
Our first choice front three would be Kent, Morelos and A N Other.
GVB would play him in the hole behind the front three.

If we get a first choice right winger he is not an attacker. (Playing Haji wide on the right is just not worked)
Our first choice front three would be Kent, Morelos and A N Other.
GVB would play him in the hole behind the front three.
Exactly.

If we get somebody else better then Hagi doesn't feature in the forward 3.

He's not a midfielder in the 433 system we use.

Ergo, he's not a midfielder, he's a forward, and at the moment he's a pretty disappointing one.

Exactly.

If we get somebody else better then Hagi doesn't feature in the forward 3.

He's not a midfielder in the 433 system we use.

Ergo, he's not a midfielder, he's a forward, and at the moment he's a pretty disappointing one.
What I’m trying to say is that Gio will pick him and play him in the midfield if he gets another attacker no matter what.
He was in the midfield against Aberdeen and was completely ineffective.
It will only be when big Joe gets back that there is a chance Hagi won’t play in midfield.

Thought Lowry had a great game but too many on here have him a £20m player already.
Lets leave that kind of stuff to our “rivals”
If for any reason other than the player himself doesn’t need it.

Back